Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A fairly poor week to come with spells of rain or showers at times and temperatures generally staying in the teens for the most part. A poor bank holiday weekend weatherwise. There are signs that things will become more settled and hopefully warmer in about a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Raining a sup now in North Kilkenny. But lovely warm rain, summer rain☺️ Just in from doing a circuit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Absolutely p*ssing it down here in Carrigaline. Co. Cork for the last while. What it did do was clear that crappy high sapping humidity earlier and last early AM / all night.

Ah well .. plus ça change

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Same, went for a nice long walk in the rain, so long since we got some rain, though likely won't add up to a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Is it just me or did Met Eireann either underestimate the wet or not articulate well the weather for Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They made a right mess of it. I watched the weather yesterday and the south East was supposed to be lovely all day. I am not in the south East more the North East but I can tell you it has been miserable here all day :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

We're lucky with the summer in our location Robert. If being fussy could do with more sun but there's been so much dry pleasant weather that it's a nice Irish summer. You can nearly hear the grass grow with the rain!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is a write off in Meath, drizzle all morning after heavy showers earlier on. Moderate steady rain for the past hour. A day to stay inside.

One of the biggest underestimations by Met Eireann occurred on this Bank Holiday weekend 25 years ago.

The Friday of the Bank Hol Weekend was warm with hazy sunshine. Fronts in Biscay were forecast to skirt the south west and south coast over the weekend. The fronts went as far north as Sligo! 3 days of torrential rain followed south of that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Haha yeah, good weather here is the rain.

It indeed has been a nice summer in these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Having a look about the country on the metars ,Waterford for example just 3km vis in mist with Cloud at 200feet with recent rain. Soft day for sure in parts.

EIWF 301630Z 23012KT 200V270 3000 BR BKN002 17/16 Q1016 RERA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Lashing rain in West tipperary.

Goodbye summer 2022, you've been crap

Bring on the Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Now this is a dreary grey cloudy day!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Remember it well. There were doing a job on strengthening banks of a local river and they left a few big holes in the banks over that weekend. Water level rose quickly due to the rain, and the banks were rendered useless due to the holes, it caused a serious amount of flooding of land in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Too right they did absolutely gobs**tes.

I booked Tayto Park for today as it was meant to be the 'best' day of weekend.

We got up this morning to heavy rain and 6 year old was crying 😢.

It was meant to clear by 12pm of rain, never happened.

Thankfully from 12pm-4pm while it rained constantly it was only drizzly.

Torrential rain though from 4pm onwards.

Yes we brought all the rain gear, so we were better off than loads of people and we still had a great day, but I would never have booked today if that was the weather we were going to get.

Fair play to the girl who gave us one last shot on Teddy Bear game and saved the day as we won a big Teddy to bring home.👏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tell me about it Gonzo, spent the day in your part of the world visiting Tayto Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Not be bad of a day here northwest of Gorey. Was wet early this morning, got out for a run and it was dry until around 5pm. Haven't been following the weather this week so wasn't expecting a wet evening. Probably should have cut the grass when it was dry but hopefully tomorrow will have dry spells and will get around to it then. But you can almost see the grass growing this evening. The rain is badly needed around here so won't complain but its so humid and sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Are you serious?!!

Had to double and trebble-check the date when I read this!

Sky's been on the ground here with constant very heavy drizzle the whole day.

12mm so far, the first full wet day in what feels like months.

Lit the fire for the first time since May.

More to dry the pervasive dampness than for heat.

Annoying me as this rain didn't show on either the forecast or on the radar at all.

Was it actually a sunny day in Galway?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Sorry to hear about your woes!

Abysmal driving conditions this evening, just after getting in from Dublin, lots of surface water and spray on the motorways. The next 4 days look very wet with up to 35 or 40mm of rain in places. A traditional Irish August bank holiday.

However looking on the positive side we should see a big improvement in the weather in about a week with plenty of warm and hopefully dry conditions. Could do with another prolonged settled spell after todays rain and the rain of the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Wastnt just ME.

YR (usually very accurate with short term rain here) forecast a dry day for us, with rain to come at 9pm.

Been pouring all day and we've had 12mm so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

ME have been phoning it in this week. Between this and Joanna's 23. Something as she called it as a daily maximum the other day.

Once it doesn't happen within 10 miles of Glasnevin/Donnybrook it doesn't seem to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Rained stopped here in Carrick about an hour ago, not much fell but needed rain in my opinion, i do hope we have a few more warm days before summer is out, evenings have gotten shorter but it won't be long before the sun loses it's heat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Drought definitely over in Kildare. Teeming down atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Missing out on a lot of the rain here in south Laois with just over 4mm recorded since 10am.

We had some rain last night that dropped 1.6mm.

Fairly dry here (just a few bits of drizzle) up until after 4pm then a soft but steady fall of rain since.

First proper rain since July 1st. (Over 2mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Depression descending all day here, almost like the clouds came down to sit on the ground, miserable muck. West Clare happy skutter holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just came back from three weeks in Majorca this afternoon.

21 days without rain and each day in the low thirties.. blissful.

But I was happy enough to get back to a living temperature. Couldn't even do something basic down there without sweating... And as for the constant SPF routines..

I'd find an entire summer of that very very draining.

Still noone likes to see wet August bank holiday weekends or forecasts for consecutive days of rain midsummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭BagofWeed

Been another horrible Cork City summer. Dreary and cloudy all the time but today we had rain added to the rotten mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

These waving frontal features are notoriously difficult to pin down, sometimes goes to the wire like today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Worse day here in South West Dublin well since the last Bank Holiday except it was the Sunday which was the washout back in June

Advertisement