Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journo given 15months for sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

Now who is ignoring nuance?

You are not simply explaining the act, your are purposefully diminishing the act.

Some acts can last seconds but leave a very long lasting impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,242 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And like I said, in my second paragraph that you initially quoted, you can discuss the “after the act.”

not my fault you didn’t realise this.

fact is the physical act (from their versions) lasted seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

So she gives me consent,we are both intoxicated to a extent but carry on .. big row following morning..she says she was intoxicated and her consent was meaningless...where do I stand

I have discussed the after the act.

Only for it to be argued back that she had to be lying in her victim impact statement because the act "only lasted seconds". No nuance there.

Funny isn't it, how when its in his defence, every before, after and nuance must be examined it great detail (even if totally irrelevant) but when it relates to the victim, not so much consideration is given to her after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

If a man plys a drunk girl with alcohol and more creepily with doubles in the hopes of making her incapicated and getting her into bed, then that is the definition of rapey, creepy behaviour and they should get rightly charged with rape if in such circumstances the girl is unable to consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Sono Topolino

This entire story is a case on point about how we have lost our sense of proportionality around sexual crimes. What the guy did was rude, and I think her initial reaction (texting him to complain about his actions) was fair. But does it merit a custodial sentence? No way. Sorry, but criminal justice system should not exist to punish every single interpersonal dispute. Sometimes calling someone an asshole, telling all your female friends not to date him and never speaking to them again is the appropriate remedy.

So yeah, the guy was a jerk - but she also needs to get over herself. Locking someonel up is a big deal. Quite apart from the impact on his life (he's a jerk, so I don't really care about his feelings) it costs the state a lot of money to keep him in prison for a year. Also, he's not employable anymore so he's likely to rely on social welfare when he gets out. He has gone from being a taxpayer to being dependent on state handouts.So the question is - are her feelings about him being a prick worth all of this? No.

They'd want a very deep pocket to keep this going in today's world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

She didn't lock him up though, she reported an assault, and upon investigation the DPP decided there was a case to answer, then at the case, after hearing all the evidence, he was convicted of a crime, then he was sentenced to prison.

If you are in anyway au fait with the DPP, they are fairly reluctant to pursue sexual cases because unless there's violence or cameras, it ultimately boils down to he said she said, which in this case was the same thing, so he locked himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There were cameras that completely exonerated Syl Fox...an 88 year old man who was the victim of a false accusation just last year and the DPP sent that case to court, ruined 2 years of that innocent man's life....the perpetrator never faced any consequences.

• Advertisement

That was an absolute fcuk up on their part, I absolutely agree, and the counterpoint is the failure to proceed against "famous Irish sports person" but the point stands, they are infamously reluctant to pursue sexual cases

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

And I agree with you...and can completely understand the frustration of women who don't see justice when it comes to serious sexual assault.

But that wasn't a fcuk up...it was deliberate, the DPP is not stopping any cases that involve any element of perceived gendered assault, the legal system is full of cases across the country that include a variety of incidents, the Syl Fox case is not an outlier. So Syl was "lucky" it moved through the system so quickly, most young fellas in the same category of offence can lost 3 -4 years of their life regardless of how spurious the accusation.

This has been tried across US College Campuses over the last decade....most women will not pursue flippant cases, but a few will, as is evidenced by the numbers in the Title 9 cases in the US.

I'll admit you seem to be more in the know than me, so I'll ask, are you talking about whether or not they pursue the case, or how long it takes them to decide? Because if it's the latter I completely agree that how slow the system works has caused untold pain for God knows how many people who had to wait years to be told they weren't proceeding.

The current DPP is not stopping any cases that involve any degree of gendered violence/assault of any description, the case will proceed to court, that is my understanding, regardless of evidence, in an attempt to increase convictions for Gendered assault/violence, the nation has been whipped into a serious frenzy when it comes to the issue, as evidenced at the time of the tragic Aishling Murphy case but was brewing before that, as evidenced by the Carlow School teacher debacle....

Because of the sheer volume of cases and covid the duration of time it takes for the case to proceed is much longer and getting longer....in short, it's a s##tshow!

Fair enough, I no longer work in that section, so that's news to me, definite 180 from 4-5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I would love to see what evidence you have to back this up.

Raoe/sexual assault is a very hard case to bring to court unless there is concrete evidence.

Also, the DPP brought the case in the Aisling Murphy scenario because they clearly believe they have the evidence to convict. With the widespread attention on that case when it comes up next year, the DPP won’t be rushing that. It’s absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise.

No charges were ever brought in the Carlow school debacle, although I’m very interested to know why they haven’t forced every media outlet that reported that story to apologise for it. Something absolutely stinks there.

The point about the Murphy case isn’t that it is being brought to court, it is to illustrate the hype/frenzy that people have mentioned about it relating to gender violence.

The DPP are prosecuting this based off nothing but evidence. The poster (Silentcorner) isn’t claiming otherwise.

The Carlow school debacle? I am not familiar with this. What was it?

all I am aware of recently was the male teachers allegedly asking female students not to wear tight leggings.

I assume Silentcorner referenced that story to highlight gender bias regarding male/female? If this was the story the poster was referencing, there were never charges to be brought, and I’d assume the poster knows this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It doesn’t matter if the man buys her drink or not. If she got herself drunk and makes a complaint the next morning it is still sexual assault. It is not legal to sleep with a drunk person.

There is a little more nuance involved. Drunk is just a word. And it can have levels, as well as being open to argument and subjectivity.

Technically it would be more not legal to sleep with a person incapable of consenting. Plenty “drunk” people sleep together without any crime being committed.

I am not aware anywhere in law where it specifically states that it is a crime to sleep with a “drunk” person.

the whole area can be quite muddy, and more so when people are disagreeing f and challenging it all.

Consent is the key. Not just things like drunk. Proving consent did or did not take place is where it all happens. Being drunk AND incapable of consenting due to alcohol/drunk is more accurate. Just people being drunk or under influence of alcohol doesn’t fully explain it.

in other words, he or she making a complaint needs to establish that consent was not given; not simply I was drunk. He/she can say they were drunk AND therefore they did not give consent.

It is not possible for a drunk person to consent, so yes it is a crime. There have not been complaints made but like the case we are discussing anyone in that situation can make a complaint at any time.

Being drunk wouldn't be attractive and is messy most of the time...a few drinks relaxes people

Hold on. Can you please show me where in law it says it is a crime to sleep with a drunk person?

consent is the key: you’re missing the point.

fmany many many drunk people sleep together. Are we now saying that all these instances were crimes?

For a complaint to be upheld, the law looks at consent. Just because you have taken alcohol, does not automatically mean that you cannot consent.

like I said. You can say you didn’t consent as you were “drunk,” and this will be investigated, and the accused can, of course challenge this.

Yes, consent can’t be given by a drunk person. It’s very important that people having one night stands know this. There isn’t a blood alcohol level locked into law obviously but having the event investigated or going to court is not a great outcome for anyone.

Agreed. It is very dangerous area for people. For my son when of age, my advice (the way things are going) would be to nearly get a written document done up for some encounters. It can be such a minefield and muddy area to navigate, with a lot of he said/she said.

example of the I was drunk claim: man and woman both drunk or tipsy or whatever way to describe engage in sex. Next day woman says she was drunk and did not consent. Man says he was drunk as well and he and her were both willing participants, and nothing in her demeanour or body language indicated to him that this was not lawful engagement….. this is why it can be so tricky and complex. What is consent here? A written and signed document before engagement? A verbal yes cannot be proved or disproved, unless it was recorded!

other thing: saying/claiming you were drunk is one thing. How can you prove it, unless you did a test? Or had verified and corroborative evidence to show you were.

just saying it doesn’t always mean it’s true and accepted by a court. Otherwise any woman could use alcohol in a complaint against a man. Genuine complaint or false complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Apparently you can change your mind any time, so even a written “contract” wouldn’t hold up. Also keep in mind that apparently some people “freeze” and find themselves continuing and participating despite not wanting it (allegedly). And that doesn’t only apply to drunk encounters.

That’s why it’s such a minefield..you can avoid certain situations, but there is no way you can ensure you won’t get up getting accused with something despite your best efforts. People can’t mind read. Unfortunately it means that your recordable responses, should it become an issue after the act, have to be very well thought through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I think this may actually be the take away from this whole thread.

• Advertisement

If a woman after a night out asked you back to her place... and you did ....are you then giving your consent...has she already given you consent by asking you back...if they both book a hotel bedroom for the night ...are they consenting there and then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement