Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

They are technically entitled to apply for it if they apply for jobs here

They shouldn't be. Immigrants shouldn't be entitled to any form of social welfare unless they have contributed for a minimum mandatory period. And of course that will be discrimination in favor of natives but this is just how world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Gardai should be brought in and have them removed but of course we have a whole bleeding heart liberal industry set up to protect these people backed up by the state broadcaster and other special interest media outlets like Newstalk so that won't happen.

So they were mad when they were sent to Kinnegad and now they're mad they're leaving.

The phrase "hunger strike" seems to be the magic phrase, it gets you whatever you want in the asylum process. I remember writing to Frances Fitzgerald years ago when there was the first case of a short hunger striker being given leave to remain even though they were just trying to deport him to the UK because of an active claim there, told her it was a bad precedent to allow the system to be manipulated in such a way and got a letter back from a staffer at her office basically saying it was none of my business.

Can you imagine if people on the housing list started going on hunger strike until they got what they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Anyone who questions it is just a racist...apparantly.

You have these people who claim to be escaping murder, rape etc yet they seem to have very high standards for people who have been given safety. If some group were roaming the streets looking to murder me I'd be damn glad of a sheet and pillow on the ground in a safe country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the building in Kinegad is Harry’s Hotel,

a four star hotel, all modern amenities and our thanks for enabling their comfort, enjoyment and safety there, is that they tell the Irish government, taxpayers who are footing the tab and the owners and staff of that hotel who are expecting other bookings no doubt…” we are going nowhere, we live here for now… “

it’s now their beliefs that we are to keep them in ongoing four star luxury…

quite simply if this is happening over a hotel, when we need to repatriate in time these people home….we’ll be told

.. “ fûck off, give us a house, we are staying. “

why wouldn’t they, free bed and food..luxury accommodation..it’s their beliefs that Irish taxpayers need to be paying for a four star hotel for them to live in… this, on the back of covid, nutsville.

When did you ever see the likes of this… ‘assylum’ in a four star hotel and not a bit of thanks or gratefulness, their right apparently…not two fûcks given for the people of this country.

• Advertisement

And of course that will be discrimination in favor of natives but this is just how world works.

Except it's not discriminatory as any natives returning to Ireland after a stint abroad won't have their contributions and so be factored into welfare payments. I'd been paying tax while abroad for my house/mortgage/landlording, and it was worth a miniscule reference when I sought jobseekers. I was given the most basic allocation because I hadn't been working here for years. Whereas, immigrants have some leeway because they're immigrants.

So, you're completely right about not being entitled to any benefits because natives aren't either. Only those who have remained in Ireland, and contributed gain (and even then, what's considered relevant has an expiry date)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Poor fuckers. Maybe trafficked, seperated from their families, smuggled in on boats and in trucks and when they finally get here they have to live in Kinnegad.

@[Deleted User] yes you're right, but I was referring to those natives that never worked a day in their life and never contributed a cent - between them and the immigrant that goes on the dole the next day after stepping off the plane some will say that there is discrimination, and maybe it is, but the difference is that the immigrant can go back where they came from and claim benefits from their home country.

Ahh.. that chestnut. That vague unknown number who have apparently never worked a day in their lives and never contributed.. Nah.. I don't buy it. (I assume we're not including those with genuine disabilities).

I know those who would be classed as complete wasters having spent decades on welfare.. but then I also know that they've done a variety of contract/temp jobs over the decades which would have been taxed. They contributed. Not to the same extent as a normal rat race participant, but their contributions exist. In addition, their children or family members have also contributed in their own ways.

I don't buy into that argument because the migrant is starting from zero. And no, it's not discriminatory.. unless we're going to acknowledge the way that foreigners gain benefits or sympathy which influences the decisions to provide benefits, which natives don't get themselves.. because as natives they're expected to provide for themselves.

In any case, we're not a 3rd world nation begging for foreigners to come here to work/live. We're one of the top destinations for immigration, due to our economy and standards of living as a first world nation. We're not the same as the US, UK or Germany with generations of people seeing them as the perfect place to immigrate to, but we don't need to be. We should be selecting the best possible immigrants who are capable of providing for themselves for the foreseeable future.

TBH I think we should be more like the Asian nations. I've been looking at S.Korea as a place to move to as an expat. I could buy my way in by buying a company, or having a few hundred grand in the bank. I can get a visa tied directly to my employment, renewable, but if I want anything more permanent, I need to prove that I'm providing something of worth to that nation. Usually that involves having extensive savings, but it also includes skills/education that is not commonly available in that country.

That's the way we should be looking at immigration. Whether a migrant can provide something of value to our nation.. and anyone that needs welfare support is definitely not such a desirable candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Ah the Steven Crowder tactic of "Never mention race, always say culture instead!". I doubt you even know the stats of the amount of EEs in the country, the amount of crime, the amount in prisons etc. All of the hoopla by several posters about housing and facilities and we have a huge amount of EEs here taking up those resources that doesn't get mentioned. So you have to wonder if they actually care about those issues or are they just people who don't like other races ("cultures") and that's a way to attack them. If I cared about an issue so badly that I was making thousands of posts daily and allowing it to consume my life, I wouldn't give a pass to people because they are white. But hey, that's just me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

lol. Time to get some popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Disappointing response from Abolish Direct Provision Campaign, presuming that Ukrainians are non-black, non-brown.

It's not about race yet still they make it about the race.

In the US, the Republican Governors of Texas and Arizona have started bussing undocumented migrants let in by Bidens policies to Washington DC (a sanctuary city) and both DC and NY are saying they're completely overwhelmed. Doesn't sound as if they're enjoying this which is odd given their States policies

"Migrants arriving in DC have so far been heavily reliant on local mutual aid organisations for everything from food and assistance to housing and jobs.

Some do not stay long in the nation's capital, reconnecting with family or locating their immigration appointments in other parts of the US.

Washington DC is a sanctuary city, one of many Democratic-led jurisdictions around the country that limits its co-operation with federal immigration law enforcement.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams last week partially blamed the bussing programmes for placing a "real burden" on the city's safety net and shelter system."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The usual perpetrators what surprises is how some give them such large amounts of money !!

Notorious gang unmasked as romance fraudster who stole €250,000 from Irish woman

You are the one bringing race in to it. It's about two things:

1) Culture. Yes. Culture. As in, traditionally European, Christian-origin culture. You know, the people who've been in Europe for hundreds of years. The descendants of people who created the countries that made the rest of the world want to come and live in.

2) Legal status. If someone is an EU national and comes here legally, pays taxes, then I've got no issue with that. If they are from Moldova or Georgia, are white, Christian, sorry you need to follow the rules and go through the system LEGALLY.

Plenty of non-Christian folks have lived in Europe for hundreds of years

What religion someone is has little to do with anything unless you want to discriminate on its basis, which apparently you do

I don't want to discriminate based on religion. You are putting words in my mouth. I was using religion as a loose identifier.

I said Christian-origin. As in, traditionally Europe was made up of Christians predominantly. This is not controversial. It's like saying the Middle East today is mostly muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mr. Karate II

Honestly, The Republicans should have been doing that since the 80s. Once the Democrats broke their promise on securing the border if Reagan signed the amnesty.

We should be doing that here. Start sending them to Martin, Varadkar, all the sitting Govt members and NGO execs communities and see if they still want them here.

Sure, they have... however, their numbers and the actual density they represented was very very low. The problem, in modern times, is that population amounts can raise significantly within a relatively short period of time, and ghettoisation based along ethnic or religious lines is a very real thing in Europe.

Oh, and you might want to consider what happened in the past whenever those population centres grew to be noticeable. Yup. Burning torches, pitchforks, expulsion of minorities beyond their borders, etc.

But sure, let's ignore all of that, even though very little has changed since those times in terms of tribalism. What do you think is going to happen when European economies enter a major recession (which is assured at this point), unemployment rises, welfare receipts increase.. etc all the while needing to pay the increased expenditure from migrant groups who don't have the generational wealth to support themselves during those tough times? Who will be considered as being alien and unwelcome in western nations?

Yup. Those who are non-white and non-Christian. But sure, let's increase those numbers so those with a grudge over our economic situation have more targets to choose from.

Makes sense.

• Advertisement

It's obvious enough to what you referred to. Western culture is based off the influence of Christianity (in its various forms) over the centuries, and how western thought either supported or sought to counter the influence of the Church. In spite of the many differences between western nations, there is a general agreement on various values such as the importance of human life, the safety that should be extended to children, the freedoms provided to women to bring about equality, etc.

These common values are present in all western nations. They're not present to the same degree in Africa, Asia, etc, except where colonialization left a strong imprint on the society and educational infrastructure remaining, and that has continued to this day. But even in those countries, there tends to be a very different take on those values, similar but very different in how they're commonly perceived by people.

Which is why Westerners can travel to any other western nation and easily join with that society, with few problems (not of their own making). It's different with foreign groups of non-western or non-westernised cultures because they don't have that common bond or perception on the values involved.

However, in reality, you're not going to get any acknowledgement from DaCor or others who champion mass immigration or multiculturalism.. We never really see any posters from that perspective willing to delve deeper and recognise the foundational aspects of society, or even to consider how society will react to their viewpoints over extended periods of time. God forbid, that we (or they) use history as a basis for logical argument.

Absolutely. While I find PR stunts to be a bit childish and more something belonging to the woke social media mob, I do believe there is a disconnect between the politicians making decisions in their air conditioned offices, versus the consequences of those decisions which they are too far removed from. They need the consequences to be thrown at them, to give them some skin in the game.

Feel so sorry for the people who work trying to find accommodation for unprecedented numbers of asylum seekers, it must be an impossible job and to have to hear the politicans say that there is no cap on the numbers when you're struggling to find places for the people already here must be incredibly frustrating. Politicans get to make sweeping statements but get to leave the actual hard work of making those promises come true to civil servants and the bill to the taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

That's just not true for the most part

Crimes that are perpetrated from those by ethnic minority backgrounds are typically always going to have a social media defence. This in turn tends to lead to any crimes being ignored- See: the huge number of ongoing Islamic rape gangs around England where nothing is being done.

Hence why many on the Left have recently moved to the Rhetoric of 'Defund the Police'

Impressive numbers in the latest report on the regularisation schemes for undocumented folks and asylum seekers ahead of the closing dates for each group, July

• More than 7,200 undocumented migrants living in Ireland have applied for a scheme to regularise their status.
    • 1,450 people have already been granted legal permission to remain in Ireland.

As for the scheme for asylum seekers:

The Department of Justice's International Protection Office wrote to approximately 4,000 potentially eligible applicants, and so far over 2,200 applications have been made under this scheme, and over 1,000 applicants have been given permission to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

First honest post on boards.ie - well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There's also the pledges which have been very slow in being allocated. A further drive to get more offers would likely see additional capacity added there too.

Awww, your fellow leftie liberals literally pooping their jox when actually asked to put their shoulder to the wheel instead of posting on FB and Insta for the "loikes"

Lastly, additional accommodation is being built every day in the form of houses and apartments. CPO/lease/rent whatever is needed for the interim

Fcuk the first time buyers in their early 30s trying to set up home for their planned family?

Sure there are capacity issues and bottlenecks, but that is to be expected with the volume, I would be stunned if there weren't issues, but it'll get sorted.

Shur, it'll be grand in the end, won't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At some point the West is going to have accept that the concept of asylum as it was originally envisioned is now being weaponised against them and scrap the whole system

Shur, it'll be grand in the end, won't it?

Exactly

• Advertisement

Lastly, additional accommodation is being built every day in the form of houses and apartments. CPO/lease/rent whatever is needed for the interim

It's an interesting one. In Athlone, three housing developments are finishing being built (over the next month or so) and all of them have an asking price of between 240-300k. I suspect it's the same all around the country. Would appear to be an expensive option to house Ukrainians, and the asking price is above the means of many people.

And for renting, small time (single/duo property) landlords are getting out of the rental market due to the rent freezes and the increases in tenant rights. I was part of a landlord mailing list/association for Cork, and the membership list has declined by, roughly, half over the 6 months. Sure, many of them are selling outright while the property prices are high, but again, the prices being sold would be fairly high.

So, honestly, I do wonder where all these new properties are going to come from, or the rental properties for either Ukrainians or the existing renting population. The government seems hellbent on making it hard for small landlords to continue, with a different tax approach for organisations with larger holdings.

DaCor's answer is the lazy answer. It's the same answer that our politicians give (ignoring everything they've done to make it a harder environment to provide housing to anyone). And it's going to be the expensive answer too, due to that same environment they've created, a range of expenditure picked up by the taxpayer, which will contribute strongly to the coming recession. Along with all the anger/bitterness over resources being expended on foreigners while Irish people are struggling.

Advertisement