Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Heard somebody mentioning on Sunday that Oisin mc Conville could be in the running if Mickey decided to call time. Bear in mind this was in an Alehouse so I'm pretty sure there's absolutely nothing to it but it got me thinking...

How welcome would he be around Cavan and what's his managerial record be like?

And before any of ye start it's not a witch hunt to get mickey out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Pub talk. He’s managing Inishkeen in Monaghan and apparently he told Monaghan he has no interest in their role, which is actually available, due to his media commitments.

Sure the man is the GAA equivalent of Micah Richards - working for various media companies across different mediums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

He would be fairly well known around Virginia, had the pub here for a few years so would know a fair few of the footballing people this end of the county. Wouldn't have clue about his style of play etc but wouldn't have any bother getting a group of selectors together.

I said it above if Mickey does go Cavan would be foolish not to give Michael McDermott a good look.

• Advertisement

He’s in for the job the lads on the Meath thread reckon but not expected to get it.

The wagons seem to be circling on Graham. Roman Flanagan did a podcast with JMac and the bulk of his analysis is on how, not only did we get the tactics wrong from the start, but we didn’t change things and, what we did change (e.g. McLoughlin onto O’Toole), was far too slow.

A lot of criticism from people I’ve spoken to re going out to play a Division 3 team with a forward line with 3, or it could even be argued 4, recognised half backs in it.

Celt reckons Martin Corey told the players he is gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I don't want to be presumptuous Cavan King, but I think you're mixing your metaphors. I assume you mean the vultures are circling. Whatever decision Mickey Graham does make about his future, I hope it's not based on the opinion of an ex-county player on a podcast.

Anyone I have spoken to is still at a loss about how we lined up. It was neither one thing or another. I could accept if Westmeath cut us apart because we were so gung-ho going forward (like we were in the Sligo game). But we were cautious and still open. It was one of those days that tactically we got so much wrong.

McGowan's review in the Celt is spot on, especially the subbing of Conor Brady. He should never have been on O'Toole in the first place but when he switched he was one of our better players in the second half. No one picking up Wallace was also a huge mistake.

Anyone make any of the league matches? I was surprised that the Gaels beat Ramor.

You are indeed correct. I am butchering metaphors.

I don’t think anyone would expect him to step down on the back of the opinion of a county player but I did think Flanagan’s comments adequately summed up the opinions of most people in the county - how did we get so much wrong in that game from a management perspective?

WAC reckon Graham is staying on it appears. Be interesting to see who replaces Corry. I heard rumours Corry may go onto some of the MonGhan tickets.

Crosserlough always kept Ballyhaise at arms length in that semi final. A certain lad might even be home for a few minutes in the final now that it’s pushed back a week.

Given how the last game went between them in the league, I would have loved to gone to that game and it looks like it didn't disappoint. Not heard WAC but reading the Celt it looks the Lough came out of the traps and despite Ballyhaise throwing a fair bit at them, they always as you said kept them at bay. Sounds like David Brady had another brilliant game. I hope he goes back into the panel and gives it one more try. The talent and physique is there and very quickly like a lot of other lads they will realise that the window to play county football is a very narrow one.

I think everyone agrees that final was a tactical and performance nightmare. If Graham is staying (i actually hope he does) an annoucement would be good (and an early one at that- obviously after it has been communicated to the panel). We only found out the extended panel on our last game! Was thinking if he wasn't staying an early announcement would be vital for fans and players about to play in the championship that might be interested in joining the panel.

Offaly, Meath, Monaghan, Mayo and Donegal at minimum chasing new management teams (you'd assume Down will be too). If we left it late if we were looking we could end up scrambling around and end with a last minute decision like we did in 2016 which led to a load of players dropping off the panel and forcing us to rebuild (again) just as we had made year on year progress for the first time in about 10 years.

• Advertisement

A rebuild is needed now anyway whether Graham stays or not.

A few retirements and its going to leave him very short in players that he trusts.

Out of interest, have you an idea on who might call it a day? Martin Reilly seems to be one everyone is talking about. I also think that it will be hard for the likes of Niall Murray and Chris Conroy to commit at their ages and get very limited game time.

I don't know to be honest the following are getting to the age now where they must be thinking about it having played a lot of football. I think we could be lining out in two - three years time with maybe none or just 1 or 2 of the below.

Faulkner, Clarke, McLoughlin, McKiernan, R Galligan, Martin Reilly, Moynagh, C Brady, C Madden, G Smith, K Brady, N Murray, C Conroy.

Mickey did say that there were lads who wouldn't be back so he must have an idea of who is going to call it a day. It's about getting the younger lads ready now and the likes of Conor Brady, Galligan, J Smith and Lynch taken on a leadership roll and putting in a performance every game.

I'm always critical of Gearoid but it's because he is that good that i feel he is holding back and can give a bit extra in games but i don't know what we will do when he does go he has been there so long and apart from his early days barely missed a game through injury.

In fairness to Mickey, since he's started he's always given youth a chance and you've identified a load of lads he's brought in that have probably 8-10 years to give if they can commit. Add to that Cian Reilly, Carolan, Cian Madden and some from the extended panel that hopefully will feature next year (given the work they put in this year- Mickey always said it took at least one year on the panel to come up to speed).

Lynch has been a real find but realistically if we want to get up to higher (consistent) levels we need two or three more scoring forwards in that line up. Gerry Smith added a fair few scores this year but we need someone from outside that panel to step up (Brady from Ramor?) or the likes of Conor Madden or Pierson to come in and tie down a place. I'd love to think McEvoy or young McGovern could come back into the mix as they are both real talents and ones for the longer-term.

The lads you listed, there's mileage on some but easily 3/4 years left or more on some of them. And you absolutely nailed it: anyone i know who loves Cavan football absolutely is dreading the day Gearoid hangs up the boots because I genuinely think of all of them, he is the one that can't be replaced.

I’ll probably get lambasted for this but I raised previously that Cavan took too long to move players like Mackey and then Martin Reilly into the impact sub role.

I now feel similarly about Gearoid. Both Donegal & Westmeath exposed that he hasn’t the athletic ability to track back on a player who is a superior athlete to him.

My thoughts are now that he should he going in full forward and perhaps be saved for the last half hour of games.

Whilst James Smith does well in there, when the ball is kicked in, I think we’re missing out on having the best midfielder in the county out around that area by not having him line out at midfield or on the 40.

I agree that playing James Smith at full forward is robbing Peter to pay Paul. While he was brilliant in that role against Antrim and Donegal I would prefer him out the field. Definitely was needed to add some drive out the middle when we were so lacking in that against Westmeath.

As far as Gearoid, I would keep him on the 40 for the moment and he's still well fit for 70 minutes. I would have always said he was better on the 40 than midfield, and I don't think he's played much football at full forward. He played one game in there last season for the Gaels and scored 2-10 or something ridiculous (against Castlerahan) so maybe he naturally moves in there. But not yet.

Anyone hear anything about Thomas Galligan heading abroad for a few years after the club championship?

Nope but he’s a physio I believe and a lot of those lads tend to travel to study for a while so wouldn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

This club championship is vital for the next few years for the county team. Hopefully the march to two Croke Park Finals this year can get lads to commit.

Sounds like McVeety will be back for Sunday for the game in Crosskeys. Might tip down for that once I check the forecast (pure definition of a fair weather fan :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Is he just coming back for the Championship?

Rumour has it his travels are over and he’s back to work. He’s a teacher so August is a good time to come home.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

That's good to know, whatever happens with Cavan it'll be great to just see him playing football with the club again, playing alongside Lynch and James Smith is an exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Yeah you'd have to make them favourites for championship. The bookies certainly do anyway.

I think Gowna are going to be close this year (again), and naturally Ramor if / when they get to full tilt will be a handful for anyone. Outside of that the Gaels or a Morris-inspired Kingscourt could take a scalp off anyone on their day. Should be a good championship.

Anyone willing to make their predictions across the three grades?

Any word on the Management i'd say Mickey has his mind made up at this stage !

The County Board seem to be making the right noises so I’d say he’s staying on, hopefully he’s sorting out a bit of a reshuffle of the back room team, has to replace Corey anyway.

We Are Cavan said county board were ready to ratify him. There are that many high profile counties looking for managers now, it’d be a bad year to go looking anyway.

• Advertisement

Hard to know what is best I'm on the fence with him staying on. Although I'd have him before any money grabber from another county he does have the interest of Cavan football at heart. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes and shuffles the backroom team.

Advertisement