Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sometimes YouTube's algorithm surfaces something worth clicking on: the final fight in Star Trek VI. God damn. I know Wrath of Khan rightly gets the plaudits as Best in Class but VI's battle was itself so good, so tense. Had to laugh how Scotty is technically the man who saved the President's life! Or how the President is Clarence Boddicker himself. Bitches leave.

Said it before, but space battles should be simple in Trek; the ships are submarines, it's all about naval battles. Lumbering beasts prowling each other, taking furtive shots across their bows. Not pew-pew-pew, ships zipping about like fighters. Strange New Worlds kinda had the best of both worlds in many respects; adding yet another pip to its cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

The STII battle is two subs. STVI is a heavy cruiser, then two, against a submarine. Unfortunately for the Enterprise and Excelsior there are no hedgehogs in space.

I always picture the president threatening to put the entirety of his boot the up someone's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Unfortunately for the Enterprise and Excelsior there are no hedgehogs in space.

What's that meant to mean?

Also Enterprise and Excelsior won that fight.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

That's good to know. I might go watch it so. Thought I was going have to go all the-wau across yo the other side of the country for a while there. Still they charge am extra euro in Vue Dublin the feckers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Enterprise was decommissioned afterwards and the heavy damage it received probably played a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I would be happy to buy the Polar Lights model kit of the same size, if it didn't involve having to apply so many of those cursed decals yourself.

I built a 1-foot and a 2-foot version of the TOS enterprise and the builds were fun but the application of the decals at the end basically ruined the experience for me, they just tear or come apart as you're applying them and you're left with a useless painted model with no insignia.

I do still really really want to try the 1/350 TMP Enterprise from Polar Lights...! Not sure how impressed Mrs JayRoc would be when she saw how much space it would take up, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Niska

The STII battle is two subs. STVI is a heavy cruiser, then two, against a submarine. Unfortunately for the Enterprise and Excelsior there are no hedgehogs in space.

You would think that, after 20+ years of knowing about cloaked ships, they'd have developed something to counter them. A low powered but high dispersion phaser, a photon warhead that sacrifices damage for area. A giant paint can with a fire-cracker attached...

The Enterprise as an older ship may not have them but the Excelsior should.

(Of course, the counter is that they are facing a one of a kind ship that can fire while cloaked. The doctrine was probably wait for decloaking and then alpha strike it - no need for experimental weapons. Which reminds me that the editor of A Starfleet Battles magazine had to ask readers to stop sending in rules for firing while cloaked after Vi came out).

I always picture the president threatening to put the entirety of his boot the up someone's ass.

Wonder was he behind the disappearance of the Excelsiors' original first officer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I never thought I’d say this but I really hope this doesn’t happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As we've seen though, it entirely depends on who they get to helm the thing. Get the right prosecution team in that does justice to the characters...? The base setup of the show has more legs than the other Trek's IMO.

Though that leads to the point about where DS9 would go from where it ended; wasn't there an actual season 8 draft sketched out fadó? Seem to recall Nog got promoted to captain of the defiant? Obviously a few of the critical actors are no longer with us, while others seem a touch too old to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That was something on the DS9 doc.

I really don't want to see this. DS9 was my favourite and most interesting Trek show. The characters were probably the most human of all Trek (regardless of their actual species).

Sisko had the same sense of righteousness that Burnham has but at least with his character there was the space, even the expectation, to question this righteousness.

Think of his Pale Moonlight monologue in Discovery terms: 1 it would be voiceover as she walks in slow motion through the ship. 2: each person she passed would look up at her worshippingly. And 3: there would be the obligatory "Did I do what was right. Blah blah blah". Not the awesome :"But the most damning thing is: I think I can live with it.... I CAN live with it"

I love SNW but no. Leave DS9 alone. There are SO many options. Give us a Daystrum Institute show (you can even then bring in Com Meaney for crossover appeal). Give us a cop show set in San Francisco.(Streets of New San Francisco 😃), if they bring in McCoy eventually, to SNW, give us an M'Benga show on a medical station (I really like that guy), you want or action, give us a MAKO series.

There are so many options. Don't risk of for a biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This may be a controversial opinion, but did Gene Rodenberrys death actually help Star Trek evolve rather than hold it back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The idea that he was holding it back and his stepping back (rather than death) benefited it is not a controversial opinion at all and has been frequently expressed by actors and writers since the '90s at least. In the long-term though I do think Star Trek suffered from not having a Michael Piller-type around to reign things in and remind people what Roddenberry's vision was.

Oh I agree there's a whole universe to explore, but I just mean that visiting DS9 years after the show could work if the right people were behind the show. And as we have seen with Lower Decks, it's entirely feasible; I'm staying broadly positive that it and SNW has quietly shown the direction Trek has to go in & Kurtzmann will learn those lessons.

Oh and M'Benga won me over the moment he popped his fisherman's hat on. So stupid, but just added that extra layer of personality 90% of Disco's cast lacks. They'd kill for a fisherman's hat.

The terrified rictus smile on his face as he tried to backpedal from letting slip the nicknames of Number One and Soong: "I don't know what I am saying"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

If they can just gradually wind-down and grandfather out all the elements that handicapped Discovery (and potentially bits of the Picard production) and focus on everything that has worked so far, then maybe just maybe they could pull off a good DS9 follow up. Can you imagine a modern take on the Klingon Worf of TNG with a Jem Hadar or Cardasiian in Starfleet? Or whatever else has happened to the Dominion since Odo rejoined the Great Link? A group of writers who actually like Trek (ala Lower Decks) could make a good show, if they can cast, write and direct it well.

No more silly fantasies of having Yeoh return in your silly Section 31 show Alex….make Trek people actually want please!

Micheal: Garak! You….(tears welling up) (whispering) You always planned to kill him didn’t you?!

Garak: Yes Captain, and if you can hold back your blubbering for one moment you would know that we may have saved the whole Alpaha Quadrant.

Micheal: (Whispering, shaking head) But it is wrong there are rules

Garak: Human rules which seem to give far too great of an advantage to your enemies. Now please leave, you are causing moisture damage to my spring frocks.

Micheal: This CANNOT stand! I am going to Constable Tilly now to get a warrant! (Leaves)

• Advertisement

No doubt about that at all. He was quite stuck in his ideas which held back a lot of early TNG (I don't think he wanted conflict within the crews so they had to come up with numerous iterations of the crew being possessed in order to instill some conflict). I mean, one can be the originator of some great ideas but still hinder the big picture.

IMHO, Asimov was a very poor writer. GREAT ideas - I grew up on his robot stories, but terrible writer. (But that's another thread :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But your mistake is thinking Discovery "didn't work" or was some how "handicapped"

You are just projecting your own feelings on to show.

Ms

But it "Discovery" did not work.

It has virtually no character development unless you're Micheal and very little teamwork or Original stories. It is the sane thing over abs over again. It adds nothing new to the Universe and as far as I am concerned does not exist.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Gene Roddenberry did have some really great ideas do.

Star Trek is not the only thing he came up with do. There was Andromeda too and other shows as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It got 4 seasons and counting. Revived Trek to the point we have 4 shows and 3 live concurrent. It's popular just not with the 30+ aged TNG fans populate the likes of Boards.

I question how popular it is generally TBH. I know we've debated this before but I dunno; do de yoof even watch TV now?. I'd not be surprised if Disco runs for another season or two, tops.

Ms

You-Tube and that other Chinese platfotm whatever its called I forget thankfully as I have zero interest in it is all I think they watch these days. I was asking my 12 year old nephew just last weekend if he was into Star Wars and he was like no. I know he watched it when he was younger in fact he used to live it but grown out of it already. Just all You-Tube now.

I like You-Tube too but mostly for reviews and news or trailers on what I am into like Movies, Makeup, History, Star Trek, F1, cars etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

All manner of poor Television get multiple seasons, especially these days when you have streaming platforms thirsty for content. If a show like Discovery can keep cost effective, then they’ll keep ordering new seasons, quality be damned.

Admittedly yes, I’m in that 30+ group who watched the TNG shows when they came on broadcast TV. It was that time I became a Trekkie as well as many others, if not earlier for some. They were the helsion days of a long lived franchise that had finally gotten enough cash, fandom and technology to expand it’s fictional universe.

After Enterprise we entered a decade where it looked like we would have no more Trek, but the JJ Movies did give the franchise a boost to get it back to life and the rise of streaming platforms give it a place to return.

But it is a double-edged sword. Streaming platforms demand frequency and quantity. Quality appears to be a secondary concern. This environment rushed out what became Discovery and although the early season of that showed considerable promise, it was ultimately flawed by being formed as a season-long arc show, run by people who don’t know how the write that kind of thing.

I am projecting my feelings for Discovery because My attachment to Trek is based on emotion. Emotions such as enjoyment, excitement and even fear when young Rawr had nightmares of the Borg.

Trek to for work me, needs to be something that I can form a positive emotional attachment to. In most versions of Trek including the JJ Movies, and some of the newer Trek I can do that, but with Discovery after Season 2 I could only attached disappointment and frustration. Trek or not, it had become a bad Television show that was not enjoyable compared to the rest of the current franchise that could at least manage that.

I am no Robbenberry or Trek cannon purist who refuses to accept changes to the Trek formula, but the experience still needs to be good, and feel they had failed to do that with Discovery. I feel they should finish that show and give the time & resources that to a new Trek project built on the lessons that I hope they have now started to learn.

There's a great ethical dilemma in what to do with the Jem'Hadar in a peaceful Dominion, or more likely Dominion Balkanisation. Do you keep breeding them? Let them die out? Is it possible to engineer out their white addiction and warrior tendencies and in the case of the latter is it right to do that to their culture such that it is? A competent team could get a season out of that alone with all sides of the issue having valid points but I don't think that team exists any more, not even the old DS9 team.

On Rodenberry, he's a lot like George Lucas or other visionaries let them have their ideas and grand visions but they need someone that can tell them "no." Marcia Lucas allegedly used to do that for George.

• Advertisement

2 more seasons takes it close to Bermantrek levels so I can't see how it can be considered a failure then.

We all here think it's sht but don't forget that plenty of crap TV is very popular.

Advertisement