Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is my plan.

It’s not free, but I’d rather pay the €4 a month than be messing around with failed transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Revolut mailed me today to say my direct debits failed but Spotify and apple haven't noticed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Are they not normal card payments rather than direct debits? Don’t think either offer DD as a payment option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I pay with Paypal then it comes through Paypal to my Revolut account so I'm not exactly sure just that Revolut emailed to say it was direct debits , they were refunded to me about 4 days ago but no change on my Spotify or Apple plans yet, I'll probably just go straight to Revolut when they come knocking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'd love to know how they figure out what to bring next to each market. I see in GB they offer pet insurance too! Wonder will that be coming here too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yes had a failed direct debit on my account for Panda Power. They charged me 7 euro for having insufficient funds, very annoying. I thought it was on there side but seems it's likely Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I closed my Revolut account because they could not handle direct debits.

For whatever reason three different direct debits went through earlier this year and then suddenly none went through despite my approval of them in the app.

I tried to contact customer service and got onto their chat. They were simply ABYSMAL, I mean utterly ABYSMAL. Initially said it was my error for inputting account details wrong (how come they went through earlier in the year, then said that the account does not support direct debits (their website says it does), then they said I had to set them up as subscriptions.

They refused to even discuss the €52 of unpaid fees charged by the 3 companies (all 3 did refund them when they saw it was Revolut - all 3 said they had numerous issues with Revolut)

I opened an account with BUNQ that day. Transferred my revolut balance that afternoon, Closed my revolut account that evening.

They have their cheerleaders, but they are NOT a properly functioning bank

They don't "offer" pet insurance. They have a collaboration where they earn commissions. Same as they earn commissions form the gambling, share trading and bitcoin adverts that they bombard you with.

They do not offer a "Free" service - they earn their money from getting you to spend with constant advertising. For many, this can be a very very costly account.

You're not a fan so macvin?

I've been with them since 2016, and never had any issues really. All my direct debits are working fine, currently.

Anyway, I was offered a 1 month free trial of a Premium account. I presume this is just an incentive to try to get me to use premium permanently.

Dont think there is anything from a Premium account that appeals to me.

I am going to the States in October, so the unlimited FX exchanges would be great, but not yet. I wonder will that free trial offer remain until I take them up on it, or if it will disappear in a few days/weeks

• Advertisement

I was initially.

Then I had an issue.

Then I had to deal with their "customer service".

Their inept approach to "service" lost me very quickly and despite the initial person "escalating" it, it was like talking to a robot.

And as you can see above, many people have this issue. I'm with BUNQ since early May and gradually moved all my payments to them and everything has gone smoothly. I had one query regarding the different type of card and it was answered by a real person who then sent a follow-up email to confirm I had no further query.

So I'm now a fan on BUNQ and can click "close account" on my Ulster Bank account this week.

Revolut may be fine for some aspects of banking, but they do not provide a full solution

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Is anyone else having issues topping up revolut with their ebs card? The authentication keeps failing, just shows a white screen rather than taking me to the 3ds secure page to authenticate the top up. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried topping up their revolut using their ebs card and has this problem, or if it's just me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

TBF thats the same as any normal bank these days.

Cut and paste responses and if anything is complicated it can get passed around the houses....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭jj880

Yeah sometimes. Usually I just go into the EBS Card Manager app and the top up appears for approval. Once you approve and go back to revolut the credit is added.

Thanks, but it doesn't work at all, tried two different ebs accounts, called ebs and they don't even know what's wrong

Long shot but try from the website on a desktop PC / laptop. Ive found depending on the phone software 3ds can act the bollix.

Thanks I finally figured it out, still confused but I realised the issue.

After I kept trying two separate ebs cards (from two different non connected accounts) to top up revolut I tried to think what the common denominator was, and it's the internet, so I switched to 4g data and it worked! Seems to be my wifi issue with ebs/revolut or something, because I topped up Revolut using a ulsterbank card today just fine over the wifi just to test it, and my wifi works for eveything else on my phone/laptop.

Still confused why that's happening but atleast I can top up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I transfer a similar amount each month to an Avant credit card. For the last two months, when I went in to look at scheduled payments in my Revolut app just before pay day, it has an upcoming payment or subscription to my credit card down as an upcoming payment. I've cancelled it both times so not sure if it would have gone through or not. I've never tried to save this as a regular payment, always once off because I do different amounts each month. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Revolut have my money in limbo and won't return it. Any ideas?

I converted it to sterling, and tried to pay someone's UK account. It's been sitting in "pending " for days. Initially they messaged me to ask the person's DOB and home address. I said NO WAY was I giving that random info. Why would they need that?

Still in pending, so I said just give me back the money and have received nonsense "please click here for our help pages" messages since.

Any insights as to why they were looking for this personal information for the recipient? I didn't have it, and did not want to ask some random I am buying something from for their details. Even still, I have paid lots of people through international banking before and never been asked that.

Also, where is my dosh? Its been 4 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks I couldn't get ebs then tried herself aib and still couldn't top-up till went 4g/data

• Advertisement

This is the kind of stuff that's makin me hang on to a bank account with a branch nearby. Revolut is great for the app controls and exchange rate but its gona be a few years yet before I use revolut (or similar account) on its own.

Omg so glad I'm not the only one! So definitely something going on with ebs not working over the wifi then with revolut, so weird how it just started. Just glad we can still top up revolut now over mobile data

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Yeah I was half thinking about credit union current account but thankfully someone found a work around to keep the free banking dream alive for now

I tried stable and beta of the app and made no difference either

I think it's basically not calling the security webpage to authenticate the payment, one of the times I did get web page can't be connected page once

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry if this has been asked before, has anyone topped up their revolut account with their avant credit card, is the top up treated as a purchase or an an advance money transaction with Avant card. I need to buy something in £ and I and trying to avoid the FE exchange charge that avant card charge along with the worse exchange rate. What I was thinking was if I topped up my revolut from my CC, I’d still have the few weeks to pay it back along with the better exchange rate then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Avant charge as a cash transaction. Probably still cheaper than using their FX and rate and their commission but either way you'll be hit with a fee.

Had a payment reverted today from a transaction made last week.

Reason given was "The merchant didn't complete this payment on time, so the transaction was cancelled. You have not been charged."

I presume something wasn't done or went wrong at the merchant's end. Can they just rerun their payment file or whatever they do and charge me? I don't use Revolut that often so chances are I'll forget and not have funds to cover.

More than happy to pay what I owe but I won't be chasing around talking to bots and passed from one department to another to pay them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I have using my credit card with AIB if that's any help. No charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭gipi

Sounds like a money laundering check to me. Revolut were looking for your payee's DoB and address to compare it with a name on a "blacklist". Not suggesting for a minute that your payee is on a money laundering blacklist, it's possible that someone of a similar name is, and the info supplied by you will confirm that your payee is clear.

I used to get similar queries from an Irish Bank in my old job, where paying the public was part of our remit.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Would be worth trying Curve with Avant to see if that works or is treated as a cash advance too.

• Advertisement

Should have mentioned it was an in store transaction so they’ll have a hard time trying that 😉

Advertisement