Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

With the way shipping has gone, I reckon at least $800 individually per cabinet and then a few hundred tax. But if someone container shipped these (and going by the latest container index figures prices are going down a lot they could probably be shipped for maybe 2/300 in bulk in a container now maybe with their small footprint. The only issue is I'm not sure any company would be confident in selling a full container loads of these but I hope so.

Edit: on the site it says $600-1200 as a rough estimate for shipping, so it would be something similar here

Folks, an idea I long thought about was doing some sort of an arcade show/ event for a weekend here. I know it was mentioned on here before by a few different people in a few different shapes and forms over the years. I think a sort of format that would make sense to me is:

Hosting it at Level Up, using the new function room for lots of additional games. Bringing in rare games and big rare DLX games like Afterburner DLX, Outrun DLX, Tron, Tempest, Donkey Kong, 3 or 4 newer Jap games to have as many as possible for the event. Rare pinballs? Maybe having aiming to bring in 30+ games just for this on top of the other 50 or so already there. What would you like to see game wise?

Having all games on free play in the whole venue. Set entry fee in.

Having tournaments/ competitions throughout the weekend. I.e. Street Fighter, Tekken 7, etc. Pinball competition? (League would be finished for the year by the time it would probably happen). Prizes for the winners.

High score challenges on certain games, i.e. prizes for the winners.

Have a retro console area setup for the likes of SNES, NES, 2600, Etc.

Maybe bringing in some special guests for it that could perform something interesting? I.e. speedrunners, etc.

Would people be willing to travel to this/interested in attending this sort of thing? I would reckon it would cost a lot of money to run this, so to break even probably well over 100 tickets would have to be sold (if they were lets say somewhere around 20 quid each). Although a lower budget version might be possible to achieve if it was scaled back. It wouldn't be a big money spinner but it wouldn't really be about that, any additional money would probably be used to rent some more interesting cabinets for the event.

It's something I always thought would be neat, I know a few people previously talked about doing something similar but they've never happened. I suppose this is just gauging interest for something like this rather than "this is definitely going to happen" sort of thing. It might be a non-runner as it wouldn't be just up to me too and would need a lot of thought. But would you be interested? Any ideas? Good Idea/ bad idea?

Post edited by dav09 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would certainly be interested in attending such an event, but I don't envy you and the effort it will take to run it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

+1 for another attendee here alright, would really love if something like this was on in Ireland and I'd be dragging quite a few people with me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sure ill go and bring a mate.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks, I know a lot of time/effort/money/planning would need to go into this so, I'm just scoping it out for the minute and gauging interest. I've seen similar events run in other countries (much larger countries however) but always thought it might be something that would be nice if one happened here, and I think I could organize some really cool games to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'd say start a brand new thread for it, detail the opening post like you did above & it might expose it a bit better than this (fairly vaguely named) thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Abominations of arcade cabs in my work office as part of 'Return to Office' events for those who weren't on site over the pox.

Took one look, saw LCDs, Pandora Boxes...well, I couldn't see anyone renting out cabs having CRTs. Too expensive to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Inviere

Barring the illuminated buttons, they look, dare I say it, not bad? Nicer that Arcade1ups anyway. Neat little row of machines. Ripe for crt conversions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I do want a driving multicab now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah they look good, least they made the effort for going back to work.

So this fix didn't last long and I had 'the fear' of the DinoKing screen getting some image burn-in if the kids left the cab on without selecting a game as it would stay on the old 161-in-1 menu. Well no more! A kind soul showed how to easily use an Adafruit Trinket board to do the same job of holding the start button during power on. Some work later, direct into the PICKnMIX feature of the UniBios v4 with a 161-in-1 cart :)

Something for the home arcade, don't think much of the game though!

http://www.adverts.ie/27391519

€900 for this cocktail, LCD and multi PCB included?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Dreamer territory there and the hand painted space theme.

id love an original one if anyones hoarding one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Was in Token last night and the machines are in even worse condition than I remember.

Or maybe I notice more since getting my own cabinet.

For started, All the controls are unresponsive but also, loads of machines have had their CRTs replaced with LCDs and those with CRTs aren’t ever calibrated properly.

Point Blank - Brightness too high.

Mario Kart - One cab has screen off center.

Street Fighter - Colours all wrong

Loads of others are off center, or need some adjustment.

They also no longer sell lots of interesting beers, just whatever is owned by Heineken.

I guess it’s more about restaurant now, but we ended up giving away the last of our tokens and I won’t be back.

Last time I was in, there wasn’t a decent cabinet to be played either, some were so far out of focus that they were unbearable to look at, some had the dip switches set to extra hard, some controls were missing a direction. I personally wouldn’t bother playing anything with an LCD conversion so didn’t try any of them. All the pinballs had issues, only 2 were actually properly playable. My own cabinets are using their tokens now as I wouldn’t be bothered going back to play again either.

IMO converting machines to LCDs is just lazy, chassis are still readily available and there are a couple of postal service repair places such as grant. It’s like whoever fixes their machines doesn’t actually play games or even understand them.

Post edited by CathalDublin on

Master of the Universe

The moment you remove a CRT from a machine it ceases to be an arcade machine IMO. I wouldn't bother playing anything like that either.

Place is very badly managed, if they put half the time they spend on making/photographing meat free cheese burgers for social media posts into basic repairs on their machines it might actually be a good place, such a shame and they’d so many good titles which are all now in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

A good tech with a practical approach to pins and cabs could do wonders for the place. Last time I was there the pins were in a sorry state or affairs

To be honest I can understand why places put LCDs into machines in a commercial environment. It's not ideal but saves time, money and esb so I can understand it.

But LCDS with original boards causes a good bit of lag right? If they are going to go that route it's probably worthwhile to take out all the original boards and replace the innards with mame and run the CRT emulators for the LCDs. Go all in.

• Advertisement

More arcade adventures this weekend with a trip to Blackpool. I have to say I was skeptical what way the arcades would be over there now but they certainly did not disappoint, I probably only got to visit 5/6 arcades but they certainly had some of the best new titles anyway. I think most games that have come out in recent years are pretty much junk (redemption, etc.) but definitely some titles like Stepmania X, VR Agent, Asphalt 9 and a few others are really decent, some pins and older games around there too. The highlight of the trip was the fact that I got to go on what I believe is the last Sega Cycraft in public operation in the world. It had been broke for 2 years plus but was fixed seemingly in the past few days/weeks, to my shock as I was expecting it to be off or scrapped. I never thought I'd get to experience it but it was a mega experience, plus it was Initial D which is one of my favorite franchises.

The arcades over there had some interesting games, some of which I never heard of but looked really cool.

Lastly, I went to Arcade Club Blackpool which overall is probably their best venue IMO. Probably has the least selection of games of the venues but a better bar, restaurant and still has more than enough to keep you entertained, probably 200+ cabinets I'd say. Some really cool rare ones there that I had never seen before too.

Blackpool is definitely worth a visit, it was a flying visit for me for a day but would love to go back and spend a lot of time there, it probably has one of the best arcade scenes in europe still imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

4 player HOT ROD !!! ...i need it .although sys24 is a bugger and its massive ,food to see one surviving !

Master of the Universe

Haven't really put any work into my Pony since my last move and it's been sitting there looking dirty and unloved.

Marque bulb wasn't working, light box had come loose after the move and was rattling as you'd walk by it, had player 1 set to a four way gate for classics but no classic board in it, moving tape still on it, just generally grotty!

Decided the lightbox and marquee would need to be fixed first. Removed the lightbox and you can see the end of it is bent out of shape, the ends that hold the bulb in place were bent out of shape too and the riser was rattling about.

I was originally thinking the bolt to tighten on the bottom of the riser would be accessed via the back hatch.

Much head scratching until I realised you'd have to get in under the bezel to access it instead.

First time I've ever actually had the glass bezel and plastic surround off this cabinet, gave them a good scrubbing. The plastic on this isn't nearly as brittle as that on the Aero I used to have.

Interesting to see the rotate handles on this one. Actually looks like a fairly simple process to do.

Bottom hatch for lifting the control panel/accessing the speaker and remote boards

Clean and reassembled with the marquee now back up and running again and all those little niggles sorted.

Master of the Universe

Thanks!

Just talking to that guy over on AO at the moment who makes repro ashtray holders for these.

Theyre mad money, $165 & shipping & whatever tax goes onto that but it looks like they're really well made and it's the final piece...!

Actually I lie, I still need the rubber footing too!

I reckon you could make that from a coat hanger and a roll of tinfoil.

Only noticed now the blank buttons on the player 2 controls has a what looks like a headphone jack and another connector. What be those for o1s1n?

Master of the Universe

Hahaha! I'm going to have to give that a go for a laugh now at some point. 😁

Years ago I bought a headphone jack adapter from a guy who was making them on Arcade Otaku. Has a cable that runs off the jamma edge, up into a blank button hole and you can connect up a 3.5mm pair of headphones.

That's the later one he made that auto detects the headphones (my other cab has his earlier version and you've to hit a manual switch to go between both)

The other connector is more interesting. The Last Bandit made that one up, it's so you can connect a Sega Saturn stick for player three.

On the other side there's a harness that connects up to the player 3 pins on arcade PCBs. Used to have it running with my FixEight and Mercs boards if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I thought it looked a bit familiar, has it ever been used ?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Not for a very long time but it was used alright back when I had that three arcade setup in Bray. It was left connected up to my FixEight board.

Have me interested in trying it out again now, I'd completely forgotten it was there. Wonder is there some way of getting it hooked up to a DE10?

Advertisement