Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's funny cause I think Diaz will replace Firmino as in works his arse off, full of skill but we'll be annoyed at his lack of goals

Nunez will replace Mane, always lively, build up play can be annoying but will always pop up with a goal

Salah will be Salah unbelievable

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I don't think there is any justification for offloading Firmino right now. Opinion in this place always seems split on him.

To push City and contest on all fronts we need the depth and quality he provides.

He works so fluidly in the klopp system that it would just be crackers to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Musiala might be a better target than Bellingham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

The rule says one hand if you're in control of the ball, Adrian was never close to being in control of the ball.

The picture you've chosen makes it look like he is but if you look at other angles of the same shot you see he doesn't have the ball in his hands despite the angle this picture is taken from implying he is.

Adrian is a useful training ground squad member but that's it. His days of being good enough to play in the first team are long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Only watched the 1st half today, er were going well at the break. A good result, in the context of its better to win these games than it is to lose them, but apart from that it's largely meaningless.

Good to get Darwin off the mark, in a manner of speaking anyway, and if Haaland missing chances piles a bit of pressure on his shoulders then all the better.

Overall though, not an important game in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I could see him going further back to midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks really excellent alright, though maybe more of an attacking midfielder... Bellingham feels like a potential Henderson replacement, so maybe a better fit. Also, it always seems fierce bloody hard to get German's out of Bayern (though admittedly he did spend some years in english academies before moving back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Kelleher is ranked ahead of him. That says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What is it with all these keeper experts who know more than Klopp and his staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Missed the second half,any chance of throwing up a highlights reel of Nunez cameo role this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Strong handshake there Rush, don't break him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I know there has been a lot of comment how our rivalry with City the past few years has been a friendly rivalry. I think this is down to the managers as they will not join in the antics like Mourinho did, or they will not attempt mind games like Ferguson and Wenger did back in the day. But I think there is a genuine dislike between the players of the 2 clubs. That is why any match between the teams, even a glorified friendly, will have some spice in it.

Also, what were the City players moaning about with the handball? They were all surrounding the referee and pointing up the field for some reason.

I'm guessing they where saying about Matip

They never showed a replay but there was a cross from the left & Matip slipped in our box and it looked like the ball his his hand ,For some reason no replay was shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I assume they were whinging about Matip's clearance earlier which hit his hand after he had stooped down to head it. That was never a penalty as it came off his head first and hit his arm which was planted on the ground. Man City do love a handball shout while thinking they're allowed handle the ball as they please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

City scored form that passage of play so the potential Matip handball was irrelevant. If the ball had to have gone out of play before the City goal I'm sure it would have been reviewed and the ref asked to look at it. But it's one of those incidents that nothing can be done until the ball goes dead....City players knew this and were just trying to put Mo off with their antics, thankfully it didn't work!

My biggest take from yesterday was of City

I think there going to look very different this year, Haaland really changes how they play more so then when Bobby doesn't play for us,

I think Sterling & Jesus will be big misses, they seems to lack intensity in there attack, I know its pre-season and early for them but Grealish & Marhez aren't as direct, they tend to take more touches than the two they have lost, City's quick one & two touch passing around the box is what kills teams,

City's defence has been brilliant but i don't think they have brilliant defenders ,its more of case of them keeping the ball so well they have very little defending to do but if they give up more control in games by Haallnd not being there extra midfielder that may be exposed more,

They will still beat the majority of side in the league with ease & Haalan will score loads of goals but i think they may drop more points this season than they have previously ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the charity shield is a totally meaningless match as was demonstrated by Mr Tyler's totally lacklustre commentary, no wait that tells us nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Martin Tyler loves to take a Xanax just before a Liverpool match. Just so he doesn’t get too excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Agreed. When he signed some people seemed to think he'll be playing as a 12th man to finish off all the chances that their dominant midfield create, when obviously he'll be replacing their false 9 so they won't control games as much. It's a trade-off. Just like Utd signing Ronaldo - yes he'll score loads of goals but he's going to take away from other aspects of his team's game.

You can see why last summer Pep wanted Kane , he'd have got him his goals & his ability to drop deep would have helped retain the ball,

He will obviously still be a massive problem & get goals, He should have had two yesterday but was interesting that bar his 2 chances City didn't create anything really, ( there goal & Haaland last chance are down to the keeper, )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He was a genuinely awkward looking fit yesterday. Even if he had scored two.

It's so odd to see any City player simply standing idle waiting for the opportunity to run in behind. That was all he was doing. He didn't really link, he didn't really look for touches.

He'll help destroy teams who aren't anywhere near City's level, simply because he's not needed to control the game.

As I said during the game, he doesn't make City any scarier for elite teams, and unless Pep works a miracle on him, he's not going to help them control games the same way that we're used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Lots of commentary in advance of Haaland signing questioning his suitability to a Pep team. Yesterday played out exactly as had been mooted. Will be a fascinating season if City struggle to find a way to get max value from their heralded signing. How far do they stray from their systems to accommodate him? At what stage do they even start trying, or do they only try to bend Haaland to their style. Can't wait for the season to start, first time in a couple of years that City are potentially weaker this year than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d agree with this about Haaland being more of a flat track bully for City. When we face them in the league, I don’t expect to see him starting. There are a few reasons for that, with one being the fact that VVD has every tool needed to deal with him.

