Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

You do not need a smart meter plan if you have a smart meter. Our smart meter is still on a standard 24 hr plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you've been on a smart plan, can you go back to standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are people with smart meters finding their electricity usage seems to be greater than when they had their standard ye olde electricity non smart meter?

I'm hearing a few people saying their consumption seems to be up month on month with last year and previous years since they've got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi All,

Been out if contract a a few months now.

We have an urban smart meter and we are dual fuel.

Bonkers is suggesting SSE as the best provider.

Has anyone had issues with SSE?

Using Bonkers to they manage the swtich over or do I have to cancel EI?

Any issues/things to be aware of when switching?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

Maybe not the biggest issue but we switched recently and have been told that we'll be billed for both gas and electricity at the same time every two months whereas Bord Gais used to bill me one per month on alternative months. Just one to be aware of but could be standard practice in the market. It's the same amount of momey ultimately but the double Bill at the height of the cold season will be a big one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

Good to know. Aside from that are you finding overall price cheaper given the quoted rate on bonkers even tho the bill itself is larger combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

I've only just signed up myself so haven't got a bill yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cant comment through experience but I'll be avoiding these smart rates for as long as possible. I dont like the idea of paying more for electricity between 5 and 7pm as thats when Im cooking dinner and I might be using the oven and hobs for an hour or more.

For those who dont cook during that time or that arent even home between 5 and 7 then it should work out cheaper overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

A mate of mine from school works with the ESB down the country. He's told me that everyone he works with is avoiding getting one, that those who did reported increased usage, some up to 30%. No reason to doubt him, I know him years and he's not a spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m able to switch now from bird Gais if I want. Just put in the basic info but it calculated out a national average annual savings of 900e from my current provider (joint move).

So when rates go up , my new rates will still be better then the rates I get now with bord gais? (Ie the proportional increase in cost is still better then remaining where I am?).

Also is there anything else worth looking out for as I’m not overly familiar with the comparison markets. Usually use bonkers or switcher.ie and they appear to say use airtricity. A lad called to the door (I don’t like signing up to anything at door) and said the same thing so I presume it’s the same offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ClmAlfie

Have been on Energia retention plan at 41% till now. Have noticed Energia is not on Bonkers. Rang Energia and asked about the retention plan of 41%. Was told it's 25% instead of 41%. They don't have it anymore. I asked can they do better than that as an another supplier has 33%. They said no, just 25%. Guess I'll have to change to another supplier.

I'm sure I won't be the only one and they will lose more customers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If what was replaced was a very old mechanical meter, the meter was likely under reading significantly due to worn springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check the unit rates and standing charge. 33% off a higher rate can be worse.

Don't ever just go by % as they're not all % off the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, ours was replaced last year and it's definitely coincided with an increase in usage. As someone above said, it's likely the old meter was under-reading but it's still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

When you sign up for a 12 month contract and it says 33% discount, etc. Are the rates at the time of signing up fixed for the 12 months or just the discount from their standard rates? So if they put up the standard rate during the 12 months, your rate will go up too (with the 33% off)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's a variable rate, not fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Discount is fixed amount but unit cost and fixed charges can increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I switched from Energia yesterday, same boat as yourself. Went with Airtricity 33%. Their standard night rate was much the same as Energia but day rate 5c cheaper so decent enough with the 33% off that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

2.5c cheaper for urban nightsaver meter. Suggested savings of €492 for the year so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

What was the annual standing charge with Energia & what is it with Airtricity?

Was that cheaper overall for your usage than their e250 credit offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

It is not very easy to figure out what last year's actual switch date is ? I have looked through emails and it seems I signed up on 16 July but my first bill with Airtricity seemed to have run 5th of August till 26th.. Does it really take 3 weeks to actually switch ?

Anyway - on the switcher sites Bord Gais now comes up as cheapest for me with unit rates that are about 5% lower than the second best - Electric Ireland.

But...

Electric Ireland prices are as of 1 Aug, they recently increased their prices , whilst BG prices are as of 1 May- when they last increased their price ( and EI also had an increase 1 May)

So one could hazard a guess that BG will have another imminent rise in the cards - of probably a bit more than 5% or ?

These price hikes really make this infuriating yearly exercise even more difficult..

'Anyway - on the switcher sites BG now comes up as cheapest for me with unit rates that are about 5% lower than the second best - EI.'

You need to look at the overall package, not just unit rates. That includes the standing charge & any cashback

ah balls my Energia contract is up soon and I was hoping to just ring up and retain the 41% discount like a poster here did around a month ago. Will have to go deal hunting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I think it depends what department you get on the phone. The new customer/sales people seem to have more discretion than the general customer service people. The likes of EI don't seem overly bothered with losing customers once the 12 months is up while SSE and Energia seem more interested with retaining customers. Maybe the fact that many EI customers have never switched or questioned the rate they are on is the reason for this.

Thanks, I'll try giving the sales line a ring rather than the general customer service. Would prefer not switch but only if they let me retain the 41% discount off the standard rate. I had a look at Bonkers and I can get SSE Airtricity for around about what Im paying now on the discounted Energia rate. Only problem is both Energia & Airtricity are likely to jack up their rates soon as their last increase was April/May respectively. At least it looks like the Govt. will be lobbing us a further 200 euro off our bills in October so that will take the sting out of it somewhat.

Have noticed standing charges across the board have gone bonkers. 280 a year is now considered cheap with some companies charging just shy of 400 a year. Two years back my standing charge was 128 for the year with Glow Power. Would love to see an explanation from the Energy Regulator as to why standing charges have more than doubled in the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

This is electricity market share from 2020. Switch away people!

Advertisement