Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I just came across this article today…

it states “Using the average NFS suckler beef farm (stocking rate = 1.36 LU/ha), carbon sequestration could offset 46% of the emissions”

Has this carbon sequestration been taken into account already? Or does anyone give a shite, and they just want to reduce the GHG emissions by 25%?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are a lot of people employed in and by that farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I don't think they have counted it and probably won't unless you plant more trees or something so it's new sequestration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You reckon stocking the milking platform at 6 plus cows ha is a more environmentally friendly system and less polluting then 5 150 cow farms stocked at the national average of circa 2.75 cows ha on milking platform?

It's a pretty sh**ty hill to pick to die on defending that particular example of a affected dairy herd

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

There's a lot of sh*t on that hill alright with 6 cows per ha on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Way things are looking I'd say the state are looking to hold and use any carbon sequestration figures for themselves

We have circa 15 acres of habitat on farm here was always leaving it untouched thinking it would come in to play to help with emissions and carbon credits, with the bollocking the government is at, we are going to clear the lot and get it back into grass, we are in one of the special areas for the new acres and qualify for it, I reckon down the line they'll designate this ground as a sac and try limit what can be farmed around it, reading about the Netherlands farmers that put in habitats and wildlife belts the whole farm is been swiped now because of these areas

Imagen dropping a few million on a AD plant drastically reducing your cows methane emissions and not getting any allowance for carbon/methane sequestered over a base cow figure that's slurry is spread on land....

It's time to just play the cute hoor, they want agriculture crippled altogether and want us to go broke trying to comply with whatever vision they dream up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The vision is to drastically reduce the number of farmers in the country. Farmers still can’t see that and are trying to be accommodating to the never ending demands. Long term, farming in Ireland will be large scale industrial, with employees rather than family farms. Pretty much all politicians hate family farms as they have too much power (although they don’t know it).

The vision is to have a food supply in the hands of corporations, which traditionally politicians prefer to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's it. Don't go broke, take it handy. A few cows and and a few followers. Draw any euro that's going. I personally think it might help farmers. No young person wants to take over from a maniac running from morning to night, who can't help themselves from renting/buying more land/cows. There has been a few farmers took there own lives around here lately, what's it all for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I'd be very slow about doing anything now, I was planning on cutting cow numbers here but I think I'll hang on for a while to see what shite they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

See....that's a big problem if true if you ask me..

Being reasonable and fair when you deal with people goes a long way.....

It does, even if untrue it's still a problem because it shows how poorly the whole calcilulations and targets etc. have been explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I had a German student here a while back that had something like 100 cows and an AD plant at home. He said more time and effort went into the plant than the cows. They got big grants but regretted putting it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Saw a 2016 paper published on the German experience of AD plants on Twitter recently - not good, issues with costs, methane leakage and displacement of food crops and nature areas. I always suspected the economics and environmental credentials of it were ropey and on a par with the biofuel scam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There may be some hair brained idea by the greens as part of the package in AD's being given permission here is that they will only be allowed in grass growing areas and that grass and multi species sward feedstocks will only be allowed as per the planning permission requirements. Another stipulation is that no fertiliser is allowed be spread on the feedstock areas.

They really have no idea what they're doing. It's been made up on the fly. The idea was that the country needed biogas but then they looked at what occurred in areas with biogas and decided they'd try and break the mold and put a green wishy washy slant on it. None of this will work. There's a reason rye and maize is grown for Anaerobic Digestors and it's because per kg of feedstock it's multiples more efficient than grass. Could be in the region of 20 times more effective. (There was a graph presented back in johnstown castle pre covid at an AD info day).

That's 20 times more land required and twenty times more loading the plant required. Teagasc have now opened a plant run on grass silage to see if the figures are wrong from other countries. Meanwhile the country has just agreed these are going ahead with the terms and conditions above and will contribute to reducing energy emissions.

Edit : If per kg of feedstock it's 20 times more productive. It'll be more than 20 times more land required as these are more bulky crops than zerograzed grass or multispecies swards. Again this is all on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The burden of compliance from regulations here now & no doubt yet to come will get too much for many with under 100 cows milking & cause them to consider keeping at it or not especially if there's no obvious successor .

This will go some small way to numbers being reduced & big outfits will face difficulties getting any bigger.

At the end of the day, they will use figures however they like to suit any narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

On the ad plants above, a few BIG fellas with money to invest will make even more money from any wrong decisions by the man with the bicycle, taxpayer's picking up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

The handiest thing to do if they come around checking stuff is to tell them to f**k off for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I don’t understand it fully either but I have seen enough very informed posters bring this up again and again so there is definitely something in it.

• Advertisement

They can enter your house to search for fertilizer documents without a warrant under the new rules coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I think that or something like that could finally be a bridge to far finally

They have it already if they suspect you're doing anything illegal

What sort of acreage is needed even with maize and rye to feed one.

Would the acreage of many Irish farms be enough. I wouldn't like to invest on the basis of the neighbours growing crops.

Maybe Comrade Ryan feels different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Bout 1,000 acres per Mw of output is the bench mark. Depends on feedstock yield as they can't run short and the silage seems too go off at year 3 even if in a 100 sealed clamp.

They're also constantly feeding activated charcoal and enzymes and the like to keep the right bugs happy. More so needed with grass as proteins too high and the N really affects the methanogen bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

From this 2013 paper, AD was found to be less profitable than beef or sheep.

That's not saying much for it, and even before the extra inefficiencies you highlighted.

I think you're right about the 20 times extra land needed, not to mention the emissions from the haulage of feedstock, or the depletion of soil organic matter.

AD from grass in Ireland is simply madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wouldn't be able to answer the acreage required. Depends on size of the plant and what other sources are available. You will still need some slurry/wet stuff in the mix. There'd have to be contracts wrote up with suppliers.

I think Mr.Ryan mentioned community plants.

It's all very aspirational without much practicality thought after occurring yet.

They do add water but there's almost enough from the silage, the digestate is essentially like all a cows waste products mixed together at about 4/5percent solids alot of them put through a seperator so it doesn't build up in storage tanks. Your not far off 1:1 of what goes in to the plant vs being spread back on land and they like to jazz it up with waste fruit and the like if possible a usual mix is 2/3 Maize, Rye, Triticale ,Grass they're less fussy on mould as sheer volume waters it down but Dry matter needs to be to a certain spec. Silage gets tested for it's theoretical gas production potential.

Even community based plant would need sufficient suppliers within a reasonable radius to be viable.

It sounds like a lot more should have been done before setting aspirational targets for any sector. Setting targets is grand but you should have some idea of how they can be met otherwise your setting up for failure.

• Advertisement

Another thing is without a widespread gas mains system you need an engine to burn it on site for electricity and the esb wont give connections for anything essentially. In the uk now they prefer to clean up the gas and inject into the mains as more profitable, they can also clean off co2 and sell it from the tanks. So much one off housing makes district heating hard.

Advertisement