Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back the death penalty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No matter what is implemented, if it means we start PROPERLY removing menaces to society from society, I’m on-board. Clearly society is getting it wrong with these recidivist offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

so, the solution is to significantly increase prison numbers and general taxation, sounds like a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Death penalty in cases like this is disproportionate

I used to be a supporter for it & can somewhat reason with the death penalty in some cases but I'd be more in support of whole life orders. A high proportion of people who could be deemed suitable for the death penalty are sociopaths & psychopaths anyway, giving them the floor for appeal after appeal and the press circus that surrounds the death penalty (particularly in America, if we had it it would be the same here) does nothing only validate and inflate their useless ego and give them the exposure that most of them desperately craved when committing their crime. Locking them away for the rest of their existence in a dark cell away from human contact is probably the greatest punishment in itself.

For Ireland I'd 100% be behind minimum sentencing and fairly harsh minimum sentencing at that, as a taxpayer I'd be happy to contribute to keeping these absolute vile humans caged up for the majority of their useful life. In the case in question anything short of 25 years in my opinion would be too little. That would leave these clowns at an age where they never get the chance to see their kids growing up and will likely see their parents down while still being in prison. Rob them of their life.

We could also most certainly do with a strike system for repeat offenders, there is no reason why someone who has shown repeated propensity for theft, violence and criminal conduct should be allowed the pleasure of freedom the rest of us fools enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Executing people by hanging for drug offences is not my definition of doing relatively well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Social housing / AHB tenancies are subject to passing estate management checks.Sexual crimes/deviant behaviour like what they are convicted of will mean the state won't house them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

I dont understand why we have to give prisoners cushy prisons?? these places should be nightmarish torturous place's, we have hospitals underfunded i dont see why absolute barebones arent give to these scumbags in prison its genuinely a joke.

What makes you think Irish prisons are cushy ?

That clown assaulted during the week has life threatening injuries, sex offenders are pariahs and can't mix with the general population. Bottom line is your liberty is taken away for the duration of your sentence.

I work with ex offenders, I've yet to meet one who wants to go back into custody.

A quick Google throws up this stat.

"In 2018, 110 assaults on staff by prisoners were recorded, while 418 assaults on prisoners by prisoners were recorded. Based on information revealed under the Freedom of Information Act, it was also reported that staff allegedly assaulted prisoners 37 times in 2018."

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

If it was up to me I'd have all rapists and murderers in 8 x 8 damp concrete cell on 23hr lockup

but that's pie in the sky and never going to happen either, in a civilised society even the worst of humanity caged up in prison still get to enjoy a comparably good standard of accommodation, education, amenities & healthcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why you need enough ..

Gardai

prison places

competent judges who don’t have the welfare of the perpetrators as their first priority..and sentence appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry, I should have made it more clear but I posted that link to show that Europe is totally against the death penalty.

Absolutely agree it is not coming back barring some very unlikely set of circumstances and nor should it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Regardless of financial cost, no law abiding citizen should have to risk encountering the likes of them on the street.

Anyone with 100s of convictions is beyond any sort of rehabilitation, should be off the streets. End of. Either life in prison or death.

Look at the lads that crashed and burnt up on the N7 last year, the system failed to protect both them and their victims. If they were in prison they'd be alive and homeowners safer.

Thankfully their deaths prevented further victims and drains on the taxpayers.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Google prisons in other countries and you'll soon see what the prisons in Ireland are basically a creche for adults, the amount of money the cost is a clear indicator of the level of living they are given. It should be brutal and bare bones in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Relatively well? Explain please. Not one innocent murdered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or maybe the over all costs are due to the level of staffing thats required to facilitate incarceration, maybe!

Are you actually trying the argue the point that the Irish prison system is rough? Do i actually need to list places with tougher prisons?

Alot of places in the world dont share the sympathetic view towards criminals that the Irish system does.

Ok it’s for young offenders, but Oberstown is basically a three star hotel that you just can’t leave..

Hurt society, hurt people… it’s ok, we’ll send you ….here

the fûck will that deter anyone…

No , I said irish prisons are not cushy , incarceration for anyone is never easy .

Yeah , go on , rattle off a few countries with tougher prison systems or ones that appeal to you.

I'd prefer a bit of footie than reoffending. I know it's not that simple, but it's worth a try .

• Advertisement

But the law needs to deter reoffending, a game of football in prison won’t do that…. not sure that being detained in relatively comfortable surroundings with decent amenities is really going to educate young people as to what’s expected of them going forward…

” I better not do xyz because I don’t want to end up back there “

or the reality…

” fûck it, if I’m caught, football, sports, games, PlayStation etc… “ if you are of the mind to engage in criminality at that age , that environment won’t deter you.

Schools, sports clubs, teams, rehabilitation centers would be crying out to have sports facilities like that.. but..

People like you and that sort of mind set are the reason people with 225+ convictions get to go back to roaming the streets to rape and commit more crimes.

Its not understanding and cuddles these "people" need, its punishment in a harsh environment to make them regret what they've done... they are supposed to suffer in these places not to be slightly inconvenienced...not to have support systems and healthcare and dental care and all that shite, let them suffer let them die if needs be these people are scum and shouldn't be pitied, they should be bottom of the pile for any form of medical treatment and only absolutely essential treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

"People like you ..." that comment shows how limited you are.

Followed up by letting prisoners die from neglect if necessary.

Any follow on the prison systems of other countries that you'd like to see implemented here.

I’d want here an X strikes rule….

That after even X number of crimes, even nicking a Tshirt from a shop, the X offence has to come with a minimum sentence of whatever

far too many people with multiple crimes out roaming and reoffending and being a burden on or worse.. a danger to society

prision isn’t just about rehabilitation. It’s about protecting citizens. If a prisoner chooses to or fails to rehabilitate, shouldn’t be societies problem. Lock em up.

I wouldn't lose one bit of sleep if a pedo or a murderer or a rapist died because they were at the bottom of the pile for medical attention.

Prisons should be harsh not creches of adults paid for by tax payers.

If prisoners all over the world could chose where they do time, id say ireland would be well up at the top.

Meanwhile in MountJoy.....

To qoute yourself... "Incarceration is tough on everyone"🤣

🎵🎶 "people like youuuuu ", I'm having a sing song 🎵

YUUUPPRRRDDAT!! CHOONS BAAAISS!

Now imagine one of em badly hurt or killed someone belonged to you or some other brutal crime and a vid comes out and you see em dancing away having the banter would you still hold the same hugs and cuddles rehabilitation views? doubt it.

• Advertisement

It is impressive.

But that's not my point.

I did boxing and martial arts. I was so laid back I was horizontal! Angry young boy. Worked for me. Other self esteem issues, but I worked though them I still am in my mid 40s.

Arts and crafts, writing...whatever. give them a chance.

Advertisement