Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Previously they used to have camera's at both functions and they did interview's from both banquets. However the feeling coming from the losing banquet was they would prefer if the cameras were not there. The quid quo pro was that the MOTM would have to be selected from the winning team. Its only one year in ten the MOTM would be from the losing team. After losing you do not want to be doing interviews and behaving yourself in front of cameras. Even have to stand and watch the other team receive the cup is tough.

It's not journalists. It's analysts like Kevin McStay, Whelan, O'Rourke etc. These boys have seen them all. Clifford is double and triple tagged. He still manages to be the highest scorer for Kerry in virtually every match. I have seen a good few good players and he the best at even this age I have ever seen. Very few really big players have really high skill level. The only player that I ever say that was even slightly comparable to him was Matt O'Connor of Offaly. Matt was a super free taker as well. But Clifford is a difference class.

I cannot understand lads hang ups about it. I was all the Kerry matches this year except for the Armagh match. The supporters of other teams will always acknowledge that the quality of his scores are first class.

Stephen O'Neill, Gooch, Cavanan were seldom double tagged. Clifford is virtually always and still manages 6+ points from play most days. In the Dublin game every time he got the ball there was three players on him. The same the last day, the only time they got reall caught was for the two marks. He has been carrying a knock all this year and has only trained half the time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's what every forward has to deal with these days, especially the good ones. Walsh wasn't left man vman in the final and still got 9 points so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Good players get extra attention, always have done.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Walsh dose not produce these displays in every match. Ya last Sunday he was exceptional but he was fairly average in a couple matches this year. Neither will he have special and specific tactics put in place to limit his impact.

Slava Ukrainii

He's been fairly handy this year and that's putting it midly. I think you'll find that's exactly what teams do when facing a player like Clifford or Walsh. They put a plan in place to try stifle them. Sometimes it works, often times it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not often kerry cynical fouling is called out. At it for years but glossed over by likes of Spillane.

https://www.the42.ie/kerry-defending-5826336-Jul2022/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If Clifford was double marked he wouldn't be in the game and teams play a sweeper so that leaves two kerry players free. If this was the case kerry would make hay with the free space.

There was no attacking mark a decade ago.

Clifford is flashy but he's not the best ever. A forward claiming high balls in the air looks better than a player always being in the right place at the right time. If the mark wasn't in the game Clifford wouldn't have got those two points and no one would be talking about his fielding.

Talking about the best, Gooch is still well clear for me. Brains, guile, didn't know which foot he was, movement. Not the biggest yet well able look after himself. Could playmake as well as score.

The way the mark is, Donaghy would get 3 or 4 points a game

Every teams fouls, the article as good as says that. It also says that better teams use it. As well it says that previously Kerry were not really at it a much until this year where it choose to tactically foul on turnovers.

Finally Kerry transition so fast this that teams find harder to stop them on the break. Kerry plays the advantage more than .oat teams as it usually has forwards up front it want to get the ball to

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 38,601 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So when are we getting rid of the free kick for catching a ball. It's absolutely ridiculous.

As regards the MoM, no doubt that Walsh was the best player on the day but it's always given to a player off the winning team and I've no problem with that.

Clifford is a great footballer but he's been rated as the GOAT already which is insane. For me Maurice Fitzgerald is the best Kerry forward I can remember and Cooper is a close second then Mikey Sheehy. Clifford has a long way to go to pass those legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saw that earlier. Good read and it's about time kerry became smarter with their fouling. For too long it was too close to goal which conceded handy frees or else not hard enough for the ref to blow which wouldn't stop the other team.

Dublin set the standard with cynical fouling in the least dangerous areas of the pitch and just stop all momentum. Its fantastic to see kerry now seem able to execute it as well as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anybody who thinks Clifford is the best they have ever seen is talking through their arse, and thats the polite version.

Claiming that Canavan didn't get special attention is just the cherry on top.

• Advertisement

The mark pre wants teams from defending too deep. Take it away and team set there defencive zones 10 Meyers close to goals. All three Kerry marks were superb last Sunday. All were above the head. Two were off the ground high fielding which was exactly the reason the mark was bought in. Previously the man winning the ball in such a situation was swamped when he landed on the ground. The third mark was a ball collected from overhead under pressure holding off a defender. If it's so easy why are other teams not found it. The rules are the same for both teams

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

He would want to be careful with that Snapchat doing the rounds off him he won't have a great reputation if that makes the media.

Yeah, if I want to watch a game with the mark in it I'll stick some AFL on. Football is supposed to be a fluid game. If a forward claims a high ball they should bloody we'll be able to do something with it. Lest we forget tackling is still part of the game. What really happened is that lads were claiming high ball and immediately being fouled by the opposition. Unfortunately we seem to have referees that are one step away from the school of the blind and never gave them. So, in typical GAA fashion, rather than police the existing rules they created another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Back in 1993 when Kelly won man of the match for Galway, although they lost to Kilkenny the SG used go to the losing and winning hotels.

They haven't had interviews in the losers' hotel for a while. It facilitated them with giving a MOM to either team.

Another losing man of the match was John Taylor Laois, getting it after they lost to Kilkenny in the first round of the 1984 championship. He was picked by Donal O'Grady of Cork. A class hurler who lost out controversially on an All Star at wing back to Dermot McCurtain of Cork that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'd get rid of the attacking mark.

I'd also add a shot clock to the taking of a free kick. Goalkeepers walking up, lining it up just taking to much time. 90 seconds easily gone before the kick is taken. Just too much. Really poor reflection too that an attacker can't kick a ball over the bar from a 45

And for all the talk of the mark incentivising kicking the ball in, something that would force attackers to be able shoot well is the person fouled has to take the free kick.

Well it if you want to watch packed defences just outside the 21 then that is grand. I take see the two marks by Clifford last Sunday. Just like the two block downs by Stephen O'Brien were brilliant as well

Slava Ukrainii

Do away with giving the award back at the hotel. Have it announced at the end of the match like any other game. Removes the politics from it and just give it to the best player on the day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

One with Gooch always sticks out to me not the obvious of the 2013 SF v Dublin. But it was another match. I can't even remember the opponent against Kerry. But I happened to be near the front in CP. Two big lumps of fellas were in front of him - Gooch on the ball. Right I said, let's see what he does here.

The Gooch feigned to go left, then right. Within a few seconds he had ran between to the two players with the ball.They were looking at each other as if to say, what happened?

I just started laughing. The only other player that has made me laugh like that (with a mixture of pure cheek and skill) was Diarmuid Connolly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If he's as good as everyone says he is then Clifford should be able to field a high ball, turn, and stick it over the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Clifford is very very good but he's not the best ever nor do I think he'll go on to be. He was a big strong minor who defences struggled against and he does kick some very good scores but skill wise he isn't the same level as Maurice Fitz and he's not as skillful as Walsh either. He's only just started getting realatively consistent on his weaker foot.

Walsh is faster, can switch from left to right without blemish and still maintain the same speed regardless of foot. The quality of scores he can kick off either foot Clifford can't do yet. Clifford has other attributes like his fielding but there has been plenty of players that can field and run up big scores. I'm not seeing anything from Clifford I haven't seen before. Walsh on the other hand put together the best 70mins I've ever seen on Sunday. It wasn't just volume, it was the quality. Even the frees were top drawer and off either foot. Yes he has been inconsistent in the past so he won't get the recognition but on skill alone he's as good as I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think k your missing the point - if the mark wasn't there then those balls wouldn't have gone in in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah Clifford is not a jinky type of player. Like the likes of Canavan, Walsh, Connolly, Gooch, Donnellan. A fella who can go past a player with ease - close ball control. Those are the players the fans love and the neutrals want to see.

Clifford's game is more power based, fielding, and long range shots. I am not saying he is not a good player. But aesthetically he looks awkward. Now I know awkward looking players can be very effective like Michael Darragh McCauley. Or Johnny Doyle.

But I feel there is no stylishness to Clifford. His size pace and power, are his most utilised attributes. I think he won't go down as one of the greats mainly because of his injury record. I can't see him staying fit for a sustained period to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats of football.

Plus Clifford started so young and teams were so dependant on him. All those extra years on the legs will tell. It is not like he has that 'minding himself' slow side to side style Ciaran Kilkenny developed. Which has contributed to Kilkenny's longevity.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I hear this mentioned but balls were being played in before the mark was ever in the GAA lexicon. It takes good fielding and skill to score from one, well that and refs actually enforcing the rules of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Please dont tell me you are comparing Clifford with MDMA.

"No stylishness to Clifford" - Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

People tend to have short memories when it comes to the attacking mark. Before its introduction, the best forwards were triple marked out of the game, with little incentive for an attacking team to launch a high ball in, and little incentive for ultra defensive teams to come out past their own 45 when not in possession. Teams should be rewarded for attacking play, particularly against a packed defence, and I thought Kerry used the mark to great effect on Sunday. We're talking about 3 scores out of 36, its not as if we're seeing a stop start game for 70 minutes as a result of the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Clifford reminds me a bit of Jonah Lomu. Power, pace, no obvious weakness. You looked on in awe as he overpowered opponents. When Clifford got 4-4 v Derry minors and made them look like 12 year olds I had the same feeling.

But the silky, jinky, stepping players in rugby, as in gaelic football, did more for me. Christian Cullen, Serge Blanco, Campese just oozed class when they ran with ball in hand. Same thing with Matt Connor, Maurice Fitz, Connolly, Gooch, Canavan, Ja Fallon, Donnellan, Geraghty etc.

To compare Clifford to Lomu is a very good thing! But it's the power and pace thing other posters mentioned that are his big attributes.

A lot of posters are saying Clifford will get injured. I don't think you can predict that. Many players who have played a lot of underage have lengthy senior careers. Joe Canning played minor county hurling since 15 (when the age was 18) and retired at 32. Brian Corcoran played minor hurling for Cork at 15 and football at 16. He was a dual player for years. Took a 2 year break but played hurling until 33. Clifford hasn't had anything too serious bar ankle ligaments. Since he arrived in senior he has been very consistent. This consistency is something that is separating him from the likes of Shane Walsh at the moment. Maybe having that extra power gives you a better chance of making your mark, literally and metaphorically, every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Consistency for years is what leads to someone being considered an all time great. And that consistency needs to occur in all the biggest games as well as the early rounds. Canavan was so consistent and very very skilful plus he did it on the biggest days. The all Ireland medal helps as it bolsters the argument that they dragged their county to the win. In hurling Shefflin was really consistent. Even before the ten all Irelands he was being considered an all time great because of his consistency over all games including finals. The ten medals then led to him being considered the best ever. But Shefflin wasn't as eye catching as other players in the sense that he could score from anywhere for sure, but Canning would be more skilful in my eyes. But it's consistency that is the main currency for greatness.

Brolly is not doing Clifford any favours declaring him the best ever, it's nauseating because brolly will never stop saying it until he's proven right. But Clifford needs to keep this up for a long long time and if he misses big matches like finals through injury, in time we'll see him as a great, but possibly not the best ever.

Though I have to say he's unmarkable nearly every day he goes out which is unreal.

Matt O Connor was finished playing at 24 after a car accident. He had not reached his peak even. However he is rated as the greatest forward until Clifford came along.

This was not a sympathy vote. He was similar to Clifford. Big string powerful player that was very skillful. He has only one Celtic cross. He is especially remembered for his display in the 1980 AI semifinal which is rated as the greatest personal display in a football game

https://youtu.be/snlHd8e7uKs

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

I'd agree. Clifford isn't doing anything we didn't see from a young Michael Murphy. And I do think that injury will be a big factor in his career. Those big levers are more prone to damage than a more compact player.

There seems to be a bit of a crossover on the thread about greatness vs the most skilfull and to my mind they're two different things. Very few people on a world stage never mind a group as small as the GAA can consistently play at a genius level but there are others who are excellent players who can repeat that over and over. Shefflin was a good example. Top class player but his highlight reel would be sparse enough next to someone like Canning.

You can be the most skilfull player without being a legend just by not being consistent over a long period but it's the moments of magic those players produce that live in the memory. Ciaran Mcdonald is the perfect example. Didn't always blow hot but when he did its what everyone came to see and why he'll always get a mention as one of the best.

Advertisement