Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Also take into account a percentage of your current 7k is already being used during the 9 hours night rate period.

So with the EV and no changes to anything else you would be close to 50% night rate easier than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Just switched to night meter and signed up with EI. Currently working out as 70% night rate, 30 day. Most appliances and Both EV are timed for night use. We are shocked at how easy the change has been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

Great to hear, some minor behavioural changes, make a big difference.

i’m at about 55% at night rate, but luckily, one of our two EV’s, is charged exclusively at work, the other, at home at night rate, the heat pump only heats the hot water at night rate, and all appliances now timed, to finish, just before night rate ends, so i am somewhat limited, at getting this % at night rate, any higher.

Its working out very well overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Even though I am mostly working from home, I am managing to put in over 60% of my electricity consumption between 2 and 5am (have the Bord Gais EV Plan with the 2-5am super cheap rate). I have another 14% of my consumption on the night rate.

EV's trully make up for a huge portion of electricity use, so it is rather easy to make it worth it.

These are the current figures for this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

When I was shopping around before the last rate hike it worked out that I would be saving over €400 per year if I had an old meter rather than a smart meter. Tried get the Esb to change it but they wouldn’t. Some way to incentivise ev charging when it works out more expensive on the “ smart meters “ I was told by the Esb it’s more expensive due to maintenance costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

We will see. Only recently moved, A rated new build with a a2w heatpump. Hoping to be able to set it to heat up during the night and that the house will retain the temperature during the day.

The house had a smart meter installed from day 1, so not much I could do on that end in terms of rates that were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I spoke to Energia today to look what rates they could offer.

Currently on 21c per unit.

They offered this EV tariff 31% discount of 27.43 day night is 7.89 vat included. Needs a day night meter.

Just need to run the figures but it looks good from a glance

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I just rang them and the cheapest they would offer me to renew my dual-fuel (my contract with them just expired) was 29.xx incl VAT day and something like 15+ incl VAT night rate. And 7+ for that gas. I pointed out that their website has a plan with 26.5/13.6. "That's for new customers."

It says nothing on the website that I could find about it being only for new customers. Meanwhile BG are offering (for now): 21.7 day incl VAT, 10.74 night, 6.0 on the gas. I realise that this is likely to increase following EI's recent increase. But if I'm out of contract I had to make a decision now so went with the cheapest option currently available.

I know Energia has an EV rate, but we are able to charge the car at work for free much of the time so the higher day rate on that plan doesn't work for us.

• Advertisement

Bonkers.ie and you can use that to help find something, as you are out of contract they should be trying to keep you

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

So I am out of contract tomorrow with my current energy provider and my plan is to switch to a different provider.

I currently have a regular meter (non-smart) but my EV is arriving mid-September so my plan is to get a night saver meter also as my charging will be overnight and this makes sense.

Should I:

1. Move plans to a regular plan and then get the new supplier to organise/order my night rate meter and then switch to a new night-rate plan with the same provider once it is installed
    2. Sign up to a night-rate plan right away (even though I don't have the meter)

My gut says option 1 because there could be a delay in the install of night meter and the unit cost then goes up while I am waiting and also I know that they are pushing smart meters heavily now so they could fight me for a while on the night meter...

BTW: why are the plans on the smart meters so rubbish? They should make them at least equally attractive as the night meter rates (at night) if they want people to move over...

Thanks,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I doubt you can sign up to a day-night electricity plan before the day-night meter is installed. So I imagine option 1 is your only possibility and I would choose your plan on the assumption that you'll be switching to day-night. It also makes more sense since 24 hour rates are lower than the day rates on the day-night plans.

There has been some debate here about whether the Energia EV tariff (27.43 cent/kWh daytime; 7.9 cent/kWh night) is really a fixed-rate tariff. In other words: is it just the discount level that is fixed or are both the rate and the discount fixed. I can confirm that it is the only tariff at Energia (and probably the only tariff in the country) where both the rates and the discount are fixed. I just renewed on it today.

Although Bord Gais actually worked out slightly cheaper for my consumption patterns, particularly since their gas tariff is currently one cent lower than that Energia one, the fact that I can fix the electricity today at a relatively low rate made the choice a no brainer. If the UK is anything to go by, I imagine that electricity rates are going to soar in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know it takes a little while to switch providers but after switching to Airtricity recently I haven't even received a confirmation email. I'll probably ring them tomorrow just to confirm. Anyone switched recently?

I switched “online” in April, it took 6 weeks to switch over, even after multiple emails and phone calls, and i wouldn’t mind, i had read a few on here, saying - always do it by phone.

@mike 2006, if it was me, i would get the meter installed with old provider. FIRST, then, shop around after it is installed, for the day/night tarriff that suits your needs. I ordered one and it was installed in about 6 working days, its a 5 minute job installing it, also once you order the day/night rate meter, call ESB networks to make sure they have it on their system, and confirm date, as multiple people have reported, they ordered it but ESB networks - who actually do the meter installs, never received an order from the supplier.

and btw, you can’t be on day/night meter tarriff, until you have, a day/night meter

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plasterman

Can someone clarify Energia's EV pricing structure. As the numbers on their site are contradictory in several different ways. I'm totally confused.

Standard rate + discount = no problem.

After the 3000/2000kWh limits are hit what happens. One page says 30.42c/kWh & 14.81c/kWh for high usage. The other page says 38.76c/kWh & 18.89c/kWh but also says the discount is pro-rated. The highest high-usage rate given of the 2 is lower than the standard rate so how can it be discounted pro-rata, unless the number given is the discounted unit rate of an absurdly high high-usage rate not given. Yet the 14.81c is on the main offer page and that's lower than the other number. Nor is the lower number the discounted rate of the higher number.

----

TLDR: what exactly will I be paying per unit after the high usage rate kicks in on the EV tariff.

----

Thanks.

Thanks Fafy…

problem with ordering meter with current provider is that then I need to enter into a new 1 yr contract with them and their rate is not good….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd say they have a typo in there alright.

I've been with them quite a few times and go over the high usage values and it has always been the case that you apply the normal discount that you have to the "higher usage rate" and its only a few c/kWh more than you'd normally pay. It was never an exorbitant rate when you go over.

I'd say the 4 values shown in the botton of your screenshot are the actual discounted rates you will pay. They've made it confusing alright though.

Try Energia, tell them you want to move to them but need the day night meter install.

I was with them and could get the meter installed 2 days after ringing them

I waited until my contract was up, requested the day/night meter, i left the contract roll, and it goes onto standard rates, when you do nothing, there is no obligation to sign up to anything with old supplier, you move onto standard rates, but its only temporary.

as soon as day/night meter was installed i moved supplier, the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

You're entitled to ask for a day/night meter but if you have to put a smart meter back in later pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I believe it's €180 to have it changed if you want it done a second time.

Thanks for the tip - I just did this now - my current provider has placed the request for the day/night meter.

The standard rate (out of contract) is terrible with my current provider so I will be changing as soon as the meter is installed!

Day rate: 57.76c/kWh

Night rate: 27.99c/kWh

Standing charge (Rural) : €603.18

Diesel would be cheaper to run at those rates!

Who's that with?those numbers are nuts!🙈🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

i was planning on using bord gais and their ev plan so charge from 2am to 5am religiously daily. But cant see those plans on their website anymore hmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

I recently signed up to their EV Plan.

I just looked at their site and it is still available. Go into 'Compare our plans' and then use the 'Filters' on the RHS to select Smart meter and EV. You will obviously have to have a Smart Meter but their rate for 2:00am - 5:00am is 5.97c per kWh.

I can still see it there, seems to have changed to 100% green electricity (it wasn't the case when we got the plan).

The 2am-5am slot is enough to get around 23-24kWh into the car, which for me is 150-160km of range, meanig we don't even charge every night. 1€/100km that's costing us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I'm on the Energia EV plan with a rural Day and night non smart meter.

I have solar - 6.2Kwp

Still managed to average 2.5KW per day of day rate ( during the best months of the year! )

Advertisement