Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playdate - A new handheld console

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the international shipping was a disaster. But managed to get in, and pretty sure it's the 2021 batch (my order number is well in the first 20,000 anyway). Bring on the hipster crank console!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Argh for some reason I had the 29th in my head as Friday. Missed first batch, order is 25000+. Site shows now that orders will ship in 2022.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm in the first 20k, woo! Can't wait to crank it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭brevity

Completely forgot about it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Want to see what the inside of the device looks like? iFixit has you covered...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unsurprisingly, the chip shortage strikes again:

https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1458857960705183748?s=21

I’m in ‘group two’ of orders, which is early 2022. But looks like any orders beyond the first 20,000 will be ‘second half’ of next year.

Got my bumped email. That's the steam deck and this pushed well into 2022.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Review systems are in out and feedback is incoming:

I'm in the second batch for 2022 so will have to wait a little longer. However I'm wondering if the playdate shipping to ireland is going to get caught up by an posts draconian handling of importing which could lead to consoles getting returned to sender.

Just got an email to say Batch 2 started shipping, started a few days ago in fact. So expect it in the coming weeks @Retr0gamer & @johnny_ultimate

I'm in batch 3 so still a wait to go. 20,000-30,000 in batch 2. So likely August / September for batch 3.

Still great to see things moving. Steam Deck landed last week after waiting 11 months, new EV is on its way to the dealers for pick up after a 7 month wait. Play date getting closer. Just the pocket Analogue towards the end of the year and my spending is done 😂

Yep should hopefully be on the way soonish, although they’ve given themselves until the end of August to get them all out. I’m in the 14000s order wise so around half-way through the batch - hopefully should ship towards the end of July.

A positive note in the email at least is that the shipping systems seems to have accounted for duties etc so international customers aren’t getting stung for extra. Fingers crossed that’s replicated here!

• Advertisement

I'm 17000 so looking like August for me and getting it shipped to my parents. I'll get it eventually. Just a bit annoying seeing all the excitement on twitter when the first batch launched and missing out on the monthly game release schedule.

I like the way the first season starts when you get it rather than just running for 12 weeks and if you come late they all drop.

Getting a new surprise each week will be nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Things seem to be moving along, 11000 are shipping right now.

I'm around the 15000 mark, so I'm expecting mine to be shipped before the end of July

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just checked via the Playdate discord and, sure enough, my order 154XX is processing!

Hopefully won't be too much longer now

Just got a shipping confirmation there.

Not expected to arrive until w/b 8th August, which isn't too surprising as it's coming from the US.

I just got a notification that it is being exported, after a shipping notification on the 19th.

Can't wait, not only for the various slow release of games from Playdate themselves, but also the plethora of releases coming along for sideloading.

I've already bought a mahjong game, just need a Playdate to play it on!

Still nothing for me although I'm in the 17K order region

Anyone else find the Passport shipping service to be odd?

The latest update to my PD is Departed Terminal Location and gives no clue as to where the heck the package is.

This just got an update and a day later a gitlab appeared that lets to play games from the memory rather than just the cart.

• Advertisement

Mine’s on that status too and just today got an An Post tracking number. No details yet though.

Just got my An Post tracking.

The wait continues!

Just got a notification from An Post that the parcel has arrived in Ireland and is due for delivery tomorrow. Delivery time is around 2.5 weeks - a few days ahead of the estimate - so if it does indeed deliver tomorrow.

Still no word on mine 😔

Based on the trackers they seem to be sending them out in big batches of a couple of thousand at a time.

So loads sent the week before last, but none last week: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ioAvAZJgs8KRrZIGVxJAe9JgtfyJ_OwUqrMp5qV8wfg/edit#gid=326302103

I'm in the 17000's so seems they're not quite there yet.

I got a notification also, my PD should be in my hands tomorrow!

Can't wait!

I found a list of games to be sideloaded from the current crop so I'll be doing that as well

My Playdate arrived this morning, I'll post some pictures once I open it

Also arrived nice and early this morning :)

Tiny little thing - especially compared to the gargantuan Steam Deck!

• Advertisement

Also: no customs charges, so at least that eases the pain of the pre-order mess and high shipping.

The device itself is slick and impressive so far - pretty impressive welcome graphics and UI. Took me a while to figure out the crank for the surfing game, but made more sense after a couple of tries. Casual Birder seems like a lot of fun - like a mini photography RPG.

Advertisement