Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

why would hey discuss the LIV tour at all?

I mean, they are there to cover a particular tournament.

When you are watching a premier league game, do you hear them discuss the Spanish or Italian leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd be slow to criticise sky and I like most of their commentary team but the amount of ads are a pain especially when already paying alot of money for a subscription. This is more apparent when watching LIV being ad free and completely free to air. Why am I paying sky alot of money when I can watch some of the best players/characters for free.

Still no 4k cameras? Sky really need to jump forward a few years and start showing Golf in 4k like other sports. One bug bear of mine is when showing approach shots they really need to highlight the flag as its usually not visible.

Their coverage is hamstrung by the US companies who offer terrible coverage so in some ways sky make the best of it. I thought their coverage of the open was excellent. Hopefully LIV will have woken them up and make them realise that they need to up their game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Most people don't want to hear anything about that other tour. Do you not understand that? I'm among those who are disgusted by these golfers selling their souls for money. It's not like they don't have enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ylefin

Hello

I am watching the Eurosport coverage of the PGA tour final round Rocket Mortgage Classic (I am from Scandinavia) and although I am fluent in English I have great difficulties to understand one of the two male commentators. It is diffucult to find who is commentating but I think i heard the neame "Scotland". Am I the only one and what is that English accent? I have never had such difficulties in understanding golf commentry

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sky often have a guy called Zane Scotland commentating for them. Former tour pro (for about 2 years). He's not a good communicator. Really isnt cut out for commentary or punditry for that matter. Pretty sure he's only there because he's sleeping with some sky sports golf executive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ylefin

Thanks. I am not interested in his private life but he should talk better English, if he comments on TV, sorry.

Post edited by ylefin on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Agree with you on the talking better.

His private life was just irish speculation on my part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I think it's you that doesn't understand. PLENTY of people are interested...because when you take away all the bluster surrouding it...at the end of the day it's just golf. Uninterrupted golf.

That's if you can set aside that by signing up to that tour that these people are representing people who are anti LGBTQIA and Women's rights, so much so that they've killed them for standing up for themselves, that committed unspeakable atrocities in Yemen and murdered Jamal Khashoggi.

So you go enjoy it and don't worry about those people. You support this golf tour if your personal enjoyment outweighs all the despicable stuff these people have done.

I hope it goes belly up soon. It just needs the big names like Rory, Justin Thomas, Cam Smith and a few others to heavily criticise it. If Tiger decided to criticise that tour it'd be over for sure.

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Has Ewan Murray left sky? Appears based on his Twitter profile but can’t find anything. I thought he’d be working at least this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Semi-retirement I guess, he'll probably pick and choose, I'm sure he'll be around for the Masters, much like how they phased out Bruce Critchley before him.

Murray is no longer with Sky. He's writing with the Guardian and some other publications.

I don't know what happened but obviously there was a falling out of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The softc*cks on OTB will probably get a week out of Tigers tampon.

They are going ott on everything to do with him but that's everywhere there's golf commentary. You'll just have to put up with it.

Regardless it's great to see him playing. He looks older and it looks like he's going to struggle physically to compete but he's the greatest golfer in my 40+ years following the game.

To go through what he has and still be able to shoot 69 around Riviera, nevermind how long it is since he actually teed it up in a competitive event,is quite incredible.

It makes you wonder how competitive he'd be now if he hadn't suffered all those injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The Guardian writer is Ewan Murray, a different person altogether even though he covers golf and is also Scottish. He also covers Scottish football I believe.

Ewen Murray the commentator hasn't been employed full time by Sky sports for a number of years now I believe, he's an independent contractor. I expect to see him at the Masters next or maybe the Players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It's great to see his love for it win out now, he's only playing now for enjoyment.

Being willing to shoot terrible scores in the majors last year was a good sign, humility.

This in joke was good to see, I thought he just held hands with him for some in joke as they were leaving the tee, good to see he has a sense of devilment in him still.

I wonder will a reporter be brave enough to ask Eldrick about the tampon

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Laura davis ………. That’s a great shot, oh wait……. it’s ran through the green.

She has no concept of where the ball going to finish!!!

can’t stand her rambling the same generic shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

She's atrocious, they could dig up Peter Allis, put him in the booth and he would be more interesting. Another example of woke nonsense spilling into sports

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brutal coverage on Sky Sports at the Genesis Invitational. I don't know if they're relying on pictures from an American station. I switched on 10 minutes ago, and I've seen plenty of Tiger Woods. Why? He's way back at -1. Couldn't give a crap about that despicable has been.

I've seen one putt from Rory. No shots from Power or Lowry. Power is burning up the course today. The commentators are talking about the Irish doing well, but there's no footage.

Edit: They finally show Power, but might have been because he was playing his 6th shot and they might have seen it as car crash TV.

Ya, the commentators have said there's a change in network coverage and trying to bring the best pictures that they can.

• Advertisement

They take it directly from the US feed so have little to no control over what we see. As an aside you can't really blame them for showing TW

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donnyb63

I was shocked at this!henni absolutely brilliant softly spoken well spoken knowledge former pro and yes easy on the eye doesn't hurt!nick dougherty excellent in studio too.laura Davies and coltart the absolute worst insufferable. Coltarts knowledge through the field awful,called Christian bez a "massive hitter yesterday " he averages 290 off tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donnyb63

I've a proper hard on for henni lol..she's great well spoken softly spoken knowledge former pro friends with Justin Thomas tiger etc great addition she seems lovely! Coltart and Laura Davies insufferable and don't have a clue about any golfers outside the top20

The Sky comms can't seem to get over the fact that the US graphics say "tied" instead of all square. Seriously lads it's been that way for at least two years, get over it, I really don't see the issue.

Let’s hope nope gets a double eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never thought I would say this but I miss Nick Faldo.

He was super at explaining what a player was trying to do and also explain how golfers might be feeling and his understanding of the position players was in.

Whose better than her on Sky? Nobody.

She has some good insights, she's not afraid to criticise a decision about the shot to play and that's both before and after the shot. When she criticises it and it works out she admits she got it wrong, you know like a normal person.

She's a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

That Scottish idiot is awful. I'm as big of Rory fan as anybody but he came out just a short while ago about Rory that he's 'arguably the best golfer in the world' when he's not even close to Scheffler right now. There's no argument about that right now.

I like Rich Been but he's all nicey, nicey all the time.

McGinley has improved but he's much better on the golf channel. It's like Sky have a haves and have nots rule book for commentators.

Faxon is great on US commentary too, much better than when he's on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory isn't even close to Sheffler right now!! Not even close! 😉

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's not. That was Scheffler having a bad week, still got to the semi-finals.

Since January Scottie's results 7, 11, 1, 12, 4,1,4.

Rory's are 1(Dubai), 32, 29, 2, MC, 3.

I'm not criticising Rory, I'd have him second right now but there's a big gap between Scheffler and everybody else. The comment by that stupid Scottish commentator that there's an argument over who is the best in the world right now was just ridiculous.

You're comment, made after an unimportant match, means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Regards Rory he has been at the top must his career Scheffler is only there last year or so.. Thats why Rory is regarded as the best in the world.

Advertisement