Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Dumb it down for the likes of me please dacor.

Its pretty clear already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

What is clear from this thread is its pointless debating with people who think they are some kind of crusader saving the world by agreeing with any and every kind of overkill "green" tax / grant (basically the same as a tax in this country - just gets added on to the price of the product) compared to other countries.

The faster the tax increases the better also. Its like some kind of weird virtue signalling stockholm syndrome. Its a strange country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The only sense I can make of it is that ER became minister in 2020 correct?

The invasion of Ukraine by Russia happened in 2022.

ER would have know Ireland has no gas storage in 2020 if not before.

Your trying to tell me that the minister is waiting on a report that will be released in Q3 2022 to tell him that we could do with some gas storage……….

Am I correct in these assumptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Jesus, Wind turbines get turned off in "very High winds" or guess what they would destroy themselves. They actually have a small enough working window. this is basic stuff.

Its ok, we're only talking hypotheticals, calm down

In my hypothetical you can assume I meant winds within the tolerances 😊

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

9 Thanks ticks, role on Sinn Fein the party who point fingers and charge $1000 a plate to hear Mary Lou speak.

Only you can speak to your assumptions. I was pretty clear in my post.

I will say that the indications are the energy security review will be used as a basis for decisions relating to that topic in the same way the rail review will do the same for that topic.

Nah didn’t think you would answer.

Just like green policy, when faced with facts its all about deflection.

If worst case scenario does present itself it’s clear where the blame lies.

• Advertisement

Its a fact there is no CNG storage in Ireland.

Its a fact ER is energy minister since 2020.

Its a fact approx 60% of our electricity is generated via gas.

Its a fact the EU is telling us to cut gas usage by 15%.

Its a fact we depend on gas to come from a non EU nation.

Its a fact the wind stop blowing for a prolonged period in 2021 and 2022, meaning we had to burn gas to keep the lights on.

What have I said that isn’t fact dacor? 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This is what I think of our green policies, hear Eamon Ryan on the radio back in June talking about energy policy. The man has vision but no practical skills or forethought. He was asked about gas storage and 3 times he answered a totally different question, he simply refuses to look at it.

I don’t expect this winter to go well so I’m preparing for it.  Hopefully this doesn’t pans out and we’ll be OK

We’ve a B3 rated house so heat wise if we use our stove and let the heat escape the room the rest of the house won’t freeze. We’ll need other back up heating it gas gets shut down. Electric Rads I gave them away 4 years ago!  If we lose gas we’ll probably lose electricity too so we’ll need candles batteries and torches.

If we lose electricity so will shops so will our and their fridges so best to have dry or tinned easy to cook food. I’ve a camping stove and I’ve also camper van with a small gas fridge and cooker. I’ll make sure I’ve extra gas just in case. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

To be 100% non reliant on gas, in an extreme scenario where we're in the doldrums and everywhere else in Europe is also experiencing a shortage of energy at the same time, and its extremely overcast so no solar power, then maybe we might need some gas resources as backup.

But in this scenario, we've cut down on our GHG emissions from electricity production by 99% as those gas turbines only need to be mothballed and turned on for a few days every few years.

Or maybe we might decide that we entirely replace that scenario with BESS which can be used to store excess power that can be used to do useful things while also being a backup in case of emergency.

Not to mention the impact of local energy storage. The future of the grid is one where every single household and every single commercial premises has in site energy storage. With smart meters, this means every single building in the country becomes the baseload, and we get away from the ludicrous scenario where we need to have 6000mw capacity for an average energy demand of 3000mw.

If the majority of buildings have battery storage, they can charge from the grid off peak, and draw from their batteries at peak times therefore evening out the spikes, and allowing renewables to deliver energy as it is available rather than shutting them off when demand is low.

The complete elimination of all Gas turbines may be decades away, but with every new installation of renewable capacity and storage, we can reduce the need for those gas turbines and massively reduce our GHG emissions. If we still have a gas turbine in the mix in 2050 but it's only operating 5-10% of the time to top up batteries when we know there's going to be low renewable energy availability, then this is still a massive improvement over where we are today.

Its a fact that every new wind or solar installation reduces our need for gas.

Its a fact that Grid scale storage reduces that need even further

Its a fact that even if we need gas as an emergency back up for the rare 'doldrums' scenario, we are still much more energy secure with renewables than without them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

Your previous reply to me was "bolloxoligy" now it's some bizarre comment about Sinn Fein. We are getting hammered with taxes / schemes / hair brained rubbish ideas by the Greens that are putting everyone under unnecessary stress and financial pressure. All because of morons who will support any nonsense that looks or sounds like it should fit their eco warrior persona. But yeah it's something to do with Sinn Fein apparently.

Be careful about carbon monoxide if your plan is to use a stove to heat a room.

If you really are worried about this, then to properly prepare you could get a solar or wind installation with Battery storage, or even just a diesel generator (they're cheaper)

I genuinely don't think things will get as bad as you fear, but piece of mind is valuable and if it's keeping you up at night....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Do you think gas is only needed to generate electricity?

Have you any idea how realising industry is on gas for food production, manufacturing parts, steam for hospitals and pharmaceutical etc etc??

Electricity can’t replace all this at the moment.

Its not all about just being able to keep the lights on.

Post edited by Jinglejangle69 on

Every kilogram of gas that is replaced for electricity production, becomes available for those needs that you mentioned.

