Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

wow..... big move

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/shock-in-galway-as-star-forward-shane-walsh-seeks-transfer-to-dublin-giants-kilmacud-crokes-41878878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

Didn't think students could transfer to a club in a county they are in college in?

Edit

Permanent Residence: Unless otherwise defined in Bye Law, a place of Permanent Residence of a person shall be the domestic property where (by reference to actual overnight presence, his own or his family’s ownership ofor tenancy in the property, his place of non-temporary employment, and such other factors as may be considered appropriate) the Council or Committee assessing the question considers his principal private residence to have been for at least the previous month and is likely for at least the ensuing year. 

Residence for the purpose of attending a Primary or Post Primary School or a Higher Education College shall not qualify as a Permanent Residence for the purposes of this Rule

Hibernia is generally high fees and part time so chances are he’d be working while doing the course. Probably pick up a good bit of teaching work while doing the course too. Not sure if that rule covers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hibernia is an online college …..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

Not in favour of it to be honest but it's not as if he's a 21 year old skipping off. He's 29 and has toiled away for a very long time on bad intermediate teams on his own and almost got them to senior. Having played on a team that had a plan of one lad checking (fouling) every single run he made and another two lads shadowing ready to foul, I can appreciate how annoying that must be every single club outing. The timings not good though. Don't think the chairman has covered himself in glory complaining to the media however. He's the worst of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

I wonder if he is still working with bank of Ireland and just transferred to Dublin while doing the course? He was working in a branch in salthill I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,393 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have seen people mention Clifford and his long term fitness concerns. What are these exactly? Has he got some health problem or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

The course is almost entirely online . Teaching practice can be done in whatever county he wants . Might have been handier just to transfer to Salthill/Knocknacarra :D

Kerry had 22 on the backroom staff. I know kerry group give Kerry a helping hand but now I know why Kerry people were one of the quieter people to have a go at Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Final point about O Rourkes

Just a few more linking Fitzmaurice to Meath management team in local and national media. The star newspaper linked Fitzmaurice to Meath management team last week, so did the Irish examiner also link Fitzmauice to Meath last week. LMFM, last week the main radio station in Meath and louth, North East, asked Colm O Rourke was their any substance to the huge rumours circulating Meath that Eamon Fitzmaurice and Donie Buckley were part of his management team. O Rourke didn't rule eitheir of them out and didn't deny it. O Rourkes management team at Simontowns when he won 2 county titles was 19. Kerrys was 22 when they won Sam last season. So O Rourke will have quite a substantial management team, probably biggest in Meath ever. He said it will take time to get everyone sorted out on management team. So I would say a few more weeks especially if O Rourkes team is up to 30 or plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

By far the two wealthiest counties, hey both have serious funds at their disposal.

Where did you see this btw? Would love to see what roles they had if it was in the public domain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not consider Kerry as in the top two wealthy counties. Mayo would have outspend us over the last 4-6 years I think.

Cork is the second biggest spending county in Ireland. Counties like Galway and Limerick have la he hurling budgets

Slava Ukrainii

Colm Keys in Indo.

If you scroll down Martin Rooney twitter page you can get reading it there too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are the backroom people still listed in the match day programme.

I posted on the Dominance of Dublin thread about it in 2020.

Here are the respective "backroom" listings from the 2020 programme

DUBLIN

Team Manager

Selector

Selector

Selector

Coach

Physiotherapist

Analysis Team

Kitman

Performance Dev. Coach

Media Manager

Goalkeeping Coach

Team Doctor

Physiotherapist

Kitman

Analysis Team

Sport Therapists

Nutritionist

Sport Therapists

Cameraman

Logistics

Nutritionist

Development Gym coach

Gym coach

Performance Consultant

Performance Consultant

Physiotherapist

Analysis Team

Team Doctor

Analysis Team

MAYO

Team Manager

Coach/Selector

Coach/selector

Goalkeeping Coach

Selector

S&C Coach

Statistics

Team Doctor

Physiotherapist

Physiotherapist

Kitman

Logistics

Statistics

Nutritionist

Performance Coach

Values & Behaviours Coach

Physiotherapist

Player Welfare

Technically could play for Dublin? Now wouldn't that be interesting. I'm a big fan of the guy and do wish him all the best! But I hope this move which is being attempted under BS Reasons is flat out rejected. It would be different if that lad was living and working up there of course. If such a high profile move is allowed for such ridiculous reasons them it could herald in a new era for elite club footballers moving clubs for monetary reasons. Ending up with big well financed city clubs looking like amalgamated inter County teams. Forever changing the landscape of the local club model.

Let alone the repercussions for his own club, particularly young lads coming up that hoped if they stuck at it! They could one day play with the great Shane Walsh. For what I hear it's not a massive club and this must be devastating for them.

A Move like this wouldn't even have be contemplated one time and for good reason but things have been on the slide awhile now with things loosening up a little and we end up here. With a big powerful wealthy club coming in for on of the best players in the country to help them secure a county championship and on to a club all ireland championship then. I wonder would it mean much to him!

I understand Galway people's support of him because of what he's done for his county but this move is borderline professional and should be thrown straight out, in my opinion anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Do you have a link saying its for monetary reasons? I've seen it mentioned a few times here and elsewhere but the article says nothing about money, yet you allude to it a few times in your post. So I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Not saying he has got paid but you don't really expect a newspaper article to state a player has received money for going to a club.

You won't get any newspaper saying a manager is getting paid for his role but we all know it happens at club and county level.

Fair enough and I take your point but is Walsh not already based in Dublin or is he potentially relocating from Galway to Dublin to play for Kilmacud?

• Advertisement

No I don't. Not that these things are every made public knowledge anyway. It is an assumption yes. But then again he could be travelling up to Dublin for his shear love of Kilmacud crokes.

he'll be a great addition to that Dublin forward line when he eventually transfers inter County too

That's what I was wondering. Would he line out for Dublin too. He would be some addition to them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Unlikely he would transfer to Dublin. Its a well worn path in fairness, McGeeney and another armagh player, possibly Justin mcnulty, played for a Dublin club for a few years while they were with armagh. Colm parkinson played with Parnells for a few seasons, not sure if he was playing for laois at the time. Cathal mccarron played for athy in kildare for 2 seasons while also playing with tyrone. No doubt there were/are many more

Your right there have been plenty, but this one is distinctively different. Normally an inter county player transfers to a different club because he's working in the area and travelling for both club and county training and games is to much, in this case the player would be doing it arseways and taking on travel to join a club. This is the closest thing we've seen to a soccer style transfer.

doing a bit of light hearted fishing there 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm sure he's going to be looking for a job after completing his course, maybe his plans are to work and live in Dublin. It's not rocket science, he will have more options in Dublin, can the young man not live his own life.

• Advertisement

why would have McGeeney and Mc Nulty transfer from Armagh to Dublin at that time? Armagh were ruling the roost in Ulster and serious all Ireland contenders every year, Dublin at that point weren't. Shane Walshes only chance of an all Ireland medal is if he transfers to Dublin

Advertisement