Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I disagree.

Look, there's not THAT many points scored by attacking marks but any time you get a mark just because you caught a ball and get a free chance to score a point is just wrong. Catching a ball should not give you the same benefit as someone fouling you. It's just wrong to be in football.

I don't think the mark incentivises kicking in high balls at all. I don't think Kerry were aiming to get marks with all the high ball they sent in on Sunday. O'Shea didn't take the mark when he got the ball for the goal v Dublin. Teams often kick the ball in to the forwards, but it bounces before hand.

We could be here all day long debating if Clifford will become one of the greatest footballers ever but at the moment we should be enjoying watching him play. He is a rare talent. At 23 he is an unbelievable footballer and will probably get better. As a Kildare man I watched him destroy our minors in the All Ireland semi final in 2016,kick 8 points that day. We won the All Ireland under 20s in 2018 beating Kerry in the semi final. Clifford and Sean O'Shea were eligible to play with Kerry that year but play with the seniors instead. If Kerry had both of them we would have never won an all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It's amazing to see so many people wanting to get rid of the attacking mark they must be sadists who get a weird thrill out of slow backwards and sideways passing and 15 men behind the ball tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

In my 20 years or so of watching football I'd have no issue saying Clifford is the best I've seen. He's an absolute class act, has everything to his game and he consistently produces both a very high quality and quantity of scores. His skill level and physicality makes him virtually unstoppable.

Don't think there was anything really between his and Walsh's performance the last day so even as a Galway man I'd have no issue with him getting man of the match, especially given that it is easier to give it to someone on the winning side. Two of the greatest ever All Ireland final performances and was a pleasure to witness them.

I would have big issue with anyone saying Shefflin was the greatest ever hurler. Very good and very consistent player in a brilliant team over many years but there's no way he was above the likes of Canning and TJ Reid and Tony Kelly. Shefflin personified those great teams and is synonymous with them and I think for that reason people tend to overstate his individual performances a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya it's very easy to catch a ball. Before the mark the minute you caught a high ball by the time you came to ground you were swarmed by defenders and conceeded a free.

The mark stopped defenders from only having to defend 10-15 meters inside the 45. The mark forces them to defend the total area inside the 45 because they will conceed otherwise.

A year ago I would have changed the mark to having to catch the ball over your head. However again it would allow packing of defences to a certain extent. Remember the ball cannot touch the ground before it's caught and has to travel a minimum of 15 meters. Not as easy as it looks.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Um sure you mean Matt Connor, and yes he was a great player.

Re:the attacking mark, the reward is not for 'catching the ball' primarily, it's for kicking it, and was brought in to encourage kick passing. It's a bit unwieldy, too much left to the discretion of the ref eg how far the ball was kicked but these can be improved over time. (personally I'd have said a kick outside the 45 and caught inside the 20 was a simpler idea)

It's not perfect, but anything that encourages good kicking is to be stuck with IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yes indeed tweaks could be made to improve but the game is called football for a reason this backwards and sideways passing is total skilless sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Agreed. The best minor I have ever seen by a mile. Looked like a 16 year old playing u12 at times at that level.

Also best player I have seen at this age.

Too soon to be calling him the greatest ever, hasn't done enough for long enough, but he may well get there.

Has every skill in the game, the only area I would fault him on is his tackling - overly robust and awkward and so often gets a needless yellow card which is going to cost Kerry some day when he picks up a second one.

Shane Walsh a clear MOTM for me on Sunday, but is not in the same league as Clifford - When you have to say "on his day" about a player, that just takes them out of that equation very quickly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Only problem is many teams have turned the attacking mark into something it was not intended to be. Your team struggling can’t get momentum? The shrewd player kicks it backwards long to the centre back. Centre back hits it long to the midfielder. Midfielder hand in the air claims mark. Midfielder takes ages shaping up - hand in the air etc. Wastes three minutes hits the ball sideways or even backwards.

Suddenly the attacking mark becomes the de facto defensive mark. Even when a forward claims a ‘handy mark’ because he is struggling. It’s main impact is stopping play. A fella might as well wave to his family and friends in the crowd while he is at it. Maybe tie his laces as well, And it becomes a slow placed ball contest.

I was at the Mayo v Kerry match. And I can’t remember Mayo claiming many marks if any. Since Mayo were struggling for scores and could not get momentum in the game, I was amazed they did not exploit the very flawed advanced mark rule.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You've never seen Clifford do this 😎

• Advertisement

By styleishness I don’t mean hair style. I mean how a player runs with the ball etc. Twists turns.

McCauley was an example I picked because he was not an orthodox Gaelic football player. His origins are of an u19 basketball international.

As a result he looked unorthodox/awkward he did basketball type moves often both with the ball and positioning that you would not see in most Gaelic football players. To me Clifford is orthodox. You couldn’t say he glides along the pitch like his countyman Jack O’Shea did effortlessly .

It is crash bang wallop with Clifford Arse out, hard to get around, strength power. Claims ball, shoots from distance. The male version of Meath’s ladies star Vicky Wall. Power greater than skill level IMO. But very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Great to see this comment is getting the reaction it deserves 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Totally missing the point. If you exclude players who haven't won all ireland medals you exclude 80% of the playing population. So in your opinion the best player can only come from about 5 counties. No matter if he had the size of Clifford, the speed and skill of walsh and the power of Murphy, if he's from Carlow or Laois he's automatically excluded.

Skill is skill. Regardless of medals. One man can't make a team but one man can make a team relevant.

Yeah but if a fella was at a match he would remember pieces of skill like the bit shown by Shane Walsh above. Jayus did you see that? Type of thing. People at home talking about it for years among themselves. Young lads trying to copy it in the backyard.

Clifford would be too awkward to turn that quick in such a small pace. His game is effective simplicity. He is no Saviola!

You can have multiple All Ireland medals and wow the crowd as well. See Diarmuid Connolly

I don’t think it is in the clip above but in Parnell Park tight pitch club game - Connolly was really on song for Vincent’s game, I was at once.

A few times he jinxed left and right. Points from way out. Some side of the foot leaving the supporters from both sides clapping/laughing and shaking their heads in disbelief. Effortless type stuff.

Can Kerry people honestly say Clifford gets the same reaction? Claims ball and boom over the bar. It does not have the same wow factor.

Plus in the Cork game that Kerry were knocked out, in 2020. Clifford was anonymous and so Kerry lost. Greatest player?

David Clifford greatest minor of all time? Maybe.

David Clifford greatest senior player of all time? No chance. Sure he would not even be one of Kerry’s greatest players of all time? Effective player? Yes. Most skilful? No.

As for Brolly praising Clifford as the best ever. People have to realise Brolly likes a headline and blows smoke about the latest new thing.

When Ulster was flying Tyrone and Donegal best ever etc. Wonderful systems of play perfection, says he.

He swooned over them. Then when they faded he slated them, letting on he knew they would all along!

Same with Dublin he is only knowledgeable after the fact. The main thing with Brolly is pantomime headlines so he gets attention and appears wise/correct.

How anyone can take him seriously, I don’t know? Then he goes away laughing - sure you have to have a bit of craic, says he.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah, I was getting worried when the person said he wouldn't have a good reputation after a Snapchat video. But thankfully I've seen the video and it's just the lads singing the nickname of the county board chairman cos they were in his pub and had a tab going.

Not sure why it would damage his reputation or why the media would pick up on it but I suppose he is going to be under a lot of scrutiny from people now.

You need to take off them blue tinted glasses. Would you be saying the same if Clifford was wearing the blue of Dublin. No chance. At 23 you cant say he has no chance of being one of the greatest footballers ever. If he keeps going the way he is and I say if,he will be one of the greatest footballers ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

There's a video of the Kerry lads on the lash chanting Pat the Bag.

The Bag is Patrick O'Sullivan the chairman of the Kerry County Board's nickname.

His family own the Tatler Jack pub in Killarney and thar's where the lads were on the lash.

I think people are trying to make some sort of drug related insinuation.

Gutter press stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

[quote} Clifford would be too awkward to turn that quick in such a small pace. His game is effective simplicity. He is no Saviola! [/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Has Clifford not something untoward in this hand in that video?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

A few times he jinxed left and right. Points from way out. Some side of the foot leaving the supporters from both sides clapping/laughing and shaking their heads in disbelief. Effortless type stuff.

Can Kerry people honestly say Clifford gets the same reaction? Claims ball and boom over the bar. It Does not have the same wow factor.

100% yes. From a quick search, this is one example.

I seem to remember a goal he scored against Dublin where he turned a defender inside out having received the ball just inside the 45. And even if he does just win the ball and stick it straight over from way out, to try and say there's no "wow factor" in that is laughable.

While I do think it's too soon to talk about him as the best ever (he's probably another 4 or 5 years at least before his theoretical peak), I think it's so much more ridiculous seeing people try and intimate that he's somehow not an incredibly skillful player.

His bank card. As many of them do. Because they were told the tab was closing so it was them taking the pìss out of the county board chairman. There's literally nothing to it

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

no , unless your upset with the recent AIB closures

They should sue that absolute half-wit clown that he quoted in the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement

I know it clears it up. Just think its mental it has to happen. Social media is a cesspit. The lad who tweeted saying they were on the bag doubled down in following comments saying you can see bags of white powder being passed round. They're bank cards.

One of the bad things about being successful I suppose is people will look for any angle to bring you down.

Advertisement