Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

And I worked 37.5 hours. As did the entire department.

I'm on leave and no one is calling/texting/mailing.

It's a doddle compared to my old equivalent private role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I won't contradict you there.

I don't agree with excessive hours, but in the early stages of your career, going the extra can help in future.

I was more talking about minutes watchers. Grand at their job, reliable, but jaysus. Never going to go anywhere. Which is fine.

I'm out the door at 16:30 every day. Sure I've done 100hour weeks in an absolute crippling emergency but it'll never be common or expected. I've done OK for myself.

"Going extra" is damaging, long term, and not near beneficial enough to career.

Do your job professionally and competently. Be available for emergencies when it hits the fan but get your work/life balance sorted.

Your mental health is far more valuable and longer hours comes with rapidly decreasing efficiency

I'm shocked at the sheer begrudging and ladder pulling evident in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I actually agree with the last two post.

I'm quite envious of people who can shut that work door. And I'm really being honest.

It's probably a flaw in my work ethic. I'm being honest here. For example: a new project comes in and the start of it looks really messy and horrible. I'll tend to do that manky stuff and then hand it over.

I call it my mammy mode. I do believe my colleagues can handle it. I have every faith in them. It's a flaw on my side. But! Senior management see my efforts. I'm not consciously thinking of that.

So for me to become better, I should let them deal with manky stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

Taking your own example consider two employees:

Employee A: Earns 30k per year

Employee B: Earns 60k per year (i.e. double Employee A)

Scenario: Both are given a 1k increase every year for 100 years.*

After 100 years, Employee A is on 130k and Employee B is on 160k i.e. they have maintained the 30k gap. Hence, you are valuing Employee B as approximately 23% more valuable than Employee A. While Employee B has maintained the 30k gap, the value of that gap has diminished over the 100 years. The additional workload and responsibilities of Employee B are valued as less and less each year. Assuming inflation has an effect, the 30k is also worth less after 100 years.

Consider the second scenario:

Scenario: Both are given a 1% pay increase every year. After 100 years, Employee A is on 80k and Employee B is on 160k i.e. you have maintained the ratio by applying a percentage pay increase year on year. Employee B is valued as twice as important as Employee A.

While applying a fixed increase across all pay scales seems like a fair and reasonable argument on paper. It is flawed. In the vast majority of cases, the cost of living for Employee B will be far higher than that of Employee A. This can be as simple as a more expensive house and mortgage, a more expensive car and loan, or buying Uncle Bens rice over Tesco Value. Hence, a 10% rise in inflation does not affect all workers equally. The ECB have raised interest rates by 0.5%, this will proportionally affect all workers equally (in theory). Hence, wages should also increase proportionally due to inflation and not by a set amount. A percentage increase maintains the gap, it doesn't increase or decrease it.

Should the floor be raise and the ceiling lowered? Yes, I think the wealth gap should be reduced but that is a completely different argument for a different thread.

*Ignore the fact that both workers would be long dead. Consider their rate of pay for the role. Also ignore and steps on the ladder, promotion etc. The scenario is really comparing the evolution of pay of Point 1 on Scale A and Point 1 on Scale B.

• Advertisement

Any cost of living increase drastically affects lower earners.

Far more, if not all, their income is spent of essential purchases.

I get an 8k increase and I have extra savings or more disposable cash.

They get to survive inflationary pressure

If inflation is 10% and everyone gets a 10% pay rise, everybody is in the same boat as before. If inflation is 10% and everyone gets a 1k pay rise, everybody is in a different boat than before.

I agree it is more nuanced than the black and white argument I make above. Percentage pay increases make far more sense than fixed amounts and, for the reasons outlined above, we do it that way. The argument above demonstrates why a fixed amount increase makes no sense.

It is also being ignored that if I get a 10% pay increase, I pay the higher rate of tax on that. If someone on the lower end gets a pay increase, they are only paying the lower rate of tax i.e. they get more money in their pocket. So yes, percentage pay increases do help out the lower end more than the higher end.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Inflation for lowest earners is at about 10% and 8% for highest earners.

So lower earners are impacted more but nowhere near the extent where a flat increase would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I see you like to completely ignore that lowest earners spend a far higher proportion, of net income, on essential spends

• Advertisement

Better work life balance, better A/L.

Other than those (fairly important, let's be honest) not much more

I'm not saying fixed amounts but there is a case for graded percentage raises, like we do tax bands

Someone else was arguing a fixed amount increase so I kinda just lumped it onto my point. I think graded percentage raises are incredibly complicated and difficult to negotiate but I have no inherent objection to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It has already been proposed that there will be an offer of flat rate increases for the lower paid. So, it's likely going to be a % or fixed amount, whichever is greater for 2022 and 2023. I think it's only fair really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenlamp21

Eddie Dempsey and Mick Lynch in the UK are doing an absolutely amazing job as head of unions fighting for their workers.

Listening to them has really driven home that anything less than an inflation matching pay increase is just a real terms pay cut.

They are spot on saying inflation has outstripped wages for the past 30 years but company profits percentage increases have always outstripped inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

I don't think this government will go near matching the inflation rate with the rises for civil/public servants. The only thing they seem to care about is keeping this coalition going than anything else.

Regardless of what your opinion on environmentalism is, the latest decision to make the agricultural sector decrease emissions by a quarter can only be seen as jab at a very large voter base (266k are farmers according to CSO). In 2018 there were 320k employed in the public sector, I think that this current coalition is more interested in keeping their grab on power going than looking after their people for the next election. Crazy as it sounds but can't see them giving much more than 2% over what they have already offered.

The ironic thing is that Sinn Fein may be the next crowd in & they will likely even be more unreasonable to the public sector than the current trio that are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

100% agree, the first offer put on the table looks awfully good now !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

What's your take on Sinn fein being more unreasonable than the current crowd?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Well their party leader saying in January this year that the "constipated" public and civil service will be one of the biggest challenges for Sinn Féin in government.

This sort of rhetoric doesn't exactly instil confidence that giving this same cohort a pay increase will be her number one goal....

(Link: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40778274.html )

Say what you want about FFFG & Greens but their leaders haven't been out openly criticising the public service even after the way they dealt very effectively with Covid-19 etc.

Considering the Public Expenditure Minister said "there is a willingness on the part of Government to improve the offer that is there", I don't think the first offer is looking awfully good.

I do not expect the final deal to match inflation this year at all. The original offer was 3.5% this year and 3.5% next year (I think and taking into account the 1% already agreed). I could see the deal being 4.5->5% this year and next year.

— ..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

You're correct, I don't think the deal will not go anyway near the inflation rate. 4.5% - 5% I'd take right now. This government are playing silly buggers, the closer it gets to budget day the stronger their hand is. They can play the "Well you're getting a tax break" hand to justify a lower deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They'll have conflict between unions vs public opinion when it comes to Public sector.

I agree, once the budget comes, the Unions hand is weaker. Couple that with people turning back on their Gas and getting heating bills, the willingness to strike and lose pay decreases as well. I'd expect them to be able to strike a deal pre-budget and I think it is in everyone's interest to do so.

I'd prolly take 5% this year and 5% next year (so 10% overall) if offered but if my rep recommended strike, I'd vote to strike. Ultimately, the percentage increase won't have a massive effect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd 100 percent take 5 percent now upfront. Put it straight into AVC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Where do their votes come from and what to their voters want. I'd love to see the demographics of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

In private sector. Would give left arm for 5%.

Nothing offered and no union representation. Common story in the private sector

Advertisement