Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

Could be something like the old Morris Minor. Front wheels used to collapse inwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You mean Toyota who are/were actively doing all they can to prevent & slow the move to EV’s?

the day Toyota go to the wall, I shall be one of the first to toast it with a bottle of bubbly….. (and I say that as someone who has bought/driven many Toyota’s over the years…..)

Good riddance to them.

Fingers crossed the bz4xr3ï debacle turns some of the die hard fan boi’s off them for good…..

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Is the rumour to be believed that the cars will be re returned to Japan and scrapped as there is a major design fault and they can’t fix them. …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The first link is from someone who thinks a Toyota pamphlet is propaganda against EVS because it does not mention them mainly because I imagine they did not make a BEV, well that's my conclusion maybe they should sell tesla cars in their pamphlets,

The pamphlet mentions worker protective clothing, solar panels on a factory roof and some sort of specially painted factory, water treatment, and fish swimming in the cleaned water,

the writer thinks '' It is well-known in the Japanese car industry that their record profit business model is based on the sweat and tears of hundreds of small underpaid parts manufacturers in the country '' I don't know if that is true but 0.5kg of oranges costs 15 euro,

Hard to believe in the price of oranges and the slave labour conditions in the country.

'' Now here’s where the story turns even more sour. In December 2020, the Japanese government announced the ban of gasoline-powered cars by 2030. The backlash from JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association), which is headed by none other than M. Toyoda himself, was immediate. The government later retracted its statement and now aims for a mix of gasoline/hybrids, EV, and fuel cell vehicles by 2035. Gasoline hybrids (HEV) and plug-in hybrids (PHEV) are very much powered by fossil fuels and therefore not carbon neutral by any means. But hybrid vehicles are the most complex vehicles with up to over 30,000 parts that need to be built and maintained.''

Its much the same in Europe? 2035

30000 parts? Good job we have 1 battery pack in a model S, ''The P85 pack contains 7,104 lithium-ion battery cells in 16 modules wired in series (14 in the flat section and two stacked on the front'' and here https://www.google.com/search?q=number+of+parts+in+a+lithium+battery+cell&rlz=1C1VDKB_enIE933IE933&oq=number+of+parts+in+a+lithium+battery+cell&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546l2.20240j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I smell Bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

I saw a post about that on the BZ Forums website that it's "rumoured" that they actually can't fix the wheel issue at all and that all BZ4X and Solterras made to-date may have to be returned to Japan for scrapping... but look, it's a rumour and we'll see what happens when they announce something next week hopefully as they can't keep radio silence forever. The radio silence itself is a sign it's something bad and Toyota know it's bad and It's like they're saying to themselves, F**K!!! How are we going to tell all our customer this can't be fixed?

But... I'm still optimistic that I'll be sitting in mine within the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

2nd link.

''Toyota has also begun to wage a campaign of FUD—fear, uncertainty, and doubt—to cast EVs as unreliable and undesirable. "If we are to make dramatic progress in electrification, it will require overcoming tremendous challenges, including refueling infrastructure, battery availability, consumer acceptance, and affordability," Robert Wimmer, director of energy and environmental research at Toyota Motor North America, told the Senate in March.''

''While such FUD may have worked in the past when EVs were expensive and charging networks were sparse, it's less effective today and will probably be moot in a few years. Consumers aren't fooled, either. According to recent surveys, somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of consumers say their next purchase will be an EV. Some are following through with their decision sooner than later—plug-in vehicle sales in the US have more than doubled over the last year, compared with just 29 percent growth for the rest of the market.''

Toyota should burn in hell for making such obvious statements, it cost tesla 1.5 million to install 8 chargers in some hotel last month.

I would prefer to see numbers, double is easy to figure out,for example 100000 cars are now 200000 cars, and 29 % percent growth is fcuking brilliant on how many millions of a mature market but that's only FUD.

'' Toyota has been lobbying governments to water-down emissions standards or oppose fossil-fuel vehicle phaseouts, according to a New York Times report. In the last four years, Toyota's political contributions to US politicians and PACs have more than doubled. Those contributions have gotten the company into hot water, too. By donating to congresspeople who oppose tighter emissions limits, the company funded lawmakers who objected to certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election. Though Toyota had promised to stop doing so in January, it was caught making donations to the controversial legislators as recently as last month.''

According to the article source, Toyota gave a tad more to Democrats than to the evil Republicans. Why mention the presidential election?

I am going to give up for now as entertaining as this is, bizarre and irrational indeed.

3rd link.

I am sorry but I am confused.

''But that argument might carry more weight if the automaker’s track record on fuel economy was actually, well, good. According to the EPA, Toyota has slipped in its ranking in fuel efficiency across its entire fleet, going from an industry leader to near the bottom with GM and Ford. This comes as the company has pushed the sale of huge gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs, which tend to command a larger profit than smaller sedans and hatchbacks.''

I opened the EPA link and it said this, ''Between model years 2015 and 2020, Toyota achieved the largest reduction in CO2 emissions, at 27 g/mi. Toyota decreased emissions in all vehicle types, and their mix of vehicle types produced in model years 2015 and 2020 was similar.''

Which is it?

I mean someone could wish for a company to collapse and another asks why and then gets some proof and then when you actually go past the headline it says something else,

I must be wrong, I have changed my mind, I wish complete and utter misery on a whole country, a company its workforce their families, I too shall open a bottle and toast to the death of my fcuking brain.

Next link

Big black writing, scary woahaaaa.

Back-room deals to sabotage e-mobility

''The New York Times reports that Chris Reynolds, a Toyota senior executive, recently traveled to Washington for closed-door meetings with congressional staff members, in which he emphasized his company’s opposition to the Biden administration’s proposed measures to promote EVs, arguing that hybrids and hydrogen vehicles should play a bigger role in the transition.''

Not unrealistic in all fairness. I am selling this, maybe it can help, or is it acceptable that a rep sells the competitors goods.

''Toyota’s lobbying effort in Washington is part of a worldwide strategy of opposing stricter emissions standards and EV mandates. Executives at Toyota’s Indian subsidiary publicly criticized India’s target for 100 percent EVs by 2030''

LMFAO. Its possible, the criticism is hardly unjustified.

''The company sued the Mexican government over fuel efficiency rules'' it says that, I think, given that's the only information, Toyota must be run by paedo's as well.

A fuel cell fiasco

The climate benefits of fuel cells are predicated on the future availability of green hydrogen,

That says it all really, they backed the wrong horse, batteries have shown a downward trend, but are they making the ideal battery now? cobalt was a choice, now is iron, will it be solid state?, should the companies that made cobalt and iron-containing batteries be so irrationally treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

People have too much time but they dont have time to do their homework so it is just way easier to hate, especially if there is something in your life you are unhappy with. Its like quick pain relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Scrapping would seem extreme and youd think it should be possible to develop new parts for retrofit to existing and future cars.

Problem for Toyota is that this isn't an issue that's down to the car being an EV.

So it will have wider non EV implications for their wider reputation - if there is no fix.

• Advertisement

This auto express test came out this week

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-group-tests/358471/toyota-bz4x-vs-volkswagen-id4-vs-hyundai-ioniq-5-2022-group-test-review

What's the typical lag time from a magazine doing the actual test and it being put out officially for people to read it.

They don't even mention the recall - but yet its a month since the recall.

Were they allowed drive a bz4x AFTER the recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

The article appeared in the July 13th issue. I'd say the test was done somewhere in June.

Probably around the same time as the youtubers reviews. I skimmed read the article and does not have any personal touch it is like reading the spec sheet. Sorry I lie there is a note "AC will slash 50 miles in a hot day" (that is the range of an old Leaf). Worth mentioning that the print issue has a double page ad for a self something C-HR and the previous one the same double page ad for Supra 2.0. Poor form not to add a note about the recall though.

Mat Watson on Carwow has done two video's on the BZ4X since the recall - first one was a general review and the 2nd one was a BZ4X vs EV6 comparision - how did he get to drive the BZ4X twice since the recall? 🤷‍♀️

Post edited by HTCJoeSoap on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Probably filmed both items back to back before the recall and then had a date he couldn't publish anything before.

That was my thinking with the auto express piece.

Was hoping there was some fix done on the QT that allowed some cars be driven.

But doesn't sound like that's the case 😥😥😥

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Received an email from my dealership to say Nov/Dec delivery but subject to change…..worth waiting for but !!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

Just received from Toyota:

As a result, the production date for your new Toyota bZ4X has been delayed and the vehicle is now unlikely to arrive in Ireland until November-December 2022 but this date is subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MarkK1986

I'm assuming yours is not built yet? When did you order? I got a mail saying mine was built but still no timelines on the fix. Assuming they have a fix in place and yours is Nov/Dec, I'm hoping mine will be here in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

Got the same email even though I pulled my deposit 3 weeks ago. Car is built but no delivery date. So long I guess. Happy with the ID4 anyway.

I haven't received any email yet, but I'll follow up with my dealer tomorrow, but in my opinion there's no point in buying a car that close to Christmas especially when they'll be making them with the 11kw on-board charger from Q4 onwards so it might be worth holding out till January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

Ordered in June.

The local Toyota dealer advised the date would be late August /early September. In this time Toyota website was still advertising the car as available from June.

Annoying is the way it is justified (due to Covid 19), as if this is only happening now. They're probably aware of delays for a long time but just breaking the news in increments.

I'm actually in Romania at present and I saw the car displayed in a shopping centre, as opposed to Ireland, where I do not believe we have a single unit to look at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Late into this thread, can't believe what's going on here, whatever story Toyota are spinning I don't believe it, there is more going on they are not disclosing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Few loose nuts would be a simple fix.

No way they would leave millions worth of stock unsold if it was this simple.

There will no doubt be an update to say it's more serious than initially commented upon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, I see this in work places the whole time, some yarn been spun to me and I call BS, 9/10 it's folk running scared and afraid to cough up.

Stupid AIB wanting to go cashless, got destroyed in the media for it, reversed it and then apologised saying they got it wrong, fair dues, mistake made, own up and move on.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I've been giving this a more thought and makes sense that the issue is something like too weak a wheel hub that can fracture on impact with a pothole or a jump and detach from the car with the wheel as one unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

bz4x is similar in size and price to RAV4 which is the best selling SUV in USA. So one can imagine the impact that this car can cause in the US markets. It can be a Tesla killer. Now Musk is the world's richest person and Tesla shares are of very high value. US Congress offcials have called Toyota's senior offcial and held discussions. So the aftermath is, this car will not be delivered in the near future. Indefinite waiting. I saw two tyaxi drivers few weeks ago in Dublin and they also sais they have booked the car. That means if the car comes into the market, Irish roads will be filled with bz4x. It willbe disastrous to other car companies. Now Toyota is selling the most cars in Ireland and also globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Don't get get me wrong, I'm not knocking the car, more the b's being spun out. it looks Iike a fine car and it will sell well. Most who buy it won't think too much about it as it's a "good" brand.

Every car is touted as a Tesla killer until the next Tesla killer comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think we can safely say that the bz4x will not be a Tesla killer…. It’s in a completely different league..

in reality it’s target market will be up against the ID.4, Ioniq5, EV6 etc….. but even against those it’s already lacking in tech, performance & range, and it’s biggest downfall is they are all shipping and being driven by happy owners, so it’s already behind the curve….. the only reason it’ll be pitched against those cars is because of its price….

the reality is it’ll be up against the much cheaper MG offerings based on performance & tech..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

i think the number of vehicles the vw group has is likely to take over from telsa in the next year or so.. add up vws, skoda, seat, audi, porsche etc and they have a lot on offer.. the ID range in particular seems to be on the road a lot.. i see more id3/4 on the motorways / areas around dublin that anything else.. id love a tesla model s... but its way out of budget and the id4 to me beats the model 3 for family practicality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You need to lay off the Toyota kool-aid/fanboy stuff and conspiracy theories.

If the car comes onto the Irish market in large numbers it will sell well but will not be disastrous for any other manufacturers or be a Tesla killer.... nonsense talk. It will sell happily alongside all the others and people will buy what suits them, the same as it is today.

Advertisement