Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very late i know but back in February on a cold frosty morning i was deliberately knocked off my MTB.

Ill try to explain - i ride a regular route on the back road between Portarlington and Monasterevin via treskin area to avoid busy roads.

Its a flat route apart from a section which has short but sharp drag and twisty road where i heard a vehicle behind me as i hit this drag .

He started over revving aggressively to basically get me to hurry up and get out of the way, i decided to give it a right effort to get this drag over with and get out of his way.

Once over the drag i continued to cycle on, at this stage the driver was shouting F-ing cyclists F-ing this this and that out the passenger window, next thing i know he hit me from the side and im heading towards the ditch.

Somehow managed to turn my head away from a rather substantial looking tree trunk i was speeding towards but i took the brunt of it in the chest.

While on my knees in the ditch my first reaction was to get up and my gloves off so as to operate my phone to get a photo of the reg of this 4x4 pickup a but he got round the next bend before i could.

Its was then i was hit with intense dizziness at first then pain, i decided to cycle the final 4km home as slow as possible but i could feel movement in the chest and hear a clicking noise [it was a really horrible sensation, i literally thought i was breaking in half such is the crazy thoughts flying around my head] i knew i was in trouble but i had to get home i was freezing cold at this stage and i knew i was getting some form of shock.

Net result was a broken sternum but sweet Lord this was the worst pain ive ever experienced, ive had my fair share of injuries in the past ,double compound fracture of the leg and ankle [work accident] broken ribs twice [once off road bike @ Westportiv and the other a double rib break off the mountain bike on a trail [needless to say i avoid technical trails now :P] but none compare to the broken sternum :(

Even so much as a light snuffle of the nose was agony but i had to clear my airways 3 times a day via forced cough so as to avoid infection or worse.

Pure agony is the best i can do to explain the pain, i was worried sick i would get covid on top of it as i tried to recover as i can only imagine a proper cough or chest infection on top of this.

I had to sit for weeks at the kitchen table up right with a pillow between the table and my chest, no sitting on a couch and bed was a complete nightmare.

Meds were amazing when i didnt need to move or clear airways, no amount of meds could stop that pain,i never realized how often we clear our airways.

Sitting at that table with no evidence no reg nothing and this guy is getting off scott free i can tell you its enough to drive anyone to despair and depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

That is horrendous. What the hell is wrong with these people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you report it to the gardai? if you had a description of the car they might be able to do something - he may already be known to gardai, if that's the sort of person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Two months ago, put my foot down and there was just air not tarmac, so fell lightly to the left at a junction. The first time was some years ago when an old woman pulled out in front of the Walmart bike (my brother brought it home from the US on the plane, looked okay but was terrible) exiting a petrol station. I braked and the brakes locked up and was thrown off. The old woman kept saying she had her indicator one therefore she had right of way. I was a bit out of it from the fall, so I ignored both her and someone who offered to be a witness. I hope the old bat is off the roads. She was one of those with no glasses who crane their necks to the windscreen. That was some years ago, probably five years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah reported it over the phone as I literally couldn't move, heard nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I broke my sternum when I t boned a car at speed maybe 8 years ago, it was truly awful. I also broke my neck and my shoulder and a few ribs but the pain in the center of my chest was next level. My chest was black with a bruise. It must of been some thump u got, thats a big bone, the doctors said usually when that bone breaks its usually a very severe car or motorbike accident. Little consolation but you should feel lucky you probably didn't land on your back first or your head. Hope u feel better by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ultimate embarrassing fall. Stationary, left foot on a bench, right foot still clipped in. Toppled over on my right side, landed pretty hard. Thought I was ok, bloody knee but kept moving. Elbow pretty sore now. Ended up bike on top of me, must have looked ridiculous to the 2 kindly passing by cars that slowed to ask if I was ok. At that stage it was just my pride hurt. Mortified. Never happened before. Always clip both feet out when stopped is my new motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

new forest near ringwood, hacking round the mtb trails there. front wheel went flat in about a second. came off and a peice of flint made a nice slice in my kneecap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Today. I was waiting behind a bus a bit before fagans in drumcondra resting against a rail. No traffic and it seemed to be taking forever so I go around I though. Then I saw a car coming and went to unclip but just went down. Couple of cuts below knee. Was bussing in tomorrow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Out for a Gravel Spin on Saturday - off a couple of times on back roads and black ice. Both pretty slow motion, so not damage to me or the bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭devonp

today on my commute into work, corner of Trinity st and St Andrews st just came around the corner slowly and down i went ... must have been oil/slick road surprised as i know that corner very well and had my cold weather 38c tyres on, ...anyway bruised and bloodied knee, some skin stuck to the inside of my tights but no damage to the bike or the clothes !! might be a bit sore cycling home this evening 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I came off over 2 weeks ago on 3rd roundabout in the Phoenix Park (Park Gate St end). It was a frosty but dry morning at about 06:30 and roads hadn't been too bad until then so somewhat taken by surprise even though I took the roundabout pretty carefully and straight on. Road was lethal and no traction at all, bike went straight from under me. Motorist behind got out to check I was ok, gathered myself and bike to the footpath and as I was trying to straighten out my chain another cyclist came behind and did the exact same. We both took a right wallop, I had a bruised/cut cheek which quickly healed buy my left thumb and right wrist still aren't 100%.

