Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Point of order, Elizabeth Windsor isn't their head of State. Both are republics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see. The Commonwealth is even more rickety than I thought.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ireland withdrew/got removed in 48 (although we'd long ceased being an active participant) when we declared ourselves a republic, as this was against the rules at the time. You had to have the monarch as head of state. This rule got removed a few years later when India was in the process of becoming a republic, as the Commonwealth didn't want to lose such an important member (a jewel in the crown you might say).

Since then most members have declared themselves republics (all/most of the African ones anyway) and very few have the Queen as Head of State now.

Interestingly some countries like Gabon & Rwanda who joined recently were never colonised by the Empire, so clearly they saw some merit in being part of it. And some who left have rejoined.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Willing participation? This list of uprisings against British rule over the last 500 years must be fictitious then......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Enlightening to see that some in the UK still look on Ireland as being a bit of an adolescent pupil or child; whitewashing history about its role in The Empire rather than act with a degree of self-awareness at just how toxic (to use the modern parlance) the relationship with Ireland truly was. Very strong echoes with previous user who used to take this exact same tack.

"commonwealth" - if ever there was a misnomer for an obviously lopsided institution, it'd be this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I feel like the commonwealth only exists because it's just easier for a lot of countries to stay than leave. The desperate championing of it by the little Englanders belies the role it played in helping to keep the UK in the EU in 1975. Ironic now that they're looking to it as some sign of Britain's leadership given that they've just discarded perhaps the only justification for its existence.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't understand why the commonwealth countries stay. Does it give them priority in anything worldwide? Can people from, say, St. Kitts and Nevis migrate freely to the UK, get public assistance and jobs? Why do I think I already know the answer to that is no. Is there other economic benefits or subsidies going on? Again, I doubt it's significant enough if the likes of Barbados are leaving. If the bigger economies like Australia would go, it'd probably snowball.

Plus, there's already the Olympics. That's enough international sporting teams to support I'd think. Whole thing is symbolic and looks like just places for the Royals to go on attractive photo shoots. Might just add a few more flower shows in the UK for all it benefits anyone.

I don't think it does. I think it's just a case of the fact that it would take political effort to leave it for no corresponding gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No issue accepting the history of this island Frazer. I physically work to perseve aspects of it, like planter castles, British built heritage. No airbrushing here.

I fully accept there were those who partook in colonisation and imperialism too and that there are those who regret our independence.

I have also noticed, as stated that British outreach is fading for me, I genuinely didn't know these games were on until the DOrries gaff.

I fancy it is the same for many in Ireland. You cannot pursue a policy of isolationism and then be surprised when nobody notices something you are doing from outside.

For those who say that countries remain in the CW through inertia, it's worth pointing out that countries who left have re-joined, and countries who were never part of the British Empire have joined. So clearly they see some merit in it and it's thriving.

Ultimately it's not something we should over analyze I guess. The French equivalent has more members, shares some members with the Commonwealth and also has many members who were not colonized. It doesn't have a big sports event though so it's less visible.

Organisation internationale de la Francophonie - Wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We're an observer to the OIF

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cheers, I genuinely didn't know about there was a FR equivalent of the Commonwealth Games - every days a school day around here!

I just think, for whatever reason possibly historic, we make a bigger deal out of Commonwealth membership than it deserves. That because we left there is something wrong with the countries who are still in it, and we are waiting for the time to come when they see the light like we did and decide to leave.

Ironically, having typed the above sentence, I see similarities to the UK attitude to the EU. They thought once they left that logically other countries would also leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can people from, say, St. Kitts and Nevis migrate freely to the UK, get public assistance and jobs?

Come on now. The UK were part of a union where they left and one of the main reasons was a fear of being overrun by foreigners - mainly the eastern european white variety. What makes ya think the UK have some agreement to allow non whites from far flung corners get in without issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ireland is kinda unusual though as we were split with one part very much still a member of the empire so Commonwealth membership is wrapped up in Unionism (both the NI type and the D4 type). It is all a bit overblown with people on both sides and I've been accused of being some sort of IRA neanderthal because I would rather we didn't join (get the same sht because I still like to see England lose the soccer).

Also in peoples minds it is linked to John Bruton waffling on which isn't great for the cause either 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Can people from, say, St. Kitts and Nevis migrate freely to the UK

The UK were part of a union where they left and one of the main reasons was a fear of being overrun by foreigners

St. Kitts and Nevis population 53,000 - very unlikely to overrun anything.

Such small countries needs friends in this world, and being under the Queen (if only symbolic) and member of the Commonwealth looks much better to me than all alone. It's very difficult to get enough qualified persons out of such a small population to run a modern state.

"The British dependency of Anguilla <population 15,000> was historically also a part of this union, which was then known collectively as Saint Christopher-Nevis-Anguilla. However, Anguilla chose to secede from the union and remains a British overseas territory." /Wikipedia

Though only marginally different in practical terms, Anguilla's may well be better choice.

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One wonders what condition the Commonwealth would be in had the Queen passed away around 20 years ago - I suspect her remaining on the throne for 70 years has been a big factor in it surviving.

I'd say we'll find out soon enough what happens without her. I can see a lot of states slipping away from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are two separate questions.

1) Head of state being the UK Monarch. This is purely symbolic because the Monarch has no effect on the operation of the colony.

2) Being a member of the CW. This is little more than symbolic since it is not a trade bloc, nor is it a alliance. It is probably best described as a dining club, where every so often, the heads of state get together for a fancy dinner in one of the states. However, it gets little publicity outside the state hosting the dinner.

I doubt it will survive the passing of E II.

Indeed, Charles is not popular and lots of stuff on social media in the last day or so about William not exactly being a wholesome character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newport2

Agreed. You can see in places like Canada and Australia that there is a great deal of affection for the monarch among a lot of the population. Without her, I can see a lot of the incentive to stay dying out.

Yes, I think she was the glue that held it together. She's been the head of state for seven decades, a phenomenal amount of time. When she passes away, all bets will be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well there weren't a lot of other job opportunities in Ireland (except in the north-east, if you were the right religion) but we all know why that was.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Strong chance Australia will be a republic within ten years.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I see there is some misunderstanding on what the Commonwealth is and I wasn't up to date with some of the information either and I wonder if there are some merit to joining it. There are no real legal obligations and you do not have to accept the Queen as head of State and the meetings of the Heads of State is a good opportunity to meet with other leaders. I doubt that is a bad thing.

You cannot run from your history and there are countries within the Commonwealth that has had just as hostile history with the UK as Ireland as the Empire was not a fun club at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

But we're already a member of a bigger and better club - namely the EU.

Do we really need to join the Commonwealth as well especially given the attitude of the CW mother ship to said EU?

And I do agree about not running from ones history but sometimes it's just as important to leave the past behind.

Genealogy Forum Mod

What benefits are there? A large friend like the UK would always be helpful but 2022 Britain is neither that large or that trustworthy a potential friend IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Unless there's some positive economic benefit, why bother? It's not a military alliance, it's not a trade alliance, it's not a political alliance, just occasional parties and a meaningless sporting event that largely proves nothing about the state of sport in the participant countries, unlike the Olympics (both good and bad I admit.)

And Britain's gone off the isolationist deep end. Why tie up with them? The countries in the Commonwealth were all started as UK colonies, or others that were eventually conquered by the UK. Who needs them in your history?

I think it dissolves once the Queen is out of the picture. Maybe they still have their sporting event every 4 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

When ER II dies the UK itself is reasonably likely to fall apart, nevermind the Commonwealth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wasn't there a plan/hope to turn the Commonwealth into a trade bloc to compete with the EU? Which would rule out us being a member.

Advertisement