Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

45 years of fast food chains in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Id rather just get nice chips within 5 mins which most chippers in Ireland are able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah, I think you're right about the LOI. He definitely owned or financed Limerick City back in the '80s. I think he was from down there. His PGFFC joints weren't exactly up to the same quality as the old KFC if I remember correctly. We'd only ever get it after the pub, or on a Tuesday when they'd have two snackboxes for the price of one. Chicken was a bit skanky though, but the chicken gravy was as addictive as Oxy. 🤪

That's not what you posted earlier though. You said they're already cooked and ready to be bagged up and it was the other stuff that takes 5 mins? You're changing the goalposts and defending an argument i didn't make.

Every single (geddit?) time, I'd prefer to wait 10+ mins and get fresh chips, rather than eat ones which have been sitting there for an unknown amount of time. Or, even worse, ones that have been cooked already and are just being reheated. Which is what you also posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Yeah, they were made part of the PressUp Group several years back. I've eaten there a few times and they were excellent. Now, I haven't been there in well over a decade. A visit from yours truly is way over due! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Before any of the bricks and mortar fast food joints in ireland there were what was known as chipper vans.

most towns/villages/crossroads had chipper vans at one time and they were in most dublin suburbs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

1 poster is on about wanting chippers to batter the fish “on demand”

most chippers here just throw frozen fish into the fryer and hope for the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not to derail thread but is there a reason you're in the dole in 2022? You could walk into a job in the morning and then you could order from the full McDonald's menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I remember them in the mid eighties. They'd be at the beach in the Summer aswell. I dread to think if they were around today how many health laws they would violate. Great chips though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

When fast food burgers were cheaper than a bag of carrots we saw the big social change. It was slow but solid. Poor people became overweight and wealthy people started slimming up. A direct reverse of what happened in the 70's. The rapid affordability of personal vehicles for all with the "drive thru" culture augmented that quick decline of health and nutrition that partly sees our hospitals full of overweigh relatively young people with chronic problems due to bad nutritional education.

I had a stint in hospital recently due to a sports injury and was shocked at my bedfellows that weren't being released because of obesity. Most had problems supporting their weight on crutches, but two that had a similar injury to me because of their weight were unable to clean themselves after defecating because of their sheer size and inability to reach.

** I partake in fast food every now and then like you all, but these people live on it along with the ready made stuff in supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone else get the distinct impression that KFC is nowhere nearly as well managed and run as McDonalds or Burger King?

Once a few years back I drove up to the KFC drive-thru in Blanchardstown during the early evening and they were out of....chicken. 🙄😬😏

Other times I was at a KFC outlet and they were filthy dirty with tables not cleared, rubbish and discarded food on the floor and decidedly non-motivated staff.

I was pretty unhappy with the changes McDs brought in a couple of years ago with their order and collect system but I’ve got used to it now. One bugbear of mine is getting cold fries. I would indulge in a MaccyDs about twice a month.

I wonder where the new Wendy’s will open? Presumably somewhere in Dublin.

Is the Five Guys (extremely overrated and very overpriced) in Blackrock still open? Last time I passed by it looked closed and empty.

One place I would love to see open here would be an IHOP. 😁💕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I have fast food maybe 3-4 times a year but I do like McDonalds Double cheese burgers. As mentioned earlier chip vans after a night at a festival or when younger after the "Merries" was the business. Crispy and dowsed in salt. Job. Vinegar on chips is an outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Flash Harrys Blackrock FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

I think Burgerland Limerick was where the Lifestyle sports on William Street is now, I seem to remember the arch shaped windows on the first floor. There was one in Waterford as well, can't remember exactly where but in and around where Dealz is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had TGI Fridays from the Fleet Street branch a few days ago and by god its so Overrated and pricy for what you get

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Overrated I think you mean. Underrrated means better than people think.

A boggo burger and pint there can be over 30 quid. Lives off American tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only one I still go for is Eddie Rockets.. about 3 or 4 times a year….

nobody or no chain is making nice pizza aside from Mizzonis and the nearest one isn’t all that near. Food arrives hot but takes ages due to the distance..

Eddies is expensive but at least you are getting a good sized burger and reasonable chips…. Im just completely gone off McDonalds chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

More people live alone , going to mcDs or any fast food outlet is a nice break from cooking if you go to burger King mcDs on a bank holiday, st Patrick's day its full of customers.

Supermacs is actually quality fast food. 3 or 4 euro more than McDonalds, KFC, Burgerking etc, but operating at a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Forgot about supermacs , unfortunately none nearby, fûckin 2am and you shower have me craving a Super Eddie MacRockets…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Wimpy were cafs not fast food from what I remember. We had chippers and cafes long before '72.

And somewhat relevant in this thread - what's with the current blanket marketing of justeat, deliveroo, ubereats etc I 've noticed on seemingly everything I'm watching on the box these days. We all know fast food is complete junk yet it's now getting normalised by these food service companies as staple fare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Had he relations cork as there are graces involved in fast food to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Daunt Square Cork, I was young but remember that

I loved Hot Stuff, fab chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Burgerland O'Connell St was a regular post-pub haunt, before dashing for the last 77 home with all the other drunks and pissheads. It opened later that McDs, so drunks weren't too fussy about the fine detail.

There's still a Grace's chicken outlet in Cork, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Of all the chains, Supermacs is my personal favourite. Mighty Mac and a garlic chip hits the spot. Grand treat once a month but wouldn't make a habit of it.

The future of fast food is definitely safe. Why peel spuds and grill chicken when you can get a "dinner" for €3 to keep the childers quiet? Immediate gratification, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Even Killarney had a Burger Land at one stage 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Macdonalds has gone to shite.

Service, quality, taste.

Waiting around 20 mins for your food.

Nothing fast about it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Italian fish and chips is a proper dinner everything else we can do with out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There was a burger place on O'Connell St (Dublin) called Mr Burger in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

do you remember Lyons Den on cathal brugha street in the 80's. Iused to get kearns bus from there. A pure dump across from the joke shop and had a class computer shop beside it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes I remember it - unfortunately - from my student days.

It was one the first fast food outlets to open late at weekends (well before McDs or BK) for the post-night out drink soakage before getting the Nitelink home. Its burgers were totally rank. 🤢🤮

All the food is cold, the cheese isn’t melted in the burger, and it takes an absolute age to arrive. It was never great, but now it’s truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

McDonalds prices going up due to inflation now, as well.

Yet another tax on rural Ireland, perhaps?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I know this is sooooo vague but in the late 80s there was a burger place on the side of O'Connell Street opposite the GPO. I think the family might have had a few locations in the city as I deffo remember being in a place of the same name but in a different location. It was a sit down restaurant is all I can recall about it. I recall the burgers as being absolutely delicious. Does anyone know a few names they might be able to throw out as I'm sure I'd remember it if I heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If I remember correctly it was 99p for a burger in there.

How can they be "continuously dishing out baskets of fresh chips" if there are "piles of them already cooked"?

These two statements are completely at odds with one another. They can't be both fresh and pre-cooked at the same time.

It wasn't that. I think it may have been a family name.

• Advertisement

There was a place with a person's first name......Christopher's....or Jonathan's or Richard's or something like that as well, prob a bit of a longhsot but best I can do.

Oh one thing I remember about it is you actually could go downstairs to eat. I remember the stairs down being really narrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

There was definitely a chain called Jonathan's in Dublin in the 80s one in the ilac centre, one in O'Connell Street and one on Grafton Street from memory, may have been others.

We didn't go into McD's often but have stopped going at all now. Seating reduced and not very family friendly and it's usually rammed with delivery drivers. Who gets it from just eat? I mean it's not exactly piping hot when it comes out. and they've forgot part of the other the last 3 times and I've had to go back in, they rolled their eyes when I opened the bag at the counter last time to check, of course a wrap and a box of nuggets lite.

I do love a BK if I'm in Dublin.

Growing up we didn't have Mc Donalds but did have Four Lanterns, I believe they are still going in some places? I have fond memories of their milkshakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BK is far superior to McDonald's.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't eat it then. Jeez. This is a thread about fast food, if you want something that isn't quick and cheap then you're in the wrong place.

Scrap the cap!

Had a chip van burger before the match in Croker on Sunday - what was known as an onion burger one time. Cheap burger, loads of raw onions, and drowned in ketchup. Tasty enough, and was fresh off the grill so good and hot.

Also visited an Abrakebabra on the way down to Cork recently. Hadn't visited one in almost 20 years because of a very nasty dose of the squirts after eating in the one in Eyre Square back in my college days. Was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the burger and chips. They've gone for the Supermacs model of not trying to charge under a tenner for a meal anymore, and you could taste the difference. Not up to the quality of Bunsen etc, but it was very decent. Cooked to order, so none of those lukewarm burgers you get from BK and McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Does Abrekababra get a mention? Surely, the first non burger fast food outlet in Ireland set up by the Beere family. Still going with their infamous Donor Kebab a weighty lamb minced and spiced lamb neck kebab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Are one-off Maccas outlets a thing now?

Maybe they should be located in towns and villages...

Advertisement