Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laws on Consent are deeply-flawed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The defense is usually "I'm sure she said yes but I was drunk" rather than "she said no but I didn't understand because I was drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,230 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Indeed, but is their precedent for an acquittal on these grounds?

I'm not sure off hand, but in the past that had been allowed be your main defense, by my reading of the new laws you'll need a bit more than that going forward.

I don't ever remember reading about any case where an acquittal was gained on the grounds that the accused was píssed.

Given the consumption of alcohol would be a factor in the majority of these cases, it would be extremely odd if no one ever successfully received an acquittal if it was seen as a basis for a not guilty verdict. I'm very much open to correction on that, but nothing comes to mind.

It very much sounds like a law being passed for the sake of it and I don't actually understand what is to be gained from it, apart from an accused stating he/she hadn't been drinking. Which is more of mitigating factor when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What if both people were to claim non-consent after the fact resulting in a he said / she said?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

but isnt the issue with these laws, that even if the person is giving consent. If they've had alcohol, then legally they arent able to give consent? and how do you know its too much alcohol? Like ive had a few drunken fumbles in my time (not many, maybe 4 times, i prefer sex in serious relationships), and there was 2 occasions were we were both very very drunk. We both enjoyed it, but by the standards now, i think it was VERY risky if one of us decided the NEXT day that we are not ok with it.

Also, I think a large conversation goes silent in society that men almost never feel like they were raped, even though the same actions were taken to them. A woman can have sex with a guy who has been drinking (even if the woman is drinking too), and there's almost no societal backing that a guy could be the victim there due to intoxication. The same actions would occur, but because of our conditioning, we dont feel the same way the next day about it. I think thats very wrong then because the same laws wont be applied to both genders even though the actions were the same, all because we've been conditioned differently which brings it back to feelings guiding things.

I completely agree with that its a No unless you are 100% sure its a yes, but the law only activates AFTER the night of sex. That leads to a huge broad reinterpretation of events, and people are huge offenders of dodging personal responsibility. Its in our nature to protect ourselves by blaming others. A flaw in our characters sure, but a very persistent one.

Realistically? It wouldn't get past the interview stage. If one party claimed it later on as a revenge plot, it would probably not end well for them.

I want to say that i really agree with your last paragraph. I think overall, its a step in the right direction, and is likely something at least providing a good set of tools to start with. I'm only fearful of the mis-allegations or a reasonable situation/mistake being interpreted as predatory which I've seen happen before so it scares me a bit.

If the law was just going to be used to target predators, absolutely 100% support it with my full heart. However, I've met some crazy people who would ruin a persons life so easily for the most fecked up of reasons. Replaying abuse dynamics, a coping mechanism, crazy trauma controlling them, vile personal accountability avoidance and some societally encourage victim roles.

I've had a friend who was charged with Rape. It was eventually thrown out of court, but SOOO much damage was done to his life because of the accusation. The girl turned out to be nut-job with wildly different stories, tampering with evidence (deleting messages and thinking the phone is only record lol). It really scared me how vulnerable a person is to the word rape.

Ive also had a couple friends who were raped, and its awful seeing they had no justice and were terrified of even going down that horrible path in courts. One victim though found out the rapist was put in prison 10 years later for a similar much more sadistic gang rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jetz2003

I made a submission to the European Commission about this law a short while ago. The EU Commission told me they are constantly monitoring the rule of law in Ireland and have received several complaints about this. I encourage more men to also report this proposed Government law to European Commission over its implications. I say men because this law will undoubtedly impact men a lot more.

It's amazing how women remain so silent when it comes to denying men their rights yet they shriek and cry foul when men dare to defend their right to innocence. Dozens of life-long husbands and partners may leave their wifes because of the chilling effect of this proposed law and its prejudice. It's like something a first year law student would propose on their first week of college. 

The Justice Minister seems hell-bent on railroading this illegitimate and illegal law onto the statute books. Just because other common law countries have this law doesn't mean we should jump on the bandwagon - those other common law countries are outside the EU. We aren't.  

• Advertisement

Also, I think a large conversation goes silent in society that men almost never feel like they were raped, even though the same actions were taken to them. A woman can have sex with a guy who has been drinking (even if the woman is drinking too), and there's almost no societal backing that a guy could be the victim there due to intoxication

That's generally not how rape works.

If he was anally penetrated against his will, that's rape. If he was tied to the bed and the woman had her wicked way with him as in forced him to have vaginal intercourse that's sexual assault.

I'm not aware of any cases of that TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes because those who draft law have never been influenced by political activists

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The isse of consent is being changed from whether the defendant had an honest, even if mistaken, subjective belief that the other person had consented, to an objectively reasonable belief as to whether the other person had consented. The UK, for example, has been using the word 'reasonable' rather than 'honest' for a good while.

The issue here is it was useless (and impossible really) to decide whether the defendent was being honest about what they said. If a defendant says that they honestly believed that the person who was virutally unconscious with alcohol but who managed a to slur out a 'Yes' to the question of whether they wanted a shag was granting informed consent, what should a judge or jury do in this situaton? And in fact, sometimes when judges were instructing juries about such cases, they have been more or less saying that a story has to be reaonable for the belief to be honest.

I'd be more concerned about this:

"The bill would also include the provision that self-induced intoxication would not be a defence to a charge of rape in relation to an accused's capacity to understand if he did have consent."

Consider a scenario where 2 gay men wake up in a hotel bed together. They bothe have foggy, broken memories of the night before. One man knows he was absolutely pissed drunk and in no way able to grant informed consent, so he reports what happened as rape. Polic investigate, and the hotel footage does indeed show the complainant reeling about the place drunk...but it also shows the accused, reeling about the place equally drunk, or maybe even more so.

I am not sure what would happen under the existing law, but under the new law, certainly, there is no such defence as 'I was too drunk to recognise that the other person as too drunk to consent'. It seems to me that either man could equally accuse the other of rape.

But perhaps that's no different to how it is now anyway.

I think that's my point though, there wont be any cases charged/or going to court of a woman having sex with a drunken man. Even with both of them were drunk.

It will always been the opposite cases we will see. Even though both people did the exact same things together.

We have such conditioning that men are never even self seen as victims when the same actions are done to them. We barely even have it in our words to describe rape being done to a man without penetrating HIS body. If a woman pushes her vagina on to a mans penis, we should view it the same as a man pushing into a woman. We don't though, we don't view it as invasive. There will be zero men reporting crimes like this even if the actions were same by both genders.

Of course, i completely agree that if someone forces a person to do something they don't want to, then that's absolutely reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jetz2003

You can't make laws if they breach EU law. This proposed law breaches EU law and it is illegal.

Helen McEntee knows that.

We do prosecute male rape though. These are generally other males though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Which shows the kind of professional charlatan she is, she knows that even this never goes anywhere, it will play extremely well with media and that's tremendous career equity in terms of her future run for higher office ,she has form in this regard

Yes generally they are, its the non male on male rapes i have concern about the huge disparity.

What stats have you on non male on male rapes that has led you to be concerned about a "huge disparity"?

• Advertisement

Stop it. If you are in any way suggesting that males are likely to report a woman for rape because they had drunken sex and he feels he was unable to give consent... thats nonsense arguing.

How many cases are you even aware of that a man said he was quite drunk and she shouldnt of taken his yes as a yes? Next to zero in comparison im sure.

It doesnt happen, we would be ridiculed.

You need to stop using the word rape. It's a separate thing to sexual assault as I already explained to you.

Now if you are going to make claims that concern you, these claims need to based on something tangible and presented to facilitate the debate you are after.

Now if you can do those things I will gladly engage, but all you are doing at the moment is incoherent ranting and raving about the huge disparity of male rapes being unreported without providing a shred of citation.

You know what, you might be right. Im emotional about this topic. Its a scary topic to me after some things i've seen happened to close ones. Ive had two incidents were women have pushed themselves around my penis without a condom, and it bothers me personally that it would be ridiculed in society for me to ask for it to be considered.

Ill take a step back incase my emotions are blocking me from being reasonable. Cheers for your patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭newport2

I agree it's more relevant to sexual assault.

A man and woman wake up naked together after a drunken one might stand. If the woman regrets it, she has been taken advantage of and is a victim of sexual assault. If the man regrets it, then he should know better than to drink that much and go home with someone. I think that's the way society views it.

When it comes to sex, I think it's different. As a man I have to engage in it. I might regret it the following day, but if I didn't want it to happen at the time I could have stopped it. Whereas that's not always the case for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

A charter for Misandrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭combat14

the principle of consent is fine .. there are also many men who are drunk and taken advantage of in the bedroom by women too..

however all anyone has to claim is "i 100% asked for his/her consent.." and "they 100% said yes and consented"

straightaway its back to he said / she said

unless there is a written contract or audio/video recording of consent being provided by both parties its he said/she said

in millions of years of human existence there never has been a need for audio/video recording of consent perhaps the closest thing to written consent is the old fashioned concept of marriage witnessed by the community however that is now gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That has an inherent assumption that one party is in full control of their senses. The reality is quite often a long way from that.

Ive had two incidents were women have pushed themselves around my penis without a condom

I assume you asked them to leave immediately or you left yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are always other males. It is not possible under Irish law for a woman to commit rape on a man (only penetration of the vagina with an object counts as rape, not the anus).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement