Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Has anyone else had bad dealings with North Road Motors up in Finglas?

Options
  • 25-07-2022 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Note to the moderator: I'm well aware that I have to be careful with what I say in this post incase of anything that could be considered defamatory against North Road Motors. Any claim I make can and will be factually verified with evidence.

I've been having problem after problem with this dealership since I bought a corsa from them on June 13th. The problems began right from when I walked through the front door. The sales rep - who I won't name directly, but will refer to him as Mr. A - told me there was zero problems with the car as it had been regurlarly serviced due to the previous owner of the car having connection to an individual working there - this is also why there was never a written service record kept, as the previous owner of the corsa was never charged for any work that may have been carried out on it.

When the car was delivered to me a few days after purchase, it had a flat tyre when it was delivered, the engine management light was activated and later that day I observed a leak from the radiator - So much for the incredible service history the car had that their sales rep was only happy to tell me about.

I made North Road Motors aware of this, and in fairness to them - they said bring it in when you get the chance. I told them as the tax is out, I'll wait until the logbook arrives and sort the tax out first so it's road legal.

Nearly 2 months later, I'm still waiting for the logbook. I won't speculate on my reasons as to why I assume it's taken so long, but I'm sure you, the reader, are clever enough to put two and two together.

NRM weren't returning calls or giving me a direct answer as to why there was such a delay, nor why no change of vehicle ownership has been notified to the department of transport in the past 3 months. It was only after I sent Donedeal an email (NRM advertised the car through Donedeal) and Donedeal decided to open a complaint investigation into the matter and the NRM promptly told them to sort it out, with the response from them being it's being sorted, it'd be out this week.

I find an email then today from NRM saying it's sent out, and I can stop by for a copy if I like. I rang them up and told them I don't care for a copy of the logbook registered in the previous owners name, I paid for my car and for my car to be registered in my name. I told them at this point, they can refund me the money and come collect the car on Friday, or I can get Bank Of Ireland to issue me a chargeback and they can collect the car after the remainder of the deposit (Which was paid in cash and is on the receipt) is made available to me. For legal reasons, I'm not going to quote what the 'gentleman' on the phone said to me when I put this to him, but his response felt slightly intimidating and that NRM weren't taking the issue seriously whatsoever.

I decided then at this point to take the car to my own mechanic and fork out money on repairs because after the dealings I've had with them, I don't trust them to carry out any work on my car.

Has anyone else had problems with them? Did you find trying to communicate with them is like drawing blood from a stone?

Now I didn't just come here to rant lol - If I have to go the long route by getting whatever form it is from Shannon and through a Comissioner of Oaths, has anyone thats had to do this had any success afterwards in claiming for finanicial losses & compensation in the Courts?

I want to know whether I have ground for any sort of civil case against them, most particularly with needing to pay for repairs out of my own expense because it's my claim that they delivered a faulty non-road legal vehicle, leaving me without any way to bring it into them under repairs for warranty, and Mr. A clearly hiding information about the cars condition from me

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭User1998

Bad form on them to deliver you a faulty car, but to be honest I would have just driven the car back to them to have it repaired. You probably would have a case in the small claims court because legally you couldn’t drive the car back to them due to no fault of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Car not yet registered in your name? A few spins up and down the M50 toll might do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not sure what you think posting on here will achieve.

By keeping the car for so long and by getting it fixed by your mechanic you'll have trouble making any case now.

Are they legally obliged to collect the car?

Also you could have asked all this without mentioning the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It would have been preferable to reject the car on delivery, if it was delivered with obvious faults.

I wouldn't have had it repaired, because they will just claim that the work by a third party, caused the damage in the first place.

Don't worry about the poxy road tax, drive the car back to their premises, bring another friend or family member along for support and reject the car, in person, while notifying your lender etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭User1998

No, definitely not. But the fact that the garage made it legally impossible to drive the car back to them to be repaired doesn’t help their case. But it seems OP drove the car to their own mechanic anyway. As I said, they should have just drove the car back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭M3CS

Well, you bought the car despite it having absolutely no service history - why did you think this was a good idea? Further to this, when the car with no service history was delivered to you with a flat tyre, leaking radiator and an engine management light on you declined the offer from the garage to give it back to them to repair. Again, your decision making on this occasion was questionable.

Of course, we're aware that it had no valid motor tax disc so, therefore, it would have been illegal for you to drive on a public road to the garage to get repaired - how did you get the car to your own mechanics garage? Have you not driven the car at all while you've been waiting for the logbook? Why did you choose to keep the faulty car with no service history and pay for the repairs yourself instead of simply giving it straight back to the garage and getting a refund?

Should have got it transported back to the garage.

Nuts from start to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭goochy

The garage don't seem great and the op is not very bright , believing the story garage get was told about lack of service history . As the car was newly bought he could have driven it without tax.

How old is car ? You have to let the garage try and fix a problem before rejecting a vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

9 reviews in the last 3 months - only 1 of which was not a 1 star. Associated comments are also very telling.

To be fair, people who get a good or allright service do not always leave comments and it's not unreasonable to assume that many of the 1 star reviewers only left a comment because they were very unhappy - I guess they would have left no comment if they were just "happy"

But having said that, I would always recommend a read of the reviews before purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Never heard anything good about them.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Guys I have just deleted 2 posts that were reported as being potentially defamatory (they were). I appreciate that everyone else is being careful with the language they are using, thanks :)

Advertisement