Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I have explained my stance. I have the same issue with other unfounded armchair diagnoses.

PTSD is sadly an overused term.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Well thats nuts to me , its an easy question to answer. I wouldnt have done what he did. Im not some zealous white knight tbh ,i did say it was too harsh of a punishment multiple times, you can think what you want about me , im also from a very working class area in dublin so know all about the thugs. I think we should leave it here , we have different opinions on what you should and shouldnt be able to do and thats that really.

Were you the one that said convenient for every victim? You have lost all credibility. nasty attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think it is pretty clear what happened in this case.

Him and his defence team or both thought they had a free shot.

Pleading guilty or not guilty the odds of a custodial sentence given the facts of the case were minuscule based on passed precedent.

He was going to be convicted either way, but by pleading not guilty he got to tell his side of the story and highlight that the crime was on the lower end of the spectrum and he is not a dangerous predator, and in lots of ways mission accomplished.

The Judge plainly didn't like the level of arrogance and poured water on it.

But she was clever enough to push the appeal door and not have him taking in cuffs immediately after sentence.

It wouldn't surprise me that the court of appeal reduce the sentence based on how the judge came to her decision of 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

On the one hand your saying I'm splitting hairs and in the next paragraph you are saying that whether a victim believes they were sexually assaulted depends on the weight of evidence and the testimony of both. The law was broken here but the circumstances surronding the entire encounter were not taken into account by the judge when it came to sentencing. What sentence would be given to a man who climbed into bed with a complete stranger he had never met and did as this man did? how would that mans intentions and motives be different? He would surely know that the woman does not consent given they have never met and he is forcing himself on her. Would he get 2 years for groping her breasts and stopping immediatley when she said no? This man had consensual sexual foreplay the night before it was recorded in evidence that sex was left open for the morning. He beleived she consented to what he was doing he made a split second decision to wake her with foreplay she had consented to the night before, Id imagine thats why he did not plead guilty.. that was a mistaken belief on his part, he did not pin her down or force himself on her. He was trying to wake her to have consensual sex with her this was also recorded in evidence he had no intention to rape or force himself on her there is no question of this and the evidence backs this up he immediately stopped when she told him to. Had he not touched her breasts but tapped her head and woke her up would he be charged with common assault not sexual assault?

What is clear is that no matter what people believe the law is broken everytime someone initiates sex with a sleeping partner. This happens and will continue to happen because you cant consent when you are asleep. Thats the law regardless of the testimony of either the victim or the perpetrator. He is a very unlucky man, 99/100 he ends up fooling around not getting 15 months in prison. There has not been a case reported like this before that I can remember. It sets a precedent for the future though sex and sexual encounters.

There are the men who know their victim does not consent and presumably dont care whether they do or not, their are men who break into houses with the intention of sexually assalting and raping women. These are scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m so glad to have given you something else to be outraged about.

It is an overused term.

Id actually agree with you , i do think its occasionally used spitefully. But what you said was wrong and unfair and im sure you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

i did say it was too harsh of a punishment multiple times

Well then you have to acknowledge that what he done wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. So why was the sentence so severe? The only thing we can go off is the impact statement which is why we are questioning it. Also this woman wanted him named and shamed so there is at least some malice behind her convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 56,257 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think anyone is being nasty, a bit blunt and rough in their analyses, yes, but I don't think anyone wants to come across as hurting this woman with their views on this.

Compromise is what is needed: I just cannot fathom how the impact statement ties into what we know happened in that moment, as well as what happened before and after the moment. It is just far too intense a statement from the woman for me to take/believe.

I am not saying she wasn't telling the truth. All of it could be true: But the key is, was this act/man responsible for all of it? I really find it hard to believe that this man and his act that night caused all this claimed suffering!

Is she not abusing her position of power in that case?

• Advertisement

Ok, so the prison sentence is justified because he was a stupid fool. We got ya now......

We all know he verified what happened.

That doesn't mean he then believes that he should have a conviction and possible jail term for it, and be labelled a sex offender; hence he decided that he pleads not guilty to a charge of sexual assault, because he believed that what he did was not sexual assault (in a way that was being portrayed by her and the justice system).

He was foolish, I guess for being too honest, and he has been hung badly for it. There was on need whatsoever to jail this man for this moment in time. No need.

You, like some other posters here are just far too stiff, and incapable of seeing common sense and reason.

Would you call someone who pinches someone's bum in a nightclub a fool for pleading not guilty to sexual assault, even if he admitted he pinched a bum? It's sexual assault, isn't it?

In what way?

Judges sentencing are reduced or increased all the time.

If you think she believed the defence was arrogant is it not possible she thought to teach them a lesson?

I believe the arrogance from the defence and the defendant fed into her view that he did not understand or want to admit he actually committed a crime and I have no doubt she wanted to establish precedent.

Something she is perfectly entitled to do within in the parameters of the legislation.

That said I think she "struggled" to come with 15 months and it will be successfully appealed.

he did not pin her down or force himself on her. He was trying to wake her to have consensual sex with her this was also recorded in evidence he had no intention to rape or force himself on her there is no question of this and the evidence backs this up he immediately stopped when she told him to.

He was on top of her, and you think she was not pinned down? When she woke up from her sleep and found him on top of her, what do you think she thought his intentions were? How was she to know in that moment that he would stop?

Its all very well it later being "recorded in evidence" that he wouldn't have gone further but at that moment in time, she didn't know that. And what a lot of you are overlooking, is waking up to that would be terrifying.

I don't agree this was on the minor end of the scale at all. Some people are saying its just a step above touching someone's bum, (when they are conscious) but this is way above that.

For those who are questioning the Victim Impact Statement, and the affects sexual assault can have on a person, I'll post the link I posted earlier. Her reactions are not unusual at all.

Common Reactions to Sexual Assault

And here is one specific to PTSD in Sexual Assault Victims:

Understanding PTSD after Sexual Assault

I questioned the severity of her reaction myself and I don't think the punishment fits the crime. But who am I to tell someone how they feel. Some people bounce back from trauma but others take literally years to recover, and it can come on from what seems to me is rather innocuous events. Your post is exactly why I'm telling people to look up PTSD. All the symptoms you mention and even the delayed reaction are part of it.

Fair play for being upfront in saying you don't think her claim is genuine/real. We know where we stand.

And, even if all this was real and she did suffer all this BECAUSE of this one act, does it still mean the man should be jailed?

Are we going down this road now where we lock up men for some very low level "sexual assault" cases because the plaintiff has a very detailed and traumatic impact statement?

Where is the line drawn? Man pinches bottom on a bus/niteclub......woman presses charges for sexual assault and man convicted. Impact statement lays it on very thick......jail him?

Yes by pleading not guilty. I can see why he done that though in a legal sense

Everyone is entitled to a defence, it's a basic human right.

But when I read about this case first I could not believe as soon as the book of evidence was served that a guilty plea and a signing up for a consent education course was not the advice given to the accused, accompanied by how crass as it sounds monetary compensation. He 100% would not be facing a custodial sentence right now.

Maybe it was and it was the accused who went solo, although reading some of the defence barristers mitigation, i.e they weren't blood relatives 😏 I have my doubts he just didn't hire fúcking clowns.

Either way under no circumstance should you enter an Irish Judges court room with presumptions laden in arrogance. It is the one thing guaranteed to rise them.

I am struggling with the views from some that just because he admitted to the act, that he then has to plead guilty to a charge of sexual assault, that can see him possibly jailed and labelled a sex offender

Ok, he admitted to it, but that doesn't mean he pleads guilty to sexual assault, particularly when he really believes that he never meant to harm. terrify, scare her. It was a moment in time, ill-judged act that was done and over in seconds. What man would plead guity here and face the consequences of that plea?

In other words. "Yes, I did it, but jaysus sake, lads, does this need to go to court and me jailed? We met the next day in her house to discuss and agreed to disagree. I never ever meant to hurt/harm. A court date and conviction and jail sentence??? Come on!!!"

All this a YEAR later!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Ok define on top of her? Was he lying flat on top of her or simply sitting on her legs and leaning over? Given the action described I find it hard to believe he was lying flat on top of her. If someone was lying flat on top of you face to face well then I can could possibly see why she would've got a fright. Perspective is key here

But when I read about this case first I could not believe as soon as the book of evidence was served that a guilty plea and a signing up for a consent education course was not the advice given to the accused, accompanied by how crass as it sounds monetary compensation. He 100% would not be facing a custodial sentence right now

This is agree with. I don't know who was representing him, but the fact that they let him e enter a not guilty plea, resulting in a trial, was ridiculous.

I don't need to define what "on top of her" was. He admitted to being on top of her.

He put himself in a physical position of power over her while he was awake and she was sleeping. That's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Seems to me, that in many cases, pleading guilty is a plea bargain.

Plead guilty and you get hung.

Plead innocent, but if found guilty, be burnt at the stake.

He admitted to sexual assault and you are struggling as to why he should have plead guilty to sexual assault?

The main reason was to keep him out of prison, I mean the sex offenders list is a horrible thing to be on, but your liberty is essentially all you have at the end of the day.

The law is explained clearly to the Jury, now without going down "jury nullification" myths, how on what is defined under law could they possibly return a not guilty verdict?

Unless his legal team were dangerously stupid, they know this. This trial can't change the written law, certainly not at the time of trial.

He rolled the dice, he lost, badly.

He has been beyond "unlucky", but he has contributed to his lack of luck all along the way.

But the act is sexual assault. How are you struggling with that. It is factual. He committed sexual assault.

But when I read about this case first I could not believe as soon as the book of evidence was served that a guilty plea and a signing up for a consent education course was not the advice given to the accused, accompanied by how crass as it sounds monetary compensation. He 100% would not be facing a custodial sentence right now.

But as @walshb mentioned he could have faced jail and labelled a sex offender.

You're missing my point. He said what he did, and this then saw him charged with sexual assault.

That doesn't mean he has to agree with this and plead guilty.

If this is the case, a bum pinch: If charged with sexual assault, do you say, yes, absolutely......convict me now, please?

Hold on, he admitted to sexual assault, or he said what he did? Saying what you did doesn't mean you are automatically admitting to a charge of sexual assault

Again: pinch on bum can be seen as sexual assault. Do you think it is reasonable/logical that a man will admit to sexual assault and plead guilty to sexual assault in a court for a pinch of a bum?

There is detail here that seems to be lost: He told his side. This then resulted in him being charged with sexual assault. That does not mean he admitted to sexual assault. The charge was sexual assault.

Just because you are charged with a crime, in this case, sexual assault, does not mean you have to agree with the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Depends, you'll generally be offered a bargain for pleading guilty, so if it's in my interests, sure, I'll admit to it.

In this creeps case, he was probably offered a suspended sentence and community service but either bad advice or his own ego got in the way and he decided to risk it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement