Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying flies, seem to be worse this summer?

Options
  • 29-07-2022 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else getting tortured by flies this summer?

Normally when I mow the grass I'd be out for about hour or so, as I do mine plus a neighbours for them.

Each year up to now I'd get the odd fly buzzing around, annoying me and landing on my face, presumably to get my sweat? I usually kept them at bay with the anti insect sprays on my arms and neck areas, plus an anti-insect hat.

However this year they seem to be on a completely different level. I am being surrounded by dozens at a time, and if it wasn't for the hat/sprays I simply wouldn't be able to cut, they are that annoying. Even when I stop to empty cuttings, there are dozens walking All over the mower.

Is it only me? Anyone else getting similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I was out walking the dogs Tuesday evening, I'd flies buzzing around my face and head for about a mile of walking. Annoying b*******! Never have them in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you find that a regular occurrence I would recommend investing in a Nosilife hat. Mine is a Craghoppers brand and it really is a life saver in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Can't say I've noticed them any worse than other years but I do find it worse around 7 in the evening. Will look into getting one, every evening having them annoying you gets tiring. Even the dogs go mad at them

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

I've been tormented by the fxxkers Im also sure that they are more plentiful they are here anyway I am hitting my face constantly trying to get some relief but they are persistent they follow me everywhere. I've noticed alot less swallows for the last couple a years I've none in my sheds this summer for the first time. They usually feast on these type of insect could have something ta do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They're always at their worst in fine July weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Really bad this year, have sheep as well and flies and sheep are a bad combination. I wouldn't risk even being a day late with treatment this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

To be honest I’m finding the opposite here this year. Before this there were years where I’d be batting flies and bees off me. This year the air is almost sterile here, far less insects overall, a but unnerving for my liking.

Advertisement