Even trying to get going again the back wheel was spinning thanks to the OPW neglecting to spread any salt/grit in frosty weather. A few weeks prior to Christmas when we had frosty weather and a touch of snow the park was lethal also requiring cyclists stick to the car tracks on the road. Will have to rethink the Phoenix Park altogether anytime in future when there's frost but the alternatives of the Navan & South Circular Road or Chapelizod are pretty unpleasant for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

I came off over a week ago. Front tyre went from under me. Must have been oil or grease on the road. Broke my wrist unfortunately so off the bike for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Exact same for me today, fortunately I've only battered my little finger into a slightly swollen purple mess. Gave my head a clobber too but the helmet took the brunt.

I slid along the road and got away without anything else getting damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Came of bike last week at 04.30am as i freewheeled onto north quays after going over O'Donovan Rossa bridge, front wheel lost grip, road was Slippy, smashed my phone in my jacket and ribs, shoulder, knee and thumb got a right bashing. Bike survived few scratches etc, roads lately are lethal a good shower of rain is needed to wash all the crap away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Head over heels on my MTB as I pretended to be Danny MacAskill a fortnight ago. No physical harm but my ego was bruised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jorge Jorgesson

I have not fell since 10+ years, although I have not been on the bike as much as I was then.

I have been only commuting to work since, a short 20 minute easy run.

I have recently started back road cycling and I was shocked by the disappearance of any descending courage that I had in my twenties.

I was on the brakes the entirety of a descent from Shay Elliot. I had to get off the bike 20 yards from approaching the crossroads at the bottom.

I think my nerves will cause the next fall tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was out this afternoon for a 50km spin which turned into 70 which became 103kms. At the 100km mark, it had been raining, I was tired and I just wanted a moment so pulled alongside a the entrance to a field (here).

Left foot unclipped and on the ground, I went to unclip my right foot and whatever I did, I didn't unclip it but managed to move my weight to the right and can remember falling over and thinking about protecting the bike. In the end the palm of my right hand and my right knee took the brunt of the fall but thankfully mitts and bib tights are ok. Knee and palm are sore now but thankfully the bike is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Exactly a year ago today in Mallorca. After a long spin with some fairly hectic descents we decided to pull into a Shop to grab a can of coke. 4km from home. Coming out of the car park I had to do a tight turn and the front wheel slid on a metal grate. Went down hard on my left side and ended up with an upper arm fracture. Nearly 3 months off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Finished work at 1100 AM Tuesday decided to spin the leg after 3 weeks off due to holidays and Suspected Covid.

Coming down from Sandyford, turned right at the Goat pub, I was only just around the corner when my chain snapped (shouldn't really have, only around a thousand km.on it)

I fixed it and decided to go the shorter way home through Clonskeagh.

Directly outside Clonskeagh motors I didn't notice an unfinished rise and fought with the handlebars for 4/5 seconds but still managed to fall down.

An amount of road rash on the left leg and hip ~ 4 broken ribs, broken collar bone, and a fractured skull.

Helmet shattered, I'm not going to extol the virtues of lids, I know there are varying beliefs about them, but I'm glad I had mine on.

I sit now in St. James' Hospitsl looking out at the lovely weather, missing the long weekend, but thankful to be here.

Never got to check the bike over properly, but at a quick glance it was grand.

To the Gentlemen who were fitting a sign at Clonskeagh Motors, and gave me a lift to Walkinstown ~ you have my unending gratitude. I will find you and reward you somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christ, that's a bad one. get well soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry to hear it. Was this on the bike lane, on the Motors side or across the road? Might be worth reporting it to the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Darrener

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

Speedy recovery Wheelo, that's seriously bad luck, such an innocuous accident. As you say "glad to be here" is the pertinent part of your account. Take care and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery 🙏

i hope he was wearing hi vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Does a bright orange Jersey, fluoro yellow helmet and shoes count?

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

Nah. Unless you were wearing a builders vest, you're 100% to blame. The path never saw you. I'd say you just came out of nowhere...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

Vague thoughts of entering the top ten on a segment along here, combined with not really knowing where the segment ended, caused me to come a cropper when I attempted to skirt around this gate carrying too much speed...

As it turns out, the reason why I was unsure where the segment ended is because this is actually the start of it, and it runs in the opposite direction to the way I was going 😂.

I'm tempted to create section covering what I did, just to see how I got on...

Advertisement