Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I’ve been scammed

• 29-07-2022 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Got spurious text messages from Revolut yesterday supplying me with an authentication code I hadn’t requested.

Then account was locked until now and most of the money e.g. 20k has been cleared out.

Currently waiting for Revolut agent to reply in a chat which they said could take a few hours.

Am I likely to get the money back?

How comes Revolut weren’t contacting me yesterday?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Most likely Revolut didn’t contact you because the scammers had sufficient details of your affairs to get past the security checks. It does happen, otherwise the scammers would have got out of business long ago.

No one can say for definite until the matter has been investigated, but I’d say there is only a very slim chance that you won’t get the money back.

I know it’s too late for you but for others reading this - if you get a genuine validation request when you didn’t expect it you must react! It a good indication that something serious is afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jos_kel

On Revolut live chat but it’s taking forever and a day to get chatting to someone.

is there anyway of talking to a human urgently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Omg how horrific, hope you get your money back. Not the same thing, but my brother responded to one of those text messages from a fake bank of Ireland and all his money was gone but thankfully bank of Ireland reimbursed him as he was a victim of a criminal act.

Thanks for the words of comfort.

Now I can’t even log into my account.

So frustrating that I can’t even get talking to anyone for a start at least.

Please can anyone tell me what my next best step is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Has your sim card been cloned? Not something that really happens in Ireland

Seems strange to be getting authentication codes that you are not reacting to and then your account is cleared out - are you sure you didnt respond to some scam message etc?

If Revolut didnt do due diligence on transactions you should get your money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Probably to wait for the morning and raise a chat again at 7 or 8am. Keep specifying "speak to an agent" if you get a bot.

https://www.revolut.com/help/more/company/how-do-i-contact-customer-support

Please let us know how it goes - many of us have Revolut accounts and are keen to know how they handle this.

Good luck.

I’m totally at a loss.

Someone from KBS rang me yesterday evening and said they had detected fraud and wanted me to log on to my KBC mobile app. I done that, by the way, didn’t divulge the passcode, nor click on any links.

I think that I may get my money back too but I wish Revolut would be more contactable for cases like this?

What do you recommend I do first thing in the morning as a first step.

By the way have a trip planned to Manchester to Old Trafford tomorrow.

so this is dreadful timing not that there ever is good timing for something like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is not how KBC do fraud detection etc - I had a fraud alert on my account recently (with KBC) and they went through recent transactions and asked is this ok etc, They did not ask me to sign in to the app - they wouldn't know if you did log in to your app

I think your phone/pc may be hacked

Stealing someone’s money is always a crime…. The question is were you complicit in the act, if so you are unlikely to get your money back. But very few are so the expectation is that the money will be returned.

• Advertisement

If two different financial institutions detected fraudulent activity on the same day then the first thing you need to do is change the security access on every single account you have plus PayPal et all. And on any other account where you might have personal data. And if it were me, I’d do it from a computer other than the one I normally use.

After that check that all your devices are running the latest version of the OS, virus checkers are up to date and there is no malware installed on your devices.

Two scams in one day is a bit to much of a coincidence.

you say if you get a "genuine" validation code when you didn't request it you must react?? Well firstly how is it "genuine" if you didn't request it?

Secondly how must you react?? (especially when Revolut cannot be contacted)

and by the way OP good luck in this and keep us posted.... it's a nightmare when stuff like this happens

The reason you are asked to validate a transaction is to ensure that it is genuine transaction. So a fraudulent transaction can set off a genuine validation request from the bank. That is why it is important to react even if you did not trigger the request, someone did!

How to react - difficult if you can't talk to an agent immediately, but while you are waiting: Login to your account, see what is happening on your account, change your login credentials. If you have a doubt about any of your cards consider cancelling them on line. And try and get in contact with your bank ASAP.

Thanks for all the responses.

Im in the ‘In App’ chat on Revolut and no one is responding when I type ‘Live Agent’.

I will be feeling a little better if I could get web-chatting or on a phone to Revolut.

For the record going to report it to Guards at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Keep at it with Revolut, try every couple of mins.

BTW, I'm not victim-blaming here - but did you have shared PIN numbers with KBC and Revolut? Did you by any chance access the Revolut app around the same time as you accessed the KBC one? Was it done on a PC or phone?

Go to the Guards once both accounts are suspended.

I don’t recall any of the above.

why are Revolut so elusive even for a web chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That KBC one sounds like a scammer, genuine agents won't ring asking you to log into the app.

Fianceé got a very convincing one recently, they spoofed the real KBC number and had her old card number so sounded genuine, said they were sending her a text to confirm her identity and to read to verification code back them.

Obviously they were scammers trying to get into her account. If something like that ever happens hang up and call the number on your card to confirm.

Thanks but I didn’t get scammed from money in KBC rather Revolut the bank I’m moving to

In guards, they said transactions are pending but not gone through and to contact, but how to contact the bank.

My kingdom for a Revolut support person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Are you able to log back into the app ? Can you see who/which country the money was sent to ? Lots of banks have a lower threshold for currency transfers for newly added contacts. Surprised Revolut doesn't have something similar.

Guards said freeze card and email

formalcomplaints@revolut.com

To prevent fraudulent transactions going from pending to approved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Not a chance in hell and the "chat" people are simply in a call centre and will know feck all. They do not do customer service well. That's why they don't charge fees and plaster their site with crypto adverts

How would the Garda be able to tell you that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Revolut have a banking license and that means the must have an acceptable process for handling money laundering and that will have been signed off on and audited. So yes the will most definitely have to deal with this issue.

Try this number: +37052143608 and work your way through the process until you get to a person

Thanks but all automated and for all menu options it just redirects me to the infamous web chat.

didnt get talking to anyone.

Thanks anyway

Well it’s showing like a greyish icon for the higher bogus transactions.

would that suggest that they are still pending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

As others have said they may have remote access to your phone. Therefore when you log into things on the phone they are also in there and could transfer money out. They may have got control of your phone weeks ago and then try to use that access to get into any and all financial things like online banking, online bank apps, credit card numbers typed, Gmail or email for resetting passwords, SMS for receiving codes and resetting passwords. There is a high chance they will try repeatedly to connect and transfer money or copy credit card details or any account such as Netflix etc. These are experts and they will try lock you out and make you log into apps to help them. I recommend turning phone off and contacting banks and credit card company etc asking any suspicious activity on the account. By logging in using the phone you may be helping them log in. They can show you fake screens meanwhile in back round they are transferring money and typing in the SMS authorisation codes. Personally I would use a separate computer and a separate / friends phone. Put your phone back to factory settings and perform updates. You may have clicked on a weird link months ago e.g. an post parcel held, and then they had remote access to phone due to virus and still have access.

Advertisement