Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

broadsheet.ie is closing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Charger By Jove

Since Vincent Browne retired I can't think of a single Irish hack who has held the government to account with the same degree of persistence and venom.

The Irish media has a long tradition stretching right back to Haughey being able to live like a multi-millionaire on a Taoiseach's salary of not asking awkward questions.

Financial crisis, bailout and property collapse ? Nothing to see here.

COVID pandemic deaths, PPE failures, the longest lockdown in Europe - ooh, let's look to see how bad the Tans are doing instead.

The MSM is subservient and reluctant to ruffle feathers.It's job is to promote Ireland as the greatest little country in the world. In essence it's just another branch of Failte Ireland.

And without any effective opposition in Ireland its citizens are being badly let down. They have you by the short and curlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Like I said it isn't about conspiracy theories, it's about seeing the potential for dissent being bad for business and closing it down as a concept.

This isn't some movement for the betterment of humanity via the route of pointing out that conspiracy theories are mostly nonsense or being annoyed that people are going against public health advice, it's about creating an eco system where corporate interests are above reproach.

All the condescending nonsense like "word salad" is part and parcel of the type of claptrap I see being posted online by people on the "liberal" side of the aisle. Mock everyone who disagrees with you, it's pathetic.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Without any effective opposition"

The opposition who are way out in front in every opinion poll and will very likely be the next government?!

MSM is a great term because when someone uses it in earnest, it instantly tells you all you need to know about them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

See, again it's all about huffing and an excuse to lambast and act superior over the "liberal" mindset or anyone who basically disagrees with what you are saying. Dissent is valid, bad data, obfuscation and contrarianism isn't. If "word salad" is mocking then that's on you if you're that brittle. Adiós.

Surprised Paddy Cosgrave didn’t buy it to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are 'just asking questions' and sealioning the same thing? or just related somehow?

°°°°°

Huffing?

How is pointing out facts lambasting and acting superior?

All ad hominem responses, as well as another poster saying I should have my right to use the word "big" revoked.

The usual lazy stuff we've all come to expect.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Let's take the two state funded broadcasters.

The BBC attacks the government of the day all day every day because that's its job.

At RTE the Foreign Minister's brother is Director of Strategy.

Or take COVID.

During the pandemic the British government were questioned live on air every day at 5pm by journalists and members of the public.

Ireland had to rely on a journalist's interpretation of what was said because briefings by the unelected Tony Holohan were held behind closed doors.

Stephen Donnelly was only seen rarely and in carefully controlled interview situations.

There was no media anger at this because waiting for crumbs off the table is the Irish media's default position and always has been.

And the physical position is generally on their knees and awaiting the editorial line to take from their government handlers.

Look at RTE's Brussel's correspondent Tony Connelly. In all the years I've been watching him he's never uttered a single word critical of the EU. He might as well have his salary paid by them.

His current Twitter feed is already parroting the EU line about the likely next PM in the UK. It really is risible stuff.

Irish hacks are essentially government mouthpieces and he who pays the piper (🤣) calls the tune.

Post edited by Charger By Jove on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

"...he who pays the ferryman calls the tune."

Nice clear indication of the sort of confused thinking on display here!

Musical ferrymen!

• Advertisement

And anti-EU.

It would be a bould boy in the media who points that out today.

These days the Irish Times is just anphoblacht for the oat milk latte Smuggerati crowd.

Ireland had to rely on a journalist's interpretation of what was said because briefings by the unelected Tony Holohan were held behind closed doors

They were all shown live on the RTE News channel and on HSE social media.

The paradox here is that the loudest critics of outlets like RTE and BBC are the people who need most desperately to watch them, because they're not capable of realising when they're being manipulated by "alternative" media.

The above is a classic example. It's a very dangerous path to be on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Your opinions are facts now? Fair enough. I make no claims to be representative of anything or anyone except myself ... but you keep trying to group me into something broader and indicative that backs up your bias about"Liberals". The same tired tune seen many times before. You're no less biased in this equation so stop affecting the intellectual neutrality. In the spirit of liberals shooting down the noble dissenters ,ou're going on my ignore list now. Life's too short 🤓

RTE News Channel and HSE social media ?

There was a pandemic. Everyone was stuck at home.

Why not broadcast them on channels people actually watch ? With the Taoiseach and the Health Minister being challenged on their actions instead of hiding behind civil servants.

I think you know the answer ...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's very funny reading someone describe a "liberal" as trying to "hold onto their cosy lifestyle".

It's as if they have no idea what the political ideology of "conservativism" means

So you accept you were factually wrong. I'm going to guess that knowing you were wrong won't impact your opinion?

If they were on RTE One, you'd be saying that RTE were devoting too much prime airtime to the pandemic and they're complicit in the government using fear to keep us in check.

The issue here is you. I mean that in the most neutral and factual way possible. Something has snapped and you've decided it's all a giant conspiracy and nothing will change that. Unfortunately there is no happy ending for people who go down this path, as shown by the welcome and long overdue demise of broadsheet.

If by suggesting that I thought it might be a good idea for the people we elect to be rigourously questioned in front of the widest audience of people confined to their homes by a pandemic that was killing elderly people unnecessarily thanks to government inaction is a conspiracy theory then I plead guilty.

There's a reason politicians in Ireland have got away with their corruption and ineptitude for decades and it's because of people saying " shure he's only being a cute hoor " instead of insisting on high standards in public office.

I suppose it depends whether you want to see a politician sweat his lies on live TV or have Claire Byrne telling you what's happening in Ireland from her garden shed.

I know which I prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was wondering why there was an influx of irritating lunatics and conspiracy theorists in here recently.... this explains it

It's the height of the pandemic.

5pm most days I'd be pouring the first gin and ton-ton and settling down to watch Sky News and Handsy Hancock, Chris Whitty, JVT and occasionally Boris briefing from No 10 before Her Majesty's Press Corp and members of the public got stuck into them.Democracy in action.

At 6pm switch to RTE to hear some newsreader intoning the bad news before crossing to Fergal Bowers OUTSIDE the HSE giving his interpretation before cutting back to George Lee to do his master's bidding urging total lockdown amid portents of doom.

Of Donnelly and Mehole there was no sight for weeks at a time.

And did anyone seriously question the rights and wrongs of the most Draconian lockdown in living memory ?

That's what happens when you have a toothless media and people celebrate the closure of a website that occasionally asked awkward questions of people in positions of power.

They have you exactly where they want you.

• Advertisement

So far today we've had irritating lunatics, anti-authoritarian wingnuts and unhinged bullsh!ters.

Our liberal chums are at least reliably predictable in how quickly they launch into ad hominem attacks.

Don't ever change Jezzas...

We're trying to make it obvious that more right wing CT headcases are not wanted here. Does breitbart have a message board? You would feel more at home there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The “Current Affairs” forum is a lot closer…

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Right wing lunatics are sounding more reasonable than left wing lunatics. Careful now.

To the right wing lunatic. Everyone to the left of Nelson Mandela is a left wing lunatic

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Insults throwing at a group of people cannot be an "ad hominem" attack.

You don't seem to know what "ad hominem" means

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My god this thread has become the funniest thing since man slips on ice since Charger By Jove arrived. 🤣🤣

Keep fighting the man Charger! You’re the hero we need!

Question everyone!

Question John Ryan. Ask him why he really closed Broadsheet. Go on, ask him.

Charger Salmons, SOQ, Fearganainm will all be on here. The Redditt wheeze failed, and their usernames are already gone on thejournal.ie

They're just sad, old, overweight men with beards like the rest.

The Irish have always preferred to be subservient.

The Brits for 800 years, the the Catholic Church took over from them and now the EU call the shots.

It's why the budget gets poured over in Brussels before Dublin.

It's why the FF/FG Government get away with so much with a lapdog media kept quiet with scraps from the table.

And it's why the country put up with the longest and severest lockdown in Europe with no tangible benefit over those who emerged much earlier.

The government and media treat people like idiot savants and why not when they so unquestionably servile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Amik

Can someone recommend some similar new aggregator sites like Broadsheet was?

°°°°°

You think that observation is the same as opinion?

People who identify as liberal have become apologists for the ultra rich over the last few years, that's not an opinion, it's observable fact.

Happy to be on your ignore list if all you can contribute is persistent ad hominems.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

°°°°°

Are you suggesting that people with opinions you disagree with aren't welcome on a site that exists for the purpose of discussion?

Glazers Out!

And yet it’s the conspiracy nuts who’ve backed the oil companies and sociopathic billionaires, like Elon Musk and the Kock brothers, to the hilt.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You must be a " sad, overweight old man with a beard " if you don't follow the crowd.

I'm certainly old enough to remember when it was students and the left-wing who were rebellious.

Times they are A'changin', man ...

°°°°°

Would you expect anything else from people you describe as "nuts"?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

For years I would have described myself as left wing, fighting for equality, tolerance for marginalized groups all right up my street but somewhere somehow it became something else entirely.

Nowadays it feels like the left just want to bash everyone over the head until they agree with them.

The left is a parody of itself now and like a lot of people I now find myself in the middle because as much as I disagree with a lot of modern left ideology I still have a hard time getting on board with conservative ideology as well.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Is the subtext here that you are suggesting that nobody should question anything?

Wasn't it common enough knowledge that Broadsheet was the subject of a number of legal actions and the cost of fighting them was what led to the closure of the site?

Glazers Out!

John Ryan is hardly going to tell anyone the terms of a legal settlement and fall-out with internet police worked out is he? Still hiding in NL John? Or is it New York. Not that the mates in Village Magazine will look into it....

The funny thing is you're a poster on a forum dissing someone who actually set up and ran an internet forum for years despite legal threats from powerful individuals like Denis O'Brien to enable people like you to have a voice.

Show a little more gratitude, keyboard warrior

• Advertisement

Comments section of the Journal (thejournal.ie) is where it's at. Just read the headline and go straight to the comments. Don't waste any time wth what's in betweeen. Check out the first comment on this story. Worth the price of the subscription alone:

In fairness.

THE TOXIC GREENS DON’T DO SCIENCE OR RATIONAL DEBATE. TOGETHER WITH FFG AND BRENDAN HOWLIN THEY SCAREMONGER TO US ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I never posted on the Pin but lurked it quite a bit during the financial crash. Between there and namawinelake you could actually find out what was going on in the background of the crash while RTE and other media outlets were busy 'putting on the green jersey'. Bought my own house in 2017 so didnt have much need for it after that in terms of the property market but I remember a few posters there called the bounce back in house prices pretty accurately, Im guessing they were industry insiders with a lot of knowledge and not just random punters. There was some very knowledgeable people on that site.

Imagine then when I visited the Pin in 2021 after a 4 year absence and saw the site had become more about Covid and anti vax stuff than about actual property, I couldnt believe it what it had been allowed become by the moderators, it was bizarre stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’m just asking hard questions. What’s the matter? Too uncomfortable for you? Well that’s tough because I question everything because Im an anonymous internet commentator. I ask hard questions

What’s the matter? Too uncomfortable for you? Well that’s tough because I question everything because I’m an anonymous internet commentator. I ask hard questions.

°°°°°

Yeah questioning things is stupid.

Take that malcontents of the world.

Insert hilarious "cut you off at the knees" remark.

Glazers Out!

But it's true. If you're someone who questions everything, you'd question both the mainstream media (which does often deserve questioning) and the alternative media.

°°°°°

I don't think anyone is saying that any source of information shouldn't be questioned.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

The joys of interpretation.

Saying a platform shouldn't have been forced to shut down is not, by any reasonable measure the same as saying it should be beyond criticism.

But then perhaps that poster could clarify that for you themselves.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

As I wrote earlier I didn't always agree with what Broadsheet published.

Not so much the COVID stuff because at the time very few outlets were questioning what the government was doing so inevitably there was going to be some bonkers ideas around.

More Bodger's theory that the US elections were rigged.

But either way I'm not one for celebrating with glee the demise of one of the few independent voices in the Irish media.

I'll leave that for the echo chamber devotees.

Advertisement