Gas is being replaced across the entire EU grid. There will be no shortage of gas if we move to renewables, and the quicker we migrate, the less acute the gas shortage will be.

It’s a fact that every new wind and solar installation reduces our need for gas -EXCEPT WHEN THE WIND STOPS BLOWING FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD IN WINTER A LA 2021!!!!😂

Its a fact grid scale storage reduces that need even further - EXCEPT WE DONT HAVE ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH STORAGE TO BRIDGE THE GAP IF THE WIND STOPS BLOWING FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD IN WINTER A LA 2021!!!!!

I have addressed the above two points which addresses your last point.

We are clearly not more energy secure with renewables as we don’t have a supply of CNG storage because of the energy ministers lack of action on getting security of energy for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Again, explain to me how we store renewables, considering we don’t have adequate grid battery storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

We have installed more wind than our peak demand on this island

It’s been doing f all 85% of the time in the last month

https://www.smartgriddashboard.com/#all/wind

With gas and coal acting as backup

This is why Greens will never solve climate change, the complete unwillingness to face up to simple facts and actual evidence of real world performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thats, we've two CO monitors in the room. The company that installed the stove wouldn't install it unless we had at least one. I don't think we will be with out power for days but it's possible. Today ware getting less than 10% of our electricity from wind, yesterday was the same. If that happens in the winter we could be in big trouble. Can't afford to add solar and battery. Also I'm not keen on having a large LI battery in the house. Long term plan is to add solar HW, we have the pipes installed. And possibly PV with a battery in a shed in the garden.

People think of "green" as good but it's not always the case. Wind turbines kill a lot of birds, they create flicker shadow and noise issues that are bad for peoples mental health. PV panels, good ones last 20 to 25 years bads one's 5 years , how does the average joe tell them apart? They contain dangerous chemicals and can't easily be recycled. Lithium batteries the same, lots of conflict chemicals and we're swapping one mineral from the ground for another.

It's like biodiesel driving up food prices.

The best way is reduce the need for energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Nothing extreme scenario about the rest of Europe being in the doldrums same as us due to a drop off in renewables. We have seen it twice within the last year alone for extended periods when wind contributed 6% and less of our requirements. Battery technology is nowhere close to storing the energy required for such drop offs and there would be nothing flowing through those interconnectors other than perhaps French nuclear if they had it to spare. Something highly unlikely to go anywhere towards filling requirements as the rest of Europe would be drawing on it as well.

Could you possibly for once just visit the real world rather than this one you jump to where we can store all the energy we need for prolonged periods and where we have 100% reliable dependable energy from renewables and explain what it is going to take to get to this magical world. The present great white hope is off-shore wind and greens talk about yearly average capacity from turbines as if it actually meant something. It`s as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike when it comes to determining how many of them would be required to get even close to 100% which is just basic engineering where design is governed by the worst case scenario. For Ireland that is wind contributing 6% of our needs from the present number of on-shore turbines, even less for periods during this month. For last Winter and this Spring due to the totally undependable nature of wind we would have required 17X the present number of on-shore wind turbines.

So the question is how much is this going to cost to bring us to this 100% dependable energy from wind, because we are spending money on this hand over fist while destroying our economy "to teach the world how it should be done" and from greens when asked this question it`s nothing but evasion and dreams of a brave new world as if it will appear by magic. In the real world money talks and bulls**t walks.

Which we won’t have for this winter.

However ER has been in place since 2020 and hasn’t noticed or has ignored the fact we have no gas storage?

No need to shout

Firstly, offshore wind, which is the foundation of our net zero strategy, will still produce some energy in everything but the most exceptionally calm conditions. We haven't installed this capacity yet.

Secondly, If we have to import 10 million m3 of gas for electricity generation in 2022, and then we install enough wind and solar and storage to offset 9.5 million m3 of gas then we have reduced our dependency on gas by 95%

If we need to have some gas turbines on standby to top up the batteries in those rare scenarios, then it's still cheaper than it would be if we didn't invest in those renewables, and we still have solar, storage and interconnectors to reduce our gas requirement even in the 'doldrums'

We are clearly more energy secure with renewables than we are without them. We may still need some gas backup but it's for a tiny percentage of what we currently rely on them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Can we take these green idiots as far away from resources and power before they completely fukk up!

No we don't. Our Peak demand is above 6000mw

our Installed wind capacity is about 4,332.5 mw, but the capacity factor of that wind is known to be about 33%

We are nowhere near the level of generation capacity we need, but we are still able to reduce our reliance on gas and oil imports by 32% in 2019

We need more wind and solar asap so we can further reduce our dependence on foreign imports and reduce our CO2 emissions from electricity production.

We also need a better grid which can reduce curtailment, where wind power is wasted because the grid cannot handle it (about 7% of our installed wind energy is currently wasted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Our peak demand ever was 6500mw, this time of year it’s about 5000-5500mw (see Eirgrid) it’s 5048 today see https://www.smartgriddashboard.com/#all/demand

There is about 6000mw of wind on the island of Ireland, we have a single all Ireland grid, there was 5500mw installed in 2021, above 6000 now https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Ireland

we have a single all island grid so count wind in Republic and north

the fact that you are not aware we have an all island grid, and that’s what Eirgrid measures says a lot

my point stands, Greens and green environmentalists are not capable of facing basic facts based on actual (lack) performance of installed wind, which leads to extended periods of use of gas and coal as there are no viable storage solutions (in a country that doesn’t even have gas storage)

Advertisement