Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,561 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You still haven’t explained what was sectarian about the PSNI withdrawal.

why?

Because it wasn’t, unless you are saying the PSNI is all one religion or that it is representative of one community only.

A real faux pax there downcow and revelatory of the ever present suprematist attitude. ‘Our wee police force’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am the one applying the same standards to both.

for clarity, I don’t believe that there are ira songs or racism at every GAA game. Absolutely not. I am confident they are fairly isolated incidents in the same way as burning effigies on bonfires. I think both GAA and OO are cold houses for the ‘other side’. I believe both sides politicians don’t call it out enough. What no one can argue about is that unionists have got much better at calling out their own side eg the orange hall singing. Nationalist politicians remain remarkably silent on eg the GAA all-island wining team singing Ira songs. I hope they will soon step up

It’s all about our definitions of sectarian. I would equally say it was sectarian if the OO looked unfavourably on the alliance party because they perceived they were doing Sinn Féin’s work. That would not mean I thought alliance were catholic.

mad already stated you are hiding behind a dictionary definition of sectarian. I am using the common definition of sectarianism in ni

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You're a lost cause, Downcow. You genuinely can't see that you repeatedly play down anything on the Orange side......and then go around starting threads on a MUCH less common issue because it is 'themuns'. We'll leave it there.

So basically ‘sectarianism’ is a movable feast for you and therefore meaningless.

Hilarious.

• Advertisement

I started a thread a week or two ago specifically identifying a brutal sectarian murder of a lovely young catholic man by members of my community. It has been closed down. Can you point to any thread started by a republican about republicans killing a young Protestant man.

unfortunately you are blinded. It’s sad really.

Your dictionary definition does not fit in ni. By your definition the most sectarian people are decent Roman Catholics like mother theresa. I think everyone knows that is nonsense. The definition is much more nuanced in ni

but let us agree to differ on this one. I am not going down a rabbit hole on it. I am finished responding to this nonsense on defining sectarian

Bullshit. Some Unionists brandish the 'sectarian' stick at anything that moves. Totally devalued now everytime you rant about it. EG, the PSNI incident.

Nothing, absolutely nothing sectarian about it, here, there or in NI.

I don’t know why I allow myself to get sucked into this nonsense when we both know right well that you understand.

but tell me this? There is plenty of research, and we all also know anecdotally, that in rural areas where there are two shopping towns within easy reach that most catholics shop in the predominantly catholic town and prods in the predominantly prod town. These towns are by no means exclusively one or other.

Would you agree that stems from sectarianism? Or are you going to continue to argue that unless the towns were 100% one or other it can’t be sectarianism?

Jesus WTF?

Talk about devaluing a word because want to use it willy nilly as a perjorative when it suits you.

Would finding an Irish bar or a British one on your holliers be 'sectarian' then downcow?

I live on the border and people go to shop where the bargains/choice are predominately and where they feel welcome and comfortable.

What towns are you talking about btw? Are they the ones bedecked with symbolism and proudly announcing 'we own this wee town' at certain times of the year by any chance?

• Advertisement

yes francie regarded by many that lots of our daily choices are impacted by a deep subtle unconscious sectarianism that runs through most of us here. It’s improving but it will take generations to eradicate.

I live equal distance between Newry and Lisburn. I can assure you that the ‘go to’ town for local catholics is Newry and for prods is Lisburn. Of course we all do occasionally be in the other. You make a really good point (which demonstrates that deep down you understand). You say “Are they the ones bedecked with symbolism and proudly announcing 'we own this wee town’”. Of course that is part of it. But what you need to work harder on is seeing the chill factors to ‘others’. You arrive in Lisburn and you notice the flags, the ni football shirts and all the little tell tail signs that you are not among your own (NB I am aware of them also).

I arrive in Newry and I see the GAA flags, the GAA shirts and all the little tell tail signs that I am not among ‘my own’. (NB you are completely oblivious to the messages nationalist towns send out).

you have a way to travel to be aware. I’ve said it before, many in your community have not yet arrived at square one.

ps I have just noticed this sentence from you “I live on the border and people go to shop where ………. they feel welcome and comfortable.” This is very astute. You now need to do some work on your selective observation skills. A little challenge for you - next time you are in your local town, have a wee look around and see what you can spot that, if Downcow visited, would tell him he was in a nationalist dominated town. Might be the old election posters still up? might be the sports gear on the shop rails eg could you buy a ni or rangers top? Might be the gear kids are wearing? Might be the flags up for the local team achieving? Etc etc etc.

id love to hear the results of your study.

the big challenge for most nationalists, and still some unionists, is to start to notice how their towns, clubs, schools, etc have loads of chill factors for the other.

that is not to say everything needs changed - that’s just diversity, but awareness is very important

….as for selecting bars. At one level a strange one for you to raise. In ni context, selecting bars is very very often influenced by sectarianism. You have the benifit (or otherwise) of living in an area dominated by your community background. I guess you happily can use all the bars. It would be very different if you lived in a mixed area - I can assure you your unconscious sectarianism would strongly influence your decision. I live in a almost exclusively nationalist town and sectarianism means I choose bars in neighbouring towns.

I am maybe starting to realise where your naivety stems from

downcow, this is one of the most ridiculous and bizarre posts you have written.

You are a product of a tradition that marks territory and cannot see that.

An 'odd election poster' tells you that you are in a 'nationalist dominated place'???? Kids in sports tops???

This is all a 'sectarian' display to offend or intimidate you???

Have you any idea how abnormal that view of the world is?

You are clearly living in a siege bubble.

You completely misquote me again. I think anyone will see that, so no need for me to elaborate.

we are all the product of a 30 year bloody sectarian conflict and we are passing it on to our children. It’s what happens after most conflict, especially when the territory is still disputed and national/cultural identities are still under question and groups on both sides are still agitating

you try to play it all down. Just look at the last few weeks

is it normal for:

• people to sing a song about a young woman being murdered?
    • people to burn flags on bonfires?
    • for a prominent team wining a national competition to celebrate by singing a song about attempting to murder police officers?
    • a festival billed as family friendly to culminate in a crowded bar of young people singing support to an organisation that killed their neighbours parents?

unfortunately it is you that is in the bubble you think one side are angels and the other demons Oh if only life was that simple

I didn't say 'one side are angels' downcow.

I said that what you identify as sectarian is often invariably not sectarian at all.

You STILL haven't explained why you think the PSNI withdrew because of 'sectarianism'.

This is like a primary school class

Elements within the GAA dont like that the PSNI as it is majority prod (sectarianism), and they struggle to detach it from the RUC who were even more predominantly prod (sectarianism). The organisers of the tournament clearly are of a different opinion and invited the PSNI team. They realised that there may be individuals attending who would complain on the day that they didn't know that the team from the predominantly prod organisation was coming (sectarianism) so the organisers rightly thought they should head off these (sectarian) individuals at the pass, by informing them in advance. The PSNI team obviously are aware of the Sectarian elements and rightly had no interest in suffering any sectarian protests that may await so pulled of the event.

Now I am not responding anymore to this denial nonsense

There are people the world over who would have difficulty with ‘peelers’ and that is not sectarian. It’s anti authority.

You feel ownership of the PSNI and therefore took insult on their behalf. The ‘our’ wee province syndrome writ large tbh.

That is another siege bubble symptom.

Along comes a tweet and replies that underlines why the conversation should be about finding ways to allow people to commemorate/celebrate their own with respect rather than the pointless pointing over there at 'themuns' approach. Really, Foster needs to have a bit more responsibility and a dollop of self awareness. This is just low level trolling tbh.

• dc, have you ever spent any time in Ireland / the South ? Say a few weeks or longer ? Genuine question because it doesn't take long to realize that no-one cares a jot where you're from or what top you've on. We've lived so long in the NI siege mentality bubble that everything and I mean everything is taken as a comment on the border - and the rest of the island never mind the rest of the world just isn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

JD Sports (in Newrys main shopping centre) has rangers and Northern Ireland football tops on display in the window.

Newry is absolutely packed with people from across the border every day

99% of them couldn't give a **** what area they are in or whats on display in the shops. Going by the ques to sainsburys and off licences, good chance there up saving money on drink

• Advertisement

The 'our wee town' attitude not to mention the shocking misuse of the 'sectarian' word again.

A fair bit of time.

I agree a fair bit with what you are saying. My comments were about ni. I realise many in the south have moved in but it would be naive to think everyone is detached from the tribal crap up north.

I agree I think it would be unlikely to hear Ira songs on sporting platforms etc.

certainly still huge prejudice against my community in elements of roi population but that’s not surprising and completely understandable. Many in my community have huge prejudice against all southerners which I continually challenge. The ra supporting southerners are in my view a small minority whereas my community think they are typical.

to say there are no issues of sectarianism in roi would be like saying there are none in Scotland

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• For every William Smyth up in arms there seem to be a fair few watching and participating without a problem, which is a very good sign.

Absolutely Carmen Substantial Revolution.

Not everyone lives in a siege bubble in NI waiting to rant about things that are not sectarian.

They want to live together respectfully.

The 'William Smyth's' and his/her counterparts need to leave the stage and let them get on with it.

Yes absolutely. Great to see Irish culture being so warmly welcome in strongly unionist areas. This is something I have been arguing on here for some time. Whether it’s republican parades in kilkeel, Gaelic football played in east Belfast or Irish dancing in Lisburn or uup party conference. It’s excellent and to be encouraged, and I agree the William smiths are small in number. maybe thats part of why people like francie feel comfortable in unionist areas

the challenge is to get the Liam Smyth’s to follow suit and welcome ulster-British culture in the same way To have some of our culture being welcome to Newry square on an ordinary shopping day would do wonders the remove the nationalist ‘our wee town’ syndrome. Just this weekend my culture had to hold their event at the roundabout outside my local nationalist town (downpatrick) in case it may hurt Liam Smyth’s eyes. We have also endured several attacks on our culture in our locality over the last days

so yes let’s stand up and call out the William Smiths and the Liam Smyths and work towards respect and inclusion

maybe a sunglass company could invent glasses that cut out ulster-British culture and we could offer these to Liam Smyths in downpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can't believe there are posters on here defending the sectarian intimidation that resulted in a PSNI team withdrawing from a competition.

The least they could do is acknowledge that it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Dinosaurs Blanch. They dont see it because they don't want to see it.

The GAA really need to get with the times here as an organisation. There should be zero tolerance for any sectarian guff. Clubs that engage with that stuff should be kicked out of the GAA.

The 'GAA' invited this team to the tournament and have had them playing in tournaments and competitions for a long time.

The reported reason for them withdrawing is a few other team members referred to them as 'peelers'.

The same thing could happen with a Garda team, a British or US police team etc.

Where or how was the GAA 'sectarian'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

@blanch152 This is what I am on about I'm my previous post. They just don't want to know or hear about it.

• Advertisement

So you just want to talk to blanch and can't point to where the 'GAA' was sectarian here.

Ok, understood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement