Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

Thanks @Laineyfrecks .

I am really struggling to go slow. Feels like I need to almost be walking which is hard to get my head around when I am only going out for 6km. I am trying though :-)

I got the Garmin HRM chest strap today and gave it a go on my run at lunch. I'm going to hold off till I have a few more runs before I comment on it though.

Oh, and I haven't done any type of race since March, so no frame of reference to work out PMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

If it feels too slow its not a bad thing 😉Have you any races lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

To put it in perspective, my own PMP is around 4:44/km (7:38/mi). I have no trouble running easy runs in the 5:40s or 5:50s or recovery runs around 6:00/k pace. It doesn't feel unnatural to me - it doesn't even feel slow. But these runs DO feel easy. The danger is that you are slipping into moderate territory (which can feel fantastic, but is not generating the aerobic base you need to be able to run a marathon successfully - and by successfully, I mean at the same pace (more or less) from start to finish, and hopefully at a pace that is challenging). That's why it's good to have a race or a time trial to work off, but a race from March is better than no race at all. Remind us what it was and what your time was?

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Quoted below is a post that might have been already mentioned here, but no harm reposting it anyway. It's a post that I refer back to time and again when asked about an easy pace. Well worth sparing a couple minutes to read:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Cheers Mr Guppa, great post! I wasn't a believer myself when I 1st started my own proper training DCM19 (Mr Guppa, as my mentor at the time will vouch for this😉) but once I got onboard with it & seen the results for myself in races it just became 2nd nature to run those easy miles truly easy. Trust the advice given by many many people who have been through the process, it works!

• Advertisement

There are a couple of people looking to join the strava group. You need to PM me here with your real name so that I can match you up to your boards name, cheers!

Well done on another week done!

Yes I think its a great idea to be trying out your hydration & fuelling now for the marathon during your long runs. Now is the time to see what works best for you & waiting till the big day is not the time to be trying anything new.

Hope this week's training has gone well😊

Well done on another week done & dusted. I hope you haven't been too sick, listen to your body, take the time off if you need to then get back at it when you're better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks, I have taken the whole week off to recover so far and early to bed most nights. Coming around now, racing an Olympic Distance Triathlon tomorrow so will see how the body handles that and hopefully back to training next week. I pushed out the testing too as I didnt think the results would be a good reflection if I was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Good decision on the INSCYD test. I went ahead with mine last year not feeling 100% and it ended up being a total waste of time and money.

Good luck in your Tri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Week 4 finished. Missed my Tuesday 5k run but did 8k on Wednesday and 5k on Thursday and then did 17k today. Managed it in 1hr40 mins and I felt great after it. My last kilometre was at 5.11 pace which I was delighted with. Rest of the kms were around 6min pace.

I got a pair of Brooks runners on Monday and they feel very comfy. Next purchase will be a new watch. Just in relation to what I should be aiming for...stats for today show I was in anaerobic state for 94% of my run. Is this good? Or what should I be aiming for?

Firstly, good that you feel great after the 17km. It shows your adjusting to the different runs and building your fitness. Did you decide to increase pace based on how you were feeling ?I'm not sure what your using to measure the stats. It may or may not be accurate depending on what you're using. is it a garmin watch or strap?, .Time of day, heat, effort level etc all can influence that. Just bare in mind, time on feet and getting acquainted to longer distance is the key at this stage as opposed to pace. Nice work.

A fair few folk this weekend will have ran their longest run to date. It was noticeable in strava group. Interested to hear feedback in due course or how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

Thanks Lambay Island. It felt great to get my longest run ever ticked off yesterday morning. I was lucky to have a friend visiting for the weekend who joined me on the run. I found it a little bit tough at times in the drizzle, but overall not too bad and felt happy with a feeling that I had a little bit left in the tank if I needed it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Morning all,

yesterday was my longest run and got through it. Found the last few Kms hard on my ankles and knees but my breathing was pretty relaxed all the way round. Avg pace 5.53 for the 25kms. Heart rate was averaging 155bmp. Just wondering is that where it should be at for slow run? Thanks for everyone’s input, it’s great to see how well everyone is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Completed my longest run in 2 years (16km) on Friday. My wife is away for the weekend so had to do it a bit early.

I had a late dinner and then went out running with a full stomach and honestly the first 3km felt awful, I was going to just do 5km and then head home but after a while I got into a good rhythm and just kept going. Pace was 6.20 per km which is roughly what I was aiming for so happy with that and stayed consistent for the whole run.

My long slow runs haven't been going to plan lately and I was getting disheartened thinking how am I going to do a marathon when I can barely do these runs but now I feel amazing and can see that the training is working 🙂

I'm currently doing the Hal higdon novice plan and I have a concern that there is only 1 20 mile run before the marathon, do you think I should mix up my long slow runs with thr boards plan so I'm covering more distance and get more familiar with longer runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Week 5 done!

Tuesday 6.5km easy pace 6:05 / km

Wednesday 6.5km easy pace 6:11 / km

Thursday 10km with 5x 100m strides

Saturday 24.5km LSR 6:19 / km

Sunday 5.7km rec pace 6:34km / km

Had to change things around this week a bit so did the mid week run with strides on Thursday. Must admit I like doing the strides. Always a bit surprised that I’m able to pick up the pace like that. I did the strides bit early on though - just after 3km because it was a flat quiet section. I know the advice was to do them towards the end. Is doing them earlier a no no?

Yesterdays run was my longest ever - only by just over 2km but it was noticeable. I started off in a nice drizzle but from around 10km to 17km it was steady rain and I was soaked. I was very happy with my pace - it was very steady at 6:19 / km from around 4km and felt comfortable apart from the báisteach. After about 21km I felt fairly tired. Breathing was fine but I just felt drained. I probably didn’t help that I had a big hill to get over around this point too. I took 500ml water and 2 gels with me. Planned to just take 1 gel but so glad I took the 2. Had one after 8km and the other around 17km mark. After food and plenty of water I felt ok for the rest of the day, thought I’d be wrecked but wasn’t. It was definitely an eye opener though. 42.2km is a looong way. Any more tips for these long ones are most welcome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A lovely morning for a half marathon in the park today.

it’s great seeing the groups getting bigger and slightly quicker each week.

Your all doing great,stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Week done and dusted.

Monday - easy 7km @5:56

Tuesday - Hill sprints. 15min warm up, followed by 9x60second efforts uphill. Found it tough but manageable.

Wednesday - easy 10km @6:02

Thursday - 2k warm up, 5km tempo @ 4:45ish and a 2k warm down

Saturday - long slow run, 24km total but finished with 5 at/around PMP. Tough section uphill for about 5k at the 13k mark but overall felt OK. Felt like I could have kept going if needed.

Sunday - 6.5k recovery run @ 6:11 per km.

Overall happy with the week, body still feels fresh although think I need to sort post long run food a bit better. Was drained yesterday evening and suspect it was food/lack there of - downside of trying to lose weight aswell.

Ballpark - how does a 10km time translate to a 10mile? Did the 10km in 48:30, I would be hopeful with 4 weeks additional training that a sub 1:18 for the 10mile might be achievable but maybe I'm dreaming. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier by the mentors about nutrition after long slow runs, but thought I would share some information on it after reading the latest updates. It is really important to get the right food into the body within 20 minutes of finishing the run. It helps with restoring the glycogen levels in your body (carbs) and also help repair muscles from the run (protein). There are a number of options available, some easier than others - here are a few and I'm sure others can add to this list

• Banana and glass of milk
    • Chocolate milk (some brands are better than others for carb/protein levels)
    • Peanut butter on a bagel
    • Dedicated recovery drink

Also be sure to eat all around you during the day, your body will be craving and requiring lots of food. Don't worry, the weight will still drop off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

As the miles rack up keep a close eye on the soles of your runners for wear and tear.

replace as needed.

Everyone's heart rate is different - 155 would be just above the easy zone for me but it depends on what your maximum and minimum HR is - I wouldn't worry about it for now, as long as you are running at a genuinely easy pace - how did you determine how fast/slow to run?

Great point and thanks T.. just to add to this but less so on nutritional side. Ensure you get enough water on board throughout the day afterwards. Even if the sun isn't out, its still very warm and humid out there and you will lose lots of water over 2 hours running. I learned the hard way, get the water in before the headaches arrive, even if the thirst isn't there initially.

Your 10k time translates to just over 80 mins for a 10 miler. If you can break 80 mins that will be plenty of progress. Remember, the marathon is the main goal here - these tune up races are great for helping with motivation and race experience (if you need it) but as the training is based specifically on the marathon you will never be reaching full potential in any of the interim races.

Fair play. How were the ankles and knees today as a matter of interest? Heart rate can be a very unique thing. What could seem high for one person would be average for another and yet they could run a race in the same time. Is that a bit higher than let's say an easy 5 mile run you would do? It's natural for heart rate to go up the longer you travel. The main things is to ease up pace if you feel you are working too hard. It's all about getting your legs/body used to the endurance.

Edit- oops hadn't seen @Murph_D replied already but similar response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Being on holiday made Week 5 of the Pfitzinger method particularly tough.

Big sessions were:

- 14km session with 8km at LT pace.

Feel like I'm running LT pace a little fast at 4:05 km, needs slowing down to around 4:10, so that's a focus over the next couple of weeks.

- 16km at general aerobic pace or around 5:00-5:10/km. Went well, but the drinking and poor sleep that usually happens with holidays away from the kids seems to have slowed recovery. Legs were surprisingly tired for a couple of days.

- 26km, with 16km at marathon pace (4.25/km). I was dreading this, because I didn't feel great after the few days of excessive food and drink on holiday, but it went surprisingly well. After the initial 10k at easy pace, I hit 4:20-4:30 pace fairly easily on a hilly route.

In total, 67km for the week. Target was 72km but one of the recovery runs was substituted for a hike.

Overall, fairly happy but worried I may be pushing a little hard. Injuries seem to be staying away though, and looking forward to a 'recovery' (!) week on the plan.

Fair play. I hate having a full stomach when running, good for you sticking it out but I'd try and avoid that going forward, especially the longer ones.

It's also positive that you are seeing the benefits now.

I don't see a need to try and alter things. The plan you are on, you are seeing the benefits and it will continue to build up as the weeks go by. It's working so far so trust the plan would be my advice on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Week 5 done for me, got all the runs in as per the boards plan. Well done to everyone this week, it was great to see the amount of longest run ever on Strava messages. It really feels like this was a key week on the training with so many of us going into unknown territory.

My week looked like.

Mon: 7km @ 5:33km

Tue: 6km @ 5:57km

Wed: Light gym session.

Thur: 10km with 5 x 100 strides @ 5:58km

Sat: 25km @ 5:51 km

Sun: 5km @ 6:25km

I was a bit sore this morning, I've a long standing hip injury. Thankfully after doing a few sessions of stretching and foam rolling today it's eased off quite a bit.

One thing I did find on the 25km run was a felt pretty thirsty towards the end and had no water with me, I did have a couple of gels. Do people recommend carrying a hydration backback or a running belt or do they find these too much of an inconvenience to carry?

Absolutely carry a hydration belt. As you go into uncharted territory with your long runs it’s important to avoid dehydration. Many runners stash water at different points around a long run route, or do looped routes with a known water source (E.g. a bottle left on top of the car etc). I used a belt myself for years. Anything that makes you feel more comfortable on a long run is worth doing, and of course you will be taking on water during the marathon itself so it’s good to be doing that in training also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

So week 5 done and dusted. Feeling fine and the body is holding up well at this point which is reassuring. Weekly milage is a little lower than last week as I only got in 5 runs but generally on plan.

Monday, probably a bit of a slap on the wrist for this one, was at club session and only 2 of us were there and we decided to do a steady session, 10k at 5/k, which wasn't on plan or the session which is normally intervals. In fairness we chatted the whole time and my HR didn't leave z2 but pace was between easy and pmp.

Tuesday and Friday off, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday easy and lsr of 25k today. Generally either running with my wife to keep paces low or HR kept well into Z2, I've been keeping the watch on HR to avoid looking at pace on purpose which might explain some of the erratic paces.

I did a bit of a marathon block during lockdown #1, just for something to do, so these runs are not my longest but enjoying them all the same.

@Laineyfrecks great advice on the strides, made sure to ease in and ease out of the stride which made them more controlled than I had done previously. Upper quads felt a little tight afterwards but went away the next day.

Funny @Treviso on the nutrition, I've been craving milk for the last 10 days and probably drank a pint after the lsr today. Mad how your body tells you what you need!

@masterK I got one of those soft flasks from decathlon, 25ml, and it's handy for a few sips as you go. Fits in ur hand with a loop to go over your finger and more comfy to carry than a bottle.

For next week looking forward to the session at pmp, tbh it feels, at the moment, that I'm missing at bit of pace work in the week.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

Advertisement