Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going abroad for Dental Implants

Options
  • 26-07-2022 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

I have been told that I will need to have some dental implants (front teeth top and bottom) or to start wearing dentures. I'm in my 40's and would prefer to go down the implant route but have been quoted €18,000 plus what I've already paid for xrays and consultation.

I have heard that I can get the same job done in the likes of Turkey for a fraction of the price. Is there anybody on here who has done this, is there any advice that you can give me, or information on a dental hospital in one of these countries.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Very risky idea. Turkey is not part of EU if anything goes wrong most likely you will get no compensations. many, many cases things went wrong and recently man from Drogheda died on the dentist chair in Turkey.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irishman-dies-suddenly-having-dental-26651347

• Registered Users Posts: 9 merv76

Thanks for your reply - I've heard a couple of horror stories alright re Turkey but then I've also heard from people who have had a good experience getting their teeth done so I'm still stumped.

Does anybody know of a european country bedised the RIP off republic to get implants done?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know someone from Italy living here and he got it done over there, half the price of here he said. There was an issue with one implant, they paid for his flights, accommodation and expenses to come back over and get it fixed. Italy way be worth looking into OP.

That's great thanks for the advice - I'll definitely check it out, always liked Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I saw a recent BBC TV report on the 'Turkey Teeth' crown procedures (report description) option. It was very frightening - the standard of work was low and they would just do whatever people asked for. Clinics would make judgements based on a selfie photo and then tell the client to come on over. The BBC journo had what I would call perfect teeth and on sending to 120 Turkish clinics, 70 offered to do whatever she was asking for, based on the photo submitted. For 50 UK clinics sent the same pics, 34 responded and each said that she should do nothing.

There were Irish clients featured who now face years of work to correct or maintain what they had done in Turkey. The conclusion reached was that social media influencers were promoting the Turkey trip craze.

A write up of the report is available here : https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62100044

I am not sure if you can view the actual TV report, from Ireland.

I know implants were not the focus of the report, but the standard of service received would be a cause for concern. In the end, it probably comes down to doing real research and finding competent dentists to do the job. For me, the lack of EU legislation and consumer protection, would be an issue.

• Advertisement

Hi Ger,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

I'm definitely going to look somewhere else to get the implants done - it's a pity that Ireland has to be one of the most expensive places in Europe to have dental work done.

I've heard some good things about the standard of dentistry in Hungary too so I'm going to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 xemon2000

Hi Merv76,

Did you ever go about getting the implants abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Another year later. Any updates?

Hi Lads,

I chickened out of getting the implants abroad in the end, I had the teeth removed and had partial dentures made up so I can think about implants at a future date.

The thing that put me off was going abroad to have the teeth removed and having the implants fitted all at once - I still plan to go down the implant root but the dentures are fine for now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Talk to your dentist about bone loss, I would at least have the conversation about implants now as you close bone after having teeth removed and you need that bone to anchor the implants, You don't want to save 20 grand only to find you should have had it done two years ago and now you need a bone graft or worse can't have them.

I had an implant done here and it took several visits and time to heal after removal of tooth and fitting of implant before I had a crown fitted. What ever happens you made the right call not going to Turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

How many implants do you need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

You can go abroad without even getting off the island...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

just to add my tuppence worth. I have had 2 implants. On both occasions I had bone grafts. This is based on scans of the jawbone after tooth loss or tooth removal. If this isn't done the implants will fail. The dental prep work and bone graft was fairly tough going.

Even at that the 2nd implant failed and had to be replaced as there was a fault within it. The dental surgery paid for every penny of this, every scan, x-ray and replacement implant. I had the work done in Ireland and know I will have comeback if anything goes wrong. Its expensive work and I would be too nervous to get it done in Turkey as there are often issues afterwards that need review appointments.

Advertisement