Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

Farming as it currently exists will become uneconomical in Ireland because it is in essence a way of turning oil into food (inefficiently). This is in the massive fuel inputs to actually run farms, but more importantly in the form of fertilizers and pesticides/herbicides which are huge fossil fuel consumers. The price of oil will continue to increase year on year till eventually people will not be able to afford the food we produce. This is especially true of the beef and dairy sector which have huge fuel inputs at every stage.

Unless we find a way to cut the fossil fuel inputs to farming it will be dead as an industry in Ireland. Those with wisdom in the farming sector can already see this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I won’t be buying Brazilian beef and if people don’t buy it they won’t sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Aaaand there's the mask slipping DaCor

Don't like 'farmers'? Well there's a surprise

You know who the decimation of Irish agriculture 'doesn't suit" DaCor? It doesn't suit our economy. It doesn't suit our food security. It makes a laugh of Irelands grass based agriculture with very high standards of production and then we have the greens rubbing their hands at the idea of replacing all that with their own peculiar ideology.

And will all these cuts help global levels of emissions when what is removed will be replaced by countries like Brazil? Will they fcuk.

The whole thing is a joke and the greens are the commedians

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Its far from a joke. The greens are actual de-facto traitors and saboteurs to this Island. They do whatever Alliance 90 orders them to do. Eamon Ryan is happy to do it too, nice cushy job for him to go to sleep to over on the continent when he is booted out of the Dail in two years time.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To cut farm emissions by 25% by 2030 and leave the herd size as it is will require the discovery of some class of discarded futuristic technology that a time traveller leaves behind for us to experiment with 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The traceability of Irish beef is important. The farm to fork model. There are very stringent restrictions on what is killed, when it's killed, how its killed and what's in it when killed within the EU. The US have different laws and Brazil, well, let's just say less.

The EU needs to be, and has always trod to ensure that we're are self sufficient with food. The war in Ukraine shows how interrupted supply lines can damage this. Ireland are a net exporters other countries are not, relying on foreign food staples regardless of how wealthy you are is never wise

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well we could just eat more veg and fruit ,meat production is extremely inefficient

I like meat but I'm sue I'd survive without it if push came to shove, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

You could survive but would be hungry and miserable for the rest of your life. Remember, eating fruit and veg from overseas would not be acceptable either so you would have a very limited range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well we import most of our fruit and veg as is. Transport is only a tiny percentage of the emissions involved in food production anyway.

https://ourworldindata.org/food-choice-vs-eating-local

Of course we import food. What planet are people living on if they don't know we import lots of different types of food. We live in a global economy where imports of all types of goods have increased exponentially in the last couple of decades. Lots of food we can't produce here or at least not all year round. And let's not get started on the ever rising quinoa and avocado imports.

What is this shite that the food sector alone should provide everything and we shouldn't export anything? Which other sector is this demanded of? What other country in the world doesn’t import and export foodstuffs?

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Grid storage is a long term issue. In practical terms, will it even be significant in 10 or 15 years time and that is with the best of will.

Gas, coal, oil, even nuclear must be in the Western European energy mix along with renewable.

There is issues with wind..

All eggs in one basket is always a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I meant if it comes to that, one of my sisters is a vegetarian and she's not at all miserable

For the volume of lobbying the IFA have done, you'd have to imagine they are a bit cheesed off with the 25%. The last line below sums it up

Friends of the Earth CEO Oisín Coghlan said: “25% is lower than we need from agriculture. It makes other sectors’ emission cuts even more challenging as they’ll now have to pick up the slack and make cuts of around 65%.

“On the other hand 25% is not what the agri-lobbyists wanted either. The last few weeks have shown that the IFA [Irish Farmers’ Association] don’t have a veto on Irish climate policy like they used to. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Vegetarians eat dairy which is being highlighted for these cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Energy and Transport have high targets - so basically that means substantial rises in carbon taxes to try and twist the public's arm to buy EVs and AirtoHeat pumps etc. In other words, the state proposes to hit the easy soft targets and use the cash raised to counter balance other sectors.

Curiously I think this has the potential to be a real sh*t storm for rural government TDS from FF/FG. The Greens are dead in rural Ireland already. The reason I suppose this is that there are far more people living in what might be called rural Ireland who are NOT farming. But who tend to rely on home heating oil, who don't have access to public transport and faced with shrinking public services & housing, have to travel further all the time. Big petrol & diesel bills.

The likes of Patrick Donovan or JP Phelan, McConalogue may think they have covered their asses but the real crap could start flying when other rural dwellers/ commuters realise they are carrying a much larger burden, in order partly to prop up so called 'just transitions'.

maybe look at the post I was responding before you reply to my post

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If the product isn`t there do you expect them to go vegan ?

Do you think Brazil is increasing their herds by 24 million cattle while we are supposed to decrease ours by 2 million. because they believe demand is dropping ?

would you buy brazilian beef? I wouldn't, I'd have chicken or something instead.

Isn't the appeal of Irish beef it's green grass fed image? How would Brazilian beef replace it so easily? Serious question, I would have thought they're a totally different product and brazilian stuff wouldn't be very marketable in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Its going to get to the stage very quickly over in Europe that people will no longer care how much green grass their beef is being fed but how much green is or isn't in their own wallets to actually purchase the food they have become accustomed to.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I wouldn`t dream of eating it, but then I am living in Ireland. If I was living somewhere else and there is no comparable product to Irish beef, (and there are few if any that are),then I might have no choice.

It`s marketable because its produced cheaply and Brazil exports 60% of the beef we do to the rest of the E.U. while we are a member state of the E.U. they add 24 million cattle while we are expected to cut ours by 2 million all for the supposed sake of global emissions.

Explain the reasoning behind that nonsense to me.

You really don't have much of a notion about agriculture here do you?

Tell me what country globally doesn't use fertilisers?

"The price of oil will continue to increase year on year till eventually people will not be able to afford the food we produce. This is especially true of the beef and dairy sector which have huge fuel inputs at every stage."

Beef and dairy farming in Ireland is efficient precisely because much of it is grass based which grows well here and means we have a huge advantage over other countries, where it doesn't. And yes fertilisers are used here. No one us saying otherwise

But leaving aside looking only at animal agriculture for a moment. Do you imagine that any country can grow arable and horticultural produce on a commercial scale and not have "huge fuel imports at every stage"? Fact is massive quantities of fertilisers are used in growing crops globally.

Btw you should also be happy that Ireland has relative low levels of pesticide/ herbicide us as these are more commonly used in huge quantities in countries which produce arable and horticultural produce for cultivation and weed control

As for your opinion that

"people will not be able to afford the food we produce"

Well that will certainly be of true of practicality every country on the planet if feriliser use is curtailed. Because when fertiliser use is curtailed, yields of all foodstuffs will fall. And when yields fall, food becomes more expensive whether thats animal, arable or horticultural foodstuffs.

This crusade against Irish agriculture alone is truly bizarre. Most of it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Yes it's ridiculous, if the EU has real aims of reducing emissions they should ban the import of emission heavy foods like beef from these places. It's stupid sh*t like this which just makes it obvious to me we are incapable of joined up thinking and the whole planet is f*cked.

Well, based on performance and demands the Irish Green Party are the most incapable of the lot on joined up thinking.

Their mathematical ability isn`t up to much either when it comes to wind energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yield on organic farms eventually exceed conventional farms. It takes a decade or so for yields to reach parity with conventional agriculture. It is entirely possible for Ireland to reduce its fossil fuel inputs to agriculture and maintain yields but it requires a wholesale shift away from fertilizer and pesticide based farming. If that were to happen I would start to buy into the grass fed beef narrative.

Yeah I quoted the wrong one. Point stands though. Your comments here are continously going on about Ireland importing / exporting food as if its some big revelation. It's not. There's nothing surprising about importing and exporting food. Atm most of Irelands agricultural produce goes to its EU trading partners and the UK with similar standards of production and vise versa. Killing agriculture in Europe and farming out carbon emissions to developing countries helps no one.

Sri Lanka showed what happens if you go organic, and a 5 year study by the University of Zurich showed exactly the same for Europe attempting the same.

A ban on a wheat pesticide without and alternative being allowed resulted in a drop of 11 million tonnes of wheat grain in France. With a stroke of a pen E.U. green policy created 55% of the world shortage of wheat grain that Putin`s war did.

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

Laughable isn't it. Our government trying to be best boy in the EU by completely destroying our economy.

• Advertisement

If you're going to make bald statements about organic systems and yields versus conventional systems over time where current research says otherwise you're going have to better than simply make a claim that organic yields will exceed that of conventional farms. On a commercial scale that's total bs.

"For decades, there has been debate about the possibility that organic farming can feed the world’s population. The most recent studies, analyzing the yields of individual crops, show a yield gap between organic and conventional farming. The rotations and the intensity of soil use are also different between systems and the impact of this factor on productivity has not been assessed. A meta-analysis of the yield data of organic and conventional crops and the intensity of soil use (years with harvest crop in relation to rotation duration) was carried out using studies published in peer-reviewed journals. The yields under organic farming were on average 25% lower than the conventional ones, reaching a yield gap of 30% for cereals. The intensity of soil use was also lower in organic systems, the size of the reduction depending on the type of study: field experiments (7%) or on-farm studies (20%). Combining the yield gap with the reduction in the number of crops harvested in the rotation, a productivity gap of 29% to 44% was estimated depending on the type of crops included in the rotation. These results show that the productivity gap is greater than the yield gap between organic and conventional farming."

Do you imagine that farmers worldwide go to the bother of purchasing expensive fertilisers etc when they could get even better yields according to your good self without the self same fertilisers?

Currently there is no food shortage globally - largely because of the green revolution and adoption of fertiliser and herbicide/ pesticide use globally.

If you've ever tried to grow crops organically you would know your first sentence simply does not stand up to scrutiny.

And if you know anything about beef cattle rearing here - beef cattle are indeed predominantly grass fed

Advertisement