Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

To quote the reasoning given:

"That includes media appearances being approved and speaking to agreed frontbench positions."

Is the front bench (and Labour Party) agreed position the railways should be Nationalised?

Yes.

Did Reeves state the opposite?

Yes.

Should she therefore be sacked for this? In your world I presume that's a yes?

Aiding and assisting the Conservatives by pointing out inconsistencies in your line of "thinking" and supposed reasoning for firing Tarry. Hehe god I miss :pac:

And "Corbynista"? Please, isn't this forum supposed to be above all this Daily Mail histrionics.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Maybe so, but isn't that just semantics? I have no idea what Labour's stance on the striking rail workers actually is. It seems crazy that Sam Tarry has been sacked from the front bench for this, or at least that he wouldn't have been sacked if Labour were clearly rowing in behind the striking workers.

Wage inequality is at disgusting levels. Corporate profits soar while local councils discuss planning of "heat banks", akin to food banks, to provide warm places for people to go to during winter so they don't freeze to death at home. It seems to me that Starmer has misjudged this one, and is falling for the Tory trick of turning people on each other by framing this as the rail workers on £60k a year stopping hard-working poorer paid people from getting to work.

I agree the various factions of the Labour party need to unite, but honestly, shouldn't supporting people's right to strike be a cornerstone of their purpose? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Starmer says he agrees with the Conservatives' planned policy of making it much harder for certain unions to strike. I'm not some rabid Owen Jones type who openly despises him, I'm just genuinely confused at what their policies are and what their stance is on striking workers. So are lots of other people, who feel they have no one to vote for at this point.

Edit: So apparently Labour's stance is that negotiations should be conducted between trade unions and government. Well, duh. But what does a union do if they feel what is being offered is far less than their members can accept? It's wishy washy rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be inclined to say the same about lols and snide comments. That didn't stop you though.

All I've seen here is the usual Corbynite toxicity. Labour finally has a decent, if uninspiring leader after the disaster of Corbyn and his antisemitic cadre. They got the worst result Labour have had since 1935 and were more than happy to facilitate a Brexit that was detrimental to the working classes they profess to care for.

As for Rachel Reeves, I suggest you do your own research. I just wanted to call out the misleading claim about Tarry.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What does yet another disastrous election result do to fix this, exactly? Where do the votes to put Labour in power come from? The red wall only collapsed in 2019 so winning back the north once levelling up proves to be a chimera won't be enough. The cities already vote Labour for the most part. Scotland is a fiefdom of the SNP at this stage. That leaves southern England which leans conservative economically. It's a weak hand any Labour hand holds at the moment but it's the hand Starmer holds.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I agree with all of this. I never mentioned elections, but if I still lived in England I'd vote tactically. So what do you think of Starmer's peculiar decision to categorically rule out any kind of alliance with the Lib Dems?

You didn't but that's where the next government, regardless or what party or parties begins. I live in a Labour left safe seat so I can vote Lib Dem without any consequence one way or the other. I'd vote tactically otherwise despite my loathing of tactical voting.

Starmer might not have much choice to be honest. A deal with either Sturgeon or Davey will be his only option. I think it's unnecessary posturing. It'll be forgotten about soon enough. A hung Parliament means a coalition or a rerun of the election. I wish UK politics would grow up in this regard.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He is not "decent" if he can't support striking workers and sacks people for (being interviewed) supporting them.

This isnt your tabloid "Corbynista" conspiracy this is just the standard humanity that is a core reason why many choose Labour over the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But surely the offence lies in the substance and context of the appearance. I doubt he'd be getting hooked if he was interviewed in the Ilford Gazette about a local charity cycle without clearing it first with Labour HQ...

Okay, so moving on from the 'ites' and the 'istas' as a supporter of Starmer, do you think having Labour being headline news, not for some bold initiative or policy idea but for yet more internal politics is a good thing?

Don't you think he created a rod for his own back by having such public pronouncements about no front benchers on picket lines, which he then went back on, and then sacking of a lower ranking front bencher, who was supporting a still relatively popular industrial action, and offering such a paltry and inconsistent reasoning for doing so.

Is it brave or foolhardy to collide with the unions when Labour finances are shot, Tarry suggests Blair had a considerably better working relationship with the unions than Starmer has, what does this achieve, where are the positives to going down that road?

Thatcher cosplayer Truss is already more popular than Starmer and she's not been selected by the Tories yet, so there goes the well at least he's not Johnson benefit he had.

• Advertisement

Spare me the sanctimony please.

There's no "standard humanity". The dirty little secret of the British left is that many people are moderate conservatives who utterly despise the Conservative party. The Scots, the Welsh and the Northern English despise them for what they did to their communities under Thatcher and their traditional affiliation with trade unions before deindustrialization. Cities in the south tend to lean liberal, hence the pejorative "Liberal metropolitan elite".

The UK is a divided country and was so long before Brexit. Wealthy people in England's south don't care about anyone outside their own comfortable demographic. They were happy for Brexit to screw over working class people, for Thatcher to denude the north and now they're happy to sneer at working class people trying to stand up for themselves. It's southern England that decides elections and this reality must be reckoned with.

H. H. Asquith

I wouldn't be a fan of tactical voting either, but would feel I had no other choice in a FPTP system where my number one priority is to not have a Tory government.

The latest YouGov poll has voting intention at 32% Tories, 39% Labour, and 12% Lib Dems. It might be posturing that you think will be forgotten about, for Starmer to say he won't form an alliance with the Liberal Democrats, but I'm sure the Tory gutter press won't forget about it if it does actually come to pass. It seems completely stupid of Starmer to rule it out completely. He could have just said he'd assess all possibilities available to him after a general election result, and weigh up what's best for the country, or something like that.

The problem is that Starmer being wishy washy on issues from workers' rights to strike to Brexit (pretending it's great) is that it isn't even winning over the people he needs. Until my former West Midlands middle-aged Brexit-voting colleagues say they'll vote Labour, he's losing anyway. He may as well pick some actual tangible stances on political issues, rather than selling out and achieving not that much anyway. They should be at 50%+ in the polls with this absolutely disastrous Tory government.

Is Truss more popular than Starmer? Do you have evidence for this? She's popular with the Tory membership but that's, what 100,000-odd people in a country of 68 million.

I never said I was a supporter of Starmer. I'm not a Labour member, or a formal supporter. I do think he is better than his predecessor.

I think southern England will look very unfavourably on strikes and strikers. Nobody here wins an election without southern England. The red wall is unlikely to vote Tory again so there are very limited returns to Sir Keir donning a high-vis jacket and hard hat for a photo op with Mick Lynch and his people at Euston.

As for finances, if the unions want to disaffiliate, let them do so and see how they get on with someone as ideologically capacious as Liz Truss...

H. H. Asquith

A Savanta ComRes poll has her ahead, though tbf there are polls with Starmer with a nice lead.

Oh, and If you thought my "lol" was at your expense, it was not, it was in response to the Labour policy you quoted, hence I didn't quote you, following snide afterwards, well can't argue with that, but the ista and ite stuff is quite uninspiring and irritating.

Btw, I think Keir Starmer has a Herculean task in front of him to form a Labour government after the next GE. He has to contend with a Labour-hating right-wing press, which dominates UK media and England in particular. See the way they treated the Durham incident as compared to the many headlines beseeching people to move on from Johnson's repeated lawbreaking- it's quite incredible.

He has to pretend Brexit is a good thing for the UK- I have no idea how I'd approach this if I was hoping to be the next PM. If Starmer is asked the question "Do you think Brexit has been a good thing for the UK?" how on earth is he meant to answer, and simultaneously increase his chances of winning?

He has to persuade hard-left urban types, Brexit-voting northern people, and a few rich southern types to vote for him. I don't envy him any of this. I just think he's trying to please too many people at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be reaping benefits. The only way to know how successful he's going to be is waiting for the results of the next GE. Polls are of limited usefulness really, and change regularly.

You posted in response to a post of mine. It's fine, no worries.

Like most people here who follow politics, I'm paying more attention to the undemocratic circus that is the Tory leadership contest. I just happened upon the Tarry story hence my original post on the subject.

H. H. Asquith

So you are saying Labour should be moderate conservatives or something?

To be honest I'm finding it hard to decipher what any of that has got to do with what we were talking about.

You scold the Tories for sneering at working class people trying to stand up for themselves but also seem to support Starmer sacking a (interviewed) striking worker. You either support workers rights or you don't regardless of your blind hate for Corbyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The only thing that changed in 1997 was the cabinet and nothing else.

The first Labour gov was dominated on whether the UK would join the Euro. And Labour was split on the issue and decided of course in the end to side with euro sceptics. Sounds familiar.

New Labour was said to have ushered in cultural changes - greater acceptance of minorities and equality for women. But whether those changes were and had happened anyway is up for debate.

You're putting words in my mouth.

I never said that either Labour should be moderate Tories or that Starmer was right to sack that minister.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Sunack has been so thankful to the British for allowing his family into The UK , to get employment, make sufficient money to set up a business and have sufficient savings to send at.east one member of the family to a private school. I have no problem with all of that. bUT , where does he now stand with the UK policy of sending all potential arrivals re refugees , UKranians and suchlike off to some third world African nation. Did Sunaks family really HAVE to leave India or were they economic migrants?

hopefully this area will be covered in one of the debates or he might just might make a statement or two to refer to the issue

• Advertisement

Just to clear up I was asking if that's what you believed not saying you said it. I found your earlier reply a bit hard to decipher.

Ah. Ok.

I don't really have a position on Tarry getting sacked. Just wanted to point out that there was more to it.

With regards to moderation, Labour needs southern England to get into power. There's no way around this as I said above. Maybe if the SNP were a fringe force in Scotland but they're not so it is what it is. I've lived in the home counties. If southern voters wanted to level up the north, they'd already be Labour voters.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Ahwell

His family left Kenya in the 1960's, I assume it was after Kenya had gained independence from Britain in 1963. They most likely would have had British passports and Indians in Kenya would have faced discrimination at that time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Indians in East Africa were brought there by the British to run the place because it was thought by the British that Africans could not do much.

They were into business big time and ran very successful commercial enterprises. So much so that following the various independence events, they were 'encouraged' to leave. Patel's family left Uganda before Idi Amin kicked them all out. I presume Sunak's lot left East Africa for the same reason.

Sunak is wealthy and that should stand him in good stead for the Tory selectorate.

But of course, cheap earrings is the currency going for Truss. I think he could gain a few % points by saying he will not be taking any salary as PM.

It is not just in Ireland where begrudgery rules.

Second and third generation immigrants are entitled to have views on immigration like anyone else.

If they're in favour of stricter rules, then that's their right.

Always baffled by some notion that children of immigrants should be pro immigration or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the irony of this is that the anti-immigration crowd will often regard these second and third generation people as foreigners and outsiders and not really British at all.

Sunak himself said in the BBC debate he has been the victim of racism and name calling in the past (people assuming he was an immigrant).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because its pulling the ladder up behind you in an attitude of "I got mine, who cares about anyone else". Also when its people like Sunak and Patel who got to such positions of power and did so well for themselves solely down to their parents ability to immigrate to the UK its even worse because they look down with such disdain and disgust at the people who are simply looking to do exactly what their parents did and give their children a better life.

I don't disagree that its their right but its also my right to call them out for what they are and that's fvcking disgusting hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

The specific issues I have with Sunak is the impression he is trying to give - in a very subtle way eg I am / my family is just like the typical one of you out there. We had to leave our homeland it was so terrible, we had little money. My parents had to work very, very hard and we got to where we are because of hard work and savings and the efforts/ sacrifices of my parents enabled me to go to private school. I wonder if the rest of the children , if any , also went to pvt school.

both candidates make a big play about their background- read above for example- and how this had a very significant influence on them in fashioning their thinking today, their ethos, their morals, etc, etc. it is in this context that I am wondering about Sunaks position on the recent UK policy change and ‘directing’arriving refugees onto a specific third world African country with a very questionable human rights record

But again, this doesn't mean someone can't be in favour of strict controls on immigration. This doesn't mean he aligns himself with a minority of racists.

• Advertisement

This is such a white thing to say.

Second and third generation immigrants have differing political ideas.

The fact that their parents arrived in a different era is irrelevant.

So Britain only had two periods of unfettered immigration - from the Commonwealth in the 1950s and from Eastern Europe in the 00s and 10s. They decided in '61 to curb Commonwealth migration and in 2016 to curb Eastern European migration.

Advertisement