Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€11k on the road for a decent taxi EV. €17k on the road for a €40k eNiro. Just sell it on after 5 years and 250k km for what you paid for it, thank you very much the Irish tax payer 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

I was charging there today and seen that , then was charging in Ballcolla a few hours later and there was a Porsche Taycan cross Turismo plugged in , after seing the porker I just presumed they had opened up the network here now too , Would they even get any juice from them ?

Nope, Tesla fast chargers for Tesla owners only in Ireland. Plebs like Porsche Taycan owners will have to continue their struggle finding public working and available fast charging points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Surely any EV owner knows the Tesla superchargers are for Tesla use only? Even plugged in and looking at your dash would be enough to tell you the car isn't charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

BYD are ordering 6, with options for 2 extra, car transporter ships for themselves. 7,700 cars each. If there’s still any doubt about the Chinese intentions in foreign markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good. Because the carmakers we are used to seem to be focussing their efforts on stupid oversized and overpriced crossover yokes. We need more small affordable EVs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You’d be amazed the genuine ignorance of new EV drivers I've seen over the years, folks waving eCars cards around SuC etc but the worst was a driver using the AC option instead of CCS because he was told by dealer that’s the plug to use for charging at home and when out and about knew no better. When I took off the second cover (the one to expose the two CCS ports) he said he never even noticed it before. His public “fast” charging suddenly became a lot faster. He’d been at this for 6 months unfortunately

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Chatting to an owner while waiting for them to finish at a 50kW. Guy checked the dash in his car and told me 10 more minutes. Chatted to him for 15 mins, turns out the car wasn't charging at all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You have to remove the rear tints when converting to SPSV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not really an EV post but the Nissan pathfinder jeep I have here in California has self driving capabilities the exact same as my model 3!! Slows down when it meets a vehicle in front and turns the steering on the road.

All that technology and it has no built in sat nav!!

• Advertisement

That's pretty basic these days. I think some is even mandated now, or on the cusp of being mandated? Model 3 will do more than that, depending on the laws of where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile Toyota are threatening to stop producing cars in the U.K. if the U.K. government bans hybrid cars from 2030 onwards…..

what a company…..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/30/toyota-warns-government-may-stop-manufacturing-uk-bans-hybrid/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No doubt the next Tory overlord will bend over backwards to do whatever Toyota want 🙄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I picked up my first ever full EV last week (MGZS EV Exclusive long range), left behind the phev that served me well for 4 years. Tipped around at home on short runs and this is my first longish trip away.

Just a trip from Galway to kilkee for a few days, add a few small trips back and forth to the beach etc. And home again tomorrow. I Will be home with about 34%. So not the full "living with an EV" experience that needed charging stops.

That is later in the week when I head to cork, I reckon I'd make it home, but a quick top up just to be sure I get home will take the edge off.

But I did get my first taste of the charger situation. Two 22kw chargers at the beach. Arrived to see an outlander plugged in and an MG5. Outlander was plugged in at 1:30 and stayed until almost 7pm.

It was a 2014 one so only a 10kw battery. So they just used it as a parking space for the day.

Luckily I didn't need to charge, but I was still annoyed for anyone that did. had I been stuck, three kids in the back and the next charger a good 30mins away, it would have been very frustrating.

But so far first week was great. 260 km around at home before it went under 50% (I did a tiny top up on the first day at home to make sure the charger worked, and another 3kw at an ESB station to make sure that worked). This weekend about 300km driving and still plenty in the tanks.

It's actually surprising how much of Ireland you can cover on round trips without charging.

But what I did notice is my change in opinion of the amount of charge at either end.

I got here using 25%. So I know to get home it will need 25%. But still when the route planner said you will arrive home with 34% to spare, my first reaction was phew that's cutting it close 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The 22kw chargers are destination chargers so in theory they done nothing wrong. There should be more of them there!

The Outlander charging at 3.6kW would have been full after maybe 3 hours. Decent thing to do would be move it, especially if close by but many don’t :(

Reap what you sow. In most counties (not in Dublin) parking is free when you are charging and the EV charging spots usually are in the best locations. And there is no penalty for charging for a long time on destination chargers. It's a big ask to expect the Outlander owner to interrupt his day, come back to his car, move it to another spot (if they can even find one) and then having to pay for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s pretty poor design. If the premise is that that they are long-stay parking spaces, eCars should never have installed 22kW chargers there, they should have gone for a larger network of 3.5kW chargers instead.

If they were trying to install what the Dublin LAs are now calling neighbourhood chargers, 7 or 22kW chargers would have been more appropriate.

Ah now, you're making far too much sense with that kind of talk 😉

I'll leave the article below to truly get your blood boiling

Despite the title, and just to be clear, that's 10,000 charging points for Stockholm, from one company, on top of the 5,000 they already provide...

There would be 3ph supply so a 22kW charge point would cost no more than a 3kW charge point to install. The initial network of AC charge points in Ireland was very good and very early (thanks to the Green party) but there has been almost no improvement since. Of course we now need a lot more of them. Many towns have none. They all should have had at least 100 each by now. A city like Dublin should have thousands of them by now, not a few dozen.

It is in a pay and display car park right beside the beach, so you do still have to pay, and they were likely only a 30 second walk away. And while it was busy, there was a constant movement. I drove in at 4 and got a spot right away.

I drove an outlander for 4 years and rarely used a charger, let alone blocking one while not charging. A 0-100% charge on the 22kw would only take 3.5 hours. So at minimum they were not charging for 2 hours while parked.

My own approach is take what you need and move on. A outlander never needs a charge.

I plugged in at that charger before in winter, other one was free and I still left a note in the window for anyone that was stuck to ring me and I'd move it.

• Advertisement

So you plugged in your PHEV into a public charge point, while stating that a PHEV never needs a charge?

It doesn't need a charge in the way that no PHEV needs a charge and can be driven in ICE mode. But it is better if they are charged and driven in EV mode, no?

Yeah phevs never needs to charge, it can make it home on petrol. An EV doesn't have that option. If it's out of juice there isn't a back up engine. That doesn't mean it can't ever charge.

It's silly/inconsiderate to charge a phev when others need it. And it's downright dickish to block the charger when you aren't charging as this guy did.

When I plugged in, it's a seaside town in the dead on winter without another car in the whole car park, never mind charging, and both chargers free I'd say that's okay to plug in for an hour.

Yes you might get two EVs in dire need of a charge arriving at the same time. That's why I left a note with my number on the dash to say give me a buzz if you are stuck and I'd move it.

Well often with a PHEV you'd want to maximise EV range, so you're forced to graze at every available charger to do so. It's one of the things that I don't like about them as you actually end up charging more often than an EV

The owner really should have moved their car after it was charged though, that's somewhat inconsiderate not to do so

The thing is, this problem is entirely solvable by just adding more chargers. 2 AC units for a busy seaside town is an absolute joke. There should be more like 20 chargers

And on top of that ^^^^ there should be some PHEV ‘friendly’ chargers that are only 3.4 or 7kW…… means you get more plugs for the same power that an AC22 would have….

I kind of feel that's too complicated. 7kW AC should be enough for most destination chargers. 22kW is nice but the majority of cars don't make good use of it, and unfortunately there isn't much sign of that changing soon

There should just be lots of chargers, banks of a dozen at a time. For cars that need more, there should be a 50kW hub nearby

The whole free parking thing needs to go, too open to abuse. IMO, for the AC chargers the parking should be paid but the kilowatts should be free, no advantage then to blocking the chargers, and if one is blocked then there's lots more beside it

Still madness that eCars said they are not installing any new AC chargers…….. they’re barely installing DC chargers as it is!

there’s huge need for destination charging, and everywhere (we’ll, everywhere that folk would expect to spend 90+ minutes….)

Big difference this morning, was over to the pool and there was 2 EVs plugged in on the way in. Then 2 more on the way out. So 4 cars charged in half the time one phev was there.

Got home anyway tonight, over 120km left on the range. 5 hours of driving, 300km done including some motorway and AC on to clear the foggy windows.

Off again midweek to cork. This will be 407km on so this one might need a top up just to be sure. Car does 450+ but that's cutting it fine.

I guess the argument that a few DC's give you more bang for your buck has some merit. The income is probably better, ESB knows that they're only going to get used more and more and the price per kWh is higher

Still, for the cost of a single DC you could put 7kW AC posts along a whole street

I suspect getting an LA to actually agree to that would be some hurdle, they have some bizarre attachment to the idea of installing a single AC charger in some random car park

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They did look into the commercials of AC charging as part of the Dublin Local Authority project, the return on investment just isn't there unless the capital funding is heavily subsidised, if an operator is 100% paying for the capital costs they estimated that the chargers wouldn't be profitable in the first 10 years.

This means for destination charging either the destination itself should fund the install (like Tesco did with eCars) or it comes from government funding. Given the blowback eCars got from the EV community for installing AC chargers at supermarkets I can see why they don't want to be in that business.

Installing one 50kW DC charger that can break even in 9 years is a much better business proposition than installing 7 7kW AC chargers that will still be losing money before they need to be replaced.

Advertisement