Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Stunning watch, congratulations with the purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

That was the marine I sold to you... The other one went to one of the guys who left the forum... I got it in their used and checked sale for like 600 euro and passed it on at same price... I actually had another marine after that with the unitas movement but sold that to.. I gotta stop selling watches...or maybe buying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

That marine is still here, miss it dearly - great watch. RMDrive I think has it still

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Today a mate of mine told me of an auction of Buzz Aldrin's personal items from his Apollo days and how much the stuff was going for. He reminded me I have the below*. Oh how I need a Speedy right about now. Aw well any chrono will have to do, 😁 and it is the same year as this so...

*The Plugs Out test that led to the accident of Apollo 1 where three astronauts lost their lives because of the pure oxygen atmosphere driven fire in the spacecraft. A terrible tragedy that rock America, the world and NASA. One borne of a mix of hubris, complacency and a need to beat the Soviets. As a result of this accident and the report that exposed that, NASA shook everything and introduced checks and balances that ultimately led to the successful landings on the Moon.

This checklist I have is from a launch director(signed on front) used by him on the very day of this test. Annotations within aburptly stop after the step when the fire happened. Even the remaining pages are paler. 50 quid, only bidder on an ebay auction ten years ago. I didn't even cop the date until I had it in my hands. Hairs on the back of the neck time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How did I miss this! That's noooice E.

I'm glad you didn't too. 😁 That dial is lush.

OK 893, I know this question is like some random person walking up to a Ferrari driver and asking "nice, but what's it like on petrol?", but... What's the lume like? It looks like it has a fair chunk of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You know when you see an item that prickles the hair on your neck?

This really is that Wibbs.

Honestly, that's a very impressive artifact, one that I'm delighted to see in the hands of someone with a passion.

I am both slightly jealous and weirdly vicariously proud that I know a guy who owns such an important piece of space flight history.

That is a museum piece.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

@893bet

and interesting that there is a 20 percent margin off to be requested on C24.

Yes when I made the offer the website warned me this was a very low offer and do I really want to send it. But I did anyway and it was just accepted no further ado. Maybe the watch was there for a while and the dealer just wanted to get rid at break even or only a small profit, who knows. It still wasn't cheap cheap but about what they go on reddit for. Original asking price was north of 3.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What was the asking price of the very cheapest comparable Skyfall in Europe (probably from a private sale)? That's what I usually take as a benchmark. Base your discount percentage on that (and of course on what make the watch is). And then offer low, but just about not insultingly low

That said I am surprised you got that much off from a dealer. You did well there. Goes to show, never offer asking price for anything (unless it was grossly underpriced and you run the risk of being outbid). Negotiation is the easiest way to make money in life

I'm not that surprosed Unk. It's very much a buyers market at the moment, simply because the number of buyers has dropped off a cliff. And there are a lot of sellers. Essentially an inversion of a year ago.

• Advertisement

There weren't any Skyfall for sale at the time and only a few of its predecessor (2503.80.00), the one I got. When a Skyfall does pop up on chrono asking is usually well above 4k. 4.5 even.

But generally speaking I haven't much to go by. Just chrono, reddit, ebay, adverts plus whatever pops up on a straight google search. I don't have access to TZ since they don't seem to accept new registrations for a long time now. But I saw that on reddit asking for the 2503.80.00 was around $3k depending on condition, papers or no papers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Had to get to the church on time so the big one is out for the weekend. I keep saying I should get a dress watch but then when I wear this I wonder why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Nice to see an IWC in the wild, they're an under the radar watch. I've never owned one, but would like to at some point.

This is a nice IWC. Le Petit Prince is a nice watch, too. I've been tempted once or twice.

I clearly have a thing for blue dials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Am now regretting selling mine…

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Cheers for the comments. I do like that most people haven't a clue what it is. Then there are others that do a double take from a distance, it's hard to miss as it's a big chunk of metal.

I really should get it serviced as I think it's 20 years old next year. Its actual run time is probably a year in total as I only take it out of it's going to get a few days wear and it only goes on select holidays. Usually bring a Seiko m hols so I don't have to worry about it.

I think it's 7/800 for IWC to service it. I'm sure I could get it done cheaper locally but I'd like to keep it authentic.

Might as well ask here I guess. Does anyone know a way into TZ? Can you get in via a member invite or something? I really would like to get into that. Seems a really good site from all the talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't think there is, not that I know of. You can still browse the forum, but you won't be able to see the sales corner which is a rather good resource, not just for buying and selling, but also for gauging the market. If you do plan to buy a particular watch, post it in here and we'll keep an eye out for you.

Picked this up this evening from my friend in Armagh. Very tiny screws in the bracelet.. took out two links but I'm not sure I'm finished sizing as it feels a little tight.. will wear it a few days and see how I go. Bracelet feels very similar to the Skyfall aqua Terra bracelet.. no micro adjustments etc..

Impressed so far with the watch. Feels a very comfortable size for my wrist.. you can definitely see the finishing standard.. do I care it's quartz? Not yet anyway..

Post edited by micks_address on

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

@unkel Could you recommend any other places to look for used watches,other than Chrono 24, preferably EU based to avoid any excess charges?

Post edited by covey123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Have you set it to just before midnight to watch the date switch over yet?

What do you think of the dial in daylight?

That's nice indeed. TBH if I were in the market for a GS I'd go springdrive or quartz. The quartz movement in that is beautifully designed, constructed and finished and would shame many mechanical movements out there, "soul" notwithstanding. And Seiko have long been fully inhouse. They grow their own quartz crystals for feck's sake. 😁 And in the GS range age them like wine to make them more accurate, then age them further in a built up movement to make sure they're settled down. And add in thermocompensation. This gives a 10 seconds per year accuracy. They also have an indexing system to prevent backlash wobble in the seconds hand and it'll line up laser straight with the indices. Then because they have the same sized handset as mechanical they have a double stepping motor for that extra torque to drive them. Which also means enough left over to have an instant date change.

Basically they make modern quartz movements like when quartz first came out and they were the very top end and "luxury" with all the trimmings.

It was kinda raining and evening by the time I tried it on.. I'm sure I'll be oggling it all day tomorrow if there's any sun.. pissing rain here all evening. I'll stay up to midnight to see the date change..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I must admit to having stayed up once too. How about a pic of the back at some point.

The sticker is still on the back 😂 for when 893 buys it from me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Do you still have your datejust? How does it compare to that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Well wear on the GS @micks_address A stunning watch, I'm very taken with the dial.

I sold it back in February to pride and pinion. Had a lot going on and needed to reclaim the money tied up in it. Think I sold it at a good time as I made 1500 on it over the six months or so I had it. Was a class watch so hopefully some day again might be able to afford one. The more I look at the grand seiko whatever about the inside of it (the movement) the rest is top class. I'd say the finish compares favourably to Rolex

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Do you care if its a quartz? I think the opposite, just grabbing a watch from the shelf and it having the correct time, not having to be set.

• Advertisement

No don't care at all but some would.. the way the second hand moves is interesting it hits the markers so precisely and the hand doesn't wobble at all.. I have a couple of other autos so it's absolutely a delight to have a watch you can just grab and go with. The accuracy is bananas at something like 5 seconds a year... I was loosing more than that on my Seiko spb149 per day.. probably closer to 15 seconds a day.. I'm not debating auto versus quartz.. I guess that I've brought it up means I might have a sub conscious issue about it but it's more all reviews around the gs quartz inevitably bring up the conversation.. I'd love to see a spring drive in action at some point... The other quartz I have is the Casio g shock square which is my everyday grab and go watch for anything other than sitting at the desk..

Advertisement