Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sinn Fein hoovered up all the protest votes which is also an artifact of PRSTV. And they still couldn't get a majority, but they were still delighted because having FF and FG in coalition together was their pre-election wet dream knowing that the next election, they are very likely to get all of the disaffected votes as there is no other credible opposition party.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Absolute nonsense.

The Green Party is in government because they agreed a Programme for Government with Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. There is no mention of 30% cuts for agriculture, which the Green Party chairperson was suggesting they should bring down the government on, if they didn`t get their way. That`s not politics. That is political suicide. Their chances were slim anyway of any party looking to have them in a coalition government before that, but after that no one will touch them.

Parties in government have a tough enough time minding their backs from the opposition without the petulance of a party they are in government with threatening to stab them in the back

You really know nothing about the politics of FF and FG do you ?

How farmers react this Summer when meeting their local FF & FG T.D`s will determine whether we have a general election in the Autumn. Where do you think that 20% Independent share is coming from SF ?

It`s coming from former FF and FG voters which with a slim majority is not good news for this government. Do not be surprised if you see FF and FG T.D`s lining up to lose their party whips when they come back from holidays.

You're literally posting in defence of a thread title ''green' policies are destroying the country' where the OP says it's any green policy, not just aimed at the green party, and you object to being described as anti-green?

The 'Green Policies' are in place as a direct result of the blatant corruption of the political process that the fossil fuel industry have been coordinating for Decades.

They are doing it deliberately and lying about it, and most of the talking points you are repeating were dreamt up in the mind of one of their highly paid PR consultants and implanted into your consciousness through repetition and deliberate disinformation campaigns, as well as dirty tricks political shenanigans such as bribing people to run as candidates in elections with similar names to take votes away from an opponent, creating fake political parties with names like the '<insert state> Green Party' (and cheating in the processes required to register new parties) because they know that having a Green Party candidate will cost their real opponents (democrat party) x percent of votes, enough to swing an election

They're trying that again for 2023 btw

Globally, we should be 20 years ahead of where we are now in our rollout of renewable infrastructure. These people delayed it and continue to advocate for more Fossil fuels and Nuclear. Who Benefits? The worst people in the world. GOP, Fossil Fuel Companies, Vlad Putin, the Saudis...

Who suffers?

Everyone else

• Advertisement

Ban all natural resources?

Are you on crack?

You think the GP want to sell our land to the Chinese? That's their real agenda???

10 people thanked this post. You should all be embarrased.

Your translation is what is called a 'straw man' argument

If you want to engage in good faith, you might look up 'steel man' arguments

Anyone can 'translate' someone's argument to something ridiculous and claim victory. what is much harder, is to actually consider the other persons POV and then rebut their actual argument instead of a cartoon version of it.

Jaysus you really do know nothing about politics, and just to clarify up until now I have never voted SF at any level.

When a government is painting themselves into a corner, you do not attract attention from voters seeing that by getting into a tat for tat. You leave them at it. When they have finally boxed themselves and are surrounded by wet paint you stand back, point at them and ask "Why the Hell did they do that, the shower of eejits"

That is politics.

I was replying to a post that quoted a statement from 2020 relating to the greens' willingness to withdraw if the coalition didn't deliver on negotiated green policies.

If the government policy is now that there needs to be a 30% cut in agri emissions, then the greens can revise their requirements to remain in government. They have clearly been given commitments at the cabinet table. They're just putting it on the record that they consider these commitments to be the revised program for government.

What part of this do you have an issue with? The coalition agreed a plan with the stakeholders. The senior coalition partners need to be held accountable to those negotiated commitments.

Would you prefer hot air BS announcements that nobody every intends to follow through with? (see Boris Johnson's government)

• Advertisement

I know plenty about FF and FG politics.

I don't think the 20% are coming from SF, I think anyone who is 'prepared' to vote SF have probably moved into their camp. The 20% independent voters are mostly lapsed FF/FG voters looking for somewhere to go. Where they end up, is likely to be a distribution of all of the main parties plus a sprinkling of independents but there is no way of knowing that distribution this far out from an election that hasn't even been called yet.

My point is that 'the greens are doomed' comments are totally premature and anyone who thinks they can call an election result now is talking shite

I think I know this song, but can you hum a few more bars?

Or in terms of an answer, we use gas.

Oh, there is no gas? Well thank **** we have renewables because without them we'd be screwed even when the wind is blowing and/or the sun is shining (the majority of the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

You didn't really think I was joking until half way through your post. You jokester! Sure who needs farming. How are those vegetables growing on your window sill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I heard green hydrogen as an answer down one of your green loyalists today.

But not viable until at least 2035.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Wafer thin ham is the answer to the 25%

B.S. of the first order.

If they had been given a commitment of 30% at the cabinet table then there would have been no discussion to agree on the level of cuts. The only commitments that justified what the chairperson of the greens was calling for are in the Programme for Government which they signed up to and there is no mention of either 22% 30% or any other % in that programme.

I imagine there are many in the other two parties now see this as you do. "They`re just putting it on the record that they consider these commitments to be the revised program for government" as they have been calling for this but it was a no no from the greens. So you reckon it`s now open season on the 2020 program ? Good to know as these eejits will be gone by Autumn.

Yeah, You've figured it out. Climate scientists who are only in it for research funding, as we all know, are using those massive grants to defame the poor defenceless fossil fuel industry.....

The saddest thing is that the shills did it so cheaply. The Global Warming Policy Foundation and the dozens of other 'think tanks' sold their souls for a few hundred k a year in bribes funding

The handful of disgraced formerly respected climate scientists were bought and paid for at the price of a modest civil service pension scheme

These campaigns that formed the core of decades long denial and obfuscation campaigns were amongst the most profitable activities these companies ever engaged in. Returns on investment of tens of thousands of percent.

What, they are either SF voters jumping ship,based on a poll you posted yourself a few hours ago showing SF up 3%, or it is an increase in voters intending to vote independent that haven`t voted for anybody up until now ? It`s absolutely bonkers as any form of reasoning, but does fit with Irish Green Party thinking.

Green`s are polling within the margin of error. Same as the Labour Party. Do you see a bright future for the Labour Party as well ?

So you actually believe that the green party want to ban all natural resources and intend to create a situation where China can swoop in and buy up all the unused land as part of some kind of treasonous strategy to hand Ireland over to the Chinese.

Because this is what the comment I responded to, and you liked so much you had to explicitly promote it by replying to it to say how clever it was.

• Advertisement

Large scale energy storage is the power issue to be sorted in the 2030-2050 period.

Pre-2030 we need to get as much fossil fuels out of the generation side.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

This seems to be the classic trope about nuclear, it takes too long and isn't suitable for Ireland. Been hearing this for years...and years........and years....maybe if we had done something years ago we wouldn't be in this mess.

We have messed up badly and only have ourselves to blame. If we had built a couple of large nuclear power stations at the turn of the millenia we would be sitting pretty right now and would have minimal energy dependence outside of diesel and petrol imports.

Largely due to one incident in Chernobyl, a flawed antiquated design run by incompetent operators in a shambolic Soviet system many countries like Ireland have refused to look at nuclear.

Ireland is geologically stable and ideal for nuclear and always has been.

You can cover the island in wind turbines and battery farms etc etc but you still need a fuel fed generating capacity. Nuclear is and was always the right decision.

Unfortunately we have fooked up.

Unfortunately I can't see it changing now and we will end up with a bodged mess going forward.

France which is a large nuclear power generating state (circa 70%) has substantially lower electricity prices than it's comparable EU neighbours and when I last checked about 2/3 the price per unit in Ireland. Many homes use electrical heating too....and I don't seem to remember scores of nuclear incidents in France. 1969 and 1980 I think were the only serious incidents and these were involving now long retired older reactor designs and were both contained accidents.

We are happy to import electricity coming from nuclear plants in the UK and in time France with this new interconnector but we don't want to put plants here ? An Irish solution if ever there was one.

The IPSOS poll had no 'Don't know' option so I'm treating IND as a proxy for that, given that no election has been called, so there are no Independent candidates other than existing independent TDs who are all in opposition and got way less than 20% at the last election

Basically, as of last week's poll no party has anywhere near a majority, and there are 20% 1st preferences up for grabs, and with PRSTV, that makes predicting an outcome almost impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I was responding to the suggested idea that the gp threatening to take down the government didn't happen and if it did it was just 'tactics'

In any coalition, it is expected that there is agreement through consensus and not threatening to hold your political partners over a barrel to shoot them in the head. Especially when said party is the minor pattern in that coalition. No one expects anyone in politics to be friends, however democratic processes certainly should be observed.

Green hydrogen has its uses, and will be part of the mix in the medium term. but its not mature yet and nothing we discuss now, will be in place by this winter. You should be glad the transition to renewables has already begun. We're still vulnerable, but not AS vulnerable as we would be without the green policies this thread is opposed to.

Our ambition when it comes to offshore wind should be at the very highest levels. Building the type of marine engineering infrastructure that can be used across the planet.

The Irish State should always invest in infrastructure, and our future should involve becoming an exporter of electricity.

I agree, but I think much of that 'large scale energy storage' can be distributed to millions of small domestic/commercial scale storage installations which can reduce the need for 'baseload' capacity.

We don't need feed in tariffs, just smart metres and batteries that can draw in off peak power, and use stored energy when prices are high, and recharge the batteries when prices are low.

It is possible to have an even smarter feed in tariff structure, but as I posted today, vested interests will combat this tooth and nail. We don't need feed in capacity, we need smart draw down from the grid first, and this can be done with modest storage distributed across millions of premises across the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Would you not need a decent navy to protect such a massive infrastructure project. 😲

For things greens dream about 2035 is tomorrow. For anything anyone else mentions ten years has to be added.

It`s because of parallel universes or different dimensions as far as I can make out. Could even be something to do with time travel but I doubt that as it`s theoretically related to speed and following Eamon`s edict on speed would rule it out.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't start from here

If we had an existing nuclear infrastructure then this would be a different argument. But we're not in that place, so we need to perform a 'Gap analysis'

The amount and scale of changes required to get from where we are now, to an economy fueled by nuclear, requires so many transformative changes that it is unrealistic to expect it to be an option in the medium/long term.

If anyone has a Gap Analysis that contradicts this, I'd be delighted to read it.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gap-analysis.asp

Advertisement