Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Euro 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very very gutsy win for England.

Spain very unlucky I thought, England seriously fought for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Could have been 2-0 down and out, but 2 good goals to win it. Should qualify for the final now.

Disappointed Weigman didn't shake hands with Spanish coach - just ran out onto pitch. She has been here before so should know better.

Spain missed their 2 stars tonight, no real finishers to all their moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Watched most of this and quite enjoyed it. I've always felt one of the weaker aspects of the women's game is the goalkeeping and while I agree the England winner was well struck, thought the keeper could have done better. It seemed to be more or less right at her, now she may have seen it late in which case I'm doing her a disservice but if that happened in the Premier League we'd be all over the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I don't disagree that goalkeeping in the women's game often looks less secure than the men's (physical presence/height play massive part in that, imo) but I don't think personally I'd blame Spain's keeper for that second goal, it was moving away from her, and unless she grew another 2 inches mid-dive she was never getting it.

Bright looked solid in defence, and Bronze looked good, Daly had a bit of a 'mare and Kirby was marked out of the game, also I think there's a case for Russo to start next game instead of White, though Wiegman likes consistent selection, so I wonder will she change anything.

Still delighted they got through to the Semis but after last night, I think the favourites for the final will come from the other side of the draw.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

can we look forward to english fans with lit flairs from their arses if they get to this final as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I thought her positioning was all wrong. Whatever about the dive.

Spain really lacked a goalscorer. England slightly shaded it. A good result for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mines up there now, bit uncomfortable now, Just waiting to light it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The non negative commentary is something I would hope rte would bring to the men's game.

The focus on the good, not the bad.

Tonights match really caught me hook, line and sinker. I tried to watch women's football years ago but thought standard was poor.

I think it's there now. It really has improved a lot. Apart from goal-keeping it is at the same level as the men's game entertainment wise IMHO.

Austria were unlucky with three shots hitting the post/crossbar. And then some poor tactics regarding kick-outs, the Germans score the second.

I also notice that officiating favouring the bigger nation is prevalent. At least its consistent across genders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Don't think anyone on this thread needs to be convinced. Those that aren't watching are missing out though.

• Advertisement

Tonight will be a cracker. France will create about a million chances. The Dutch will be more clinical though, especially with Miedema back. I'm hoping for 2-2, extra time and maybe even penalties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The goalkeeping hasn't even been poor. It has been excellent!

Diani is my favourite player of this tournament. Skills for days and an absolute beast strength-wise.

France look good for this

France should be 4 up at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’d say that they are afraid to be critical, especially the men commentating. I’ll be honest and say I haven’t been a fan of the womens game. I’ve watched bits if the Ireland matches that have been on RTE recently and thought the standard was very poor. However, I’ll admit that what I’ve seen of the tournament has surprised me. The top teams in this are at a much better level in my view. I’ve been especially impressed by France and Spain (even though they lost to England I thought they were comfortably the better team for most of the match.) Haven’t really seen Germany.

Some bad misses by France tonight, they should have won comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Germany England final for me

There is a bit of that but it's refreshing to focus on good attacking play rather than bemoaning bad defence etc.

Football would be better if we celebrated the positive more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looking forward to this semi-final. I reckon England make the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Sweden have started very well.

• Advertisement

Good game. Pretty even so far

1-0 England. Nice finish by Mead. Against the run of play it must be said but they have a knack of hanging in there and getting a goal.

That was a great goal!

Bronze makes it 2-0. Sweden in big trouble now.

I hope that is not offside. This tournament is bouncing because of England

I wanna see England vs France in the final

That one is going to be in the top 50 misses compilations 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Peach of a goal to seal it 😅

Russo really staking a claim to start the final ahead of White..

That's the final secured for England. Nice backheel from Russo.

Brilliantly creative finish

Kirby makes it four. Goes to show how good England are. I remember how hard we had to work for a draw with the Swedes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Awful goalkeeping for Kirbys goal. 2 hands to the ball and still goes through

• Advertisement

So it's England versus France or Germany in the final. Should be exciting either way.

I'm expecting a cracker tonight, and hoping Germany win, even though either team could make England work.

I'm just not convinced with France as a team. Individually they have some superstars e.g. Cascarino (best 2 footed player I know) , Diani and Karchaoui - along with the supersub Bacha, who should start if France want to go all out attack. They can create but not finish and Sarr doesn't look like she's related to a footballer - she's had a mare off the bench each time she's played.

Its a team game though, and that's where I see Germany winning. Their midfield is super strong and Popp is always good for a goal. They also would be better placed to defeat England I think, and would not be playing at 0-0 after 30 minutes if they got the amount of chances that Sweden did last night.

Germany 2-0 or 2-1 for me.

Tough one to call. I think this could go to extra time and pens.

Wow, what a finish

France equalise with the last kick of the half. Great hit. Keeper unfortunate.

France have hit back with a stroke of luck. 1-1 at half time

I was gonna head to bed (11.50pm here) but may stay up now. The end of that half was exciting

I thought the whole half was exciting.

Germany running the midfield, but having to rely on last ditch tackling.

Deserved lead in the end but unlucky to concede after.

There'll be more goals for sure in this one.

Funniest thing so far is seeing Renard swatting away strikers like flies!

Popp gets a second. Great header.

England in meltdown as Popp joins Mead on 6.

They'll be grabbing the assist stats now.

All over. England vs Germany in the final will be exciting.

• Advertisement

Off to bed now. You'll be relieved to know that Sunday's kick-off is 3 hours earlier !!

Teams for the final:

England: Earps; Bronze, Bright, Williamson, Daly; Stanway, Walsh; Mead, Kirby, Hemp; White.

Germany: Frohms; Gwinn, Hendrich, Hegering, Rauch; Magull, Oberdorf, Dabritz; Huth, Popp, Brand.

This should be a cracker in front of a sell-out crowd at Wembley. I'll say England to win 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Popp injured in the warmup.

That's a huge blow for the Germans. Lost their top scorer.

No mention of penalty on BBC, they are upset with German physicality. Great spot by RTE though.

Popp out means German bench looks weak. Interesting that Germany making a sub already. Wiegman has two on yellows and one could have gone on 45 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Poor enough game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's a lovely finish

Toone gives England the lead with a lovely chip. Great ball from Walsh as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s genuinely a world class goal, irrelevant of the gender. Very likeable England team, hopefully they can see it out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Great finish, but the German defence was shocking.

Advertisement