Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Tells you to do it at the very start during the tutorial bits, think part of Abbey's gameplay, then tells you again when you hit long grass in Seattle, played a bit recently 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is TLOU2 worth a spin after I finish Elden Ring? I really enjoyed the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks like another Indie treat coming our way August 23rd, Midnight Fight Express.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s an interesting failure of a game. I give it credit for trying something, but it’s all a bit misjudged and confused and really can’t stick the themes it’s trying to tackle. It’s often trite and adolescent when it thinks it’s being insightful and mature. The gameplay is TLOU but better (with some cool semi-open world areas that are fun to explore) and you can see every cent of the budget on screen: it’s maybe one of the most graphically impressive games yet made. It’s also wayyyy overlong. It’s a mess, in other words, and your mileage will vary.

I’d personally say the just-released Stray is a better done example of the cinematic post-apocalyptic action-adventure game than TLOU2. And much, much shorter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's overlong and a mess. Much better games out there worth your time but also you'll probably enjoy it despite the flaws.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed 2 but the 2nd half was a bit of a slog with a great finale section. Loved the story and where they went with it. Saying that, I cleared it once and for the plat half way through the 2nd playthrough and haven't played it since. I completed tlou about 9 times I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, buyer beware and all that. But ND have been deliberately vague here, and even loyal fans who'd normally have backed them are calling them out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

I think you're vastly underestimating how much work goes into a game like this, to suggest it might have been the work of a fortnight or a month.

Yes, the level design and story etc was done, but rebuilding the entire game is a huge undertaking. It's more than just recreating all of the assets, it's a new engine, new rendering tech, new animations, rewriting all of the AI and gameplay code and testing to make sure it all works as before but with support for the added compatibility with haptic feedback and new accessibility features where Naughty Dog once again are at the forefront of the industry.

There will be a huge number of players who've never played the game before, particularly as it's coming to PC for the first time and will be tying in with a TV show. The PC version probably necessitated a rewrite to a large extent as releasing something that was built for PS3 wouldn't really stand up on modern PC hardware.

If you've already played it and don't want to pay then don't. Or if you want to get the old version more cheaply you can, it still exists. I've never understood the level of entitlement in the gaming community. They're putting a product out there and it's your choice to buy it or not. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who will be glad of the option to play the game for the first time with cutting edge modern technology powering it.

As an aside, €80 is still a hell of a lot cheaper than a typical N64 game cost when you account for inflation. And it'll undoubtedly be on sale for half of that within a year, if not free on a subscription service. Gaming has generally got cheaper over the years when you account for inflation and you get more for your money these days than you ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, I get you!

I'm a mid to big fan of ND myself, I just hate price gouging and lack the eloquence to call it out properly 🙂

I think you've picked me up wrong. I wasn't estimating anything!

In fact I was asking for clarity.

Goes into my comment above about lacking the ability to get my point across.

As for the rest of your post about inflation, I know! Wasn't talking about that! I'm not getting into economics.

The one thing I will say though, is there should be parity on the price of digital store front goods. $70 does not equal €80 and they can't use the excuse that the product has to be shipped!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

US prices don't include tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Indeed, and prior to the Euro tanking vs the dollar $70 was roughly €70 inc VAT, now it's €70 ex VAT. Was able to get the likes of Returnal and Demons Souls for about €55 digital from the US in Oregon where there's no sales tax before the slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yeah, that's fair enough, my mistake there!

Although some states do have a 0% tax, I guess it's just fair play to them! The highest tax is 9.55% and without getting a calc out, brings a game up to $77.

I won't get into the price of a digital good vs a boxed good though, cos there's loads of costs involved that I couldn't guess at how much they are, like file hosting on the digital side or costs of logistics on the physical side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Its not really entitlement, charging €80 is a shameless cash grab considering TLOU remastered still looks and plays well today. ND should be called out for it otherwise other companies might do the same.

Finally a release date for a game everyone knew was coming. Can't wait for this but I'm hoping that I'm finished Trails from Zero before it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

___

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, a remake of a 2003 role-playing game, is delayed indefinitely as developers at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media try to figure out what comes next. Aspyr also abruptly fired the game's art director and design director this month. In a series of meetings throughout July, Aspyr's two studio heads told employees that the project is on pause and that the company will look for new contracts and development opportunities, said the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation.

On June 30, Aspyr finalized a demo of the game, known as a vertical slice, to show to production partners Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC and Sony Group Corp. The developers were excited about it and felt like they were on track, according to a person familiar with the project, so they were shocked by what happened next.

The following week, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor. Neither responded to requests for comment, but Minor suggested on a social media page that his dismissal was unexpected.

One person familiar with the discussions suggested that a disproportionate amount of time and money had gone into the demo and that the project's current course wasn't sustainable. Another point of contention may be the timeline. At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.

Post edited by EoinMcLovin on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This remake and the Vampire masquerade game are two that I'm happy got delayed (don't want them cancelled). Even with more limited changes to a remake than a sequel there was still nothing they said game me hope for it.

I think the Mass effect andromeda writers might be cursed, as they were former writers from that on both of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Grand Theft Auto VI Will Have Female Main Character for First Time In Series' History [Latina Protag, Set in Vice City, scheduled FY2024]

• Grand Theft Auto 6 will feature a playable female protagonist for the first time; she's a latina that is one of a pair of leading characters, influenced by Bonnie & Clyde
    • Working title Project Americas
    • Main location is a fictional version of Miami + its surrounding areas
    • Game will evolve over time, adding new cities
    • The game world is already large; more interior locations than prev. GTA games

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now to see online comments.

Seriously though, one day I'll actually play a GTA to completion. One that isn't top down and lets me go on a Killllll Frenzy in a tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

You should take a trip to Liberty City. You can go for a relaxing game of bowling with some guy called Roman Bellic after going on a killing spree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mad; I wasn't even aware it WAS getting a remake; what was on the cards here, a spit & polish or full ground-up rebuild of its UI, controls etc?

Excellent news. I can already see the man babies freaking out. EA having a female player on the new fifa cover generated some awful comments on twitter. "I've nothing against women buuuuuut they should have used their budget on more important aspects of the game".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There hasn't been anything more embarrassing and saddening than watching so-called fans of sport tear their hair out at the relatively minor bump in female soccer/rugby coverage received of late. Or indeed if, gosh, a woman is part of the punditry team. Video Games don't have anything new to boast of here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's meant to be a full-on, large-scale, ground-up remake. It was announced at a Sony event as PS5 console-exclusive. It's separate to the more straightforward ports of the original KOTOR that have been launched or are due to launch on other platforms.

These are the same muppets that lost their **** over taking the knee against racism.

Indeed. And I wouldn't mind but any time I have watched a female pundit, they're usually pretty informed, pretty engaging; less full of empty guff than the cliché machines surrounding them.

Switch or Death.

• Advertisement

The originals are on switch. Need some updating but are or should be in better working order after a few patches like every other aspyr release.

Advertisement