Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I hope your job doesn't involve you having to use mathematics

1. Nobody is saying we are going to use renewables for 100% of our supply in the medium term
    2. Wind and Solar are independent of each other, they counter balance each other, when wind supply is low, solar is usually high
    3. getting to 80% renewable electricity saves a load of ghgs and helps us to reduce our climate impacts which is our target for 2030
    4. Storage absolutely will be a huge part of the future grid. You are simply handwaving this away.
    5. Ireland will become an exporter of energy when conditions are favourable. This will more than offset the rare times when we need to import energy.
    6. The marginal cost of production for renewables is almost zero, there is no fuel required, and the infrastructure is already there, so this opens up entirely new markets in grid servicing and most domestic users will top up their batteries with cheap off peak power thereby making the entire grid more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Shoog

She's a sincere concerned young person - and the fact that you can't see that show your real character.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That article was posted in Energy Matters in 2016, so where you are getting "all Nuclear power plants ever built" I have no idea other than you again jumping in without a clue.

I wasn`t advocating that we granted the contract to two lads and a wheelbarrow which is basically why we have had overshoots and delays.

Show me the final cost and time frame when we will have 100% dependable renewable energy and we can do a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No she's an Adult who can have kids and vote. See we have moved to Young person. I did laugh when they rolled her out on some BLM panel as is she is some kind of expert on everything.

David Attenborough is not a climate scientist either.

Has anyone on 'my' side of the debate referenced Attenborough or Thunburg or Gore in any argument referencing the science supporting climate change?

• Advertisement

this is 2022

Al Gore's film was released 16 years ago, and I have never even watched it.

So how many nuclear power stations have been built ? You spiffy graph will tell you and the graph deals with all nuclear plants brought to completion (conveniently omitting all the abandoned projects to boot).

Lets just restate this for the hard of understanding, no nuclear power plant in Europe or America has come in on schedule or budget in the last 40years - and you imagine that Ireland will bring in a plant in your fabled median of 7.5 years. Your a comedian.

I am not prepared to wait for 20 years for that first watt of nuclear to enter our grid. We will have built more renewables at lower cost at that point.

No no it's in relation to doom mongers. 3 high profile ones. Some may not want them to exist but they do.

I have better for doing with my time than dealing with someone in a huff because they got caught out. Something that has been happening here with such regularity that you really need to check out these "expert". Or even better do a bit of research and save people time and effort having to correct you on ideas that are only off the top of your head.

• Advertisement

Its a tactic you have fallen for, you can no longer attack the science of climate change with any credibility ( because you always will lose) so you attack the personalities of advocates because it a relatable technique to paint them as the enemy of your tribe. It sad to witness really.

Wow so we can just dismiss any climate related data from that time frame also ? Seems an odd way to think.

Oh I will attack anyone lying or omitting like David. linking seals falling off cliffs with climate change is a complete fabrication.

'Doom mongers' who happen to be more supported by the science than the 'warmists' who you seem to be rolling behind?

We're almost guaranteed to reach 2c of climate change even if we reach all of our targets,

If we delay reaching those targets by building more Fossil fuel infrastructure, we're locking ourselves into 3c of warming

Every 1/10 of a degree we warm increases the risk of triggering more positive feedbacks which can cause runaway climate change

Nothing to do with greens now favourite word, "skeptic" for anyone who points out much of their guesstimating nonsense.

Al Gore came into the conversation because of the poster hyperbole of "But the real point is that Global activists have in no way been hysterical about what is to come"

I have followed the science in some considerable detail for over a decade at this stage. There have been some adjustments to the understanding of climate change over that time - refinements based on better data - but really I have seen nothing that disproves the basic premise that the earth is warming at a steady rate and this is unprecedented in 10's of thousands of years of data.

Are we making up words now what is a Warmist ? And please outline this Runaway climate change. Did Gore not buy a 9m dollar beachfront gaff around the time and has not sold it.

The word is not skeptic - it is denier. A skeptic is capable of assimilating evidence.

The IPCC is the basis of any predictions I would quote - which is based upon the collected work of thousands of climate scientists. Their predictions have not significantly changed since their first report back in the 1990's. The same predictions were been made by scientists back in the 1970's - but with less data so the predictions were more general. These prediction were also been made by scientists working for the policy divisions of companies such as Exon and Shell.

The reality of man made global warming and climate change has been well know for over 50years at this stage. The first modelled predictions of the degree of warming to expect are remarkably accurate to the data which is now been demonstrated by the datasets today.

Then perhaps you should have checked before you also jumped in with innuendoes that the poster was referring to global climate activists rahter than scientific projections.

Any idea yet as to how many wind turbines we will need ?

And the other 3bn years the earth has been habitable ? Always seems there is a cut off on how far we can go back vs proving it's unpresidented. Is it not true the last 10 thousand years has been extremely stable in the grand scheme of things. Would that not be the Unprecedented situation. There is an assumption that that's the norm.

• Advertisement

The conditions that exist now are comparable to at least one of the mass extinction events that took place in the last billion years. The difference is there is no natural dynamic driver to account for this current change. There is no cut off point in history and it is not me who is trying to suggest there is one - what is different is there is no reason for the changes now other than mans terraforming of the planetary ecosystem by his various activities. A recorded drop off of 70% of biodiversity in less than 50years, a land use change of over 50% of the land mass and a rise of 1C in average temperatures in a 100 Years has never been recorded in the geological record.

Scrambling again attempting to cover you again got it wrong on with your "All nuclear plants ever built" I see.

We hear a lot of this about timelines and budgets from greens on issues that do not fit the ideology, but when asked the same for their pet projects there is never a timeline for completion or even a vague budget. Why is that ?

For people so picky about there accuracy from others, I would have thought they would have both in great detail.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between a skeptic and a denier.

That very much covers me being skeptical of much of what you post based on the evidence of previous posts where you were posting thoughts of the top of your head where the minimum research would have shown you were evidentially incorrect.

Ofc but thats for more places to live more people more food. Trying to reduce consumption will do very little. The sheer amount of people is the issue. The west makes up what less than 1bn. But the issue is outside the west the vast majority lives. And since the industrial revolution have exploded. The west generally kept the population in check with war. Yes the west consumes a fair bit But those countries outside are now wanting the same level of comfort safety and consumption. You seem to be advocating that they should forgo Western lifestyle and either die off or revert to medieval serfdom. We all know that's not going to happen.

Offshore wind is where it's at for Ireland, and we need to be hugely ambitious about it. It's not even that palatable; but we need to take investment out of healthcare, social welfare, and various vanity projects to make it happen.

That's political poison, but it does need to happen.

Seeing as you brought it up !`m a qualified civil engineer. Admittedly I didn`t remain in the profession long as I found a more lucrative and stable way of making a living, but that does not mean I have forgotten everything I learned of which the most basic was that design is based on worst case scenario and even then includes a safety factor added. That also applies to design on counter balance.

On your third point, nuclear would do the same, even at a higher percentage and a higher degree of dependability.

On your fourth, no hand-waving away. There is not even a suggestion of storage capacity being able to handle the shortfalls we have seen three times this year for extended periods anytime soon if ever.

Five hasn`t much going for it other than wishful thinking and six we keep being told about, but when we had 42% from renewables we were the 4th most expensive in Europe for electricity which does not make for a great selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Remember that's only for America, a small carbon producer already.

Asia continues to grow exponentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

"getting to 80% renewable electricity saves a load of ghgs and helps us to reduce our climate impacts which is our target for 2030"

Ireland getting to 80% renewable electricity will reduce our climate impact by 0.0°C.

"Storage absolutely will be a huge part of the future grid. You are simply handwaving this away."

More Green unobtainium that's not going to happen. What technology will the storage be based on, and how much of it will we have by 2030, 2040, 2050?

"Ireland will become an exporter of energy when conditions are favourable. This will more than offset the rare times when we need to import energy."

Who's this "Ireland"? You do realise that wind capacity is built by private money and auctioned at eye-watering prices which are locked in for a decade or more. The latest government RESS 2 auction in May purchased 414 MW of new wind from 14 proposed onshore wind farms at an average of €97.87 per megawatt hour. It's up 32% compared to the RESS 1 auction in 2020. I thought this stuff was supposed to be getting cheaper? That is over twice the average wholesale price of electricity in 2019. (2020 was lower than that due to reduced demand, 2021 was higher due to the natural gas price spike -- neither are representative).

When we talk about the gas being produced in Corrib we're told that the money is made by evil corporations and sold at market prices. But when we talk about wind power, suddenly it's being produced by some mythical "Ireland"? If "Ireland" has dozens of gigawatts of excess capacity simple market dynamics tell you that it will be worth essentially zero on the day ahead market, not to mention that we will have nothing remotely approaching that capacity on interconnectors. When "Ireland" needs to import energy, it will be at market price (but the "Ireland" that you're talking about -- Big Wind -- won't be paying for it). Where's this "offset" supposed to be coming from?

"The marginal cost of production for renewables is almost zero, there is no fuel required, and the infrastructure is already there, so this opens up entirely new markets in grid servicing and most domestic users will top up their batteries with cheap off peak power thereby making the entire grid more efficient."

Uh, no. The grid infrastructure isn't there. We have to pay for that on top of the cost of the wind capacity. Plus we have to pay for the cost of backup generation. Simple arithmetic tells you that paying multiple times for the same power will cost you multiple times as much. And storage infrastructure isn't there and never will be.

If I'm wrong about this, show me the plan with actual figures and not just a load of Green "hopium" where they forget to tell you how this is going to kill the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Everything on this planet is derived from the Sun and or other stars. But theres nothing natural about drilling down into the earth to extract that gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Advertisement