But mainly, like you said, he’s not going to help you control the game and against the stronger teams in the league like ourselves and Chelsea, they won’t get away having a passenger up top. It all really depends on how quickly he can be coached into a more involved striker, he’s still very young so he has that in his favour. We’re probably going to need to do a similar thing with Nunez. Any decent defender will know how to deal with a forward who’s a weak passer or dribbler, and it’s fair to say both have room for improvement in that area.

• Advertisement

That’s very interesting about the approach to penalties. Love the way the team is coached in every minute detail of the game, to gain an advantage anywhere one exists, no matter how small. Each marginal gain on its own isn’t going to drastically improve your points total at the end of the season, but when you add them all up, it certainly can be enough to improve your position in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The ref had to take ederson out of his face, obviously man City are trained in what to do when they concede a penalty.

Hopefully we start strong and pull away fast, we'd never be caught with a decent lead. How on earth did Man City not plan a preseason, weird. We are clearly ahead in mind and fitness, hopefully we can gain an early advantage. We seem more determined than ever this time round, which is crazy considering how determined we already have been

Goals are harder to come by in PL, and Haaland hasn't even come close to a golden boot in Bundesliga, hasn't even made top 2. He did have a great publicist, though, all hype and no substance, we'll see in time though. What he does do regularly is miss a lot of games, 33 games in last 3 season, 16 last season alone. Jury is still out for me, we'll see .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I completely missed the game , thought it was today. Was it a decent game or more pre season friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Massive disclaimer first, in that I missed the first half, but what were people's opinions on Luis Diaz? He seems.. wasteful. The Final ball seemed lacking; he'd either hold onto the ball too long, or overhit his pass. This would have been my only criticism of him from last season, and (again, judging from what I saw in the 2nd half) he's not improved in that regard even after having a full preseason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I thought this myself when they were in for him, I also thought a similar thing when Utd signed Ronaldo last season, Haaland will score goals that’s for sure, but will he add goals?

Judging by yesterday and from what I’ve seen of him before (which is limited to be honest) he’s a big guy up top who will thrive against smaller teams… but these are games city routinely win 4 or 5 nil anyway.

What’s also telling is city have offloaded some great players which is obvs to satisfy FFP, I for one think they’re weaker now because of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Haaland will definitely improve City, without a shadow of a doubt. He'll be a colossus for them once he familiarizes himself with the team style and the league.

Bobby confirms himself that he is not leaving and Juve were never interested or made a bid.

Proper full throttle game, no mercy whatsoever. It mattered in the moment, only the Charity Shield but City were bitter afterwards, nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Liverpool now the best in standing in the way.

Game changer .

He needs to play one pass more at times, he tends to have ball in great area, them he will move ball, try to make space and shoot, with men in front of him,. Mane was more likely to make a little pass, move around those men into space, then score or shoot freely, when it comes off, which is did countless times... that's what Firmino is for, that final little link up.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Agree completely what you say about Mane, the quick one-two with Bobby or Robbo to make space for a shot. I've lost count the amount of times Diaz will cut inside, drag the ball across the edge of the peno area and then shoot into a sea of bodies. Of course I'm conscious this is just one game, but it's concerning nonetheless that that aspect of his game remains. I guess we'll see as the season progresses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the right occasionally.

I was concerned about the end product last season even though he is very dynamic.

Anyway, we shall see. If people around him are clinical, maybe his dynamism will be enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

There's the Bobby interview for the Portuguese speakers among us

He ain't going nowhere...

I think Nunez will bed in with us quicker due to the fact we are a lot more direct than City,

City as we know are built around that extra pass or two and players popping and overloading teams, due to how flexible the are,

Our full backs & even CB ping long passes for quick counters where ever possible

One thing that want mentioned much yesterday was Robbo

94th minute in first game of the season and he's heading a ball just at the edge of there 6 yard box in a game we are already winning, the man is an absolute machine

His intensity & workrate is phenomenal, i genuinely think he'd be way more revered in the game if he didn't happen to play in the same side as RB who's changed that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think that he will become more refined as he beds into the group. When Mane first arrived there a lot of running down blind alleys in his game, his saving grace was his lightning pace and reaction times. Coutinho and Firmino had their own level of understanding and Mane wasn't part of it. The link up play with Firmino and Salah was established in his second season and that's when he became a 20+ goals a season player.

Walker is considered one of the best right backs in world football and will proably start for England ahead of TAA yet Diaz made a show of him yesterday and never gave Walker a second to attack he had to play on defence and that stopped a lot of Citys ability to attack down the right handside.

Actually Diaz's non stop running also freed up Robbo a bit more as Diaz was pinning Walker back letting Robbo have a bit more freedom.

Diaz is going to be a monster in this team and I say Klopp just loves his work rate and non stop running.

As I’ve said here before, Diaz is genuinely elite in defence. Not in the way he could play at left back, but he’s as good a defensive winger as you’ll see in modern football. He could probably do a job at wingback if we played such a system, but that’s not likely to happen under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Actually Diaz's non stop running also freed up Robbo a bit more as Diaz was pinning Walker back letting Robbo have a bit more freedom.

That happened in one of the Champions League games against Benfica last season. Diaz was turning the defenders inside out so they doubled up on him and it freed up Tsimikas to pick out balls into the centre and also left Firmino with fewer players to contend with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Chat that Bernardo Silva is off too. That City squad is already undergoing a fair bit of churn in vital areas, him leaving would be another hugely influential player out the door, I hope it happens. He's a great player.

Our relative squad continuity could be vital this season.

Advertisement