Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Holland T5. 120

Options
  • 29-07-2022 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi lads looking at upgrading to a 2021 New Holland T5. 120. Its ex hire and has 500 hours on it without cab suspension and he is looking for 77k. Would love to know anyone that has one how they find it. Had a look at a 2005 jd6220 that a local dealer had aswell but it had 9300 hours on it and wanted 32k. Which would be better value thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

defo the ex hire. 6220 has good rep but at stage where it could need turbo or any number of repairs. you could sink 7/10k in 2 r3 yrs into it.

Trust me I know. put turbo in 30 series recently. cost north of 2k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you do much road work? Not many tractors that fresh coming without cab suspension nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

There’s no easy answer to a question like this. The new tractor will lose a fair percentage of it’s cost over a few years while the older one probably won’t lose a lot. The new one should be more reliable and cost less in repairs, but it’s also more complicated with electronics and emissions controls. What are the tyres like on the JD? A new set could probably add 3 to 4 thousand to the cost, if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Not major road work. Would you notice the difference much between the two?

Tyres are 90% in the back about 50 in the front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Warranty on the NH? Older machine can be lucky or unlucky re anything to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Completely different tractors and turbos in fairness. The 30 series (if its a premium) likely had the variable geometry turbo which isn't as robust as the standard type.

The John Deere is less than half the price but its not half the tractor, if its a well specced 20 premium I'd argue it could be just as nice a machine to operate as the New Holland. However if its a poorly specced SE I'd be looking at the New Holland

Anyhow depending on spec both are likely on the money whichever OP chooses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cab suspension does make a difference, although the air seat does iron out a good bit of the bounces. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor though. We'd do a fair bit of road work between ground and it make for a nicer journey. Don't have front suspension though.

I'd say whether you notice it would depend on what type of roads you're on. Small bumpy back roads - yes. Anything else, not really. Big difference came when the dealer reduced the tyre pressure and put a set of front weights on. Tamed it down quite a bit - short wheel base tractors do have a tendency to bounce along anyway.

6 months warranty. Anyone have one or T5 110 or T5 100?

What extra specs would be in the premium version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

A JD of that vintage might be OK but stay clear of newer JD machines as JD have you held hostage with the software in them. Their dealers have sole monopoly on the software used to service them. So you would be unable to get an independent mechanic to service the machines and are behold to the dealers. JD are also trying to prevent any sort of mechanical repair or service being done outside of the dealer network. They are going to the model of Tesla which is: buy it, use it, if it breaks you can't fix it so we will sell you a new one with yours as a trade in.

There is big trouble in the USA over this. Google Right to Repair Movement USA.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Faster hydraulics, optional cab and FA suspension, electric shuttle, 4 valve engine

It's the same with all manufacturers for a long time now.

Software is encrypted for security reasons to stop people amending emission control features.

If a farmer wants to diagnose what's wrong with a John Deere can familiarise himself with the onboard command centre (which will tell him what's wrong) or he can buy service advisor to give him the information.

I'd say the way it'll go in another 10 years is no-one will own tractors, they'll just be leased off of a dealer or manufacturer and you use it away and you pay an extra supplement for each hour of use and any problems the supplier would repair or sub in an equivalent replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Those t5s are one of the most uncomfortable tractors you could drive,be grand for a yard tractor

On the other hand, this takes a lot of the risk out of buying a used tractor. A lot of faults on used tractors are because of poor maintenance, servicing and repairs.

That's only a by product. The real reason is manufacturers want to be still making money out 15 and 20 year old tractors because they'll have a monopoly on service.

Looked at 04 John deere 6220 se with 4600 hours and new rossmore loader 50% tyres dealer looking for 37500 for it. Is there better value in the deere?

A 6220se will be a good farmers tractor. They are relatively straightforward compared to the premiums, but you'd probably want something better if it's a tractor you going to spend long hours in regularly. Air con was an option on se models, but not too many had it. It mightn't have an air seat either, but they are pre wired for one. 4600 hours seems very low for a tractor that age, although not impossible of course. Does it's condition reflect those kind of hours? Those Deere's could easily go around the clock and still look fresh enough. There's a small dot that flashes beside the hour reading on the dash after they've gone around. Be sure to check for it...Is it a JD dealer that's selling it? If it is, it's likely to be well checked over and prepared for sale. I don't know how much the new loader is worth, but if you subtract that, the tractor is probably close to what it's worth, if the hours are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

I have a T5.1OO remapped to 120bhp, easy to run. Decent on the road. It's a good bit heaver than a T5 with dual command. Bought it new 4 years ago, no problems yet. The electro command box is around for years, tried and tested. Good tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Modern software driver tractors can expect to have a lifespan of about 10-12 years. After that it will be creeping failure most of which will require a dealer visit to re-set the machine. As with any electronically driven item, it is only a matter of time before manufacturers withdraw software support and then you are left with an oversized paperweight.

If you buy the NH and wite off the cost over 10 years (after which it'll be close to end of life) then it is costing you around 8k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

I assume Girl Geraldine's advice comes from experience, I haven't seen too many 10 or 12 year old paper weights about yet. Stick with the 35 or the grey diesel, loads of power and no electronics 😀, or just stick with the horse, it doesn't even have an engine.

Advertisement