Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Agree completely lawred2. I'm over and back to Spain all summer and while I love the heat and constant blue sky I hate the high humidity and am always glad to come back to Ireland. But that glad feeling lasts about 5 wet minutes. It's like gasping for water when parched, so after a few gulps of fresh Irish air I'm sated and then I look up at the slate grey skies, feel the cool and the rain and straight away am plotting my next get away. I've had extremes this summer as I've experienced Spain at its hottest and most humid and Kerry at its crappiest. Which is why I often yearn for a happy medium. Somewhere like France or perhaps northern Italy. Something to dream of for my retirement years, a dream I may well make come true as I don't think I could bear being old in our far too wet Irish climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I suppose. From Danno's map the northern third and the south east got away light. Where was the wavy front forecast to hit today?

Also, why did it appear dry on the radar while it rained all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

It was due to spread across the centre of the country from the west ,heaviest in a line from limerick to dublin then on into north Wales northern England

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rainfall radars can be tricky - can overstate rainfall when it falls from higher levels and alot of it evaporates before hitting the ground - we had this a fair bit during the week, then we have the "clouds on the ground" kind of day like we've had today and the precipitation is falling from quite low levels where the radars remove "noise" like hill tops, etc.. from - the rain is coming from below the radar level. (think it's set at 750m for Irish radars)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Also a rainfall radar could of been down depending on what part of the country your in

• Advertisement

A balmy and damp night here in south Laois as the rain finally eases. It hasn't been heavy at all, around 3mm/hr in a few bursts. Nonetheless, 6.2mm now recorded in the AWS. Can see the mist thicken to fog in the still night air. Temperatures 17.3c, humidity 95%!

Sub-tropical.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glightning

Totally agree and sums my thoughts right up! I'm back from Majorca a week ago. Was sweating my balls at night and getting burnt during the day, but how I love the consistent sun, heat, cicada sounds, and super balmy evenings. It's another world. I'm honestly considering what to do when I retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’ve made up my mind a long time ago what do do when I retire and it doesent involve what the summer climate of Ireland gives. Went into the Spraoi festival last night in Waterford absolute washout horrible left after about an hour soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Can I ask why so many of you go to hot and humid countries so many times if you can't stand the conditions there and are dying to come back home? I hear it every year: "We went to Majorca in July but Jaysus it was too hot". Eh, the words Majorca and July are your problem there.

On northern Italy, if you think that's a nice retirement place then you haven't factored in the stifling summer humidity there from the gentle southerly Scirocco flow in from the Gulf of Genoa. I'd recommend southern Germany for the ideal climate. Plenty of large lakes to cool off in summer yet good for those who like skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's still raining so if any of you are still in bed and have the option of not getting up yet you may aswell enjoy relaxing for a bit longer!

A trip to Cinema and Smyths on the cards today so the weather can do what it wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Met eireann currently showing full sun and no rain on the radar for my area....it is currently low grey cloud and raining. Is there a problem with the radar or met site?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Feeling pretty sticky in Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jayno66

Was the same for me yesterday on the Beara Peninsula. It rained non-stop, all day and was pretty torrential at times. Radar didn't show any rain, all day.

Overcast and quite humid in south Laois with a heavy dew on all surfaces. Cloud base must be down to 150m as can only see half the hill that rises up to my east! Brighter shade of grey looking towards the west which suggests a clearance is on the way sometime later.

AWS reports 8mm for the last 23.5hrs.

Currently 15.6c and overnight lows didn't go much below 15c at all. Almost calm - which is perfect considering all other weather conditions.

Your first paragraph is a tad patronising. If you properly read those posts you might understand. And I don't think any of us said we "cant't stand" conditions and "are dying" to come back. I said I hated the extreme humidity and would be looking forward to some Irish air, for all of 5 minutes in said Irish air. While Spain in the summer can get uncomfortable it's an easy escape route for those of us who can't stand [and this time take note how "can't stand"is used] an Irish summer. Ireland is an island pretty much dependent on air travel for exit and not every place is easily accessible for a holiday. I'd be perfectly happy here if it weren't for the almost constant muck, low temperatures, night time heating and being unable to make reliable outdoor plans which is what mainly characterises an Irish summer especially in the south west. I would also know Italy quite well and I agree parts are very humid which is why I'd also be interested in France. There are some beautiful lush green rural parts of France which would really suit me personally.True too about parts of Germany. There are in fact many places in continental Europe with a much nicer climate than Ireland. Perhaps even northern Spain. I'm open to all such possibilities. And high humidity isn't always a given in the costas. In my recent 10 day trip I was only bothered by high humidity the last 3 days. Before that it was intense heat but dry which I've no problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

I followed your advice but it's nearing noon now so will get out of the bed soon..... Has the sun come out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Warm cloudy but dry at the moment here near Trim.. hoping we can escape rain for the final in croke park today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I wasn't trying to be condescending. I was referring to what I hear people say face to face. Hundreds of thousands of Irish head south every summer but many freely admit that they don't like the heat. It doesn't make much sense to spend their 2 weeks of hard-earned days off struggling beside a pool somewhere and longing for home.

Horses for courses.

Fair enough. But many of us love the heat and long for it. And first world problems, perhaps, but the influence of weather on wellbeing should never be underestimated.

Today is bright and sunny in Kerry, if still on the nippy side, so I'm happy today.😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely sunny day with temps hitting 20c and rising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Clare, Galway and Kerry ⚠️

Heavy rain may lead to localised flooding 🌧️☔️

Valid: 12:00 Monday 01/08/2022 - 12:00 Tuesday 02/08/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in West cork after a rotten day yesterday and a dull morning, making the most of it before the rain again tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Turned into a beautiful day in Kerry after the dull start. 17.6C now down from 18.5C, feeling so fresh after the high humidity and rain yesterday ( 14.8mm ).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Beautiful day in Cork, around 23c if not even a bit higher!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic evening here in kerry,calm and warm down by the beach and a lovely red sunset to finish off the day.

Banna this evening.

Agree Meteorite58. A really lovely evening here and warm too. Hard to believe that tomorrow will be another washout.😌

Indeed a wet day to set aside, got crafts lined up to do with the young fella and the garage needs a bit of sorting, might even wash the car in the rain 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not too bad weekend in Sligo. 3mm yesterday morning. A few bright spells after lunch. Sunny day today.

Regarding the poor forecasts for rain I do remember uncertainty being mentioned on a forecast regarding Saturdays rain. This usually ends up in way more or way less than forecast happening.

It's a bit like the localised heavy shower we got Friday that flooded the garden for an 1hr. Then it misted the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Pet day here in Tullamore, county Laois. Wet week ahead 😏

Advertisement