Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

You left out a few details yourself. as per the independent https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-rte-journalist-who-sexually-assaulted-sleeping-woman-jailed-for-15-months-41868143.html "In the flat they were kissing and Ó Leidhin engaged in consensual sexual foreplay type activity. Ó Leidhin suggested they have penetrative sex. The woman said no but left open the possibility that they could do this the next morning, Mr Delaney told the court." This wasnt a case of a complete stranger breaking into a house getting naked and climbing on top of a woman and touching up her boobs. What woukld the sentence be for a complete stranger climbing on a woman and touching her boobs? They were after having consensual sexual activity they were presumably both naked or near naked and sleeping side by side, something must have been said that implied they would have more in the morning. He initiated that sexual activity the following morning and stopped immediately when she said no. He doesnt from the details given sound like your typical sexual predator - she insisted he be named and shamed for this - she has by her own admission been shunned by friends and family because she brought this case. This is not a straight forward case at all, if every case where a man or woman intiates sex by touching their partner to wake them in the morning then the courts and jails would be full of people. I have discussed this case with many male and female friends and have yet to find one person who doesnt think the sentence was extremely harsh. Now perhaps we are all not privy to some very important details but what has been reported inn the media would lead me to beleive that the sentence is extremely harsh.

I think you should reflect on your posting style, but I’m not getting into an argument on it - I don’t care that much 🙂have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not a custodial sentence. And had the impact statement not been so detailed, I doubt he would have gotten one.

The punishment was enough that it went to court and he was convicted and he was named.

Maybe community service?

The not guilty plea along with a limited demonstrated understanding post trial of what he did would likely have merited the custodial sentence.

Im aware they had consensual sexual activity in advance of sleeping but the important aspect is that she then said no to more and went to sleep. So no consent verbally while awake and the fact she was sleeping and sexual assault took place- the “possibly” of more sex the following morning is neither here nor there where the law is concerned and doesn’t detract or lessen the illegal act itself. He was still coming from a position of not only no consent given, consent was refused and then no consent could be given whilst asleep

I do agree though, that this is an “unusual” case in that the victim impact statement seems to be much more serious than the illegal acts outlined would be normaally expected or that you’d normally hear in such cases. But what is NORMAL?

- such events can have a huge range of reactions - out of 100 people, x% will respond positively, y% will get annoyed but nothing more, z% will laugh it off and give him a slap, but there will also be people out there, maybe a small % but it doesn’t matter, that will respond in the manner outlined in this case- and that’s worth remembering next time you’re out there in one night stand land.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

that will respond in the manner outlined in this case- and that’s worth remembering next time you’re out there in one night stand land

Not strictly one stand land though is it? The vast majority of rapes and sexual offences are not one night stands.

Nothing stopping a 'disgruntled' ex in a year or 2 following the same path.

Both are extremely rare, but it's not just the single cock smith out for the quest that needs to take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Completely agree. Stroking your partners body, kissing their neck, sliding your hands across their body. These are the ways in which couples generally indicate to their partner they are are turned on and want to have sex. Its universal. People do not have 'Do you want to have Sex questions?' the majority of the time because they're already asking by doing the previous physical acts i mentioned. We tend to get turned on, then touch our partners sexually in ways that turn our partners on SO they tend want to have sex. We dont expect them to want to have sex when they aren't even turned on yet. This is how 99% of sex happens. We given huge signals and we get huge signals back. A partner can shrug us off, they can say no, they have remove a hand from them, or they roll over away to continue sleeping.

I'm really surprised that this was classed as sexual assault, and i definitely would of interpreted the guys actions trying to take the initiative and indicating he wanted sex. The moment she said no, and he stopped, he was rejected and seemed to take it just fine like nearly every other man. A very very unusual case that i think should absolutely be appealed and accepted as a travesty of justice. A very narrow interpretation of sexual assault.

Is stroking my back in order to turn me no sexual assault? is kissing my neck? is touching my bottom? Because apparently if i reject you, a year later i can say it was unwanted and you didnt seek my consent...

even though any right minded person knows when you were kissing my neck. it WAS your physical way of checking if i was interested.. or expressing affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

I dont think that this case merited a 18 month sentence with 3 suspended when you look at the compartive cases and sentencing. Sentencing was heavily influenced by the victim impact statement - I'm not sure if the egg shell rule applies to criminal cases maybe it does. I would expect an appeal by the defendant.

The devil is in the detail. She said no to penetrative sex, she did not say no to the sexual activity, they both consented to that and engaged in it. He mistakenly beleived that she consented to the same sexual activity when he initiated the following morning - is that from an objective standard a wholly implausible beleif given what happened a few hours earlier?

If she said no more sexual activity and he initiated the following morning id say 100% throw the book at him but discussing the possibilty of sex the following morning and the previous sexual activity are important in the context of this case, they are extremely relevant to sentencing I would have thought because they are relevant to his intention. I dont know this man but I doubt he set out with the intention that morning to sexually assalt this woman - I'd imagine he thought he was continuing with what had happened the night before and both were consenting. He made a mistake and broke the law but if the law is applied in every case then there would be thousands of people in jail, would you not agree?

I would agree it is a very complicated case and taking your example that the pecentage of women who would respond in the manner this lady did would be in the low % - its a costly mistake for this man - and a case that should be front and centre for every young person in Ireland to be made aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He had climbed on top of her and was fondling her breasts. That's a far cry from snuzzling her neck and gently caressing her body. She woke up to the weight of a man's body on top of her. Why do you think he climbed on top of her before she was awake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

by experience of how any man tends to climb on top of a woman, there are many ways that would be interpreted and I've no reason to think he was pinning her down and grabbing her breasts roughly in some predatory fashion.

by on top. was he having one leg over her? was she laying on her back? On her side? how much of his weight was on her?

Given the various character traits from the man, i really doubt ( of course, i could be entirely wrong), but i would more readily believe he was throwing some of his body over her to set a mood for what he wanted. I don't think he was 100% on top of her and using her breasts like support stands. He was far more likely trying to initiate something, and was support his own weight, and was yes physically over her at least in part. He wasn't planking.

So i think the far cry from neck snuzzling is not so far a cry from what likely took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whether somebody decided to report a crime has no bearing on whether something is or isn’t a crime.

If people are arguing that context is irrelevant (and they are) then that applies to all relationships, and slapping a partner is no different to a stranger.

It should be obvious that’s not the case

• Advertisement

Wasn’t implying that - and also, you’re totally correct and it doesn’t have to be an ex partner seeking revenge- it could be an ex partner whom you sexually assaulted previously who is now ready to make a complaint against you - “revenge” doesnt necessarily come into play in relationships that have broken down- it may have broken down in the first place because of your actions relating to sexual activity- only you and your partner will be able to determine the current health of your sexual relationship and whether it’s built on consent or not - but if people cannot answer that question instantly in the affirmative, then maybe not all is well in that relationship

To be fair you were implying that it was a problem for people who were on pull. It came across smug, not intentional on your behalf I imagine.

Indeed but it could also be someone that is disgruntled, it could also be several different scenarios.

But again this type of "technical" crime is wholesale, the difference being it's not seen with malice so not reported.

Having sex with someone where you believe you have consent, but you actually don’t, IS rape. That’s not the same as somebody trying to withdrawal consent retroactively.

I think you’re splitting hairs a bit on “sexual activity” - she essentially stopped all sexual activity before sleeping- not just penetrative sex- and didn’t consent to sex in the morning, it was tentative at best, which essentially means no consent given. And the manner in which he engaged her whilst she slept certainly sounds like an attempt at initiating penatrative sex - it’s certainly not an affectionate kiss cuddle or caress

In relation to wheather or not 1000s will come forward and as a result 1000s in jail, that’s solely dependent on whether the alleged victim believes they were sexually assaulted the testimony of both and the weight of evidence- as I said previously the story as described in the media may not be considered sexual assault by some if not most, in a relationship with another, however short that relationship is-but in this case, and for reasons we’ll never know, this is how the victim felt and this is the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

How big was she that he had to climb on top of her?

Did he use a ladder or just a stool to climb on top of her?

He may have just put his leg over her as she slept with his back to him.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make as you just posted a link.

But the concept of consent has nothing to do with proving consent, or lack of in court

I mentioned one night stand land as the case in question was a first encounter on the first evening of meeting. - so not sure how that can be interpreted as “smug” or how it could be implied that I believed it’s the only relevant instance- rape can occur in all sorts of relationships but date rape is quite common from a statistic perspective I believe so it was worth highlighting in the context of discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

A hard slap, or a knee to the groin at the time would have been much better for her mental health in that year between the event, and her going to the guards. Personally, I find the sexual assault aspect of this secondary to him putting himself in a physically dominant position over a sleeping woman. Luckily for her at the time, she didn't think Larry Murphy, that seems to have come later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

I dont think that this case merited a 18 month sentence with 3 suspended when you look at the compartive cases and sentencing. Sentencing was heavily influenced by the victim impact statement - I'm not sure if the egg shell rule applies to criminal cases maybe it does. I would expect an appeal by the defendant.

This first paragraph is very relevant. This woman has serious mental health issues even to go as far as attempted suicide. I'd like to know if she had these issues prior to what happened or as a result? It seems very extreme to want to kill yourself when you look at the overall picture. She wanted to make an example of this guy and has ruined his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why don't you read the link - I can't be arsed to repeat myself :)

Date rape, one night stand rape or predator in the bush rape is statistically far less like to happen.

Majority of rapes and sexual assaults actually take place in the persons home by someone they know.

What’s your point? It still happens and this case is not about a long term relationship so I really don’t know what you’re on about

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I feel the exact same......reading the impact statement about suicide, sexual violence, counselling sessions, anxiety, depression....

The actual act was on the clearly lower level of sexual assault. It was a moment in time.

Something doesn't sit rights here.....are we missing a lot of what was reported?

Woke up and said stop doing that. He immediately stops. She then goes back to sleep. Lets him take her home, allows him access next day to her home to discuss, agree to disagree. A year later and we have arrest and charge, and three years after the incident we have this impact statement and a prison sentence.

That's not what he did though. He didn't try to wake her by stroking her hair or cuddling her, or any other non-verbal way you'd like to think of. He climbed on top of her and started groping her breasts while she was still asleep. He crossed a line by acting without waking her up, and that's when it became an assault.

What is very noticeable on this thread is how many posters have recounted the events of the evening using the earlier activity as implied consent for more later, but also leave out the "she was sleeping" part when doing so. It's like it isn't sinking in. The law is clear - some who is sleeping can't consent. That's why he was convicted.

Now, I do agree with the general consensus that the punishment in this case was harsh, considering he co-operated fully with the investigation. I think I would have been satisfied with him making a healthy donation to a charity of the woman's choice. I don't think the custodial sentence was necessary for him to learn not to make the same mistake again.

Sex and consent are not black and white.

Yes, they are.

It's time that sunk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

According to evidence the man was lying on top of her. Not one leg over her, not leaning against the side of her body. He was lying on top of a sleeping woman, fondling her breasts. Something he didn't refute. Why do you think he went straight to climbing on top of her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

How has that example got any reference to this case? Please attempt to explain that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement