Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The size of car parking spaces?

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How do buses get through that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Think buses are the point of the junction? The bus lane is in the middle of the road and that narrow section allows other traffic to go on through the junction unopposed..... except by bollards.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not sure about that, the middle lane is going the opposite direction. Look at the road writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bidirectional bus lane, by the looks of it. the bollards are obviously where the 'paint removers' tag is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6756261,-0.3792627,89m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Not a good idea to allow Human Beings design road layout

• Advertisement

Surely parking spaces should be specifically designed for the biggest car?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

parking spaces should be designed for the average or median car, i'd argue; why design a car park capacity around car sizes which most cars don't match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you have read posts that state the recommended sizes then parking spaces are designed for the biggest. Its a little tight for some at 2.3 meters but enough space for the biggest car if well parked. The problem is some councils and private car park owners want to jamb in more cars to either make a point or make more money.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Definitely a problem with older car parks and newer cars. At this point if there is a free space in between two SUVs I dont bother using it as if I park in the dead centre its going to be hassle getting out the door and if parked off centre to the left the car next to me will have trouble getting in his door.

Ive wondered before is there an EU agency that has a remit over the width of cars. As they just become wider and wider they'll eventually cause more accidents on our narrower roads. Surely there has to be a point that the EU says enough is enough and regulates what car manufacturers can put on the market. Id say we've reached that point now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They already do by way of increased VRT, VAT and Motor Tax.

So your all good there.

• Advertisement

there's been a very marked proliferation in ford rangers in dublin and in general recently; a hell of a lot of them utterly spotless and gleaming, not exactly giving off vibes of being used on the farm or in construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And there was me thinking that these charges were to do with increased pollution and increased wear on the road! Remind what the connection is between these charges and the costs of private parking again please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know of one owner of a Ford Raptor and he is a head chef, he has zero need for a pick up truck. Ive yet to see any farmer buy one and theres a fair few around me.

But since they are legal people are going to buy them and car manufacturers will keep satisfying market demand for bigger and bigger vehicles, its clear that the direction of travel is towards American vehicle sizes. Which is why there needs to be a point that the EU regulates the widening of vehicles as many roads are too narrow for two of these things to pass each other without slowing right down.

As it is when I meet a SUV on my own narrow rural road with no painted white line my immediate reaction is to brace myself for coming within 30cm or 40cm of it at a speed of 70kph, thats all the wiggle room you have and if either driver gets it wrong then its big trouble.

• I remember decades ago when I got a new car, not a big one, scraping off a pillar there. Will not park there, use parallel road instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The trend of “autobesity” is forcing car park providers to think of new ways to accommodate larger cars, such as introducing wider bays. However, the British Parking Association (BPA) told Which? that adapting to the trend of bigger, wider cars was not always easy. Multistorey car parks in particular provide challenges to growing car sizes, as they are not easily adaptable and rebuilding is too costly.

Worth noting that they mention the widths of at least two models of car in that article, but they state the width without the wing mirrors.

Maybe we need SUV sized spaces with SUV sized charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Thank you. I've been saying this for ages so I'm glad someone else is supporting it.

If have no problem paying extra for a good sized space.

Also these spots should be the premium spots in the car park so that if you are paying the extra charges you're nearer the door of the shop in case of inclement weather etc.

Why should SUV owners get the premium location? If you want SUV size AND premium location, then you should be paying double double!

Suv owners should get the premium location because they are paying for it. Not really bothered about the cost, I'll happily pay it for the larger spot in the premium location.

A canopy would be nice too. Would definitely help on a day like today with the sporadic showers or the very odd day where there is blistering heat.

Would be a nice money spinner for the car park owners.

I always use the short term parking at the airport when I'm on holidays as its great to get off your flight and just a quick stroll to the car and on the road rather than having to wait in a queue for a bus at midnight to a carpark a couple of miles away and then drive back to pick up the family. Made that mistake once and it sure won't be happening again.

• Advertisement

You’re not really paying for the premium location just by paying for the larger space. Larger spaces in the premium location should be charged at a double double rate.

I made the mistake of walking to the short term car park once, never again. Now I just phone Jeeves when we land and have him pick us up in the Roller outside departures level. It’s so much more civilised.

15% wider spaces and 15% longer - just shy of one third extra for the space; closer to the entrance to spare the poor drivers an actual walk, say another third extra? all in, just a shade over 75% extra, so from hour two onwards in short term parking that'd be €7.90 an hour instead of the usual €4.50.

could work - but they should also introduce a system that if your car is wider than a certain width OR longer than a certain length, using those costlier spaces would be mandatory for those motorists?

Was away for the weekend and got a lovely space in the short term car park in the airport.

Had to drive past a few regular spaces and add about 3 minutes onto the time to get this space but it was a beaut.

Got it Friday morning around 8 o clock and while it was in the regular price would have had no bother paying extra for it.

UK

Indoor car spaces should become wider to avoid EV fires spreading to other cars & buildings, according to proposed guidelines.

The gap between parked cars should be increased to between 90cm - 120cm in indoor car parks to allow firefighters to reach burning cars faster and reduce fire spread, a report by consultancy firm Arup

So would that mean a 20% increase in the cost of parking?

Govt admits that cars are now 30cm wider

James Nix, the Climate Director of Transport and Environment, suggesting that the tax be introduced by mid-year 2024. Asked if the state should consider the tax, the introduction would be “desirable” as the “top sellers” have become up to 30 centimetres wider in the last thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I dont know what the planning permission ppl are at but it's infuriating having to squeeze out of the car everytime you go somewhere. Not to mention breaking ur back wrangling a kid out of a car seat. Pissing off nearly every potential customer surely isnt a good business model.

Advertisement