Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jesus that's awful news....was on that stretch of road yesterday evening around 7pm.

Condolences to family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

God love them, desperate, desperate news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Hearts go out to them. Horrible news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Did anyone see Bernard Flynns tweet before he edited last night? Looks like Rochford was involved in his backroom team for Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Saw that alright, thanked Rochford for the support

There is a whatsapp message going around now with four teams. Absolutely no way of knowing how genuine it is and it probably isn't. But one of the teams has Rochford backed by Mcstay and McHale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm as well to put them up here with the caveat this is a whatsapp message and I have no idea how genuine it is!

Mike Solan; Donie Buckley; Enda McGinley

Ray Dempsey; Ciaran McDonald; Paul Galvin; Terry Kennedy

Stephen Rochford; Kevin McStay; Liam McHale

Declan Shaw, Peter Forde, Tommy O'Malley.

Ray Dempsey; Ciaran McDonald; Paul Galvin; Terry Kennedy

A Knockmore, Crosmolina and Ballina man on the same ticket. Could make for fireworks!

In my opinion, the most important things for the new management team, who even they are, is to get our players practising the skills of passing and shooting more frequently. Repeated practice is what makes displays like those put in by Clifford and Walsh Sunday possible. Natural talent + Continuous Practice = Individual Performance. Too often I feel we, as in Mayo football culture, believe that natural talent gets you to team where the system takes over. When then pressure comes on then, often the skills will suffer as there is no reps to fall back on. Clifford and Walsh look effortless because of the effort they put in to practice. The time players put in on the back pitch with their mates on a Friday evening is as important as the time in the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just seeing that about Oisins brother, that's awful news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The Rochford, McStay, McHale card would lead me to believe it isn't genuine. Would McStay be happy to play second fiddle to him? Would Rochford really pick McStay and McHale... Both strong personalities and a bit of a duo, the balance of power wouldn't be what a manager would want imo. I just can't see how that trio would work in balance.

I like the look of the Dempsey card and it's more or less what I would have expected.

That's a very fair point on McStay and McHale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its like people put a bunch of names into a hat and started drawing them out.

I wouldn't believe any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Regarding Rochford, I read yesterday he would have been part of a potential Meath setup that wasnt chosen. Would he really be preparing for two jobs at once? Maybe so, but seems off to me

• Advertisement

That makes a bit more sense alright.

Unusual that Rochford seems to have settled for an assistant role these days, you would think that he would want another crack at the top job, but maybe that role suits him better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there a list going round of people NOT linked to the Mayo job? 😅

Hopefully it's confirmed one way or the other soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’d be absolutely delighted if that comes to pass

I wonder if the inclusion of McHale will cause a stirr.

Remember back in 2015 it was the players who did not want McHale involved.

But that's 7 years ago, a lot of them are retired, the new guys may well not have the same opinions.

I think at the time there was a fear that McHale would be a step down from the likes of Buckley who was with Horan for the first term.

McHale being a "laps of the pitch" guy in the Maughan mold from the 1990s and 2000s.

I like McStay as a pundit, both on RTE and the podcast.

But how good a manager would he be?

Can we learn anything from his Roscommon tenure, seeing as it was Roscommon after all?

• Advertisement

It would be a big boost to the older players like Keegan in my opinion . I hope he makes

Him captain 

Mcstay is surely highly regarded and respected. He is the front man 

Rochford will be the brains behind the scene . He surely has to have their respect 

Buckley. No need to say anything . Highly respected .

Mulligan - win intermediate with Belmullet . North Mayo representative. Very smart move by Mcstay .

McHale - he apparently isn’t liked by all the players. But maybe that’s a good thing …….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

McStay would be a good choice, did well with Roscommon. Will that suspension he got at the end of his Roscommon term carry over or is that gone now?

I didn't see Buckley when I read the article first.

Too busy trying to type my anti-McHale rant :)

But yeah, Rochford and Buckley on the same ticket, that's good, McHale would only be window dressing in that case.

What I noticed was missing from Mayo recently was that really tough, hard agressive tackling that we were used to in previous years.

That hard edge that I believe I saw the best of in the 2016 final, where every time a Dublin player got the ball there was a Mayo man there to knock him on his ass.

That was Buckley's work, we need that back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Surprising to hear McHale would be considered a laps of the field type of coach. He hasn't been on anything I listen to in a long time but do recall interviews on podcasts and things where he would have talked about GAA coaching which reference to basketball methods. Always like to see guys who are big into US sports on any coaching ticket as I feel most of the training & development innovation comes out of those sports. I would have thought McHale would have his finger on the pulse that way.

You have to hope that guys who show a long term desire to be involved are the type of guys who are open to learning as the years go by. There's the famous passage from Donaghy's book about Jack O'Connor dismissing the idea of scenario type training (again, came from basketball I think) and we ended up losing a final from four points up with a few minutes left while Dublin had drilled for that exact scenario. Fast forward ten years and it seems Jack has become much more open to whatever the latest and greatest methods in coaching are.

McStay strikes me as having the humility and reflection to keep learning, you would think that himself and McHale wouldn't still be knocking around together all this time if McHale wasn't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hard to know if the mcstay ticket would be a good move. Rochford has already managed most of these lads and buckley has coached them. Would that familiarity be an issue for mcstay to manage the team?

Also, he is a bit too nice to my mind. We dont need another manager talking about how good a group these lads are and how lucky we are to have them. We need someone to be a bit more cold and calculated with them I feel.

I like the idea of paul galvin being involved personally. He has flagged our insistance of soloing the ball for the sake of it, instead of getting it to the forward early from a long way back.

McHale probably gets too hard of a time or too little credit. He's a (very) confident guy and that just doesn't sit well with many. I'd be guilty of dismissing him a bit myself.

On your last point, McStay and McHale are brother's in law, there's a fairly strong bond there outside of football.

McHale was involved with Maughan in 2004 and Maughan was very much a laps of the field guy.

My beef with him comes from an Off The Ball (the original Off The Ball) interview he did after Mayo's 2006 loss to Kerry.

He was very critical of the management that night.

My thoughts were "you were in the same position yourself two years earlier and you did just as bad, you are in no position to criticize the current management "

I also think that the fact that the players were against him in 2014 is telling.

Theses were the new Mayo who had spent the last 4 seasons bringing Mayo from being a laughing stock to serious consistent competitors.

They wanted no part of McHale.

They knew it would be a regressive step.

Rochford left in 2018, there has been a fair bit of turnover since then.

True, but a few high profile ones are still knocking around! Id like a fresh set of eyes personally, be it old allegiances or old gripes from not getting jobs previously - none of that stuff is positive I feel.

You would wonder how nobody from outside the county seems to be getting a mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Doesn't look like he'd be doing much coaching in that line up anyway, I suppose he's McStay's confidante now more than anything. I think it's a pretty good ticket overall. Definitely agree with you about the decline in tackling intensity in the forwards. Mayo at their best thrived on turnovers high up the field from workrate of the likes of COC & Doherty. I think if you could get that back and have the hard running from deep as a secondary avenue of attack in more structured play you would have the outline of a really good gameplan that suits the players available. ROD seems made for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Pretty sneaky of mcstay to leak his (pretty star studded) team like that. Clearly designed to put the pressure on just a day before nominations close, not really the right way to do it imo. I guess he feels like he was burned back in 2014 in an unfair way

Hard to fault his backroom team though, will be interesting to see what the other nominations are comprised of

Hard to blame him. The more things are out in the open the better. If you dont have a cloak you cant use the dagger

Over on the football championship thread there is a Meath poster called Sonny something or other who posts huge long posts.

Anyway in the middle of one a few days ago he mentioned Buckley being part of O'Rourke's Meath setup.

If that is true then it's either aspirational from O'Rourke or McStay or from both of them to be including Buckley in their plans.

In fairness, putting it out in the public domain is the opposite of sneaky!!!! Its the behind closed doors stuff that and letting rumours out here and there thats the sneaky approach?

No doubt a calculated move all the same but I can't see how it could be classed as sneaky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

A lot of cooks in the kitchen in that backroom team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Well it's a leak to the media rather than an official announcement by him AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

With such a big backroom team plus mcstay how will they pay for it?

Said the same thing today, McStay is a good PR man, everyone is talking about the great backroom team

Cute more than sneaky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Cute move alright but it might not play well with influential people and fwiw id prefer things to stay behind closed doors, we don't need this appointment process becoming a media circus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

Wasn't this allegedly his down fall last time, wanted to be compensated for giving up media duties and have McHale as a full time coach employed by mayo gaa. Is this still the ask as well as team building weekends away and a star studded coaching ticket who are not getting involved for the love of mayo only ? Personally, I don't think he the one but if he gets a shot at it then fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

You'd want to out of your mind to ask <snip> for a cent. The stuff he posts on twitter is real bottom of the barrel stuff.

Despite whether the people he's targeting deserve scrutiny or not, the vulgar and personalised way he does it is classless and something he should be ashamed of.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

Like he has done already?

Absolute nothing man,

Tipping 50 and shouting like a teenager on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Next management ticket has hit the papers:

Mike Solan

Aidan O’Rourke

Eamon O’Hara

Alan Murphy

Mark Ronaldson

No comparison between the two management teams .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mayo GAA will be worried about these huge backroom teams and the expenses required. Considering we have an unknown amount of debt left to pay on McHale Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Well they'll be in a worse position if they go for a cheap option that doesn't know what it's at and the crowds dwindle away and we don't make it to croker regularly - where will the revenue come from then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No county gaa gets revenue from days out in Croke Park.

No but a successful team generates more interest in county raffles , fundraisers etc etc

Success breeds success and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

They do get a slice of any gate receipts and raffling off tickets for an All Ireland final is a huge money spinner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement