Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

That one makes no sense. I’ve heard Brick Walsh is part of Derek McGraths ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

The rumour mill is in overdrive.

I heard that combination too but which of those two would be the real manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Surely not McGrath or Fitzgerald. Ideally Molumphy is the only one on that list that should be considered.

People putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. Fennelly has basically been chucked out of the Offaly job now all of a sudden he’s lined up for the Waterford job? McGrath is s proven manager in his own right why would he go into joint management with a rookie

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe a joint management thing might work better for Derek and it would lower the work load

Remember Limerick had Donal Og Grady with TJ Ryan who then took over it full time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭OEP

What was Cody's managerial experience before 1999?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Looking at the candidates mentioned:

. Eddie Brennan - was in charge of the KK under 21s who lost to Westmeath, Limited success with Laois, Out and Out Kilkenny man who has constantly sniped at Waterford over the years and whose primary interest would be in managing KK - Verdict - no track record of success as manager and no allegiance to Waterford - not suited.

• Michael Fennelly - great player and has good knowledge of Strength and Conditioning apparently - limited management experience and done OK job with Offaly where he had serious backing - undoubtedly strong allegiance to KK but never really comes into reckoning for top position - verdict - limited track record as manager, but experience as a winner - outside possibility.
    • Davy Fitzgerald - journey man, loads of inter-county experience, comes in gees players up or rubs them up the wrong way - fire and brimstone approach - only real success was with Clare and did not last long there - has overseen more than his fair share of disasters and controversy - really only a short term option to raise expectation in counties who have achieved little in recent years - verdict - potential disaster for this bunch - not suited
    • Derek McGrath - good experience with Waterford, but surely carries lots of baggage with some of the current panel, and divided supporters like nobody else. Now more than ever we need everyone behind the next manager. Would still fear his overly negative tactical nuance, and focuses more on what he says (or writes) than what he actually does. All that being said nobody doubts his commitment to Waterford Hurling - verdict - could make it work but i would have grave reservations as to whether or not he has learned from past mistakes.
    • Stephen Molomphy - young and relatively inexperienced in management however was part of Cahill's initial set up and worked with Davy in Wexford - took the main job in Kerry and while he courted some controversy was unlucky not to secure promotion for Kerry. An undoubted Waterford man out and out, and his background in the army might just instill the discipline this and future groups of players need to take the next step - would, i feel (maybe others know different) have limited baggage with any of current panel and would be respected by players and supporters alike. Not sure how he is fixed work-wise given how he had to cut short his stint under Cahill because of work commitments - could this be a problem going forward? - verdict - a bit of a gamble, but given the limited supply of standout candidates, a very good option.
    • Tony Browne - great servant to Waterford and really sound individual - again no questioning his commitment to Waterford and would be popular with supporters - very limited experience as the "main man" and has been involved with panels that have gone "pear shaped" such as the U21 side mentioned and last years panel - verdict - believe it is too soon for main job, but again feel he would be a valuable part of the management team.
    • Others for consideration - Eamonn O'Shea (Tipp) & Michael Ryan ( Tipperary) both previously successful managers and highly rated as coaches, but understated characters (in my opinion , who focus more on their job than the media) - both unlikely to be chasing Tipp job any time soon and might just like one more shot.
    • Quite frankly in my opinion there is no stand-out candidates out there. Any appointment is going to involve a leap of faith, but i think major focus has to be placed on the "Management Team " i.e. coaches, Strength and conditioning, mental preparation, fitness and communication. For me it Stephen Molumphy is still my preferred option, with possibly Tony Browne, Brick Walsh and Joxer O'Connor as selectors ( assuming they would be willing to accept the lesser roles)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭razorronan

Another Candidate could be Micheál Donoghue. Has won an All Ireland as a manager and has shown willingness to work with a different County in the past (Tipp). I'd imagine commute would be an issue though.

Anyone actually have any confirmed info on whose hat is in the ring? Or is it top secret

McGrath and Molumphy seem to be the 2 being mentioned as definetly being interviewed. I’m waiting in hope to hear about an outside wildcard like a Liam Sheedy but my hopes are dwindling as I’d say it would be out there by now.

Streaming services for the upcoming senior club games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Wlr reporting that Donal O Rourke will be working as a selector with Pat Ryan for Cork next year.

He’s well entrenched in the club scene in Cork so not that surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

So fennelly is this guys favourite…..! This rules him out

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Dungarvan the better team alright. Four mile just seemed to lack a bit up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

What are the predictions for the remaining senior games?

mt sion v abbeyside

roanmore v lismore

passage v ballygunner

Abbeyside by 5

lismore by 3

Ballygunner by 10 plus…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd go with those sides winning too and give or take those winning margins also. On a side note, anyone else think 10euro for a club game on that clubber.ie site is a little steep? I mean, most of the intercounty games on the GAAGo site were that this year (all four of Waterford's round robin games were anyway). I seem to recall club games being 5euro last year or the year before.

Any word yet on who has been confirmed to have been interviewed (or still to be interviewed)? Given they have said they're looking to have made an appointment in the next week we should surely know who has their hat in the ring by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

• Advertisement

Very fair analysis. Would agree with a lot of it. I think Molumphy would also be my preferred choice but would share the same concern re his role in the Defence Forces which cut his time short previously as selector. Shane Briggs & Pat Bennett were also with him in Kerry, would be surprised if Bennett was involved with Waterford given his 3 sons are / could be involved in the panel over the next few years. Getting the right management team in place would be the key element. Molumphy in theory has a lot of good managerial qualities in terms of organisation & discipline, but so much will come down to the coach & S&C he would have with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

Not sure that molmuphy has enough experience for the job?

A valid concern yes, but he knows the majority of the panel from his time as selector & has a full season put down with a much changed Kerry panel this year with relative success.

I wouldn’t see Fennelly as being any more suitable & think his time in Offaly wasn’t exactly a success so not sure why he would be in the equation.

Brennan while having a high profile I wouldn’t rate overly. Did well to win the Joe McDonagh with Laois & obviously the Dublin scalp fired him into the limelight. But he wasn’t able to keep that Laois panel together & his time with the Kilkenny U21’s resulted in one of their worst ever results possibly. Not sure how Cuala have been going under him.

Micheál O’Donoghue would be interesting but probably not long term solution given the travel involved. How is David Herity thought of in Kilkenny in coaching terms? If they didn’t get the Kilkenny senior job then the U20 management from this year might be worth a shout. None of the above have been linked in mainstream media though so probably aren’t on the shortlist.

id share the same concerns,

different if we had a young panel I’d say give him time, 3 year term to build a team. But the age profile of this team your looking for someone to come in and hit the ground running to try deliver an all Ireland in the in the next couple of years. That might be a big ask for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Suppose if Molumphy doesn’t get the job he can go back to Kerry and get another years experience there (assuming he’ll be offered another year there). Who knows what opportunities would open up this time next year, if Dara Egan has another underwhelming year with Wexford he could be out the door and given Molumphy served as a selector there under Davy for a while, he could be in with a shout of getting that job. A bit like ourselves, Wexford don’t seem to have any issues appointing young/up and coming coaches and/or from outside Wx. Would be a nice stepping stone up from Kerry and only be a question then of when the Waterford job became available. Obviously lots of ifs and buts there but just mulling a few theoreticals.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭razorronan

Darren Gleeson another possibility. Antrim were very competitive in the league this year and were beating Cork by a point at Half time in the Championship. They kept their division 1 league status and qualified to be in the round robin in Leinster next year. His 3 year term has come to an end with Antrim also.

Eddie Brennan getting it is the word going round now

I’d say an equally believable rumour is that ger loughlane is getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

molumphy's day job is a commandant in the army

his job is to organise his lieutenants, his nco's his troops, logistics to make sure they have everything they need, make sure theyre fit and their skills are utd , i can think of no job position more in line with the needs of an intercounty manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ballpaddy

Certainly would tick a lot of the boxes on the leadership front, I'm also a huge believer in going with one of your own, however when the comes to a profession suited to intercounty management school teacher/principle wins hands down, 17/22 all irelands this millennium won by the occupation,

Advertisement