Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I can't see them killing off any of them now though (surely would have done this while Lalo was still about), so it limits what they can possibly do with either character. Maybe we see Kim working as a pro-bono attorney under her new identity or providing free legal aid with Jimmy looking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah, I just took ‘Nippy’ as the usual BCS multiple meaning title. Have to be Nippy to think fast on your feet when in trouble, or literally run fast to avoid trouble.

I did wonder if Saul/Gene was actually emotional thinking about his life in the improv speech he made.

Or whether it was similar to the speech he gave to the legal hearing to get his practice licence back.

I am still undecided on which it was Given all the past events.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dmn22

Seems unlikely seen as they made a big deal of her quitting being a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I would definitely watch 3 out of those 4.

Not Lydia. Never Lydia.

Awholeseries.... ofher..... sayingsomewords..... veryquickly..... then.... weirdlylongpauses..... inbetween....

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Well she had to give up 'that' life but as can be seen by Gene in this latest episode, its hard to give up the things you like, and Kim did like helping people with the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I don't think I've posted here since Howard was shot. THAT was a real heart attack moment for me, but putting him in a goddam hole under the lab, oh that was callous writing, which makes it brilliant. That is probably one of those scenes that will ALWAYS come to mind when I think of BCS. Poor Howard. ( a bit like the poor singing chemist in BB - Gale).

I felt the segue into Saul, after Kim's very abrupt departure, was a bit forced. However, there aren't enough episodes left to draw it out too much. I've always felt that Jimmy 'plays' Saul, not 'becomes' Saul. In 'Gene world' I think its Jimmy - not Saul - that engineers the heist. I thought it was a great plan for getting shot of Jeff. The only thing is, I thought the other Jeff was never going to be conned (based on the other guy's acting) , he seemed too street smart. I enjoyed yesterdays episode. Really focuses on how meticulous Jimmy is, and I forgive him this transgression. No one is physically hurt, and he has neutralised a threat.

I never caught the significance of the wine bar scene. I'm going to go back and look at it, and especially the closing shot of the wine bottle. The way they hung on it suggests we're going to see it again. But I was watching it on a tablet, I can see better on the big telly. As far as suggesting Gus is gay, and despite the toys in the hall (I was looking for them when Mike and the boys were going between the safe houses), wasn't Gus being gay alluded to way back when? I'm pretty sure either Hector or someone he's talking to, refers to Max as "the girlfriend". Might have been at the pool in Mexico. Since then, I assumed he was.

Anyway, I'm not all that pushed about the catching up to BB. I only want to see what happens to Gene/Jimmy and Kim. How can we bring him redemption???? I know, I'm a sucker! 😨😔🤣

Sorry, unable to quote selectively from your post. The impromptu speech was great. But when he hesitates when he mentions "my brother" I took to mean he has regrets, and so THAT part of the speech was unintentionally sincere. Sometimes with this stuff, I forget they're actually acting. So even when Bob is acting someone acting, he does it really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

There was definitely sincerity in his speech. He delivered it to distract but drew on the truth. I do think he feels those things and knows the being Saul Goodman has lead him to this point in life.

That's funny, I never even thought about the multiple meanings of Nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭golfball37

Rubbish filler episode let’s be honest. One I’ll never rewatch like the Fly.

Still an excellent show though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was not a fan of this episode, I wondered where it was going, wondering why we had to sit through watching a fat lad eating countless cakes when so many other recent episodes are action packed. I thought the blackmail bit was brilliant, but it was like sitting through somebody needlessly stretching out a joke to death, which might have a great punchline but jaysus it could have been told quicker.

• Advertisement

I was one of those who hated the BB fly episode. But Nippy is no where near similar to it.

Why ?

Nippy showed -

1) The internal character conflict of Jimmy/Saul/Gene

2) The resolving of the Jeff issue or allowance of a future catch on that story

The fly episode in contrast contributed nothing to the plot. It was only put in to the BB series because they were short of money.

I thought there was fantastic drama in it. It was needed to show how meticulous the planning was. I thought they got the pacing ok. Slowly building up the drama. The obstacle course, will Jeff phone the police? etc.

Personally I was that drawn into the episode I assumed the Jeff actor lost weight! And I even forgot I was watching in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

In S3E4, Don Eladio is presented with a Pollos Hermanos T-shirt.

"The Chicken Brothers!" he laughs.

"More like the Butt Brothers" replies Hector... a subtle hint right there?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Btw forgot to mention this, but did anyone notice the episode wasn't quite black and white ? a little bit sepia maybe ?

I am wondering will it slowly go into colour to merge with the current timeline ... but of course at this stage what is the current T/L ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I think Howard's death has an edge over Gale's.

Howard genuinely has no direct connection to this criminal underworld. He hasn't done anything to deserve what happens to him and, even in death, his personal legacy is destroyed. His company is renamed and sold. People will remember him as a drug addict who assaulted prostitutes and who ultimately killed himself as a result of his addictions. When all of this is entirely fictitious.

Gale, although personally non-violent, is a meth cook. He is a willing, if naïve, participant. And his ability does mean that Walter is disposable. There is a logic to Walter wanting to get rid of him.

Yeah, Howard's death is probably the saddest and most unfair in the BB-verse (named characters in more than 1 episode anyway, can't forget the kid on the bike at the train heist).

Jane's father's death was also a sad shocker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A lot thought Howard was a prick, they did everything they could to humanise him this series, when he asked that lad who picked up his car how he was getting on in college and few words of encouragement for him, and his chat with the young lad in the meeting room before the Sandpiper thing went down, remembered both their names as well.

He was definitely a bit of a prick in the early seasons. Nothing serious, but just arrogant and a bit self-centered. But particularly after Chuck's death he changed a lot.

Well in the episode 'Plan and Execution' in the meeting room Howard got the intern's name wrong.

Howard: Eh your'e Gary?

Cary - Cary Anderson

Also in that episode he cynically planned not to give Irene (the elderly class rep of Sandpiper class action) a chair at the table. He made sure that he brought a wheelchair for her, that he insisted that she use instead. It was all done for appearance purposes so Howard could leverage sympathy at the meeting in front of the judge.

He also told Irene the class action could take two to three years. Explaining how the wheels of justice work slowly.

But he did this because he is thinking of the firm/himself and not the clients. Trying to get a larger amount. When in all likelihood the class action could take many years. And a lot of those in Sandpiper would not be alive to see any money from the case.

I always feel that a lot of Howard's actions were that of a superficial salesman. I am not saying he was a prick. But the guy was fairly false. He did not have the balls to stand up to Chuck and let HHM hire Jimmy.

But at the same time was very quick to buy Chuck out of HHM when he thought he became a liability. Howard did so using his own money. Howard was all about self image and self interest. I am not saying he was a bad person. But he was a ruthless corporate man to the core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

We’re guaranteed that Walter and Jesse are making a reappearance yea?

Im really lost as to how the writers bring them in without it being disappointing.

Firstly they need to tackle the age difference. I know they got away with it with BCS but that was 6 seasons younger and also less prominent BB characters involved.

Secondly unless it’s a blatant novelty obvious cameo just for fun in the final scene or something then it will need to be relevant.

I guess a really insane twist could be that Walt faked his own death, but that would be as equally cringy as it would be amazing :D. Plus they would have to come up with a ridiculously elaborate story to explain how any theory or doubt was put to bed in El Camino.

I would be happy with a cameo nothing too obvious. But the real question is what time will they place them in. A flash forward, a flash back? They have a lot of options the way they have the show set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Hopefully they get Walt’s head right this time. It was very large in El Camino

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bits of the script leaking on Twitter for episode 11, be careful. This is all I managed to see, but I didn’t see the context, might be spoilery:

*Gene walks into Jeff’s home to find a distressed Marion*

GENE; “What is it Marion? Is Jeff okay?”

*Marion trembles, stares out the kitchen window and into the distance*

MARION; “Somehow, ASAC Schrader returned.”

*cuts to credits - 🎵 Eye of the Tiger, performed acapella by Dean Norris*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

On the Better Call Saul Insider Podcast with Peter Gould, there was a throwaway comment from the host that Jeff is coming back i.e. we are going to see more of him. I think we might see some of the BB era and see that turmoil and chaos that Walter White actually caused for other characters but I really hope we do not get 3 episodes set during this timeline. I have no idea what it adds to the story.

We also still have to deal with Francescas phonecall on November 12th at 15:00 (about 3 weeks after this episode).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yes, both actors said in interviews that they would be appearing, and also said they were surprised they were allowed disclose that by the BCS team. I expect they let them say it to drag in more ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Next episode called Breaking Bad? Theories on episode 11

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Good retrospective analysis of the ‘Nippy’ episode speculating that Jeff’s mother (Marion) and the shop manager (Cathy) could be Saul’s/Gene’s downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Have to say that BCS has been one of the best shows on TV for a long time. But why do all successful shows have to do these weird episodes? The sopranos did it. BB did it.

Thought that it was absolutely shite. The last season has been magnificent. No need for it. Really left a sour taste. I have read most of the detailed analysis above. Do people really care about the whole cinnabon nonsense?

Really put me off the last few episodes. The series should have ended once the Lalo and Kim stories were resolved.

Expecting Game of Thrones style stupid ending now. Arrrgghh. It was so good.....

Advertisement