Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Conor will never fight Islam unless it's when Islam is champ. He wouldn't take the risk of being held down for 25 minutes unless there's a title at stake.

Catch weight, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Islam would destroy him. I can't see past Masvidal or Nate again to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yes, I think Masvidal fir the BMF is the fight to make, December ‘22 Las Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cant just be inactive for years and come back now and then. He'll get walloped by most of the decent fighters on the roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sensible thing would be a fight against a decent top 10 fighter, If it goes well then he can aim for one of the top lads, I personally think his chin/heart is gone and he’ll fold at the first sign of getting hit in the face like poirier #2 fight

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Dan Hooker would be a good fight to make, given both fighter's recent records

I don’t think that fight would really grab the worlds attention. If LW then either Ferguson or Chandler, or WW then either Masvidal or Diaz. I think I’d fancy Conor in any these except Chandler.

Masvidal would pull him apart, you saw what he did Diaz, that's a nasty stand up fight Conor does not want. he wouldn't beat Chandler either. He has no heart, he's become so easy to fight against and the power he had at FW does not translate to LW, Khabib and Poirierx 2 shook off every strike.

He's done lads.

Dominated the FW division in his day and deserves much respect for stepping up to bigger challenges. Gave a decent account of himself against Khabib.

However, he's had way too much inactivity over the last few years.

If he really wants to come back, he'd be best working his way up to the top guys. But his ego and draw is too big to take those tune up fights that he badly needs.

Not to mention he's an a**hole these days.

• Advertisement

Ferguson would be a good shout too, I'm surprised he's still in the top 10. It doesn't really bother me if it doesn't grab the worlds attention or not, plenty of people watch these youtubers boxing, that doesn't make for a decent fight.

I'd fancy McGregor to get absolutely ate alive by Masvidal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I said after the Mayweather fight he should have retired and still believe that. He was in it for money and got more than enough. The edge was gone after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

Reports a McGregor Mayweather rematch is close to being signed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Please no!

Difficult to imagine there'd be much appetite for a rematch. Would much rather see him fight Chandler or Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who wants to see Mayweather beat up a more out of shape McGregor than before?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He likely won’t beat him up. They’ll stage it nicely and let it last.

Anyone who pays for that fight needs their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I wouldn't be fussed about seeing him fight anyone these days. He is done at this level.

Bar the 2 lads looking for a payday who the hell wants to see that. Dana says he'd want to have dementia before he promotes it but Dana is the king of back tracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Watching Floyd play with McGregor for 10 rounds like a cat plays with a mouse before he gets bored and takes it out was extremely boring.

The whole excitement of boxing is that one punch could change everything, like Rahman vs Lewis etc. McGregor has nowhere near the punching power to worry Mayweather. Everyone knows that now. Absolutely pointless, why would anyone want to see this again?? Even the McGregor fans, who are few and far between these days, must see that this is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

jesus i dunno if it keeps him from stepping into another title shot im all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Would not even be as interesting as seeing mcgregor have another crack at the auld lad in the pub. Wouldn't even fancy to knock him off the stool this time either

Definitely don’t wanna see another Floyd fight or any boxing match with Conor. Last time Conor took it as seriously as he has taken any fight, was in his ultimate fitness and condition shape, was totally ripped, and he looked like an amateur in the ring, which I guess he was. Hopefully we see him back in octagon in Dec or early 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Jesus no, the most interesting thing about the last fight was getting Paulie Malignagi in for sparing, that says it all, could he not fight Paddy the Baddy?

I think the best thing about the last fight was the 4 presser events in lead up. Yep they were nasty and vulgar, but watching them live anything was possible to happen in that 1hr. I enjoyed them a lot.

I don't think I've ever seen a professional athlete with a gas tank as bad as Conor. He kind of got away it in MMA because he could KO most opponents quickly. The ones he couldnt ultimately beat him.

Point is, boxing is not a sport for quick KOs. Even Jake Paul will beat him at boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I agree but i will say Dustin said in those two fights Conor hit him the hardest he's ever been hit before & he was buzzed in both of them,

He said in the first fight there was a moment that if Conor followed up he'd have got him out ,

Dustin wants another red panty night, he wasn't in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

McG did land one good bomb in the 2nd fight in R1 that sent Dustin slightly retreating, that definitely was a power shot and his best chance to get Dustin out of there.

He definitely has power when he does land at LW. Eddie felt that power and that guy's been in wars with other hard hitters and even finished Gaethje, but that was back when Conor had way better movement and technique.

If he has a comeback fight it will depend as much on how much he is properly invested and training as it will on his opponent. Being realistic even with his sub-par performances against Khabib and Dustin, the actual performances he put in are unfairly exaggerated by many.

He did as well against Khabib as Dustin or Gaethje did at least, and first rematch against Dustin was still competitive even though he looked worse than before, looked a bit more ropey in the third fight but not actually awful either, we all see far more one-sided fights even at the highest level regularly.

Advertisement