Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death penalty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

The punishment for rape "cut it off" The ultimate punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think people who would and are doing the state and it’s citizens harm.. 225 convictions… it’s not rewarding with supports that is required.

....so 'punishing' them even more, should sort it, yea?

No, just keeping them segregated from those they are set on hurting.

• Advertisement

yes, segregation is required at times, but its actually not a real treatment, with whatever sh1te thats going on in their head

• Registered Users Posts: 40,231 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Justice Keane adjourned the case to 21 October, when their pleas of mitigation will be heard

Sure no rush it has only been 6 years already. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Sure one of these yokes described the other two as "two gentlemen friends" - what would he call the chap with 200+ convictions when he get's 300+ convictions ?

gangs of supporters in court cheering them on and telling all how great they are, christ wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Supports :D Is the free house, free medical card, free transport, and free money not enough? What support should we give this young man to stop him having another 225 convictions then being involved in the vicious gang rape of a young woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

When we voted to abolish it in 1990 it was done so in a way that we couldn't reintroduce it again!

Time catches up with people like this & he'll meet his end sooner rather than later!

• Advertisement

Maybe it’s just pure latent badness..

that does exist.

what is free, if you mean government should be borrowing more, in order to provide more, then yes, but this wouldnt be free at all, far from it in fact, as those debts would need to be repaid, and with cherries on top to!

its clearly obvious there is something psychologically wrong with a person who behaves as such, odds on, they were showing signs of such for many years, so how about providing appropriate supports, in order to try prevent such outcomes, rather than waiting till such crimes are committed, maybe this would prevent such victims of crime, maybe!

badness, what does that even mean?

Anto, Tina and their ilk provide nothing in return for all the welfare and benefits that are thrown at them. Therefore it is free. They do not exchange their labour for wages. And worse they cause havoc and carnage all around them in return for everything that is handed to them, free of charge.

most citizens pay taxes in the form of consumption taxes, that includes 'anto' and co.! we could of course withdraw all supports for anto and co, and see what happens, im sure it would be fine!

Ah yes that classic argument. They don't pay tax, the government that hands money to them in exchange for nothing pays the tax.

And out of curiosity, what additional support are you advocating for a man who has 225 convictions and is a violent rapist?

once again, most citizens pay taxes, including the unemployed!

you will find with most of these cases, long term, and probably generational social and psychological problems are at play, most would require serious professional help from a young age, but most dont ever receive it, so.....

Once again, the tax "paid" is just the state recouping the money that has been given to the unemployed for nothing. Completely circular. No generation of wealth or income, therefore they aren't paying anything.

And again, what do you propose is given to this violent rapist now? Long term jail sentence, or a friendly hug and a promise he won't do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It really wouldn't. How much spent on appeals? How long would they be in prison before they're topped?

My big one is if you get the justice wrong one time in a trillion, once too much. You don't get to rewind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

"Hear-yee Hear-yee. We is guillotene some lads today in respect of our lord and savior"

Nah, not something I'd like to see. Life imprisonment instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The judge actually took the character references on board ? Twat

Here's a shocking concept. We're not America. Our culture is incredibly different, as is both our justice system, and our society itself. I'd be fine with considering somewhere like Singapore where the death penalty is applied for a variety of offenses, and they have one of the safest environments in the world.

Just because the US did something and screwed it up shouldn't be a basis for stopping any other attempts to do it better.

It's only that expensive due to the US system of justice. The legal profession has made it incredibly expensive...

There are many other countries around the world which employ the death penalty, and apply it for peanuts.

But as I said earlier.. it's not going to be allowed here, regardless of whether it could be cheaper or an effective form of dealing with crime. There's just too much opposition to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Obviously the death penalty is not coming back but sentencing is a real issue. No one should be capable of having 50 never mind 200+ convictions by the age of 25. They should have gotten a couple of years as a habitual offender where they could not commit crime. The public needs to be protected from these guys and sentencing should take that into consideration.

Also they must be fairly crap at what they do. They are fairly useless criminals of they have been caught 225 times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Put them on the landing in one of the toughest prisons in the country for a few weeks, that'll sort them out.

Any scumbag who's harming women,men or children in way's that'll destroy their lives deserve to be punished.

There was a time when I thought maybe they should get therapy and rehabilitation, that was when I hung around in circles of liberals and some of them worked on social services etc.

Changed my tune, because some of them were as nasty and sicker than the people who they were looking after. Telling each other about their service user's problems etc

No I think the best thing is let them live in obscurity and fear for the rest of their miserable existence. A lot of them have no remorse or take any inventory for the damage they cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

I agree but it costs a lot of money....there should be an element of them paying for their keep.....with physical labour etc

, I’m sure if you have a dictionary you can use it to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

No one that does the kind of stuff mentioned in the OP needs or should get supports they need timely consequences they can't get out of and won't like imo

Have you ever been randomly battered by one of these thugs?

There should be such a thing as law and order, there are many people from deprived areas with horrible upbringings etc etc that haven't and probably never will amass 225 convictions etc

Something is wrong and it's not in the main down to the lack of provision of support imo......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone i know (well, two people) came back from singapore with the same message: don't go there, it's *exceptionally* dull, you can be done for anything and everything. so the argument remains the same; punishment does not lead automatically to a better society. you're better off tackling the imputs and not the outputs. and yes, america remains the poster child for this, on how to get things wrong at an input level, which leads to things wrong at an output level.

or look at it another way, why not focus on societies with low rates of incarceration and low rates of crime, and figure out what they've done? surely the objective of a decent social and justice system is to prevent rather than punish crime; if you're preventing crime by punishing crime you're by defintion reactive rather than proactive?

• Advertisement

Singapore is a fantastic place to visit. Loads to do. Not sure how you could be bored there.

You can get in trouble for having chewing gum, so their laws are very strict. However the place is spotless and safe. The complete opposite of my last visit into Dublin City centre (last week) where I walked up Talbot Street which is overflowing with litter and I saw 2 people urinating in the street, and then went for a pint on Capel St only to have 2 lads openly dealing drugs to 3 junkees sitting on the path. The 2 lads looked like they came straight from the set of Love/Hate.

The absolute lack of Gardai, law enforcement, and appropriate jail time had turned North Dublin City into an awful kip. You wouldn't see any of the above in Singapore.

Advertisement