Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am not going to rise to your off-thread trolling. I am staying squeaky clean on this thread.

Maybe it was a cross-community gesture. Maybe they thought there were going to be players singing Ira songs from the platform again this week and therefore they thought it might embarrass the Psni team whose comrades the Ira had murdered and hence were making potential singers aware. That’s about as credible as some claims on here as to why they let other players know in advance

mind you I still don’t know why the letter writer or posters here thought others needed to know in advance. Can you imagine rightly the outcry if the letter had said there was a team attending who were gay, trans or black

• Registered Users Posts: 68,572 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You really don't get it do you?

GAA are open to all and have membership of all. the PSNI are open to all and have membership of all.

It therefore CANNOT be a sectarian incident unless you believe they are representative of ONLY your community.

Have the PSNI denied that NO other team objected? No, they haven't. So no formal GAA objection, and it was the GAA who invited them.

Yet the GAA are sectarian?...the desparation to find something as bigoted and sectarian as the 11th night or as constitutionally sectarian as the OO continues.

Francie it’s not too difficult to find stuff. It’s everywhere and increasing apparently. Here is last weeks fleadh which was billed as “events the entire family can enjoy…displaying the best of Irish culture.” The Gaelic family should have invited the Psni GAA team to this to emerge them in real Irish culture.

https://twitter.com/mooreholmes24/status/1552953849673293826?s=21

And I can point to the same activity when loyalists get together., all day long Your problem is that you think the 12th is an inclusive family day out, it isn't because it celebrates the subjugation and killing of a section of the community. That is at it's core however much you pretend it is innocent and about marching bands.

This is the same thing happening to a lesser degree. Wrong too and not to be condoned.

When you are ready to accept that both sides will celebrate/commemorate their own and want to find a way to do it respectfully, and what that will require from both sides, get back to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Nice attempt at deflection Downcow with a Tweet from a renowned Taig-hater from an event that was not remotely GAA-related.

Now ... back to the discussion.

Serious question: Have you ever played sport as part of a team? You seem to be suggesting that a team would turn up at a tournament and not know what other teams are in the tournament! That's ridiculous!

"Right lads, we're entered into a tournament in Banbridge against other teams from the county"

Have a wild guess downcow what the next lines of this exchange might be bearing in mind the great sporting rivalry between Co. Down clubs who participate in this wonderful sport.

Maybe I'll give you the answer .... "When is it?" "Who are we playing against?"

"Cover up" You're really scraping the barrel here.

now we are closer. I always have accepted the 12th is a single identity event but more and more foreign holiday makers etc are attending and catholic mates of prods.

I am glad you have moved to accept that GAA is a single identity organisation with the odd person of difference attending both foreign and prods.

anyhow I don’t want to get deflected by unionist culture as this thread was about the GAA

What intrigues me about the whole thing and I don't see an answer to it.

Were the PSNI team going to play this tournament undercover? What was the problem with other teams knowing who they were?

They play with the PSNI crest on their jersey's

now we are closer. I always have accepted the 12th is a single identity event but more and more foreign holiday makers etc are attending and catholic mates of prods.

I am glad you have more to accept that GAA is a single identity organisation with the odd person of difference attending both foreign and prods.

Hilarious the way you used 'more' and 'odd' there.

Speaks for itself really.

Not so remote me thinks. I don’t know a great deal about Irish culture but I always understood that fleadhs were very closely connected if not arranged by the GAA, but I stand to be corrected if they are not connected to each other. Maybe another poster would help us. What is for sure is that in the eyes of unionists they are as connected as nationalists think the 11th night is to the orange order. Maybe like the 11th and the OO they have zero direct connection.

but on to you other point. They contacted other clubs to let them know that one of the teams (yes one of the teams) were linked to Psni. Why? They didn’t discuss the other teams. Why?

take some responsibility

• Advertisement

OK I'll correct you. That event was NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAA so please stop deflecting.

As for your other point, if I told you that I'd had 3 weekend breaks this year, to Liverpool, Cork and Newcastle, would it be unusual if I pointed out to you that the Newcastle I'm referring to is in Co. Down and not in England?

Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann is an entirely separate organisation to the GAA.

Who has said that 11th night is 'connected' to the OO?

The OO is a constitutionally sectarian political organisation, there is no like organisation on these islands, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well you're right you don't know great deal.

But it's finally solved the puzzle to all those people to trying to buy tickets to see Eric Clapton at Wembley from West Brom FC.

Well it seems pretty obvious. I can only see one answer.

some within GAA must dislike associating with the Psni team, so someone done the decent thing and have them the heads up that ‘themuns’ will be at the tournament, so don’t turn up and complain or make a scene as you know in advance.

tbh the notification is no problem, it’s the fact the organiser thought it was needed that is very concerning

Who are 'themuns'?

Again you display the notion that YOU own the PSNI or that they 'belong' to you, and that it was an insult to 'yours'.

That is very revealing in itself.

And you still haven't explained the dichotomy here: were the PSNI going to play this tournament undercover? Why was it a problem that people knew who they were?

It's not and I think you know that. There are 2 clubs known as St. Michael's and there are 2 places called Newcastle.

You are desperately trying to dig and dig to find offence when the reality is that The PSNI team WERE INVITED to the tournament.

The fact is the PSNI pulled out. No one else did.

If they aren't comfortable being identified with their own organization. Then maybe they should improve that.

So the newspaper headline and article was at best ill-informed and at worst inflamatory.

With the truth finally out (from BOTH the club and the PSNI) what sort of mind turns "Clann na Banna GAA club invites PSNI team to take part in a tournament" into "GAA unchallenged exclusive behaviour" ??

Someone unable (and or unwilling) to see beyond their own social and geographical boundaries.

• Advertisement

For what it is worth a statement from CCEU

Now you are just being silly.

‘themuns’ were presumably the police

there was no problem anyone knowing. Indeed I affirmed to organiser for making the other teams aware the cops were coming if he thought it might present issues on the day when some cop haters discovered they were there and felt hoodwinked. All good sensible precautions given the concerns of the organisers

Excellent statement. Fair play to the organisers. That will do them the world of good in the eyes of the unionist community. Very clear courageous statement.

this is the way forward. Lead from the front.

I can now understand what you guys said about no connection between them and the GAA. The GAA could learn a lot from them. There is a statement they could reuse for the Ira singing at the all-island celebrations. Although they’d have to remove the bit about it being unaffiliated.

I am in real admiration of the ulster fleadh tonight.

You got it wrong again.

the problem for Unionism is it wants the right to celebrate but not allow others to do it and vice versa.

You either want all events that celebrate/commemorate to stop or find a way that it can be done without taunting and triumphalism or we go on like this.

As I said, nobody has issue with the 12th or indeed the 11th (I would have environmental issues) when participants are not sectarian, are respectful and cognisant of those who find it offensive.

Do you have environmental issues about private-schooled mary Lou flying around the world first class or are your issues just with the kids of working class areas who have the smallest carbon footprint of any people on the island ?

These things are getting bigger and bigger as the belligerent Unionist/Loyalist siege mentality grows and people are getting killed in the construction.

You praised leadership in CCEU a while ago, now you need to start pressuring your people to do something about a trend that has nothing to do with tradition. Beacons are the actual traditional way. Maybe co-work with the argi community to burn gorse and bracken...stuff like that. And of course, clamp down on the sectarianism which is also growing in viciousness in line with the siege mentality.

Leaders needed downcow.

I will respond to your attack again on my culture and then I will not be sucked off topic. There are topics dealing with the unionist celebrations.

you continually misrepresent the 11th night. Here is a wee video of my nearest one in kilkeel (a wee fishing village which posters on here say is 50/50) this is what the vast vast majority of 11th celebrations are like in ni

I am not the one denying anything I accept there are isolated incidents of bigotry and sectarianism at the 11th, at fleadhs and in GAA clubs We must all call them out

https://fb.watch/euyoyWeAW-/

now back to what the thread is about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

"Unionism doesn't have any issue because most fires don't have problems, the ones that do are, 'isolated incidents' despite constant examples every year of the lowest forms of bigotry at a significant number.....but a handful of incidents that tangentially involve the GAA are a sign of the end times and a total reflection of how awful themmuns are.....despite the THOUSANDS of GAA events that happen every year without incident"

Entirely reasonable argument as usual, Downcow.

Could the GAA do more? Certainly. Is there any extent they could go to that wouldn't still have the likes of Downcow permanently outraged? Probably not; sure when they don't have anything else to complain about, it's Italian flags, Munster flags, JD Sport bags.....

Evidence doesn’t support your post.

I have unequivocally complemented the ulster fleadh organisers for there statement. I would actually be warm about dipping my toe in a fleadh type event after hearing that. Some real good has come out of that incident. Every unionist I hear mention it is now saying fair play to the fleadh. It does of course shine the spotlight more on the silence from nationalist politicians and the silence from all nationalists about the most recent GAA incident (apologies not the most recent - I mean the one a couple of weeks ago on the platform)

so yes. I am open to convincing. Not sure you are though. Did you see much wrong with the 11th night video of kilkeel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Your double standard is self-evident, Downcow. You blatantly don't apply the same standards to GAA and 11th Night bonfires, despite the offenses on the 11th night being much more egregious than the GAA inviting a PSNI team who decided not to attend.

You dismiss every 11th Night incident as isolated incidents and try to make the point that the majority of fires pass without such incidents......yet you hold out a tiny handful of events (some not even actually connected to the GAA) out of the thousands of GAA events every year as represent of the whole. Why do you not view them in the same manner, as isolated incidents?

As for whether I'm open to convincing, you'll recall I actually shared a very positive example of a bonfire on the 12th thread. The Kilkeel video is an edited PR piece, I'd hardly expect them to include it in the video if there were flags and emblems being burned (to be clear, I'm not saying that there were any misdeeds specifically at the Kilkeel celebrations, purely that even if there were, that video would hardly show them. I'm aware that quite a few events pass without incident).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement